PDA

View Full Version : My J-Frame just became a little more classy!

Mytmousemalibu
03-27-2017, 10:41 AM
Thanks to a set of Altamont super rosewood classic stocks. This example is a 442 no-lock in .38 Special, no hitlery hole for me! It came with the standard rubber over molded boot grip which did the job adequately as far as shooting was concerned. However a problem had shown its face couple weeks ago when we did a "shoot what you carry" IDPA match. I use the Safariland speed loaders that you push on the body to release the rounds and under a little stress inoculation, had a really hard time getting the reloads done quickly and efficiently. The rubber grip wouldn't allow inline acess for the speedloader it made it cant which tied it up on release and the rubber gripped the body of it adding resistance. If I had to count on it to save my life or the lives of others, this had to be amended. These beautiful Altamont's greatly increased the ease of reloading and they look really nice and feel great. I carry the gun in my right front pocket in a Sticky holster and the new grips make extraction nicer too.

All in all, glad I did it. These original slim grip stocks can be an acquired taste. I looked at the original Magna's from back in the day like you would find on a Model 36 and I really didn't care for them but these are beautiful! It's not as classic as a lovely blued steel M36 that many officer's and agents used to carry but it certainly nods a tip of the hat to a bygone era....

Before

After!

C. Latch
03-27-2017, 10:45 AM
Looks *very* good, but I went the other direction; instead of changing grips, I changed speedloaders. Went to the bianchi speed strips. They seem to require less fine motor skill to use, so, while not as fast in perfect conditions, they work very well under stress.

https://www.amazon.com/Bianchi-Speed-Strip-Pair-Caliber/dp/B000JVKLTU

EMC45
03-27-2017, 11:12 AM
Pretty grips!

Mytmousemalibu
03-27-2017, 11:13 AM
Looks *very* good, but I went the other direction; instead of changing grips, I changed speedloaders. Went to the bianchi speed strips. They seem to require less fine motor skill to use, so, while not as fast in perfect conditions, they work very well under stress.

https://www.amazon.com/Bianchi-Speed-Strip-Pair-Caliber/dp/B000JVKLTU

I've got some speed strips too and the do work and feed and carry nice. I have some of the HKS style too with the twist knob but the Safariland's are quicker, hold rounds more securely and you don't need to hold the cylinder from rotating to release the speedloader since they release buy pushing into the cylinder.

2ndAmendmentNut
03-27-2017, 11:59 AM
Love the look of wood, but need a Tyler T grip to be able to shoot comfortably with Magnas. Both my j frames wear Spegel grips. No lock S&W 340 on the top and a 649-3 pre lock on the bottom.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170327/ae8d43df85361d35906ab3eb61aac597.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170327/4cde20371c6e0a5101e921fa76690cec.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170327/f9cce1b2706e9bca4b0e75cd26c93a92.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bedbugbilly
03-27-2017, 12:09 PM
Looks very nice! I also went the opposite direction though. I put a set of Pachmeyer (sp?) combat grips on my Model 36 snub and have never regretted it. I have carried it often and for me and my hands, the combat grips just work better. I can practice and put several hundred rounds through it without any effect on my hands. The factory grips on my 36 just didn't cut it for me as far as comfort. The same goes for my Model 36 3".

FergusonTO35
03-27-2017, 12:52 PM
Lookin' good. I use Pachmayr Compac Pro grips with my 637. They have a nice classic look and still grip quite well. I also use speed strips with it as I have found that they carry more easily and are about as quick as speedloaders when you are using wadcutters.

Mytmousemalibu
03-27-2017, 01:29 PM
Those are some beauty's you have there 2Anut!

I am on the fence about ordering a Tyler T-grip, I know a lot of guys like them. I haven't tried one before but not like they are super expensive or anything.

John Allen
03-27-2017, 02:24 PM
They look great. I have a j frame 32 long that I use for fun. I am going to order up a set.

FergusonTO35
03-27-2017, 04:14 PM
If you don't like the T-grip, you can sell it on Fleabay for more than you paid for it!

Scharfschuetze
03-27-2017, 05:47 PM
I really like wood grips on a revolver and all the above certainly look nice.

I've had these grips on various J Frame revolvers for something like 35 years and they fit the hand perfectly and while not as recoil absorbing as some of the rubber grips, their wide back strap does moderate even 357 loads pretty well. It also extends the trigger away from the hand a bit for good double action control, a little more like a K F Frame in feel.

35remington
03-27-2017, 06:08 PM
To me adding room for the third finger makes the grip long enough that conceaability is
lost to a noticeable degree.....may as well carry a small 9mm then.

LAH
03-27-2017, 06:14 PM
These original slim grip stocks can be an acquired taste.

I like these.

Petrol & Powder
03-27-2017, 06:27 PM
I went with Eagle Secret Service grips on J-frames many years ago and have been happy ever since. The Spegel Boot Grip is really top of the line and I have a set on a S&W model 12-2 (thin frame). They're beautiful grips but I would cry if I beat them up in daily carry. I need something to fill the space between the front strap and trigger guard, so it's some type of "Boot Grip" or a Tyler "T" Grip Adaptor for me. Both of those options result in a good grip that doesn't increase the overall bulk of the gun.

As for speedloaders, I use Bianchi Speed-Strips for every day concealed carry. The Speed Strip is flat and fits perfectly in the watch pocket of pair of jeans. When it comes to actual speedloaders, I switched to Safariland years ago and never looked back. I've never had a problem with Safariland loaders with any revolver grip that was properly relieved for speedloaders.

pworley1
03-27-2017, 07:50 PM
Very nice! There's just something about wood.

FergusonTO35
03-27-2017, 08:58 PM
S&W needs to bring back the model 12. I love my wheelguns but the 637 is the only one that ever gets carried due to the weight of the others.

Mytmousemalibu
03-27-2017, 09:13 PM
They really do give you some more room and allow the hand higher up on the gun than the boot grip did. I can actually get my little finger almost fully on there now which was absolutely hopeless with the prior though it offered more fill into the palm. I'll go put some rounds through it this week and see if I think I need to add a T-grip or not. I do think it carries a little nicer now not that it was bad before though. I also have a 360J which is a Scandium .38 J-Frame and it came with the same style of rubber overmold grip but it was a combat grip. While it was great to shoot since you could get a full hand on it, it was a bit much in the pocket. I found myself putting it in my toolbox while working because of it. This 442 It rarely leaves my pocket, I honestly forget it's there most the time which is nice. Gotta love J-Frames!

opos
03-27-2017, 09:53 PM
I've got an old 36, 3"bbl, square butt that is a real dandy...since I put the Pachmeyer's on it..I got big hams and arthritis and it was the spawn of the devil himself before the change...shoots just fine now and no blood or swelling.

Petrol & Powder
03-27-2017, 11:51 PM
S&W needs to bring back the model 12. I love my wheelguns but the 637 is the only one that ever gets carried due to the weight of the others.
They did, at least for a little while - it was called the 315 Night Guard. (Lightweight, 38 Special K-Frame) Unfortunately the Night Guard series didn't fare well.

winelover
03-28-2017, 07:54 AM
I fashioned my own, to match one of the folders I made, out of black and yellow mircarta. The second one, from top. Grips are copied from Bianchi's rubber/plastic offerings.

Winelover

FergusonTO35
03-28-2017, 08:40 AM
They did, at least for a little while - it was called the 315 Night Guard. (Lightweight, 38 Special K-Frame) Unfortunately the Night Guard series didn't fare well.

Yep, I remember drooling over it. The $900.00+ price tag was the problem, very few people are going to spend that kind of cabbage on a six shot .38 revolver for a carry piece. Those that will are probably going to choose a tricked out .357 or a vintage piece like a Colt DS. What Smith needs to do is come out with some Airweight K-frame .38's as regular production items. I see no reason why they couldn't, the Airweight J-frames go for around $350.00 here and sell like mad. No fancy finishes, scandium frames, or anything like that, just a basic EDC revolver like the J-frames are with a real world price under $500.00. I see no reason why they wouldn't be successful.

imashooter2
03-28-2017, 08:48 AM
They are pretty, but I have to say looks don't mean much to me on a working gun. My Js all wear ugly rubber Hogue Bantams.

Piedmont
03-28-2017, 09:12 AM
What Smith needs to do is come out with some Airweight K-frame .38's as regular production items. I see no reason why they couldn't, the Airweight J-frames go for around $350.00 here and sell like mad. No fancy finishes, scandium frames, or anything like that, just a basic EDC revolver like the J-frames are with a real world price under $500.00. I see no reason why they wouldn't be successful.

That sounds logical. What we tend to forget is the manufacturers have the sales numbers so they better know what sells. For example I cannot understand how anyone would buy a J frame .357, but they sell, and S&W is in the business of selling guns. Frankly I'd buy a compact 9 every time rather than a K frame lightweight.

Petrol & Powder
03-28-2017, 09:23 AM
Yep, I remember drooling over it. The $900.00+ price tag was the problem, very few people are going to spend that kind of cabbage on a six shot .38 revolver for a carry piece. Those that will are probably going to choose a tricked out .357 or a vintage piece like a Colt DS. What Smith needs to do is come out with some Airweight K-frame .38's as regular production items. I see no reason why they couldn't, the Airweight J-frames go for around $350.00 here and sell like mad. No fancy finishes, scandium frames, or anything like that, just a basic EDC revolver like the J-frames are with a real world price under $500.00. I see no reason why they wouldn't be successful.

/\ Spot On /\

192021 The Model 12 was discontinued in 1986, which was a shame because it had merit.

The Night Guard 38 Special (315NG) was a good concept. Lightweight, rated for +P, excellent sights but it was seriously over priced. I agree that someone in that market would probably just look for a pristine old model Colt Cobra or Agent; the price would end up the same.
If S&W could produce a budget, no frills, lightweight 2" K-frame; they would probably find a small market for it. However, at the K-frame size, even with a 2" barrel - you're getting solidly into small 9mm pistol territory in terms of size. That market would be limited to the revolver oriented guys and gals. We can still hope :-).

Petrol & Powder
03-28-2017, 09:26 AM
Piedmont - Clearly you're a fan of Breaker Morant (rule 303)
Great movie !

Mytmousemalibu
03-28-2017, 10:56 AM
They are pretty, but I have to say looks don't mean much to me on a working gun. My Js all wear ugly rubber Hogue Bantams.

I don't disagree, i put the Altamont's on to solve a problem which they did. Just so happens that they are very pretty too!

Mytmousemalibu
03-28-2017, 11:02 AM

I would buy an Airweight K-Frame all day! I'd love a .44 Special which come to think of it would be like a premium version of a Charter Arms Bulldog. S&W brought their answer to the Taurus Judge with the Governor, I'd love to have an Airweight K.

2ndAmendmentNut
03-30-2017, 10:54 AM
/\ Spot On /\

192021 The Model 12 was discontinued in 1986, which was a shame because it had merit.

The Night Guard 38 Special (315NG) was a good concept. Lightweight, rated for +P, excellent sights but it was seriously over priced. I agree that someone in that market would probably just look for a pristine old model Colt Cobra or Agent; the price would end up the same.
If S&W could produce a budget, no frills, lightweight 2" K-frame; they would probably find a small market for it. However, at the K-frame size, even with a 2" barrel - you're getting solidly into small 9mm pistol territory in terms of size. That market would be limited to the revolver oriented guys and gals. We can still hope :-).

I agree that the Nightguards were a great concept. Unfortunately S&W insisted on putting an internal lock in them. The light weight frames have developed a bad reputation for locking themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rat44
03-30-2017, 04:41 PM
Please get back with us after you shoot some carry loads with those grips. I'm betting you won't enjoy it. I have a flat latch Smith Model 36 with diamond magnas and Tyler T Grip that I can tolerate stout loads with, but I put the magnas on my 442 one time just cause I thought they looked good. Big mistake! I thought I was gonna have nerve damage after 1 cylinder full. The rubber went right back on!

FergusonTO35
03-30-2017, 09:09 PM
My 637 has the lock, I permanently deactivated it by filing off the nub which locks the hammer and removing the word "Locked" on the other side. I have an extra, unmodified one to put on it if I ever have to send it back to S&W.