PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Case Prep Express Pros & Cons

SharuLady
03-31-2017, 10:53 AM
I have been looking at this model but am wondering :
1) If this unit has plastic gears (are these more likely to break or wear down faster?) or metal gears.
2) I have read some reviews that some of the tool posts have some wobble.
3) Does Lyman replace them if they become bad?
4) Is it possible to get metal gears to replace the plastic gears?
5) Is it possible to get a replacement motor if the original motor goes bad (from lyman or an outside source)?
I have sent an email to Lyman asking for info/answers in regard to my questions here but I have not received any reply from them.

So any info or opinions would be appreciated.
TYIA, SharuLady

captbligh
03-31-2017, 01:04 PM
I've been using one for a couple years and am very satisfied. It does have pretty noisy gears but see no signs of wear our wobble.
I do use RCBS primer brushes instead of the Lyman scraper. Same threads which is nice.

Sorry - haven't taken mine apart so no clue on type of gears.

OptimusPanda
03-31-2017, 01:17 PM
No trouble with mine. It is a bit noisy but it always was.

2011redrider
03-31-2017, 01:43 PM
Also had one for 3-4 yrs and no trouble with the wobble or plastic gears. Just saw it on Cabelas for 103.00 on sale, and if you do Active Junky another 15%.

SharuLady
03-31-2017, 05:09 PM
TY for all 3 of you gentlemen for your replies/comments. It is appreciated. ;)

mac60
03-31-2017, 06:01 PM
I've been using one for a couple years and am very satisfied. It does have pretty noisy gears but see no signs of wear our wobble.
I do use RCBS primer brushes instead of the Lyman scraper. Same threads which is nice.

Sorry - haven't taken mine apart so no clue on type of gears.

I had mine totally apart yesterday. It started making a lot of noise and the top of the machine was vibrating. I took it apart and everything looked right. There was something resembling grease which was actually almost sticky in several places inside the unit. I took all the gears out (they are plastic) - cleaned everything and regreased the thing and put it back together. It's much quieter now. On a side note I had the RCBS version and the motor quit working. Can't win for losing.

country gent
03-31-2017, 06:36 PM
There is a reason for the plastic gear in a lot of things. They are the "cheap" part meant to break under a too heavy load rather than a extensively machined metal part. We made a nylon gear for some feed drives so a jam would break the gear and not the more expensive harder to replace parts. They act like a shear bolt in many ways. The plastic gears also tend to run quieter than all metal gears do.

dragon813gt
03-31-2017, 06:49 PM
I've had one for a few years now. It works well for me. It takes some time to come up to speed. But that's my only sort of complaint.

It's a Lyman product. I'm under no illusion that they will fix it if it fails. I'm under no illusion that they will have replacement parts I can buy from them. They are the worse when it comes to this. I look at all their tools as disposable if they break.

daboone
03-31-2017, 10:09 PM
I can't comment on the Lyman but my RCBS unit is 6 years old. It has seen several 1000s of cases including trimming with Lee case length gauges and is still going strong. It does require some oil from time to time to quiet it down. I do know RCBS will be there if and when it fails.

No Blue
04-01-2017, 12:46 AM
There is a reason for the plastic gear in a lot of things. They are the "cheap" part meant to break under a too heavy load rather than a extensively machined metal part. We made a nylon gear for some feed drives so a jam would break the gear and not the more expensive harder to replace parts. They act like a shear bolt in many ways. The plastic gears also tend to run quieter than all metal gears do.

This is true and a good policy. The problem is when the gears aren't available or are priced like gold when they break....I have an Oster kitchen center with two (2) blown out plastic gears; haven't been available for over 20 years...

mac60
04-01-2017, 08:49 AM
I've had one for a few years now. It works well for me. It takes some time to come up to speed. But that's my only sort of complaint.

It's a Lyman product. I'm under no illusion that they will fix it if it fails. I'm under no illusion that they will have replacement parts I can buy from them. They are the worse when it comes to this. I look at all their tools as disposable if they break.

My feelings exactly. That's why I had no reservations at all about taking mine apart.

SharuLady
04-01-2017, 08:54 AM
I had mine totally apart yesterday. It started making a lot of noise and the top of the machine was vibrating. I took it apart and everything looked right. There was something resembling grease which was actually almost sticky in several places inside the unit. I took all the gears out (they are plastic) - cleaned everything and regreased the thing and put it back together. It's much quieter now. On a side note I had the RCBS version and the motor quit working. Can't win for losing.

Since I don't have this unit and not able to look inside it at present I appreciate the info you have given as to the makeup of the gears, ability to clean up and re grease the unit. I am assuming that since there is 5 tool studs that here is 5 different plastic gears and then the main gear (plastic?)(centered) to run the stud gears.

Sorry to hear your RCBS motor unit quit. Is it possible to get a replacement motor from RCBS or from an outside source?

SharuLady
04-01-2017, 09:12 AM

Ok, as to these cheap parts breaking under heavy loads to spare damage to something more crucial, I can understand that, but since they are made for this unit or something else, why could they not be available to repair or replacement. Even Lee has replacement parts for their equipment such as for the Classic Cast Turret and other items from Lee. But I do thank you for the info you gave.

SharuLady
04-01-2017, 09:32 AM

Hi, Its good to hear that your unit is working well for you. Could you explain your meaning of it takes some time to come up to speed. It is slow to start up the individual posts?

SharuLady
04-01-2017, 09:43 AM
Ty daboone, No Blue, mac60 for you comments.

dragon813gt
04-01-2017, 02:07 PM
Hi, Its good to hear that your unit is working well for you. Could you explain your meaning of it takes some time to come up to speed. It is slow to start up the individual posts?

Yes, turn it on and it slowly ramps up to speed. It's done this from day one. The motor is not over amping when it does this. It may just be an issue w/ mine. And I don't really consider it an issue. I turn it on and let it run a few minutes before using it.

mac60
04-01-2017, 06:43 PM
Since I don't have this unit and not able to look inside it at present I appreciate the info you have given as to the makeup of the gears, ability to clean up and re grease the unit. I am assuming that since there is 5 tool studs that here is 5 different plastic gears and then the main gear (plastic?)(centered) to run the stud gears.

Sorry to hear your RCBS motor unit quit. Is it possible to get a replacement motor from RCBS or from an outside source?

You're exactly right. There are 5 gears (to each of which is attached the threaded arbor for the various tools to screw into) turned by a central gear (also plastic) which has a slot in it to engage a key on the motor shaft. There is really nothing to it as it took all of 5 min. to take it apart. I haven't contacted RCBS about a replacement motor - I've heard they do not warranty their electric tools like they do presses, dies and other "hand tools" (I don't know this to be fact - just what I seem to remember reading somewhere). Something else I'd like to mention is that I didn't care at all for the design of the outside deburring tool that came with the RCBS unit. Also, the inside chamfer tool was replaced with the VLD version which has a much steeper angle (much better design). The pocket cleaners that came with the Lyman unit I didn't care for either - the wire brush type made by RCBS are a much better design.

SharuLady
04-02-2017, 11:16 PM
You're exactly right. There are 5 gears (to each of which is attached the threaded arbor for the various tools to screw into) turned by a central gear (also plastic) which has a slot in it to engage a key on the motor shaft. There is really nothing to it as it took all of 5 min. to take it apart. I haven't contacted RCBS about a replacement motor - I've heard they do not warranty their electric tools like they do presses, dies and other "hand tools" (I don't know this to be fact - just what I seem to remember reading somewhere). Something else I'd like to mention is that I didn't care at all for the design of the outside deburring tool that came with the RCBS unit. Also, the inside chamfer tool was replaced with the VLD version which has a much steeper angle (much better design). The pocket cleaners that came with the Lyman unit I didn't care for either - the wire brush type made by RCBS are a much better design.

TY once more for the additional info of the gears and placement. I have read many other reviews that have stated some of the tools were not very good or lasting. Most all of them have replaced some with RCBS tools.