PDA

View Full Version : Colt Compitition Texas Plant is shut down

kmrra
03-30-2017, 09:48 PM
The Texas Colt Competition division plant Layed everyone off on Monday and will cease production , this was a decision from Colt in Connecticut. This has not been made public yet as far as I know , My friend that has the LGS here went to the plant yesterday and picked up that last remaining 14 guns that they made. Colt will be still making the ARs that they make but the Colt Competition brand will not .

Beagle333
03-30-2017, 09:50 PM
Is that rifles, pistols, or both, that were made at that plant?

kmrra
03-30-2017, 10:06 PM
They made the Competition rifles only, the head guys at colt in Heartford claimed that the AR market is going to plunge ????. It bad that those people lost their jobs since they have only been in Texas for just a couple years

kmrra
03-30-2017, 10:15 PM
I just checked their web site and it hasn't been made public yet , http://www.coltcompetitionrifle.com/ , The Plant manager told LGS friend that they will be having a auction to sell off the remaining stock. Dont know wht they are going to do with the lowers , at first he said that they were going to destroy all remaining parts in inventory so their would not be secondary source for parts , I will keep yall posted ,

imashooter2
03-30-2017, 10:18 PM
That the bottom is going to fall out of the AR market is a fair bet. Way too much supply. Good for consumers, but manufacturers have hard times ahead.

shoot-n-lead
03-30-2017, 10:27 PM
Based on the reports when those plants were opened...Colt was moving ALL of it's AR15 production to them. It was also my understanding that these plants were contract plants...contract was with an Oregon company that was building the rifles in these plants for Colt.

C. Latch
03-30-2017, 10:39 PM
That the bottom is going to fall out of the AR market is a fair bet. Way too much supply. Good for consumers, but manufacturers have hard times ahead.

Going to?

It already has. Bud's was advertising a pretty good AR for $400 last week. Several places are advertising them under $500 for complete rifles.

This had to happen. Democrats have fueled an unsustainable panic; now millions of people have rifles they didn't even want. The demand is gone.

On the flip side, pendulums swing, and in less than 4 years, demand will skyrocket again. Now's a good time to invest.

imashooter2
03-30-2017, 10:50 PM
Yes. Going to. $400 is not the bottom.

runfiverun
03-30-2017, 11:10 PM
I'm seeing various brands around the 450-500 area right now.
if I looked very hard I'm sure I could get down to 400 for one.
I bet something like an Armalite or a Stag are still much above that price point.

I got nuthin good/bad about the colt plant closing [shrug] it affects me neither way, I got no colt made guns.

C. Latch
03-30-2017, 11:14 PM
$400 is not the bottom.

Oh, I absolutely agree there. Things are gonna get cheap. ARs, magazines, 223 ammo (though the shooting sports will tend to stabilize the ammo market; people still shoot).

My oldest girl is just starting to shoot. I'll be happy if we can just get .22lr to come down in price. It's already at the point where I'd buy if I was low, but I'm not low yet.

imashooter2
03-31-2017, 07:45 AM
I'm seeing various brands around the 450-500 area right now.
if I looked very hard I'm sure I could get down to 400 for one.
I bet something like an Armalite or a Stag are still much above that price point.

I got nuthin good/bad about the colt plant closing [shrug] it affects me neither way, I got no colt made guns.

I have a pair of Colt rifles. Paid extra for the pony and knew that I was buying a roll mark when I did so. The heart wants what the heart wants. :-)

GhostHawk
03-31-2017, 08:20 AM
If I could get a complete AR for around that 300$ price tag I might well grab one.

I have no real desire for one, they do not fit my image of what a nice looking gun looks like.

60's and 70's era Remington, Winchester yeah, gleaming blue barrels, sleek red gold gleaming stocks, smooth curves.

As I see it AR's fall into roughly 2 category's.
Those who were military, who trained on the M16 and who want a gun as close to that as possible. And young wannabe's who also love playing gun gadget extreme. This part, that part, the other part, switch this, drop in that, how is it with a Red Dot? Flip up sights?

They want it to look like miltary, all black and tough. But they want to tinker.

Now I know that is an oversimplification. No need to yell at me. No insult intended.
Just no desire for one either.

rda72927
03-31-2017, 09:46 AM
I used to think just like GhostHawk, but now have a 300BLK. The one thing that I think fuels the AR market is that 99% of everything that can be done to an AR can be done with the right book and a few tools. You Don't have to be a gunsmith to work on the things.

Plate plinker
03-31-2017, 10:25 AM
Colt should move all operations to Texas. One one think that the Upper management would like the warm weather and all that too.

Omega
03-31-2017, 10:41 AM
If I could get a complete AR for around that 300$ price tag I might well grab one.

I have no real desire for one, they do not fit my image of what a nice looking gun looks like.

60's and 70's era Remington, Winchester yeah, gleaming blue barrels, sleek red gold gleaming stocks, smooth curves.

Those who were military, who trained on the M16 and who want a gun as close to that as possible. And young wannabe's who also love playing gun gadget extreme. This part, that part, the other part, switch this, drop in that, how is it with a Red Dot? Flip up sights?

They want it to look like miltary, all black and tough. But they want to tinker.

Now I know that is an oversimplification. No need to yell at me. No insult intended.
Just no desire for one either.That there is the problem, and the solution to the problem as well. There really isn't much to an AR, and they are cheap to make but it is a Lego Toy for adults that like to tinker. If the gun manufacturers want to sell ARs, they are going to have to make them more one-of-a-kind, and give them some style. Using rollmarks just isn't enough anymore, ceracoat/duracoat maybe, but my money is on those that design a little form into it such as these from Spikes:
Or function:

Also, better triggers, fluted barrels, take down versions, decent stocks etc, etc. As much as these weapons have now become the Modern Sporting Rifle as opposed to the Evil Black Rifle, they are now so common and inexpensive that everyone who wants one can get one. Is that really a bad thing?

dverna
03-31-2017, 11:00 AM
I have one Colt AR NIB so no comment on how it works. I have a pair of Colt SAA that were tuned, and they are excellent guns...and should be for the price difference over the clones.

As to the AR's in general, I was like GhostHawk until I got my first....now have a few more and building another. The AR platform has many advantages. It is one of the best MBR for a citizen to own, easy to work on, parts are not expensive, easy to change calibers if desired, can be built to be a light walk around rifle or a tack driving machine, etc etc

There is a market for pistol caliber carbines.

Always sad to see a manufacturer close shop. especially a gun maker.

PbHurler
03-31-2017, 12:17 PM
Shoot, they could produce the "snake" guns there....

[smilie=1:

yeah yeah, wishful thinking on my part

Walkingwolf
03-31-2017, 12:46 PM
No desire for an AR, but feel sorry for those who bought them purely for an investment. There will be a lot of layoffs in the firearms industry for a couple years. It will pick up come after midterms.

oldblinddog
03-31-2017, 01:13 PM
No desire for an AR, but feel sorry for those who bought them purely for an investment. There will be a lot of layoffs in the firearms industry for a couple years. It will pick up come after midterms.

If it is an investment then this is not the time to sell. Just like in the market, stock prices will be down (and up) again. So will gun prices, just have patience.

Tackleberry41
03-31-2017, 01:30 PM
EVERYBODY jumped on the AR band wagon. It was great when sales were up, now they are giving Anderson lowers away with other purchase. And all the ARs are just cookie cutter guns, seems like if you pick up 10 ARs in a shop, they are all the same except the brand on the side. I go into a shop all they sell is the carbine parts. I had to hunt for a full length stock set up. Seems in such a market they might slow production, let the demand catch up. Butt seems everybody is pumping product out, flooding an already flooded market. How about something different for once, but without the price tag. Any deviation from the basic M4 carbine, the price doubles. Then they cant sell the over priced product and say nobody wants it. No we want it, but dont think we should have to pay 2x the price because they changed the program on a CNC machine. I would like one that is designed for pistol calibers, but without paying over $1000.

dragon813gt
03-31-2017, 01:36 PM
It's all about timing the market. Many bought lots before the election. They timed the market incorrectly. I really don't need another AR. But if prices continue to decline I will be tempted to buy more parts.

I know people buy many and stack them in a safe. But outside of a war/revolution having that many does nothing for one person. Building one lower, w/ a great trigger/buttstock, and then multiple uppers is the financially sensible way to go about it.

shoot-n-lead
03-31-2017, 01:51 PM
I know people buy many and stack them in a safe. But outside of a war/revolution having that many does nothing for one person. .

Well, that same thing could be said for ANY gun...so, it is not much of an argument against buying as many as you want in any configuration that you want.

sawinredneck
03-31-2017, 02:01 PM
Shoot, they could produce the "snake" guns there....

[smilie=1:

yeah yeah, wishful thinking on my part
Indeed! But that would sure be a cash cow for Colt! For the life of me I can't understand why they won't make what customers are begging to buy? I about fell over with the news they were rereleasing the Delta Elite!
I also agree with the over priced odd calibers, I know a guy that would love a .243 AR, but that's $1,600-2k, entry level, for around $700 he can get a DPMS in .308, that works just fine!
But yes, if prices keep dropping I'm seeing another AR in my future as well, even as much as I hate the .223/5.56 rounds.

dragon813gt
03-31-2017, 02:13 PM
Well, that same thing could be said for ANY gun...so, it is not much of an argument against buying as many as you want in any configuration that you want.

You cut out the part where I mentioned I financial sensibility. Buying multiple guns typically means they cover different roles. Most gun owners don't have multiple safes full of guns. If we're talking about a single individual the modularity of the AR means you don't need to buy a complete rifle every time. But we all know that very few people do this. I have enough lowers for everyone in the house. Having any more would make little sense financially.

Omega
03-31-2017, 02:57 PM
It's all about timing the market. Many bought lots before the election. They timed the market incorrectly. I really don't need another AR. But if prices continue to decline I will be tempted to buy more parts.

I know people buy many and stack them in a safe. But outside of a war/revolution having that many does nothing for one person. Building one lower, w/ a great trigger/buttstock, and then multiple uppers is the financially sensible way to go about it.You know, I tried that. I started with one rifle, a S&W flattop and a PSA pistol lower for a 300 Blkout with a 10.5" barrel I wanted to get. But then, once I started assembling them, I couldn't leave any uppers naked! So now I have about six or so, two 5.56, two 300 BO, two .277 WLV, and almost enough parts for another, maybe a 458 SOCOM??Each has its place, and while it got a bit expensive to fire that 300 Blk at first, the prices on ammo have come down a bit too. Now that I have molds for all that, well it just keeps getting better. Oh, yea BTW I also have a few regular rifles and handguns too, which outnumber my ARs, 30/06 M1 Garand, 303 Brit, 700 Rem (two in .308) 7.62 AK, AKS, .270 .22s, 9mm, .40, .45 .22 etc etc...

Its not about having any use for them, it's about having the right to them.

scotner
03-31-2017, 03:00 PM
I started with an AR because of the 2008 scare. I liked it and found it to be much more accurate that I expected. Then got the PCC bug. 9mm required a different lower (or a mag well block, but they do not appear to be a quick change device for caliber change). Lower #3: I got the 300 Blackout bug. I wanted to use a 10.5" barrel, so I built it as a pistol. Once I got it shooting cast subs like I wanted I decided that I wanted to SBR it. Waiting on a stamp now. Granted, I could have stamped lower #1 from the 5.56 and used it for that and the 300 BLk but I live near the state line and sometimes shoot at an out of state range. Much less legal complication to travel with the 5.56 if not registered as an SBR. See how slippery this slope gets? Oh, and I have a stripped lower in the safe.

dkf
03-31-2017, 03:14 PM
Colt shut down that operation and laid off all kinds of people one week and then announced they be will hiring people at a new West Hartford facility shortly after. http://wtnh.com/2017/03/24/colt-manufacturing-to-buy-west-hartford-facilities-add-100-jobs/ Colt is a **** sellout of a company with mediocre at best product. I wish they would just go out of business and done. Stop screwing people over with revolving bankruptcies, supporting tyrannical policies, horrible management supporting a commie state and just go away.

reddog81
03-31-2017, 04:49 PM
I Dont know wht they are going to do with the lowers , at first he said that they were going to destroy all remaining parts in inventory so their would not be secondary source for parts , I will keep yall posted ,

The mismanagement with this company never ceases to amaze me. Somehow they managed to fumble into bankruptcy right smack dabble in the middle of the biggest gun buying panic ever. They could sell everything they produced at a premium price for years and still ended up in bankruptcy (How is that possible?). They just fired the manager at the custom shop due to slack in demand. The month before the firing they stopped taking custom shop orders because the wait was something like 2 years for some projects.

Ruger has been coming out with new revolver products on a regular basis for the last couple of years, Kimber has released a revolver, Dan Wesson has re-released their revolver all while Colt has twiddle their thumbs. Hopefully they can still get the Cobra out sometime this year…

popper
03-31-2017, 05:09 PM
It's WAG but IMO bullpup types are the next 'new' thing. Same modularity of the AR, more compact Let the various militarys figure out the details and mod/copy. Some new BATF rulings on SBR, etc. What is bad about a 308W or 243, 270 in a 20" total package? Sight options are so good now long rifle has not much benefit.

Walkingwolf
03-31-2017, 05:28 PM
Indeed! But that would sure be a cash cow for Colt! For the life of me I can't understand why they won't make what customers are begging to buy? I about fell over with the news they were rereleasing the Delta Elite!
I also agree with the over priced odd calibers, I know a guy that would love a .243 AR, but that's $1,600-2k, entry level, for around $700 he can get a DPMS in .308, that works just fine!
But yes, if prices keep dropping I'm seeing another AR in my future as well, even as much as I hate the .223/5.56 rounds.

Prices are strong still in the revolver market, Colt is getting back into DA revolvers. It may be too late, but the market is not flooded with quality revolvers. Colt reputation was built on their revolvers, then 1911's. I understand the new Cobra is affordable, they should sell well. A new DA full size revolver would put money in their pocket. Even Kimber jumped into the revolver market.

sawinredneck
03-31-2017, 05:49 PM
Prices are strong still in the revolver market, Colt is getting back into DA revolvers. It may be too late, but the market is not flooded with quality revolvers. Colt reputation was built on their revolvers, then 1911's. I understand the new Cobra is affordable, they should sell well. A new DA full size revolver would put money in their pocket. Even Kimber jumped into the revolver market.
Agreed! But also look at people, myself included, that would love the chance to buy an Anconda for a realistic price! Detective special, King Cobra, the list of great revolvers goes on and on, with a very high demand, but Colt won't make them?

Love Life
03-31-2017, 05:53 PM
The mismanagement with this company never ceases to amaze me. Somehow they managed to fumble into bankruptcy right smack dabble in the middle of the biggest gun buying panic ever. They could sell everything they produced at a premium price for years and still ended up in bankruptcy (How is that possible?). They just fired the manager at the custom shop due to slack in demand. The month before the firing they stopped taking custom shop orders because the wait was something like 2 years for some projects.

Ruger has been coming out with new revolver products on a regular basis for the last couple of years, Kimber has released a revolver, Dan Wesson has re-released their revolver all while Colt has twiddle their thumbs. Hopefully they can still get the Cobra out sometime this year…

I tend to think the firing of the custom shop manager and the 2 year wait have a correlation. I hope they get it worked out.

The also need to ramp up production of SAA revolvers. They could sell everyone they make for the next year at full MSRP and people would line up to buy them.

As for AR's...yeah, that's going to be a painful market for the foreseeable future.

sac
03-31-2017, 06:00 PM
I think people are getting the plant in texas and the one in West Hartford Connecticut. The Competition is different then the 6920's and 6720's and so on. The 6920, 6720 are all tier 1 ar's built to the tdp set by the government. And before everyone starts flaming me about all ar's are the same they are not, and my fill in the blank is just as good, they are not. Take some carbine classes where the ar is pushed hard and see which ones go down. Run a ned Christiansen chamber reamer in a rock river or put name here and see how much metal you get out of your supposed 5.56 chamber.

Love Life
03-31-2017, 06:08 PM
I think people are getting the plant in texas and the one in West Hartford Connecticut. The Competition is different then the 6920's and 6720's and so on. The 6920, 6720 are all tier 1 ar's built to the tdp set by the government. And before everyone starts flaming me about all ar's are the same they are not, and my fill in the blank is just as good, they are not. Take some carbine classes where the ar is pushed hard and see which ones go down. Run a ned Christiansen chamber reamer in a rock river or put name here and see how much metal you get out of your supposed 5.56 chamber.

Preach it!

kmrra
03-31-2017, 06:40 PM
Colt will keep making the 69 series guns , they are just shutting down the contract guns here in Texas. a team of Colt lawyers came down and shut the texas plant down Monday.

Texas by God
03-31-2017, 06:59 PM
I would take one of their unmarked Sport AR15 upper receivers if they'd sell me one at close out prices. Still waiting for Anderson to make some more..........
Best, Thomas.

kmrra
03-31-2017, 07:13 PM
Just got some lowers from elliot brothers last week , Anderson is catching up and releasing some now

Teddy (punchie)
04-01-2017, 06:47 PM

Just no desire for one either.

I'm in the same frame of mind, but there one everyone has .

MT Gianni
04-02-2017, 09:01 AM
Agreed! But also look at people, myself included, that would love the chance to buy an Anconda for a realistic price! Detective special, King Cobra, the list of great revolvers goes on and on, with a very high demand, but Colt won't make them?
There are also those of us who realize if we bought them Colt would not be there in 10-15 years to service them. Poorly managed company running on 40 year old reputation.

kmrra
04-02-2017, 07:40 PM
The employees bought all the AR10 platform rifles , in 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor for 500 each , they didnt last long , My friend bought the last 14 they had and they were all 223 every one of them were in the catalog and were from 1600 to 1800 MSRP, some with 18 and 20 inch barrels , all decked out and they were 465 each , that just shows you how much the profit margin is on those, granted everyone were tight guns, no slop in the fit. as of the other day Friday , they are planning on having an auction to sell the machinery and all remaining parts inventory, I have seen it and there is pallet after pallet of Uppers , Lowers , barrels , Its amazing....but they that may change before that get around to it.

kmrra
04-02-2017, 08:20 PM
here is some of the stuff I saw

sealer
04-03-2017, 12:04 PM
That there is the problem, and the solution to the problem as well. There really isn't much to an AR, and they are cheap to make but it is a Lego Toy for adults that like to tinker. If the gun manufacturers want to sell ARs, they are going to have to make them more one-of-a-kind, and give them some style. Using rollmarks just isn't enough anymore, ceracoat/duracoat maybe, but my money is on those that design a little form into it such as these from Spikes:
Or function:

Also, better triggers, fluted barrels, take down versions, decent stocks etc, etc. As much as these weapons have now become the Modern Sporting Rifle as opposed to the Evil Black Rifle, they are now so common and inexpensive that everyone who wants one can get one. Is that really a bad thing?

Please no more of these. They look like they are made for gangsta wannabes or PlayStation zombie hunters.
PULL YOUR PANTS UP AND STRAIGHTEN YOUR HAT PLEASE.
Dennis

FISH4BUGS
04-03-2017, 02:18 PM
If it is an investment then this is not the time to sell. Just like in the market, stock prices will be down (and up) again. So will gun prices, just have patience.
After getting caught in the panic, I bought 15 lowers and LPK's to put away. Couldn't hurt.

kmrra
04-03-2017, 04:45 PM
I did the same and built 10 , that was going to be my new ride , but that aint gona happen now , untill we have another panic or scare ., I have 2 that I havent finished, and I more or less put them on the back burner

tygar
04-03-2017, 05:47 PM
EVERYBODY jumped on the AR band wagon. It was great when sales were up, now they are giving Anderson lowers away with other purchase. And all the ARs are just cookie cutter guns, seems like if you pick up 10 ARs in a shop, they are all the same except the brand on the side. I go into a shop all they sell is the carbine parts. I had to hunt for a full length stock set up. Seems in such a market they might slow production, let the demand catch up. Butt seems everybody is pumping product out, flooding an already flooded market. How about something different for once, but without the price tag. Any deviation from the basic M4 carbine, the price doubles. Then they cant sell the over priced product and say nobody wants it. No we want it, but dont think we should have to pay 2x the price because they changed the program on a CNC machine. I would like one that is designed for pistol calibers, but without paying over $1000.

I'm with you on the pistol calibers. If they come out with a good .45, I'd be all over it. Have plenty of the regular ARs from 14" to 26" sniper but as someone else said, would stock up on my parts drawers when they come down. Just bought a couple bolts, other parts that were cheap.

RGR175
04-03-2017, 07:16 PM
They made the Competition rifles only, the head guys at colt in Heartford claimed that the AR market is going to plunge ????. It bad that those people lost their jobs since they have only been in Texas for just a couple years

I saw $399 AR's at the last gunshow I went to. I remember talking to someone a few gunshows ago and they said they would never get that low. I don't pay much attention to the AR market so I dont know if that is the new entry price point but I'm used to seeing the low end around $500.

EMC45
04-04-2017, 09:44 AM
ARs are getting cheaper than SKSs......

Leadmelter
04-04-2017, 09:57 PM
From what I red Colt is on its last legs. They are running out of money and products.
No hedge funds will touch them as they bought all the other gun manufacturers.
Leadmelter
MI

dondiego
04-05-2017, 02:16 PM
A friend of mine went to a LGS and laid down $1k for a new Colt SAA in .45 Colt. He hasn't gotten one yet..............that was 3 years ago. His money is still there! No wonder they are going out of business. They could sell product if they could get it to market. I told my friend that I don't think that he will ever see one. Oh, one came in to that LGS after about 4 months. It had a 4 5/8 barrel though and he wanted a 7 inch...............so I bought it!

trapper9260
04-05-2017, 02:49 PM
For how it was before. With the buying of the AR's and who was in office. The gun companys was make the money more then they was plan and they went over time and some went as far built up new plants.Some did not because they where thinking it did not last. Same as the ammo company.some did not expand and some did and now things came to drop the market for how things are now and since the ones that was in office are not any more.So now there will be other changes to come in others company.That is how I see it.

TexasGrunt
04-05-2017, 06:12 PM
From what I red Colt is on its last legs. They are running out of money and products.
No hedge funds will touch them as they bought all the other gun manufacturers.
Leadmelter
MI

Colt has been raided by a private equity fund that loaded it up with almost half a billion dollars of debt.

Colt has been on shaky ground for decades. It's not the first time the company has been bankrupt either.

Colt let other companies walk away with the 1911 business. Sure they still build them but how often do you see on on the shelf? If you do find one how many Kimbers, Springfield Armory, Remington, Ruger Sig, and other 1911 pistols are sitting beside it?

All the SAA pistols are built by the Custom Shop. They could triple production of that one item and sell everyone they make. But the owners aren't interested in building guns, they are interested in how much money they can suck out of the company before they drop it like a wet snot rag.

David2011
04-06-2017, 09:15 PM

I know someone that bought ARs 10 at a time and filled grocery carts with magazines until the store put limits on sales. No sympathy for him!