PDA

View Full Version : ?s about lubes and fluxes

S.B.
07-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Is there a best lube to use with heavier than normal handgun bullets? I've been wondering about the sawdust flux issue, do you light this with a match or just stir it into the melted mixture? What's the best way to apply the flux to the melting pot? I generally use a teaspoon and sprinkle it over as much of the top of the mix as possible. I've been using bullet lube for flux but, one of the recent replies on this site said sawdust works well. Usually, I just dropped the bullet lube into the pot, lit it with a match, and stirred it into the mix. Since sawdust doesn't seem to be in short supply around my place, thought I'd give this a try.
Sorry for the ignorance!
Steve

DLCTEX
07-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Just stir the sawdust into the melt, no need to light it. If you bottom pour you can leave the sawdust on top after stirring to help seal the melt from the air to reduce oxidation. I believe that the carbon produced is what does the fluxing. I just stir and scrape with a dry hardwood stick, that way the carbon produced is already down in the melt as it is produced. Practically anything that produces carbon when burned will do the job, from motor oil to the rubber valve stems always found in the WW buckets. DALE

Blammer
07-10-2008, 11:42 AM
there is no best lube to use with handgun bullets no matter the wt.

There are those that work well and those that don't, the ones that don't are far a few between I believe.

Pressure and velocity are important to determine the lube you want, as well as what characteristics of the lube you want too.

Some use soft stick lube cause it works for them for a variety of reasons, some use hard lube for the same reasons. It's mostly preference if you ask me.

I use speed green for pretty much everything. Rifle and pistol of all types.

As far as flux goes, sawdust will work fine and no you don't have to light the flux. Setting the flux on fire looks cool and reduces the smoke and that's about it.

44man
07-10-2008, 11:47 AM
I use soft Felix or Lar's Carnauba Red for all loads and boolits. No need to harden lube any more for anything in the revolvers.
The lube I use is based on the sizer I use only. CR is in my lube sizer but when I use a Lee or no sizer, I stuff softer Felix in the grooves with my fingers. Pan lubing works too.
I would say these two lubes are the very best and the most accurate.