PDA

View Full Version : Renegade Refinish/Large scratch Removal

Edward
03-29-2017, 02:37 PM
I have just purchased this stock and it will be coming with a large scratch and know there are some talented folks that might have some suggestions in how to remove it . Who ever checkered a TC stock spent some time at it and I would like to leave it intact and try to work around it though I probably will not match the stain ,(lighter or darker) it will not bother me as long as I get close . I am pretty sure it is not a factory finish and do I go up to edge of checkering doing entire stock or try section repair and hope to get close with stain ? Thanks for advice/Ed192123192124192266

Geezer in NH
03-29-2017, 02:45 PM
I would toothbrush a light coat of True-oil into it and wipe with a non lint cloth.

Edward
03-29-2017, 03:05 PM
I guess that could be the 1st thing to try when I get it as it sure sounds like a simple solution and I like simple /Thanks Ed

44man
03-31-2017, 09:29 AM
There are things that can't be done. It will be there forever unless totally refinished. You can feed Tru-oil in with a toothpick but it will be there anyway.
Consider it a beauty mark like a gorgeous woman with a mole on her face.
The rest of the stock is so pretty, I would ignore the scratch. That is one perfect checkering job.

bruce drake
03-31-2017, 01:51 PM
Not many people do skip-line checkering anymore.. Beautiful work. If its not a presentation piece, its had some character added to it that I would protect the scratch as others have mentioned.

country gent
03-31-2017, 05:01 PM
Oh come on guys that scratch came blocking an Indians stone tomahawk. LOL its all in how you describe it. You might be able to get some close matching saw dust by taking a small piece from under the butt plate and sanding it down. work some glue into scratch and work the sawdust in to fill it may still show some but will be smooth.

webfoot10
03-31-2017, 08:56 PM
Try putting a damp cloth over the scratch, then apply a hot iron to it. might raise the scratch
up enough to buff out with fine steel wool. Then rub the linseed oil in till smooth. I've done
a few and it does work.
webfoot10

LAGS
03-31-2017, 10:03 PM
Go for the Sweating the dent out first before you do any kind of fillers.
It may not take it all out if the wood fibers are broken on the surface, but it will lessen what you have to fill later if anything at all.

John 242
04-01-2017, 06:56 PM
If it's a scratch, steaming the stock may not lift it out. If the fibers are cut, they won't lift. If the pores are filled with stock finish or sealer, you won't be able to lift that scratch.
Dents and dings will lift out, but deep scratches not so much.

There's a potential of discoloring the stock in the area you steam. Depends on the stock finish that's on the gun. I would attempt to lift the scratch IF I was refinishing the entire stock. Otherwise I would leave it alone. I'm not a stock maker though and many of these guys have a lot more experience than I do.

You have to ask yourself whether the risk is worth the reward.

irishtoo
04-02-2017, 06:51 PM
I would toothbrush a light coat of True-oil into it and wipe with a non lint cloth.
+1. do the least amount of repair you can first, you can always do more. irishtoo

triggerhappy243
04-04-2017, 12:32 AM
I was going to say, if the scratch was an impression as well as a scratch, steam could lift it out some. using a quality magnifying glass will be a big help.

David2011
04-07-2017, 05:57 PM
If the stock is dented the steam technique may raise the dent. If it's a scratch into the grain it probably won't help but that's a trick I've used many times. If the existing finish is oil, additional Tru-Oil should bond to it very well. If it does, try rubbing additional oil in with 400-600 grit wet or dry sandpaper. It might almost disappear.