PDA

View Full Version : Expanding bullet question

jp49
03-30-2017, 10:04 AM
Most states hunting regulations say an expanding bullet must be used. Are cast bullets considered to be expanding bullets?

Oklahoma Rebel
03-30-2017, 10:11 AM
I have wondered about the same thing, surely there ought to be a warden or know someone who knows one on this sight. roundballs for muzzleloaders are ok, and they also shoot conical lead slugs, so I don't see why not, but then again their rules can be contradictory.

WebMonkey
03-30-2017, 10:16 AM
Basically anything without a total metal jacket is good to go.
Plain ol' lead is extra good to go.
At least in Missouri :)
'Monkey

white eagle
03-30-2017, 10:42 AM
sure are depends a bunch on alloy choice
but most alloys for hunting expand one way or another
you could also get a hp design to assure expansion

Geezer in NH
03-30-2017, 04:27 PM
Lets see how it works.

An expanding bullet is a jacketed bullet with an expanding lead tip.

A cast bullet is a bullet made of the expanding lead used in the tip of a jacked bullet.

Please take me to court you will loose and loose the civil suit for your violation of my rights under your color of authority.

Any state that would allow that suit by their F&G need a lesson.

jp49
03-31-2017, 09:09 AM
Thank you, I appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

waksupi
03-31-2017, 10:19 AM
Shoot a bullet into a stack of wet phone books, put the recovered expanded bullet in your hunting pack, and have proof they expand.

runfiverun
03-31-2017, 11:48 AM
I wouldn't try using common sense on a game warden.
call down to the office and get an opinion and a name from a higher up and write it down so you can drop it on the warden.

LAH
03-31-2017, 01:42 PM
I wouldn't try using common sense on a game warden.
call down to the office and get an opinion and a name from a higher up and write it down so you can drop it on the warden.

Best answer.

NoAngel
03-31-2017, 01:45 PM
I've wondered about this since starting to powder coat. A person ignorant of how PC'ing works might form incorrect opinions. I suppose it would be a simple matter to file off the PC of the nose of a loaded round though.

knifemaker
03-31-2017, 07:48 PM
Expanding bullet is being used to denote that a non expanding full metal jacket are not to be used for hunting. That pretty well rules out military full metal jacket bullets. Would also rule out full metal bullets used in heavy calibers in Africa for dangerous game animals. Cast bullets are considered a expanding bullet and allowed in every state I am aware of, unless that state has a rule due to environmental reasons like we have in the Condor zone of CA.

kiwi
03-31-2017, 10:19 PM
192309Does this answer the question? 151grain HP from MP molds impact velocity about 900 fps recovered from a Sika hind.

Mk42gunner
04-01-2017, 12:21 AM
The best answer I can give is to check your state hunting regulations; if the answer isn't clear, request clarification. No one I know wants their name associated with case law.

The last time I checked, Missouri specifically stated cast lead was acceptable.

Robert

richhodg66
04-01-2017, 05:45 AM
Aside rom water fowl hunting, has anybody ever had a warden even look at your ammo? I sure haven't. I've been stopped for license checks a few times and that never even was brought up.

Hickory
04-01-2017, 07:51 AM
One thing for sure, never volunteer any extra information to any law enforcement officer. Anything you say can and may be used against you in a court of law.

Brett Ross
04-01-2017, 08:41 AM
Here in Iowa we can only use shotguns, muzzle loader or handguns. The handguns must be a listed caliber and use "expanding bullets". I called our DNR and ask if a soft lead bullet would qualify, they said no, it was not designed to expand. I then ask what about a jacked bullet did they consider designed to expand and the guy said hollow point. I took this information and Goodsteel was kind enough to make me a jig to hollow point a 45 cal boolit. I have not been close enough yet to try it out or been stoped by a DNR officer but have little doupt I woud be fine. I could possible have a fight on my hands depending on the DNR guy and his mood but I think it unlikly with the hollow point.

wildwilly501
04-01-2017, 11:08 AM
Lets see how it works.

An expanding bullet is a jacketed bullet with an expanding lead tip.

A cast bullet is a bullet made of the expanding lead used in the tip of a jacked bullet.

Please take me to court you will loose and loose the civil suit for your violation of my rights under your color of authority.

Any state that would allow that suit by their F&G need a lesson.

That's fine in theory but when your 1500 miles from home and they make the hearing two days before Christmas.Mine wasn't about cast bullets but $110 dollars and no guarantee I'd win I wasn't spending the travel expense to fight it.I think a lot of game warden know that and fine nonresidents when they wouldn't fine locals.The best thing would be to have the paperwork in hand from the main office

tdoyka
04-01-2017, 04:21 PM
but what about .512" that goes water quenched wheel weight/lead(50/50) ?

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d62/jwp475/LinebaughSeminarJackson2007007.jpg (http://s33.photobucket.com/user/jwp475/media/LinebaughSeminarJackson2007007.jpg.html)

glockky
04-01-2017, 06:37 PM
192309Does this answer the question? 151grain HP from MP molds impact velocity about 900 fps recovered from a Sika hind.

What alloy are are you using there? I just bought that mold but haven't cast with it yet. I plan to run it in the 300 blackout bolt gun.

kiwi
04-02-2017, 06:16 PM
What alloy are are you using there? I just bought that mold but haven't cast with it yet. I plan to run it in the 300 blackout bolt gun.
Hi glocky, my alloy is 50/50 ww/straight with tin add to fill out the mould and some copper sulphate it's been tested at 14BHN, I sell them online sold about 5000 since December getting good feedback on accuracy and performance on animals, most customers are shooting them in .308's and 300BLK bolt guns at subsonic speeds one is using them in a 30/30 at 1630 fps very deadly on deer not as much meat damage as I thought there would be makes a mess of the engine room, all the recovered bullets look the same as the photo, expands to .420"-.500" You will really like your mould all my MP moulds are great. Robert.

glockky
04-03-2017, 09:04 AM
Looks like I may need to go a little harder than I had planned. I got some samples of the bullets before I purchased the mold. In my rifle the accuracy wasn't good until I approached 2000 fps. 1" dot at 100 yards. Still some work to do but I am pretty sure I can get it under an inch.

Oklahoma Rebel
04-06-2017, 11:43 PM
for 100 yards, with that being a 1inch dot, that aint bad at all, your only what,3 inches of with a 1 1/2" group? better then I could do, but I have only iron sights

trapper9260
04-07-2017, 07:18 AM
Here in Iowa we can only use shotguns, muzzle loader or handguns. The handguns must be a listed caliber and use "expanding bullets". I called our DNR and ask if a soft lead bullet would qualify, they said no, it was not designed to expand. I then ask what about a jacked bullet did they consider designed to expand and the guy said hollow point. I took this information and Goodsteel was kind enough to make me a jig to hollow point a 45 cal boolit. I have not been close enough yet to try it out or been stoped by a DNR officer but have little doupt I woud be fine. I could possible have a fight on my hands depending on the DNR guy and his mood but I think it unlikly with the hollow point.At one time last year i was at a trapper convention and ask one game warden about something and the other one jump on me and it was not what I was asking and the one I was asking told him off that is not what he is asking. So the one I was asking explain to me what I ask. So I would ask the main office or field office not someone that try to make there own laws that is not the state.The game warden I have in my county is good and he dose check the laws to let me know the detail of what I ask. he comes to the house to tag my otters also and had someone contact me to take care there beaver problem also.So I am lucky for the one I have .

LeadPoisonTX
04-08-2017, 03:34 PM
Aside rom water fowl hunting, has anybody ever had a warden even look at your ammo? I sure haven't. I've been stopped for license checks a few times and that never even was brought up.

It depends on the Game Warden you get that day, and on his/her mood/irritability/hunger/lack of sleep/etc, etc. My encounters have mostly been courteous and civil. However, I did get a younger Warden that ask to see me broadheads. I complied by handing him my quiver. He took out each and every arrow and ran his fingers through all my broadheads. After licking his bloody finger, he thank me and wished me good luck. Better safe than sorry.