PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning dirt do ber nests from mold cavity

sbeatty1983
03-28-2017, 09:50 PM
So one of my NOE aluminum molds inadvertently got left in the shop over last summer and this winter. Dirt dobbers had built nests in all the cavities. I cleaned 95% of the mud out with soap and water and a toothbrush. There is still some dirt residue in the lube grooves that I just cant get out. Would scrubbing it with a brass brush scratch the mold?

trails4u
03-28-2017, 09:56 PM
I'd try soaking it overnight to soften the mud that remains.....

edp2k
03-28-2017, 10:14 PM
boiling soapy water and toothbrush

dverna
03-28-2017, 10:39 PM
I would not use a brass brush on aluminum

Beagle333
03-28-2017, 10:50 PM
I agree with keep soaking it and toothbrushing it. It's just dirt. It'll get soft sooner or later.

CHeatermk3
03-28-2017, 10:53 PM
You might try taking a wooden Q-tip and cutting the stick at an angle to form a sort of chisel-point and going after the dirt with that after soaking the mold in hot water for a bit.

Bzcraig
03-29-2017, 12:47 AM
You might try taking a wooden Q-tip and cutting the stick at an angle to form a sort of chisel-point and going after the dirt with that after soaking the mold in hot water for a bit.

This is what I was thinking also except I use bamboo skewers.

Drew P
03-29-2017, 08:20 PM
I'm reporting you to PETA for lead poisoning the innocent insect babies.

sbeatty1983
03-29-2017, 09:28 PM
I'm reporting you to PETA for lead poisoning the innocent insect babies.
I'm a huge peta supporter. "People eating tasty animals"

rockrat
03-29-2017, 11:38 PM
Ultrasonic cleaner?

jim147
03-30-2017, 12:30 AM
Pb blaster seems to soak in faster then hot soapy water for me.

I'll need to check my dies in the presses and the barrels of the rifles in the shop on a regular basis since it is looking like a wet spring here.

gwpercle
03-30-2017, 06:17 PM
NO BRASS BRUSH....that will scratch the aluminum . Use anything softer than aluminum.
Scrape out with a wooden skewer or use a good stiff toothbrush....not an old worn out soft bristled one.

skeettx
03-30-2017, 07:02 PM
Cast some bullets and see if they will pull out the dirt
Mike

Bazoo
03-30-2017, 08:56 PM
I have used, very gently, a bronze toothbrush on an aluminum mold cavity. It did not damage the mould, but i was careful, gently, and didnt do very much. I had the mould hot, and ended up trying to scrub an offending spot with a toothbrush, and melting the bristles in the cavities. The bronze brush was the last resort to get the cavities clean again. I used a left to right twisting motion in line with the cavity... And NOT a back and forth scrubbing motion. My concern wasnt so much scratching the mould as It could be polished easy enough, but rounding the edges, and causing a line on the bullets, which I avoided.

mjwcaster
03-31-2017, 12:00 AM
Bazoo, I am glad to hear I am not the only one who has melted a tooth brush on a hot mould.
Definitely not one of my brighter moments.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Teddy (punchie)
03-31-2017, 07:05 AM
Same way you would break rust down. Oil and let set It will break down.

alamogunr
03-31-2017, 08:23 AM
Be thankful it was an aluminum mold and not iron or steel. I left an old single shot .22 of uncertain lineage in the garage for about a year. Dirt daubers plugged the barrel with a nest. I worked on that barrel for hours(as though it was worth it) and never smoothed out the pitting where the nest was. That gun is only used with .22 shot shells now.

10 ga
03-31-2017, 09:14 AM
Be thankful it was an aluminum mold and not iron or steel. I left an old single shot .22 of uncertain lineage in the garage for about a year. Dirt daubers plugged the barrel with a nest. I worked on that barrel for hours(as though it was worth it) and never smoothed out the pitting where the nest was. That gun is only used with .22 shot shells now.

Oh yeah, been there and done that. Had a nice Ruger 77 in 308 with varmint barrel. On gun rack in gun room. Barrel next window. Mud daubers came through hole in screen and built nest in barrel good 4" of mud. Well got it out and used brass/bronz brush as it was a steel barrel. Had some roughness and pitting from the rust. Well about that time started into the SML addiction and guess what? New barrel with a Petes breechplug and a new SML. Shot lights out and eventually guy made me an offer I couldn't refuse. It was equal to one guys Swinglock and I had about 1/3 as much $ in it. Bad luck turned good! My experience, yours may be different.

for your mold I'd wash the cavities with peroxide to dissolve any organic patter the daubers used on the mud and it will help soften the mud too. Just don't leave it on too long. I'd do 10 minutes and then firm toothbrush. Try 2 times. You may also consider using an "electric" toothbrush. Shouldn't hurt the Al.

When done be sure to let us know what worked or didn't. Thanks, 10

mold maker
03-31-2017, 09:53 AM
Be really certain the moisture in the offending dirt is long gone before trying to pour melt in it. Although not likely very much involved it could cause a real surprise and still throw melt back at you.

gwpercle
03-31-2017, 04:22 PM
Bazoo, I am glad to hear I am not the only one who has melted a tooth brush on a hot mould.
Definitely not one of my brighter moments.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
You have to be careful what you touch a hot mould with. I was surprised when acetone didn't melt the plastic handle or bristles of a tooth brush , I sorta thought it would eat it up.
Never had the idea to go after a hot mould with a TB....sorta thought it might melt , But now we know...it will for sure melt.
Gary