PDA

View Full Version : lousy shooter

brassrat
03-31-2017, 01:46 PM
So ya my new Dan Wesson .19226222 shoots big groups and maybe these chambers are rough?

2ndAmendmentNut
03-31-2017, 03:18 PM
Maybe a little... From that one picture I don't see anything that out of line. Are the empties difficult to eject? Any leading in the throats? How many different brands of ammo have you tried?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brassrat
03-31-2017, 03:55 PM
No problems with ejection but there is lead and assorted buildup after few shots. Fresh and clean, it still isn't what I call good. I have tried plenty of brands of ammo and I know, not to be shooting offhand.

NSB
03-31-2017, 07:45 PM
I bought a new Dan Wesson for silhouette shooting back in the 1990's when they first came out. The gun shot "so, so" but would simply not eject anything without using a mallet to get them out. It never shot well enough to shoot silhouette with. Three trips back to Dan Wesson and handing it to them at the 1990 IHMSA Internationals did not good at all. I ended up trading it and shooting a Ruger Single Six that shot fantastic....shot a 77x80 with it at the Internationals. I won another Dan Wesson in 1992(?) at the Region 1 Championship and sold it at the shoot without even taking it home. Probably one of my most disappointing purchases ever on a handgun. I'd guess the chambers are not truly concentric. Try marking each one and shooting a five shot (single shots) group with it and see where each chamber hits POI. Then compare each chamber. I'll bet you'll find one or two hitting quite a bit differently than the rest. That's what I found on mine. Two of them were almost 2" off at 25yds. Good luck.

dubber123
03-31-2017, 09:59 PM
I had a mint DW .22, I tried every ammo I could get my hands on and it always shot terribly, it's long gone. I hope you have better luck.

brassrat
03-31-2017, 11:40 PM
I think you guys get the picture, hopefully someone can fix this thing. I have, somewhat, but the cylinders are beyond my ability.

Bill*B
04-01-2017, 10:51 AM
Flex Hone makes an abrasive hone designed for .22 chambers, which Midway carries for around $25. I have never used one and don't know if it would help or hurt, but it came to mind when I saw your photo.

44man
04-01-2017, 11:08 AM
The very first DW's were great but they were bought out. Never seen such junk. Sand cast junk and parts that didn't work. Barrels off center. They have never come back.

NSB
04-01-2017, 12:36 PM
The very first DW's were great but they were bought out. Never seen such junk. Sand cast junk and parts that didn't work. Barrels off center. They have never come back.
My first one back in the 90s was an original....and junk. DW couldn't even fix their own junk. The one I won was also and original back in the early 90s. I didn't even bother taking it home. I think some were good and some were bad and DW couldn't tell the difference or fix the bad ones. "Once burned once learned" applies here.

fourarmed
04-01-2017, 04:27 PM
I have shot silhouette for over 30 years, and I have owned several DW revolvers, both .22 and CF. I don't think I ever knew of a good one that hadn't been back to the factory at least once to correct problems. If you had the patience, you could usually get them to shoot. In my experience, the .22s were more problematic than the bigbores.

brassrat
04-01-2017, 06:03 PM
I bought a brand new .357 in 1978 or so and it was fine, too bad I needed the $100 I got for it. My second one, bought 6 or7 yrs ago was good but really rough inside and a heavy pull. I cleaned the roughness up and its nice now. This .22 looked great inside but the cylinder looks horrible to me and the first 5 shots told me something was wrong. The guy before me left the latch, barely staying in the gun, no idea if he did something to the chambers. The hole for the rod has rough cuts that look just like the chambers, so that wasn't him

MT Gianni
04-02-2017, 09:09 AM
I wold love to see an affordable DW 22 as I would build a 32 H&R with it. As yet they have run way too much for my budget.