PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Service

TNsailorman
03-31-2017, 10:41 AM
I have on occasion bad mouthed Lyman for their lack of service in the past. I just got off the phone with a Lyman service representative and had a very positive experience. In the past, I have had to pay for parts and shipping and handling for anything that had broken or was damaged in some fashion. Often the parts were not available. Today I needed decap pins for an old Lyman die and Lymans man could not have been more courteous. He said they would get the pins in the mail today and no charge. I finally stammered out--is that all-- and he said "yes sir" and "have a nice day". I was almost in shock. I don't know what has changed at Lyman but it was a breath of fresh air. james:-)

.455 Webley
03-31-2017, 10:58 AM
Wow happy to hear that. Last time i called they had me on hold for 35 min and they could not have been more rude.

Ithaca Gunner
03-31-2017, 11:51 AM
I've only dealt with their customer service once, I was happy enough with the result. They shipped the part right away and told me it would come with a bill. I paid it, but had the part right away. Not many would even do that. RCBS on the other hand doesn't seem to want me to pay, even when I loose parts and beg them to let me pay for them!

salpal48
04-02-2017, 06:45 PM
I have always Found That Lyman was Tops in service. many people have had different results. I also do not Mind paying for parts That I broke. Most of The time it was my Fault. . A lot Of Loader feel They should Get them For Free. I guess They Refuse to Own Up on it
RCBS seems To ship everything For free. I honestly Feel this should Not be The way
I buy a lot From CH4d. Dave's Policy Is If it's CH fault They will Replace It. If it's your Fault You pay For it.

dh2
04-02-2017, 09:03 PM
My only call to Lyman customer service was a about a broken T-mag press, it did take about two weeks but in the end I got a new press with an extra turret for $60.00 so in the end I was very happy with them

6bg6ga
04-02-2017, 10:54 PM
I'll never buy another thing from them just based on how I was treated.

Ken in Iowa
04-03-2017, 11:52 AM
Good news James. Thanks for posting.

Bazoo
04-03-2017, 08:29 PM
I had a die that was giving me trouble. I inquired about it, and they replaced the body without question. I inquired about another seating stem, and was told they'd get one out to me at no charge, it never came. I inquired about it... and no response.

MaLar
04-03-2017, 08:48 PM
I'll never buy another thing from them just based on how I was treated.
Dito here I called and was very rude with me. I told them I would never buy another Lyman product from them again.
And I haven't in over twenty years.

lightload
04-04-2017, 08:49 PM
I've used their customer service twice with no complaints. Also, in general I've never objected to paying postage on small items sent back to the factory. Over the years I've had two experiences with jerks in the shooting industry but not from top line firms like ones mentioned here. In one sense, when a company pays for everything with no questions asked, it's a marketing ploy. In the end, somebody has to pay, and it'll always be the buying public.

TNsailorman
04-04-2017, 10:23 PM
Well, I decided to follow up on the de-capping pins. I called Lyman on Friday morning. The pins arrived in the mail on Monday. No bill, just 3 de-cap pins and a Lyman stick on label. That is great service. I would not have minded paying for the pins but I do feel better about Lyman now. james

Rattlesnake Charlie
04-04-2017, 10:38 PM
For those who have had less than satisfactory service, do not give up on Lyman. They have been around a long time, and fill a valuable need. Every company at some time hires people who are less than courteous and less than competent. I deal with them every day at my work. I am hearing comments about how the Lyman quality is coming back. I hope so. We all do. How may people own and use Lyman molds? I've probably got at least three dozen. And, their M-die expander? Sent from heaven. Lyman has had tough times. Let us all hope they get things turned around.

EDG
04-05-2017, 03:13 AM
Lyman is batting about .250 with me. They usually try but not very hard. It is like most of the time they are just going through the motions until time to punch out.

dragon813gt
04-05-2017, 06:24 AM
I look at anything I buy from them as disposable. The few times I had to call them were unproductive and a waste of time. I throw away any of their products that break.

Forrest r
04-05-2017, 07:28 AM
I don't mind calling Lyman. The few times I've called them I told them what I wanted, paid for it & they shipped what I ordered.

The last time I called them was over the cast angle piece that holds the handle on their 450 sizers. I broke the thing horsing it, totally my fault. Called lyman and told them I broke it & ordered another one along with all the o-rings, lube screw, ect. Figured I'd rebuild it while I was at it. Got done rebuilding it and picked it up by the handle to look at the bottom of it and the new cast piece that I just bought broke. It had a cold lines/spider web cracks all over the darn thing when I got a jewelers loop out and gave it a good look.

Called lyman and told them what had happened. They himmed and hawed and told me to ship the new part back that broke (my dime). I did & a couple of weeks later I received a box from lyman with 2 new parts that broke in it.

6bg6ga
04-05-2017, 07:28 AM
I look at anything I buy from them as disposable. The few times I had to call them were unproductive and a waste of time. I throw away any of their products that break.

I'll have to admit I do like their newer T-mag press. I had the older version sold it and bought the one with the support bolt on the back that limits the ability of the turret to move when sizing large caliber rounds. Their customer service still sucks big time and I will NEVER purchase another one of their products period. I will stick with RCBS or DIllon products.

Bazoo
04-05-2017, 09:43 PM
This thread got me to thinking about it, and I ended up email lyman again in regards to the seating stem I was promised. We'll see how that goes.

HangFireW8
04-25-2017, 11:44 AM
Email doesn't work at all with Lee and poorly with Lyman. A polite phone call works best with Lyman. I realize not everyone can use a phone during working hours, but that's the way it is.

-HF