PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite local eating joint ?

Boaz
03-29-2017, 01:02 PM
I am 'blessed' (questionable since I'm constantly trying to watch my weight) that Prines BBQ is 5 min drive from my work . Third generation family owned , started in 1925 ...these folks are doing something right . Second oldest BBQ joint in Texas . Went to high school with Allen Prine the present owner back in the 60's .

https://tmbbq.com/interview-allen-prine-of-prines-bbq/

Skinny
03-29-2017, 01:05 PM
Anything out of my smoker, first.
Second place would be Longhorn-maybe.

tward
03-29-2017, 01:11 PM
You guys are lucky, BBQ culture at your door, NYS not so much:cry:, Tim.

jsizemore
03-29-2017, 01:15 PM
Breakfast 5 days/week. I ain't got enough to sit at the Table of Knowledge.

http://www.wral.com/lifestyles/travel/video/7576954/

Skinny
03-29-2017, 01:18 PM
I thought NY had everything

bubba.50
03-29-2017, 01:37 PM
in no particular order King's Buffet Chinese restaurant, Texas Roadhouse, Sal's real Italian restaurant, Dixie Barbecue, The Bull & Bones, and the Chicken Bus that parks at a nearby market once a week & sells smoked chicken halves. now if we just had a decent seafood restaurant nearby.

bubba.50
03-29-2017, 01:40 PM
forgot to mention, Aly's for subs and the Brush Mountain Buffalo Restaurant for the best buffalo burgers ever.

clum553946
03-29-2017, 01:45 PM
Double LL Steakhouse & Saloon, best bone in Ribeye in the territory!

1911sw45
03-29-2017, 02:03 PM
For steaks it would be Charley's stake house at Fort Campbell, KY not to be confused with o'charleys. But it burnt down over ten yrs ago. So I say Texas Roadhouse.

Bbq is Nock'em Hill in Herdon KY.

jcwit
03-29-2017, 02:12 PM
Without a doubt, a place called "The Blue Gate" in Shipshewana IN. Amish type cooking and even the mashed potatoes are made from scratch. Second best is "The Essen Haus", in Middlebury, IN, again Amish style cooking.

Anyone get up in No. Indiana stop into one of these and give it a try!

Tom W.
03-29-2017, 03:01 PM
For shrimp it's Pat's Backwater Restaurant in Fortson Georgia. For BBQ it's 13th Street BBQ in Phenix City Alabama and for steaks it's Fred & Lester's in Ft. Mitchell Alabama. Pat's has home made onion rings, jalapeno hush puppies, and a bit of horseradish in the cocktail sauce. Fred & Lester's grow their own beef, and the BBQ place is a small place that is always packed.
With Columbus Georgia literally a stone's throw across the Chattahoochee river we are blessed with good places to eat. Another is a Mexican restaurant, The Blue Iguana, that is also great. Plus they have $5 margaritas, so when we go there I drive home. It's hard to find bad place to eat around here, but Red Lobster has fallen off our list. The last three times we went there we were both disappointed.

country gent
03-29-2017, 03:18 PM
Theres a little restaurant out here in the middle of the country Called the Log Cabin. Used to be one of the original dive bars. A new owner bought it and refurbished it to like new, Great food and atmosphere around 8:00 the lights go down and it becomes more bar than restaurant. Its a great place and also fairly reasonable. I also like Tony Packos for chilli dogs and some of their other dishes.

Harter66
03-29-2017, 03:22 PM
Well I have a few places I still go out of habit . None of them are amazing and only the service makes a few really stand out .
Oriental The Wok , clever advertising tags , Fallon 72 miles
The Wonderful House , English not so good , great Wonton soup Winnemucca 170 miles .
Mexican Seafood restaurant El Pascador, there's these shrimp poppers Reno 145 miles .
La Fiesta Fallon , not top shelf but I wouldn't discourage it , good folks .
Changing buffets
The Rotisserie in John Ascaugas Nugget , servers are always at your table , glasses don't get empty and orders don't have mistakes if they do it was a misunderstanding and the customer is always right even that loud donkey that every body in the place knows is 180 is right ........ Although it might be hard for him to get another reservation in the future .
Trader Vick's is top shelf there also for island seafood .

I haven't had a note worthy Breakfast in 15 yr .

The Pizza Barn in Fallon gets good marks
Our local Old Nevada pizza is good most of the time .

Man , a list like this makes me wonder .

BBQ yeah right .......... Sauce is a condiment not an ingredient .

Burgers
I've had a few around but none that make me want to go just for a burger .

Steaks are hit and miss .
Top Rib roast ?
The Nugget for best quality
Dealers choice of 3-5 if you just want to binge . They're all too heavy handed with the sage trying to make up for.the lack of range beef .

NSB
03-29-2017, 03:29 PM
You've got Sticky Lips and Dinosaur both in Rochester, NY. I've eaten BBQ all over the country and there's nothing wrong with either of these places. Both very good. NYS in general doesn't have a lot of BBQ (the real deal), but they have some that's pretty decent.

starnbar
03-29-2017, 03:44 PM
The places where we used to go were family owned and when mom and pop got too old to run them the kids took over and it was food out of cardboard boxes and plastic bags. There is one diner left we still go to and when pops get too old to run that one we will be sol.

shooterg
03-29-2017, 03:45 PM
Here in the hometown, Texas Inn for a western and a bowl. Mama Crockett's donut truck for fresh hot apple cider donuts in the AM.
Waffle House for the 2AM hungries 'cause I LIKE my grits. Shrimp and grits and crabs, nothing as good as Shiver Me Pinchers in South Myrtle Beach, SC. No exceptional BBQ close by, about 90 miles away in a burg called McGheayville, a joint called Hank's.
Sad truth is though, most mornings find me at Hardee's 3 miles away with a gravy biscuit and coffee(under $2 for geezers) or splurging for a ham biscuit at BoJangles. This IS making me hungry....

Love Life
03-29-2017, 03:51 PM
Albany Fish Company

bubba.50
03-29-2017, 03:58 PM
forgot to mention the BP travel center 10 miles up the Interstate that fires up the smoker out back on Fridays in warm weather & turns out racks of ribs all day.

Reverend Al
03-29-2017, 04:08 PM
We have a local place called "Floyd's Diner" (2 of them in town) and they are awesome. Good food and friendly staff. Been going there for years and we've never had a bad meal once. Large portions at reasonable prices.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g154945-d783560-Reviews-Floyd_s_Diner-Victoria_Victoria_Capital_Regional_District_Vancou ver_Island_British.html

ole 5 hole group
03-29-2017, 04:38 PM
Best BBQ I ever had was in Texas, didn't matter much where you went - cus there always seems to be a joint somewhere that served up good BBQ - sometimes just a roadside setup that served for 30 minutes, as they were sold out in that time frame.

There was a diner in Austin, Tx that had the best chicken fried steak and okra on the Wednesday lunch menu - If I could just turn back that clock.;)

PtMD989
03-29-2017, 04:52 PM
My favorite all around place is North Branch Bar and Grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jim147
03-29-2017, 05:57 PM
The best is jims grill it sits on the deck and gets fired up year round. If I do drive to town we can go the diner or well there is nowhere else to go it is good but not great. I find most of the meals too bland and there is only so much you can add after it is on your plate.

km101
03-29-2017, 10:23 PM
Steak - Saltgrass Steakhouse

Home cook in' - Mama's Daughter's Diner

BBQ - Old House Barbecue. (or road trip to Austin to Franklin's or Meullers)

Chicken fried steak - right here @ home 😁

opos
03-30-2017, 08:17 AM
Years ago there was a BBQ on the Jacksboro Highway when I'd travel from DFW to Graham, Texas...it was called Dairy Land and it was about as good as I'd ever tasted. I live in San Diego so most of the really good places here are seafood and since my Son is in the fishing business we get what we want fresh off the boats so my Wife is the best place for Seafood anywhere...Seafood here at the Bounty (they have several locations) is hard to beat.

mold maker
03-30-2017, 09:52 AM
Being diabetic limits my choices but the family hasn't been dissatisfied anywhere I take them. just how bad can you hurt grilled chicken, so everyone is satisfied.
Luckily we are blessed with lots of variety and the lesser quality dives don't survive very long.

flyingmonkey35
03-30-2017, 10:09 AM
My go to in utah county is Jim's Family Restaurant. Good food great prices and homemade soups and deserts.

More and more i just eat at home.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

375supermag
03-30-2017, 10:35 AM
Hi...

Most of the decent restaurants around this area have been crushed out of business by the many chain eateries that seem to be everywhere.

There is one place that sits on a hill overlooking the city called The Eagle's Nest that serves a pretty good rib eye, the side dishes are pretty good as well. Know a couple of people who were on the wait staff there and they have real issues with the ownership and how they treat their employees. because of that, I quit going there for dinner.

Lately, we have had good meals at Longhorn(a chain steakhouse). Large portions, well-prepared steaks and a quite competent waitstaff. I enjoy the decor...western-themed. Prices are about average for any steak house. A bonus is that they have several half-pound burger options on there menu for a not unreasonable price(IIRC, our bill for two of those burger meals runs around $25-30 plus tip)...makes for a nice option for a lunch date with my wife. Not too bad when you compare it to two foot-long sub meals at Subway for about $18.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-30-2017, 12:46 PM
A Taco truck called "Taqueria Del Buen Pastor"
They also have a brick and mortar location now, two blocks from my house.

They have the best 'street' tacos...authentic, not American style.

2014 WCCO Viewers’ Choice For MN’s Best Food Truckhttp://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/07/16/wcco-viewers-choice-for-mns-best-food-truck/

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/10633178_836935329663975_5499940620889893824_o.jpg ?oh=6f474286f61a2147ee62ebdab619a32d&oe=594F5AC8

armexman
03-30-2017, 12:51 PM
For big steaks; Columbine Café/bar on Federal and about 3rd in Denver. Just south of Highway 6th St.
For Menudo; my wife's kitchen. She removes most of the fat off the stomach parts. She also skims most of the fat of the top, too. I hate greasy menudo!
Pastrami Subs; Salvaggios on Pearl and 27th in Boulder.
Steak San Lorenzo at Efrain's restaurant in East Boulder or Lafayette, Colorado. I'm a Mexican that does not eat at Mexican restaurants.
"Greasy Spoon" type breakfasts; "Folsom St. Diner" on Folsom, North of Arapahoe Ave. in Boulder
When I retire later this year, these will be the places I save money for on a once a quarter basis.;)

armexman
03-30-2017, 12:54 PM
Ummmm, cilantro and rabanitos on tacos!!!
I wish I was an illegal, undocumented, criminal alien so I could go back to Mexico for free;)

JK

rockrat
03-30-2017, 01:10 PM
Aound here there really isn't a place I would call "good", only OK. One place in town has decent brisket and there is a little italian place called Daveto's, North of me is pretty good and Texas roadhouse about 60 miles away is good.
If I want decent BBQ, it has to come out of my smoker. Neighbor kid loves my pulled pork, and since he is graduating from high school in May, that will be his "gift", about 40lbs of pulled pork for his graduation party!! For all I know, he will hide it from his friends!!!!

308Jeff
03-30-2017, 01:26 PM
Sandbar.

Great food, and if you like WILCO's posts in the TROTITG thread, you'd love the scenery.

gwpercle
03-30-2017, 01:54 PM
In Baton Rouge , for me it's Pimanyoli's Cafe ! Hands Down #1 , a down home old school BBQ and hot tamale joint . The pulled pork on a bun topped with coleslaw is the best.....Smokehouse Hamburgers ( they cook the burger , onions mushrooms and tomatoes in the smoker) heaven on a bun . Brisket to die for, Tamales , home made Mac-N-Cheese , BBQ baked beans,smoked sweet potatoes . And the people who own it are just the nicest people in the world to boot.
I'm getting hungry just thinking about all the wonderful food that they fix.
Gary

Nueces
03-30-2017, 01:57 PM
You've got Sticky Lips and Dinosaur both in Rochester, NY. I've eaten BBQ all over the country and there's nothing wrong with either of these places. Both very good. NYS in general doesn't have a lot of BBQ (the real deal), but they have some that's pretty decent.

Got stuck in Rochester one snowy evening, after being diverted from Newark. I asked the van driver, who was taking us to the crew hotel, where the good chow was and he answered "Dinosaur BBQ." What!? BBQ in NY? After we changed out of our uniforms, the van took the whole crew there and, holy cow, was it good.

Nueces
03-30-2017, 01:58 PM
There was a diner in Austin, Tx that had the best chicken fried steak and okra on the Wednesday lunch menu - If I could just turn back that clock.;)

Threadgill's maybe? I've been a customer for 40 years.

flint45
03-30-2017, 02:01 PM
Breakfast 5 days/week. I ain't got enough to sit at the Table of Knowledge.

http://www.wral.com/lifestyles/travel/video/7576954/ looks like my kind of place:drinks:

Sur-shot
03-30-2017, 02:14 PM
We here in NW FL on the Gulf coast have an abundance of real good restaurants. You just stay away from the chain joints pretty much and the rest are real good, especially the ethnics, Greeks by Greeks, Mexicans by Mexicans, Irish by Irish, Thai by Thais, Gulf seafood by the fishing boats, etc. I know three first place winners of Memphis in May for Bar B Q that live right here. But the tourists kind of clutter the place in season.

I, like some of you, am real partial to my favorite eatery, Ed's Deck with its Cook Shack smoker and the XL Big Green Egg, the lady that owns the place serves a nice single malt and I like watching the sun go down over the Bayou on every afternoon.
Ed

popper
03-30-2017, 02:17 PM
My kitchen table. Wife's just too good a cook to put up with anyplace else.

Geezer in NH
03-30-2017, 04:37 PM
Bay Haven sea foods in Cornish Maine!!!!

LaPoint
03-30-2017, 05:03 PM
You're going to laugh but the best place for tacos is a small counter in the Kandi-Mall (Kandiyohi County). I don't know the name of it, we just refer to it as mall tacos. They have a food truck too. It's run by a local family. Another good place for breakfast and lunch is Frieda's in Downtown Willmar. Frieda sold it a few years ago to her nephew. It has changed very little. Frieda immigrated from Germany when she married her husband who was in the U.S. Army. But the best food is at home. I'd rather prepare my own steaks & roasts at home.

opos
03-30-2017, 05:18 PM
Street Tacos?? Did Someone say Street Tacos? The Zona Norte section of Tijuana has Street Tacos...to die for...literally...

I've posted this before but it's worth the trip again.

We used to crawl TJ on a "taco night crawl" for many years...no mas...going to do it one more time with a friend that lives there so not a worry...if you are a tourist..just say no..don't go there.

https://youtu.be/A6wil-MX6es

A Taco truck called "Taqueria Del Buen Pastor"
They also have a brick and mortar location now, two blocks from my house.

They have the best 'street' tacos...authentic, not American style.

2014 WCCO Viewers’ Choice For MN’s Best Food Truck

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/07/16/wcco-viewers-choice-for-mns-best-food-truck/

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/10633178_836935329663975_5499940620889893824_o.jpg ?oh=6f474286f61a2147ee62ebdab619a32d&oe=594F5AC8

gwpercle
03-30-2017, 05:32 PM
Steak - Saltgrass Steakhouse

Home cook in' - Mama's Daughter's Diner

BBQ - Old House Barbecue. (or road trip to Austin to Franklin's or Meullers)

Chicken fried steak - right here @ home 
We just learned a Saltgrass Steakhouse is opening in Baton Rouge within walking distance of my house. Some high priced mexician place went belly up, closed and the building's been empty about 6 months. We are all excited because there aren't many good affordable steak houses in B.R. and I remember the Saltgrass in Texas was both . You get tired of eating seafood and BBQ all the time, a good steak is a treat !

MT Gianni
03-30-2017, 06:43 PM
Local would be the Two Bit bar or LaHoods. Both are less than 20 minutes. If we add 40 minutes, now 50 with a bridge being rebuilt we have Casagrandes steak house or the Willow Creek bar.

375RUGER
03-30-2017, 06:55 PM
My favorite place is only 25 miles away, soon it will only be 4 miles. Kathy's Carry-Out. Dine-in also. She has the best Red and Green Chile in Albuquerque. The best everything because most of the menu is made from scratch in-house.

10 ga
03-31-2017, 09:54 AM
For BBQ has to be Freds in Callao VA. If you go by when he's cooking, pop up place, it is the best.

For pizza has to be Romas in Tappahannock VA if Tony is getting fresh veggie stuff from his own garden.

For just real food like mom made has to be Lee's in Kilmarnock, real meatloaf, liven n onions, chopped steak with gravy, etc...

To Do Café in Tappahannock has the best desserts, a cake called Humming Pig plus whatever you fancy, and they have great local seafood in season, catfish, rockfish (stripers), softcrabs, crab cake, crab bisque, oysters.....

And for old fashioned seafood it is what I fix, fried salt herring or fried corned Norfolk Spots, poached salt mackerel or bluefish with crumbled bacon topped, pan fried speckel trout, real blackened Spanish mackerel or puppy drum, open wood grilled tuna or cobia steaks, fish cakes made with mashed potatoes and leftover fish from whatever.... Geez, now I've got to go fix something. 10 ga

Walla2
03-31-2017, 12:31 PM
Walt's Diner in Walla Walla, WA

Tom W.
03-31-2017, 01:03 PM
Lori and I went to an upstairs restaurant in Columbus called Mario's. To get there you have to walk up a very steep and narrow staircase. Once you enter the establishment there is a bar, an eating area close to the windows, and a huge open dance floor. We went and found out that it was a Greek restaurant. Not knowing what to order we took suggestions from the owner and had some babakanoush (?) And roasted lamb. It was fun and tasty, but I'm not really fond of lamb. We want to go back one day but know that we cannot manage that steep staircase any more.

Alstep
03-31-2017, 03:02 PM
Right here at home. Wife hasn't had a bad supper since we got married, and that was 46 years ago. She likes to go out once in a while just to get a break from the kitchen, but it's always a downer. All these fancy gourmet cooks just ruin good food.

KMac
03-31-2017, 03:44 PM

Hutchins BBQ, just 10 minutes from my house is my favorite local place to eat. By the way I ain't in that picture. The brisket, ribs, and sausage are awful good.
Just ate Sunday at one of my favorite BBQ joints that is driving distance from my house, Blacks BBQ in Lockhart, Tx. Lockhart is the BBQ capital of Texas with Kreuz Market, Smitty's Market and Blacks all being so good it just isn't right that they are all in the same town.

Sweetpea
04-01-2017, 11:46 PM
I'm a fan of Cafe Rio.

It may be a chain, but it started right here, and I've been a fan since they opened the first one.

edler7
04-02-2017, 04:54 PM
The Mill Stop Cafe- Pueblo, Colorado. Best mexican food around.

rockrat
04-02-2017, 05:39 PM
gwpercle----Might be down in BR later in the year, where to go for seafood and also where for cajun?? Oh, BBQ wouldn't hurt!!!

10-x
04-04-2017, 09:14 PM
10ga, you need to go to The Oyster Bar in Elizabeth City , just down the road. Best seafood around. Lived in chesapeake most of my life. No local decent eating joints around here, you have to stop at a restroom before you get home. Quite a few good places in JAX, worth the drive.

woodbutcher
04-06-2017, 12:14 AM
:D No decent BBQ around here.However,the Chinatown Cafe has a pretty good buffet.Been going there since 1985.The Shoneys buffet is pretty good too.Been going there about the same length of time as the Chinatown Cafe.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo