PDA

View Full Version : Help on 44 Wc

Drm50
03-29-2017, 07:40 PM
I been looking to pick up a 44WC mold. I've been looking for over a year, about
ready to give up on finding a deal on used mold. I'm not interested in any Lee
products. Am looking for one that drops .430" or more and is in 200gr + or minus
range. Going to break down and buy new. Need some input on where and what is
best one to get. Don't want to get involved in a custom cut mold, just something
I can order up. Want for Bullseye with 44sp. at approx 800 fps loads. Seems like
the few times they pop up for sale I'm 5 min late. Makes me want to kick the cat.

Jack Stanley
03-29-2017, 09:30 PM
Best one I ever had was a H&G 107B I think the number was . Don't know if anyone is still making those but the first place I would look is at Accurate molds .

Oh and get one with lots of cavities , I found the S&W loved them .

Jack

Jack Stanley
03-29-2017, 09:35 PM
I just went over there and looked and 43-190W looks similar to the one I had . The 43-200W would be nice if you load by the bucket full .

Jack

shoot-n-lead
03-29-2017, 09:51 PM
43-200W...best bet, in my opinion.

bobthenailer
03-30-2017, 08:56 AM
I started with the Lee 2 cavity wc mould about 30 years ago ( it broke) . then bought a Saeco 4 cavity mould #944 200gr WC that I have been using for about 25 years, I bought the 944 for shooting bowling pins where it excels !

TexasGrunt
03-30-2017, 03:36 PM
NOE also makes a couple of nice looking .44 WC molds.

They have a 215 gr hollow base that looks awesome.

ShooterAZ
03-30-2017, 05:00 PM
I got the this one in two cavity from Accurate http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=43-190W-D.png

I can recommend it in a heartbeat. It casts at 195 grains lubed, and shoots better than I can hold.

fatelk
03-30-2017, 06:36 PM
I have an old H&G 107b 4cavity that I've been thinking about selling. It makes great bullets but I just never use it. The only reason I haven't sold it yet is I just don't know what to ask. It seems that prices are all over the place on eBay.

JeffG
03-30-2017, 10:38 PM
Take a look at NOE's 432-246-WC. I posted a thread about it, below. It comes with 3 pins it you want to turn it into deep or shallow HP.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?322181-New-NOE-432-246-WC-Mold

I been looking to pick up a 44WC mold. I've been looking for over a year, about
ready to give up on finding a deal on used mold. I'm not interested in any Lee
products. Am looking for one that drops .430" or more and is in 200gr + or minus
range. Going to break down and buy new. Need some input on where and what is
best one to get. Don't want to get involved in a custom cut mold, just something
I can order up. Want for Bullseye with 44sp. at approx 800 fps loads. Seems like
the few times they pop up for sale I'm 5 min late. Makes me want to kick the cat.

44man
03-31-2017, 09:59 AM
I will forever be confused, WHY a wad cutter in a .44?

Jack Stanley
03-31-2017, 10:14 AM

It's for those of us that used a model twenty-nine in Bullseye and IDPA competition . Big hole on the paper , light recoil and , if you practice regular . You got to beat the guys that spent more money on their pistol than you had in everything you brought to the range ............ including your truck . It's just a matter of having fun with a deer gun .

Jack

ShooterAZ
03-31-2017, 10:16 AM

I'm not sure confused it the right word for you. Maybe it's because people like wadcutters, and enjoy shooting them?

HABCAN
03-31-2017, 10:59 AM
Too bad you don't want LEE: I have used the LEE 215 gr. SWC with extreme satisfaction for years.............and now it PC's well too.

shoot-n-lead
03-31-2017, 11:14 AM
Too bad you don't want LEE: I have used the LEE 215 gr. SWC with extreme satisfaction for years.............and now it PC's well too.

Lee has not offered a .44 full wadcutter for years.

44man
03-31-2017, 12:48 PM
Lee has not offered a .44 full wadcutter for years.
I wonder why? With the hundreds of boolits I have run through a .44, My last would be a WC. Really, what is it good for?

JeffG
03-31-2017, 02:04 PM

I'm using it in a CA Bulldog for up close and personal.

shoot-n-lead
03-31-2017, 02:10 PM
I'm using it in a CA Bulldog for up close and personal.

And, it is a fine choice for that application...nothing better.

Forrest r
04-01-2017, 02:40 AM

No big surprise there, at least you're not parroting about bullet lengths in this thread.

44man
04-01-2017, 09:10 AM
I must have shot several thousands of the things and they are good at hand shake ranges and cut holes but I never shoot close. Only a pistol or .38 or such.
I agree they would be great for pins or to clang steel. I still opt for a RNFP or such. Why not let the ogive turn the cylinder to alignment?
That is my gripe with a wad cutter, it slams an edge into the cone, same with a Keith. The gun must be perfect chamber to chamber and few are.
Revolvers are made with a tiny play, super tight ones wear the cone, rifling and throats off center. The boolit nose steers the cylinder.

Forrest r
04-01-2017, 09:49 AM
I must have shot several thousands of the things and they are good at hand shake ranges and cut holes but I never shoot close. Only a pistol or .38 or such.
I agree they would be great for pins or to clang steel. I still opt for a RNFP or such. Why not let the ogive turn the cylinder to alignment?
That is my gripe with a wad cutter, it slams an edge into the cone, same with a Keith. The gun must be perfect chamber to chamber and few are.
Revolvers are made with a tiny play, super tight ones wear the cone, rifling and throats off center. The boolit nose steers the cylinder.

Just because you can't something to shoot doesn't mean no one else can.

Yup it's always the guns fault.

Forrest r
04-01-2017, 10:04 AM
There's a lot of excellent wc molds out there for the 44cal's. The saeco, accurate and noe offerings will keep you busy looking for awhile.

It really comes down to if you want a flush seating, button nosed or tapered nosed wc. Or you could look around for wc designs that use both 44spl & mag brass like this bullet.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/custom44wc_zpsklzw5lwr.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/custom44wc_zpsklzw5lwr.jpg.html)

Same load/accuracy with 44spl cases or flip the bullet around and use the same load in a 44mag case simply by crimping the bullet on the different end grooves. Or it can be seated flush or crimped in the middle lube groove.

There's just too many excellent designs out there not to try at least 1 or 2 different molds.

That is if your gun isn't broke:kidding:

Hardcast416taylor
04-01-2017, 11:37 AM

I guess that this really proves how long in the tooth I am. I still have 2 of the LEE 44 cal. 208 gr. WC molds that are working fine. Shot them thru my Blackhawks and Model 29 for probably 10 years when I ran an indoor bullseye course out to 60 ft. I picked up a Saeco 200 gr. WC mold along the way and it also shoots very nicely. I used Win. 231/HP-38 and Red Dot powders mostly in the 6 - 7 gr. ranges for all the powders. Very mild shooting actually fun to shoot big bore handgun that women and even youngsters can shoot without developing a nasty recoil flinch. `Flying Trashcans` I called them.Robert

44man
04-01-2017, 11:41 AM
Just because you can't something to shoot doesn't mean no one else can.

Yup it's always the guns fault.
Show how. I am open to everything. Have you ever shot a 2-1/2" revolver group at 500 yards? Can you shoot 1" targets at 100?192337Ever shoot a shotgun shell at 100? I was 1/2" right with the first shot, corrected and hit the second shot. I stink compared to some of you. 192338My friend was shooting this can with a rifle at 100. I stood it on the rail and shot with my revolver, had to walk and put it up after every shot but the hole in the top is 5 shots.
Come back expert.

Charliemac
04-01-2017, 12:18 PM
I asked Tom to design a 185 dewc to use my Dad's well used S&W m29. Its a 43-185V, I am very pleased with it.
I use the ideal 429421 for high power loads in my Ruger SBH. $ .02

44man
04-01-2017, 01:17 PM
I asked Tom to design a 185 dewc to use my Dad's well used S&W m29. Its a 43-185V, I am very pleased with it.
I use the ideal 429421 for high power loads in my Ruger SBH. $ .02
Yes the old 429421 was a good boolit. But it needed hot with 22 gr of 2400.

Forrest r
04-02-2017, 12:54 AM
Show how. I am open to everything. Have you ever shot a 2-1/2" revolver group at 500 yards? Can you shoot 1" targets at 100?192337Ever shoot a shotgun shell at 100? I was 1/2" right with the first shot, corrected and hit the second shot. I stink compared to some of you. 192338My friend was shooting this can with a rifle at 100. I stood it on the rail and shot with my revolver, had to walk and put it up after every shot but the hole in the top is 5 shots.
Come back expert.

Nice more pictures of range trash!!!
Ya used to shoot ihmas, found it boring. Monkeys with broken hacksaw blades could make a pistol work for that lame sport. Too caveman simple for me, but others use the same load that been around for decades and go to the ranges every weekend and still do the same thing 30+ years later.
I still shoot ihmas, but only standing silhouettes. I'm sure you'd find that too easy for your shooting skills seeings how you can hit 1" targets all day long @ 100yds. To bad you never got into shooting free pistol, you would of been a world champion. Anyone that can hit a 1" target all day long @ 100yds could easily hit a 1/2" target @ 50m all day long. In the 125+ year history of the sport no one has ever done that. For some odd reason your keyboard does it twice a day every day.
Shooting a pistol/revolver @100yds ain't s#%t, used to setup bowling pins @ 100yds instead of 25ft. Same rules yada-yada-yada. Still setup them shotgun shells you keep posting at 50ft instead of bowling pins, same rules.

I have no idea what any of this has to do with wc bullets??? But as usual it's all about you!!!!

Good job as usual 44man

44man
04-02-2017, 08:35 AM
I need a rest now, can't hold still anymore. 1" targets were from sandbags. So was the shotgun shell.
I make the point that it is steerage into the cone and bore, clocking the cylinder that a WC or SWC does not have. You can see what I am saying if you stick the nose of a SWC into the muzzle and wiggle it.
I had to transfer and shoots were too far, got expensive. I won Ohio state, 79 out of 80, production revolver, SBH, Creedmore. International class. I won state .22 the same year, new Mark II with no sight settings. 57 out of 60, missed the first pig, turkey and ram. Good spotter seen misses. I also cleaned all the shoot off chickens with both guns. 100 yards and 200 meters.
In the Mark II I used WW Wildcats, they out shot all others back then.
I shot with the best, Blacky Sleeva, Boyd Carpenter, Josie Engle and more. I could not afford the time or money for nationals.
Don't add to what I say, I only claim to make revolvers shoot. My targets are at the distance I say.