PDA

View Full Version : IBM CMP m1 carbine

corvette8n
07-11-2008, 12:59 PM
I just got an email from the CMP and I am in the queue to get an IBM m1 carbine:-D

A couple of years ago I was in Wallyworld sporting goods section and they had a shopping cart full of marked downed ammo. I bought the only two boxes of Rem 30 carbine sp's for $7.00 ea. they were 50 rounds boxes.
See what happens when you buy ammo for a gun you don't have,
so after I shoot this up I have brass.

what Lee mold works good for the carbine.

oldhickory
07-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Lee's 311-100 2R is a dandy! It's a round nose design intended for the .32 S&W long weighing in at 100grs. For my Underwood I cast them of wheelweights and drop them straight into a bucket of cold water, run em through a lubrasizer with a .310 die and Lyman orange magic.

A load of 12gr. of IMR 4227 with a W-W small rifle primer and it's off to the range! It feeds reliably in my gun and groups the same as G.I. ball, (maybe better if I played with the powder charge).

Bye the way, if you're ordering from Midway, you'll find this mold in the pistol and revolver mold section.

There's other good boolits and powders out there that may work as well or better, but IMR4227 has always been good to me and this Lee mold gives a profile very close to G.I. ball...In short, it works!

Echo
07-12-2008, 01:23 AM
I use the Lee 120 gr RNGC, and have for many years. Gives good accuracy about 11.5-12 grs of whatever.

garandsrus
07-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Corvette,

I hope you have good luck with what the CMP sends you!

I really wanted an IBM Carbine since I have been working with computers for a bunch of years. I went to the CMP North store this morning to get a Service Grade as they still had them in stock. I was surprised that they would still be in stock as they went on sale a week or so ago.

I didn't purchase one. The rifles I saw were generally pretty rough. Most of the stocks were beat up and several showed a lot of wear on the metal. Probably at least 1/2 of the IBM rifles had a non-IBM barrel, which I hadn't even thought about. A couple that were IBM barrels were stamped so lightly that I could barely see or read the letters. In all, I didn't find a rifle with the combination of wood, metal, and barrel that I liked.

Also, I had pretty much forgotten that the manufacturer id is stamped under the modified rear sight so you can't see it. The only way you can figure out who made the rifle from looking at it is via the serial number.

I have an Inland Carbine from the last batch that shoots well, so I will have to be content with it.

John

oldhickory
07-12-2008, 06:35 PM
I use the Lee 120 gr RNGC, and have for many years. Gives good accuracy about 11.5-12 grs of whatever.

I stayed away from a GC design as I wanted to shoot a cheaply and as easily as possible with my little darling. With the price of GCs what they are, I'll save em for my other .30s.

ra_balke
07-12-2008, 06:53 PM
I have gone to the Lyman 311008 with a polycheck. and 14gr 296, but lately, I have been looking at HERCO, as my old Speer manual #8 says I can use 11 grains, for about 2000 fps.

I have recently re-loaded with the 311008 with 10 gr HERCO, and a 1/32" poly check, with a pistol primer.

I have not tried them as yet, but I figure I will get 1825 fps or so, with a 118 gr bullet. I figure I can shoot 4 or 5, 30 carbine cast bullet reloads for the price of one full power re load in a AR- 15, cal .223

C1PNR
07-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Good Luck corvette8n! I also received the "Don't call us, we'll call you" email from CMP.

I've been shooting my older Standard Product Carbine for years with the 311359 pointed boolit. Shoots well for me with 12 to 13 grains of H4227. Very reliable cycling and M1 Carbine Accurate, too.:-D

Kragman71
07-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Good Luck corvette8n! I also received the "Don't call us, we'll call you" email from CMP.

I've been shooting my older Standard Product Carbine for years with the 311359 pointed boolit. Shoots well for me with 12 to 13 grains of H4227. Very reliable cycling and M1 Carbine Accurate, too.:-D

C1PNR
I second your choice of powder and bullet.
I use the IMR 4227.
I also tried 14.0 grains,but accuracy fell off.
Frank

Newtire
07-14-2008, 08:55 AM
I just got an email from the CMP and I am in the queue to get an IBM m1 carbine:-D

A couple of years ago I was in Wallyworld sporting goods section and they had a shopping cart full of marked downed ammo. I bought the only two boxes of Rem 30 carbine sp's for $7.00 ea. they were 50 rounds boxes.
See what happens when you buy ammo for a gun you don't have,
so after I shoot this up I have brass.

what Lee mold works good for the carbine.

I'd be willing to bet that you could say that each M1 carbine is an individual. Some folks swear by the Lee soup can but mine won't feed those at all.

I finally got the 311410 130 grain plainbase to shoot but can't recall the load at this time. I couldn't push it too fast or accuracy went South.

For me, the very best accuracy was with 311359 and second was Lee 120 round nose.

For a budget load, I used 8.5 grains of BlueDot (as in the old RCBS cast bullet handbook) with the 120 grain Lee. Those gaschecks take the economy out of things but $2.50 per hundred still ain't too bad.

It's a real fun gun for popping tin cans and little yoghurt containers. All my 1st time range initiates really like shooting it.

hicard
07-15-2008, 12:35 AM
Hey corvette8n. When did you submit your purchase for the IBM carbine. I sent mine in the beginning of this month and have not heard a word yet. I'm not sure they even have my email address. I sent in an inquiry by email tonight so they would have it just in case. I ordered one of the IBM Service Grades.

hicard
07-31-2008, 12:58 PM
I got an email the other day stating they had no IBM's left and asked if I wanted a rack grade IBM instead. I had already notified them I would take a Standard Products carbine if they ran out of IBM's and I declined the downgrade to a rack grade IBM. I was then sent an email stating they saw the note about the Standard Products service grade and started processing it for me. I hope it is in fairly good shape. I see now all the Standard Product service grades are gone.

garandsrus
08-03-2008, 09:36 AM
I went back to the CMP store while I was at Perry for the Nationals and found an IBM Rack Grade Carbine that had a muzzle of 2.5 (considered service grade) with nice wood and IBM on the barrel. The stock has several cartouches, including a partial FAT.

It came home with me :)

John