PDA

View Full Version : ? about fluxing

azrednek
07-11-2008, 03:43 AM
When casting I flux the mix often and understand why it has to be done. My question is "how" does flux work, what makes it tick. I've used everything from wood chips, lube to Midways powder but while casting tonight I started wondering how it works. I almost feel like a rookie asking but curiosity got the best of me.

dromia
07-11-2008, 04:50 AM
Best description I've read to date is by Glen Fryxell, you can read it here along with other good stuf by him:

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellFluxing.htm

Bret4207
07-11-2008, 08:37 AM
It's simple really my good man- MAGIC!

45 2.1
07-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Some folks here don't flux at all.

dromia
07-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Some folks here don't flux at all.

That is very true, me I flux by stirring with a wooden stick when preparing alloys and then only flux once with the stick at the start of a casting session. That is more habit than necessity though.

yeahbub
07-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Here's a bit of info that was posted a while back: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=214658#post214658

azrednek
07-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Thx gentlemen for the replies and links. I'm still a little curious though, 45 2.1, you suggest some folks here don't flux. Is there something to be gained by not fluxing? A friend of mine doesn't flux his mix but he is working with as close to pure lead as he can get for his muzzle loaders. He doesn't use a bottom pour pot and he briskly stirs it up with the ladle before he pours it.

Bret4207, I tried magic but it didn't seem to help!! At midnight I attached a string to a dead toad's legs, swung it around the pot three times and shouted aaabra cadabraaa. Didn't seem to help the mix any, although it made the dead toad croak out loud, saying something about voting for Obama in November. Do you think I should shout shizzam three times instead or am I better off waiting for the next full moon??

leftiye
07-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Have you tried f@rt!ng?

Linstrum
07-11-2008, 11:02 PM
Flatulence would work, it is mostly hydrogen gas, not methane as most think, although there is just a tad. Cows and other cellulose-eating ruminants are the methane farters. Hydrogen is a fair to middling reducing agent along the lines of carbon. If we humans were methane makers that would work even better since the methane molecule contains one atom of carbon. Getting close enough to a pot of molten lead to do any good, though, is something I will not volunteer for.

Fryxell's article, the link given by Dromia in his first post above, says it all, that article should be stickyfied if possible without violating Fryxell's copyright.

rl377

Junior1942
07-12-2008, 07:22 AM
I haven't fluxed at all in over twenty years. It doesn't make one bit of difference. No flux when smelting, when casting pure lead, or when casting wheelweight alloy.

missionary5155
07-12-2008, 10:55 AM
It's simple really my good man- MAGIC!

I like your LOGO.... I AGREE ! I write (E-Mail) from here in Peru... I get some replys but hey... The Squicky Wheel Gets Greased !:)

runfiverun
07-12-2008, 11:36 AM
as far as the magic part goes you gotta use the skin from the hind leg of a unborn goat fetus that was still-born under a full moon.
the harvest moon, and the string has to be buffalo hamstring....

but i only flux as needed .dirty will do it. i try to get the lead as clean as possible before smelting and during ,fluxing there.
so i can concentrate on casting when i'm doing that.

windrider919
07-12-2008, 11:38 PM
You forgot one critical item that is crutial to making magic work. No matter wheather you use a frog or any other animal part you must wear the proper Magitians Occupational Safety and Heath Appliance ( MOSHA ). In this case, you forgot the BRA on your head. For an illustration on propper wearing see the movie 'Weird Science'.

Note: This magic is not the same as is mixed into the plastic used for electric wires. This can be proved if one lets the magic smoke out of wires, they don't work any more.