PDA

View Full Version : 45-70

TXCOONDOG
03-28-2017, 08:15 PM
I hunt in a lot of brush for hogs and Deer (Axis and White-Tail). My daughter lives in Alaska so who knows what else in the future.

Which would you choose between Marlin or Henry ?
Which Model ?
Which boolit mould?

Thanks in advance.

starmac
03-28-2017, 08:33 PM
I would choose marlin, but not for any reason you would normally think of.
The main reason is I already have a couple, so no need to spend bucks for a henry.
The other is I rarely buy new, mostly used and you never see a used henry for sale.

Now if I were in the market for a new one, I would give the henry a hard look, probably even go that route.

seaboltm
03-28-2017, 08:43 PM
Marlin, 405 lee mold. It will kill anything on the planet. My limit is about 1800fps. My normal load is 1500fps. Given the original 45-70 was about 1300fps and that load killed everything on earth, 1500fps seems like plenty. Buy used if you can. I prefer the current remlins due to Ballard rifling.

buckshotshoey
03-28-2017, 08:54 PM
I would choose marlin, but not for any reason you would normally think of.
The main reason is I already have a couple, so no need to spend bucks for a henry.
The other is I rarely buy new, mostly used and you never see a used henry for sale.

Now if I were in the market for a new one, I would give the henry a hard look, probably even go that route.

There is, IMO, a very good reason for this!

And the price of a steel frame Henry isn't that much more then the new Remlin. The quality and workmanship is tops, and customer service is unbeatable. I don't foresee ever selling mine.

My H010 has been flawless since day one. Have about 150 rounds through it. If I had a complaint, albeit a small one, the trigger has a little creep to it. It's not heavy on pull. I'd guess 5 to 6 pounds without a trigger scale available. I took the action apart and completely cleaned and re-lubed before the first shot was fired. It is getting better as it breaks in.

Harter66
03-28-2017, 09:55 PM
I picked up 2011 Remlin 1895 .
To date I have about 70 rounds through it . The Privi Partizan 405 FPSP is good to go in it .
I'm getting good results with the Lee 457-340F and 458193 .
I've also run a paper patched 453-350 RF Mountain Moulds custom that is for the 45 Raptor .
H322 is showing some promise for the 405 . 11 gr of Unique under the other 2 make nice can slayers and at 10 would be subsonic .
I'm not terribly​ impressed with the Redding dies . The seating plug is too short and the roll crimp is nothing or bulged cases about a quarter of a turn apart .
Me of all people bought an FCD on purpose to beat the full case magazine telescope prevention .

If you buy a Marlin there are many places to check vintage via the SN coding , but zip on the Remington .
The MR pre-fix is effective from 2004 forward with the Marlin coding through 2009 . In 2010 all the production was moved to Illion NY . For 2010 my information would suggest that they started at a low SN and an A suffix B for 2011 and so on .
Information also suggested that 8 and 12 groove Microgroove barrels continue in production as well as the 6 groove Ballard . There is no confirmation of this after the move to Illion .

RKJ
03-28-2017, 10:01 PM
I can't add much to the conversation other than I've got an 1895 new manufacture and I'm very fond of it. I've only got about 30 factory rounds through it but it's showing potential. I've got dies and a LEE 340 DBL cav ready for it when I'm ready.

BigAl52
03-28-2017, 10:53 PM
Color Case Hardened Henry. As mentioned customer service second to none. I have one and love it. Al

johnhenry57
03-29-2017, 11:25 AM
On the other hand, If you plan on traveling back and forth between Texas and Alaska you might want to look at WWG's. They specialize in take down 45-70 conversions. Might make traveling that much easier.

MostlyLeverGuns
03-29-2017, 04:01 PM
I would choose a Marlin over the Henry due to its side-gate loading. The tube-feed loading is the reason I do not own a Henry center-fire. A Winchester or good clone 1886 would also qualify for a close-in bad situation. You can shove a cartridge or two in the side of the rifle without stopping or going completely out of action. I like my my Henry .22 AND .17 HMR. Think about that loading gate if things get tough.

Bad Ass Wallace
03-29-2017, 04:08 PM
Having owned and used a Pedersoli 1886 for the past year, I would consider this rifle ticks all the boxes. Match grade barrel and I can load 500gn boolits that feed through the magazine which a Marlin will not do due to limited COL!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/Ped%201886_zpschmc8teb.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BAWallace/media/Ped%201886_zpschmc8teb.jpg.html)

MostlyLeverGuns
03-29-2017, 04:09 PM
Model 1895, I have the early straight-grip pre-safety with a 22" barrel, never thought the barrel was too long. I would go for stainless in today's world. Bullet - gas check 300 - 350 Flat Point, I like Accurate 2015 for reloading 1900-2100 fps. I use a Federal 215 Match primer just because I have hunted in below 20 degrees many times.

Greg S
03-29-2017, 04:12 PM
If it is possibly headed to AK, I would recommend a stainless steel model which I think knocks Henry outta the running. I've got an 1895G SS and a Chiappa copy of an 1886 TD in Hard Chrome. I run NOE 186 Collar and a 315 GC and an RCBS 405. A 405 will handle anything and the 315 is a little more conservative on the Pb. The 186 collar button mold is a 10 gr Unique plinker.

sghart3578
03-29-2017, 06:42 PM
Henry doesn't have a traditional stainless rifle but they do have an all-weather 45-70 for Alaska and such.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/all-weather-lever-action/

buckshotshoey
03-29-2017, 09:29 PM
I would choose a Marlin over the Henry due to its side-gate loading. The tube-feed loading is the reason I do not own a Henry center-fire. A Winchester or good clone 1886 would also qualify for a close-in bad situation. You can shove a cartridge or two in the side of the rifle without stopping or going completely out of action. I like my my Henry .22 AND .17 HMR. Think about that loading gate if things get tough.

With the Henry, when tube is empty, you can drop them one at a time directly into the ejection port. I'll bet you I can fire10 rounds faster that way then you can put them in the loading gate and cycle them in. And I can do it without breaking my cheek weld on the stock. It really is faster.

Now I'm not putting you or anyone down for liking the loading gate. Please dont take this the wrong way. But I really can fire a box of shells faster dropping one at a time then having to stuff them into a gate. Next time out, I'll try to take a video of me doing this.

Another advantage.....the Henry does not have a button safety. No need for it. It has a transfer bar that is only activated by pulling the trigger. It works similar to the Ruger Redhawk transfer bar. Perfectly safe carrying with loaded chamber and hammer down.

Swamp Fox
03-29-2017, 10:48 PM
I've got a marlin and love it, but if I was buying new, I'd have a hard time not getting a Henry. Nobody can hat has one has anything bad to say about them. The lack of a loading gate doesn't matter much to me in a hunting rifle. In the ones I've handled, the only complaint I could make is that they are heavy. Hunting from a stand it wouldn't matter much, but backpacking it around Alaska could be tough.

buckshotshoey
03-30-2017, 08:12 AM
I've got a marlin and love it, but if I was buying new, I'd have a hard time not getting a Henry. Nobody can hat has one has anything bad to say about them. The lack of a loading gate doesn't matter much to me in a hunting rifle. In the ones I've handled, the only complaint I could make is that they are heavy. Hunting from a stand it wouldn't matter much, but backpacking it around Alaska could be tough.

The brass ones are a bit heavier, as is the octagon barreled color case hardned versions. They run about 8.2 pounds. But the steel H010 and the All Weather versions is no heavier then a Marlin. 7 pounds.

MostlyLeverGuns
03-30-2017, 09:06 AM
Well dropping Cartridges into an empty rifle works for the Marlin as well as the Henry. No advantage there, I have done that and it is fast, but it is nice to 'top off' your magazine when walking up a downed critter without taking your rifle apart.

Ickisrulz
03-30-2017, 09:12 AM

My opinion is that if someone has serious concerns about civil unrest and the need for getting into a firefight they should have an AR15 or two. I can't imagine selecting any lever action rifle for this purpose in modern times. You would be at a terrible disadvantage.

My son and I have Henry Big Boy Steel Carbines and like them very much. Like others that said, you can feed cartridges one at a time or use the tube. It for sure isn't a traditional set up, but it works and really cannot be faulted for functional issues.

MostlyLeverGuns
03-30-2017, 09:28 AM
On the Marlin button safety, it can be ignored or removed and the traditional 'quarter-cock' safety used. I don't believe we are talking about firefights, but situations where several shots have been fired at a game animal and reloading the rifle is a GOOD THING. I have shot several elk that did not realize the first shot killed them, I shoot until they fall down. Having a loaded rifle when I walk up to them seems like a good idea.

Soundguy
03-30-2017, 10:24 AM
I have a marlin guide gun.. love it.

buckshotshoey
03-30-2017, 10:32 AM
On the Marlin button safety, it can be ignored or removed and the traditional 'quarter-cock' safety used. I don't believe we are talking about firefights, but situations where several shots have been fired at a game animal and reloading the rifle is a GOOD THING. I have shot several elk that did not realize the first shot killed them, I shoot until they fall down. Having a loaded rifle when I walk up to them seems like a good idea.

I don't fault you for that. Good idea to walk up to even a whitetail with a loaded gun. Here's where I don't quite agree with your reasoning....

After I shoot a deer, i always give them a short period of time to expire before I walk up to them. As a hunter, you know the reasons why. Plenty of time to slide the tube up and reload. It only takes 10 or 15 seconds. It's not like you are trying to load a muzzle loader.

Not putting Marlins down. And not putting you down for liking the loading gate. Just trying to stress the fact there really isn't that big of an advantage to a loading gate. I do like the Marlin that has the 9 shot tube though!

Ickisrulz
03-30-2017, 12:54 PM

When you wrote "if things get tough" I didn't imagine you meant big game hunting. Lots of guys manage to do that with just a shot or two.

MostlyLeverGuns
03-30-2017, 01:09 PM
I guess if things get tough is a completely different discussion, can only be completed somewhere you can't 'buddy up' using your cell phone and your vehicle is more than 10 miles away. The loading gate vs dropping cartridges down a tube can best be solved by an individual trying both methods of loading ad personally deciding which would be better.

hanleyfan
03-30-2017, 02:55 PM
for me a side loading gate is a personal preference I got to have, I just don't like front end tube loading in any gun, especially a lever.

starmac
03-30-2017, 08:49 PM
It is all about personal preference, for myself either will do as well as the other one.
Other than a muzzle loader, I have never emptied a rifle on a game animal, now I have done several hunts that I never fired a shot and the tube is easier to unload. lol