PDA

View Full Version : 32 mag

Dr. A
11-08-2005, 04:27 PM
Just purchased a 32 mag revolver, and would like to shoot the 314120 sized at .314. This is what shoots out of my carbine the best. Would I need to open the throats up to .314? They avg. .313, with one being .312. Can anyone recommend someone that does a reasonable job with quck return time? They shoot pretty well already, but got more leading than I like. Thanks, David.

StarMetal
11-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Did you slug the bore? Might be the lube causing the leading. I think Brownells sell reamers to open cylinder throats up, not sure on this caliber tho.

Joe

Dr. A
11-08-2005, 04:42 PM
.3124 for the bore. Leading in throats only.

StarMetal
11-08-2005, 04:50 PM
Yeah it might shoot better yet if you open those throats up especially making them all the same size. I like to go over bore size by .001-.002 at least. How big will your mould cast those bullets? Won't do you much good if your mould can't keep up with the throat size.

Joe

grumble
11-08-2005, 05:03 PM
Those dang reamers ain't cheap. Something to try before you spring for the cash would be to see if the leading is caused by one drilling in the cylinder. If the .312 hole is causing all the problem while the others seem to be ok, you can try lapping out just that one throat. If several throats cause the problem, then it might be worth spending the money to get it reamed.

A bit of careful hand lapping the forcing cone might pay dividends, too.

Scrounger
11-08-2005, 05:40 PM
Those dang reamers ain't cheap. Something to try before you spring for the cash would be to see if the leading is caused by one drilling in the cylinder. If the .312 hole is causing all the problem while the others seem to be ok, you can try lapping out just that one throat. If several throats cause the problem, then it might be worth spending the money to get it reamed.

A bit of careful hand lapping the forcing cone might pay dividends, too.

Those dang reamers ain't cheap. Here's a plan: Buy your reamer; use it; sell it on Ebay for 90% of what you paid for it. Key to this plan, and for all dealings with guns, and I guess everything else, too, is to buy 'right';, don't overpay for things.

Dr. A
11-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Marshall from Beartooth gives a good explanation of what he does. Looks like his lapping compound on a bore mop and frequent measurements may make the difference. THANKS GUYS!

9.3X62AL
11-09-2005, 01:56 AM
My S&W Model 16-4 x 6" is probably the most accurate revolver I own or have ever owned. Its throats are an even .313", and groove is a fat .312". Cast, swaged, or jacketed bullets all shoot very well from it. The heavier castings I've tried--120 grain Mtn. Mold Short Fat Thirty plain base--didn't do quite as well, but one powder/load doesn't constitute anything like a conclusive test. This was the first boolit/bullet that showed any kind of powder dislike, though--with the 85-100 grain projectiles, it shot well with every fuel I poured through it at a variety of power levels. Both the MMSFT and Lyman #311316 will get test runs with a variety of powders, and I also have #313631 to try out. As stated elsewhere, these boolits will have their work cut out for them to meet or beat the RCBS 98 SWC's work.

This caliber has suffered from an identity crisis since it appeared in 1984. It was touted as a light defensive caliber for recoil-shy shooters. I don't think that is its best work--I prefer it as a small game and informal target round that provides an extension of 32 S&W Long range and striking energy. I have grassed a couple hundred jackrabbits with the 32 SWL over the years, and the 32 Mag is just more of the good thing the 32 SWL provides to the field shooter. The Model 16-4 is a pretty constant companion on desert quail hunts, where most of the jacks get contacted.