PDA

View Full Version : Which Swede is this??????

Marine Sgt 2111
07-10-2008, 11:34 PM
Gentlemen, could one of you tell me which model Swede this is in the pictures. It has 1904 over the breech and sports a 17" barrel. It was very reasonable and shoots cruise missles like no tomorrow.

Thanks for your input

Frank46
07-10-2008, 11:53 PM
Just a guess. If it has a slot in the buttstock and #1MKIII enfield type iron around the front sight it may be a 1894 swedish carbine. Would need to see more pics. But have seen a few cutdown rifles with chopped stocks along these lines. Better post more pics. Frank

mtgrs737
07-11-2008, 12:07 AM
Is that the Lyman #57 rear target sight? If so how do you like it? Can you post a few more pictures of the rear sight and how it mounts?

Dutchman
07-11-2008, 01:41 AM
You're not showing enough to say which model it is.
The serial number will tell if it was a carbine or m/96 rifle
but if its been sporterized then it doesn't matter anymore
as its just a small ring 1894/1896 type action.

Dutch

Larry Gibson
07-11-2008, 12:36 PM
That is a Williams reciever sight BTW.

Larry Gibson

45 2.1
07-11-2008, 12:47 PM
Bolt handle and barrel length says it should be a 94.

Marine Sgt 2111
07-11-2008, 11:52 PM
God I love this board, so many good people and so much knowledge. The rear sight is a williams as is the front one, the stock looks to be a fajen with a monte carlo cheek piece and a black plastic forearm tip. serial number is KB 272XX, Carl Gustafs Stads, Gevarsfaktori, 1904 is stamped over the breech area with a crown and a "C" over the top of it all.

TCFAN
07-12-2008, 12:26 AM
Marine SGt 2111

Can you tell me a little about the load with the cruise missile and how it shoots.

Does it make round hole in the target or egg shaped holes.

The reason I ask is that I have a rifle just about like yours. Mine has Redfield peep sights and a lyman 17-A on the front. It makes egg shaped holes in the targets at 50 yds.with the Lee cruise missile.

My barrel is also 17 inch and the date on mine is 1914

So I would like to know what powder and other load info you use if it is not to much trouble......Thanks....Terry

Dutchman
07-12-2008, 04:14 AM
God I love this board, so many good people and so much knowledge. The rear sight is a williams as is the front one, the stock looks to be a fajen with a monte carlo cheek piece and a black plastic forearm tip. serial number is KB 272XX, Carl Gustafs Stads, Gevarsfaktori, 1904 is stamped over the breech area with a crown and a "C" over the top of it all.

It is/was a m/94 carbine.
http://www.rebooty.com/~dutchman/94swede.html

The reason I discount the bolt to identify a particular model, especially this one because its blued and the only Swedish issue blued bolt was on the m/41b sniper rifle. And bolts can be replaced easily. Same with barrel lengths. So serial numbers is the only exacting method and with the two databases of serial numbers at my website, one for m/96 rifles and the smaller database of m/94 carbines, there's no question what it is. The m/96 database has in excess of 1% of total production of m/96 Swedish Mausers. Over 550 rifles = 1% of the half million made. This research tool is unique on the internet for Mauser military rifles.

The only load I've fired with the Lee 170 gr in the m/96 29" barrel is 13.4 grs of 2400. It shot under 1 MOA at 50 yds with 5 shots.
Its a fairly mild load. I was pretty impressed with it.

There is a m/94 carbine that has straight bolt handle:
http://www.rebooty.com/~dutchman/skcarb1.html
They're very rare and worth more money than they should be but this one turned up in the U.S.

Co-inkydinkyly - I live in the household of a former Marine sergent. My son-in-law was 8 yrs out of Camp Pendleton. Sometimes with the Pacific fleet, Japan, Okinawa and sometimes other places meeting interesting people and...
My eldest granddaughter, 11 yrs, was born at Camp Pendleton. She doesn't get offended if we call her the little Jarhead.

Dutch

Marine Sgt 2111
07-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Marine SGt 2111

Can you tell me a little about the load with the cruise missile and how it shoots.

Does it make round hole in the target or egg shaped holes.

The reason I ask is that I have a rifle just about like yours. Mine has Redfield peep sights and a lyman 17-A on the front. It makes egg shaped holes in the targets at 50 yds.with the Lee cruise missile.

My barrel is also 17 inch and the date on mine is 1914

So I would like to know what powder and other load info you use if it is not to much trouble......Thanks....Terry

the cruise missle sized to .266, with a gas check, Red Rooster HVR lube, 92-2-6 alloy, air cooled, 10grs of Unique. The holes do from time to time start to look egg shaped but 5 shots go into 1". Bear in mind this is just the beginning of load developement. I use Lapua brass and large pistol primers.
:Fire:

Dutchman, thanks so much for the info. I picked her up for $75 (big old grin) and with the short barrel she's my flat shooting adopted 30-30 carbine. Thanks again.