PDA

View Full Version : H&G Wood Handle Material

deltaenterprizes
03-28-2017, 08:08 PM
I bought a 10 cavity H&G #50 project mold from a member and it came with one wooden handle, I would like to know what wood the originals were made from.
I have oak from a scraped rocking chair I was thinking of using.

Thoughts or suggestions?

georgerkahn
03-28-2017, 08:32 PM
Just as a thought -- and, something I've successfully done -- is, when in need for, say, a mill bastard file, mould, or any tool handle, I grab one of several old, from worn or broken broom or garden tool (e.g., rake) handles I've saved in shed through the years. I cut one to a length maybe two inches too long for each handle required, turning it into band-saw blade. Once cut to length, I chuck it in wood lathe, and turn it to either a diameter matching the one I'm endeavoring to complement -- or, a new matched pair if this be the case. I turn the end in a tad, so I can clamp it to a right-angle and readily drill a hole for the tool's tang on drill press needing no measuring for dead center. (One thing I learned the hard way -- cracks -- is to be most generous vis hole size here!) After drilling, I remeasure it again and cut off to the precise length I want, then "finishing" with a mixture of pure beeswax diluted a tad with linseed oil applied with a rag to warmed handle. The finished handles look real fine; the finish lasts; and there is zero materials cost -- a win-win-win, imho. Re wood species, I have no idea... but, again, this has worked!
BEST!
geo

toallmy
03-29-2017, 01:50 AM
I cheated , I took the wood off of a set of lee 6 cavity handles for my project mold . Actually the right size and length hole already drilled in them for me at least . The only problem now is I need to make a set for my lee handles .:killingpc

M-Tecs
03-29-2017, 01:59 AM
I have several. One set looks like Maple or Hickory to me. The other looks to be Oak.

Might be some pics here

http://hensleygibbs.com/

http://www.hensleygibbs.com/casting/newvsoldhandles.htm

toallmy
03-29-2017, 02:19 AM
M-Tecs did you get a sprue plate ?

M-Tecs
03-29-2017, 02:42 AM
Yes. Surprised the heck out of me that people had spare 10 hole sprue plates handy.

toallmy
03-29-2017, 03:15 AM
Good deal glad to hear .

floydboy
04-03-2017, 03:56 PM
Delta,

I turned mine out of dark walnut and finished with tung oil. I gorilla glued them on. Tried JB weld for attaching but 10 cavity H&G gets too hot. Melted the JB weld. I used a piece of copper tube connector cut in half as a ferrule on the end of the handle next to the mold. Looks real nice.

wv109323
04-04-2017, 11:18 PM
I would think hickory or ash would be ideal. Oak may have a tendency to split.

abunaitoo
04-06-2017, 08:17 PM
I have a H&G mold missing one handle.
Been wanting to make a replacement.
Just haven't made time to do it.
Anyone know if someone makes replacement handles???/

deltaenterprizes
04-17-2017, 09:40 PM
I found what I think may be maple and used it to make the handles.
They came out nice!