PDA

View Full Version : My friend gave me some bullets and ....

10x
03-25-2017, 07:36 PM
My 86 year old friend is winding down his affairs. He is a little to frail to shoot and sold me his reloading set up and supplies.
As we were going through the cast bullets there was a box of 311241 - beautiful bullets. I remarked that I would be trying those bullets and then if I liked them I would be getting the mold.
According to him I lent him the mold that he cast those bullet with. I am going to have to do some digging through my molds and find them.
With luck it is is a 5 cavity NOE that I forgot I had.
Then again he is a bit of a practical joker and maybe he has set me up for years of searching my stuff.

I did find a table saw in my garage that had been missing for 3 years so I am going to look for the mold....

xs11jack
03-25-2017, 07:40 PM
I think that if you lost and found a full sized table saw in your garage, finding that mold should be a snap!!!
Think purple.
Ole Jack

Hawks Feather
03-25-2017, 07:41 PM
Keep looking. If you don't find the mold you might find something even more valuable.

shoot-n-lead
03-25-2017, 07:45 PM
Keep looking. If you don't find the mold you might find something even more valuable.

Yeah, might find a vintage car...over there around that table saw.

wv109323
03-25-2017, 09:25 PM
Isn't it nice to have Christmas every time you go to look for something? You find something you forgot you had.

Bzcraig
03-25-2017, 11:02 PM
Sounds like it's time for a clean up party!

54bore
03-25-2017, 11:07 PM
Buy another mold and you will find it!

10x
03-26-2017, 12:26 AM
Buy another mold and you will find it!

Been there, bought the second mold. It really is the fastest way. Especially when you go to put the new mold away and put it right beside the mold you were looking for.

mold maker
03-26-2017, 08:47 AM
I spend lots more time looking than using. Finding and admiring things you come across while searching is what takes most of the time.

10x
03-26-2017, 10:52 AM
I spend lots more time looking than using. Finding and admiring things you come across while searching is what takes most of the time.

I find that it is remembering what I am looking for that is the challenge. There are just so many interesting distractions, and projects that I discover while looking - hey I should finish this project....

ghh3rd
03-26-2017, 11:23 AM
Sounds like my garage, my spare room, my.....

gwpercle
03-26-2017, 04:57 PM
My 86 year old friend is winding down his affairs. He is a little to frail to shoot and sold me his reloading set up and supplies.
As we were going through the cast bullets there was a box of 311241 - beautiful bullets. I remarked that I would be trying those bullets and then if I liked them I would be getting the mold.
According to him I lent him the mold that he cast those bullet with. I am going to have to do some digging through my molds and find them.
With luck it is is a 5 cavity NOE that I forgot I had.
Then again he is a bit of a practical joker and maybe he has set me up for years of searching my stuff.

I did find a table saw in my garage that had been missing for 3 years so I am going to look for the mold....
The only thing I like about getting old is when I find great "stuff" I forgot I had.....it's like Christmas all over again. Like that 311241 5 cavity NOE mould .... that's a great find!

My problem is not so much remembering I have it , I know I have it , I just can't remember where I squirreled it away.
I got an Amazon gift card two Christmases ago , I knew I had it , I searched all over , every time I got a chance I went through wherever I thougt it might be , no luck ! Then found it two weeks ago in the bottom of a bag I was putting ammo in to take to the shooting range. I have no clue how it got in that bag. Why would I put it in a range bag...safe keeping ? It was safe alright, safe from me.
Gary,
Christmas Everyday Club Member

10x
03-27-2017, 08:41 AM
The only thing I like about getting old is when I find great "stuff" I forgot I had.....it's like Christmas all over again. Like that 311241 5 cavity NOE mould .... that's a great find!

My problem is not so much remembering I have it , I know I have it , I just can't remember where I squirreled it away.
I got an Amazon gift card two Christmases ago , I knew I had it , I searched all over , every time I got a chance I went through wherever I thougt it might be , no luck ! Then found it two weeks ago in the bottom of a bag I was putting ammo in to take to the shooting range. I have no clue how it got in that bag. Why would I put it in a range bag...safe keeping ? It was safe alright, safe from me.
Gary,
Christmas Everyday Club Member

When ever I buy an item because I need it now and can't find the old one. I buy it, use it, go to put it away - right beside the one I was looking for.
I have at least 6 caulking guns in a drawer because of that.

C. Latch
03-27-2017, 08:45 AM
I can't make fun of anyone for losing stuff.

When I first started back reloading after getting married, my 'bench' was a closet where I Stored my stuff, and my press was mounted on a board I'd mount to the kitchen table at night.

Three years ago I upgraded to half of a closet. Well, half in theory. It's more like 2/3 when it gets messy.

Lord willing, there'll be a garage this fall. But until then.....all my stuff is in a 6'x8' square and I lose stuff all the time. I don't know how I'd ever find anything if I had a whole garage/shop to lose it in.

Walla2
03-27-2017, 11:54 AM
I have been in the same 22'x22' reloading room for 22 years. Adding all the time. I decided to renovate the room (it is part of a larger shop), insulate, new electric, etc. I have a 12 year old neighbor boy that has become very interested in guns and reloading. We started moving things from the reloading room into a temporary space outside. His job is to climb under the benches, shelves, etc., and drag stuff out. He found more "****" than I ever thought I had. He found a ton of Corbin swaging equipment (new) I forgot I had. I'll be selling all that soon to help pay for the renovation. I can't believe all the stuff we found. we found almost a complete double set of reloading dies I thought had been lost during the move 22 years ago. Went out and bought new replacements. The moving box had never been opened. Unbelievable.

10x
03-27-2017, 05:28 PM
I have been in the same 22'x22' reloading room for 22 years. Adding all the time. I decided to renovate the room (it is part of a larger shop), insulate, new electric, etc. I have a 12 year old neighbor boy that has become very interested in guns and reloading. We started moving things from the reloading room into a temporary space outside. His job is to climb under the benches, shelves, etc., and drag stuff out. He found more "****" than I ever thought I had. He found a ton of Corbin swaging equipment (new) I forgot I had. I'll be selling all that soon to help pay for the renovation. I can't believe all the stuff we found. we found almost a complete double set of reloading dies I thought had been lost during the move 22 years ago. Went out and bought new replacements. The moving box had never been opened. Unbelievable.

My wife has boxes still unpacked from three moves ago -and the last time we moved households was in 1980. There are other boxes of stuff that neither of us knows what is in them. Memories I suspect.
It is a bit of a memory rush when you open a box to check what is in it before tossing it out and find your dad's personal things your mom gave to you when he died over twenty years ago. A time capsule of memories. Some of which I may pass on to my grandsons when they are older.

Walla2
03-28-2017, 04:29 PM
My wife has boxes still unpacked from three moves ago -and the last time we moved households was in 1980. There are other boxes of stuff that neither of us knows what is in them. Memories I suspect.
It is a bit of a memory rush when you open a box to check what is in it before tossing it out and find your dad's personal things your mom gave to you when he died over twenty years ago. A time capsule of memories. Some of which I may pass on to my grandsons when they are older.

Yep, know what you mean. A couple of years ago I found my father's thing from his time in the Navy in WWII.

Tenbender
03-28-2017, 04:33 PM
My

Sounds like my basement. My wife just keep's on carrying stuff in but nothing out ! lol

robg
03-28-2017, 04:36 PM
Trouble is you find something interesting and forget what it was you were looking for…when we moved house 10 years ago I found great stuff I'd put in a safe place years before.

shooterg
03-28-2017, 08:43 PM
The table saw is bigger, therefore easier to find...
"Lost" an AR receiver for 2 years, "found" it in a box of Harley parts...curious filing system, huh ?

blackthorn
03-29-2017, 11:24 AM
My 6 foot step ladder disappeared. Spent days looking for it. Finally decided someone had likely stole it off the deck (where it was the last I recalled). One morning I went out to the shop, jumped on the tread mill and started walking. Looked to my right and right there, smack dab in the middle of the shop, leaning against the table saw, ----- yep, you guessed it, there was my ladder! Now, I had passed that sucker every day, and been on that tread mill every other day for at least a week. What chance do I have of finding anything small???

mold maker
03-29-2017, 11:34 AM
When ever I buy an item because I need it now and can't find the old one. I buy it, use it, go to put it away - right beside the one I was looking for.
I have at least 6 caulking guns in a drawer because of that.

Doesn't that make you a gun collector?

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-29-2017, 11:42 AM
I have a chair next to my bed, I never sit in it. It is where I put clothes that need repair, or clothes that no longer fit.

About 5 years ago, I bought a Chrono. I looked all over for my tripod, which I had used once in a great while for a video recorder, back when they were all the rage. I turned the house upside down and never found the tripod.

About two years later, after buying a tripod, I was cleaning my bedroom. I went through that stack of clothes in that chair...and low and behold, half way down, there was my old tripod.

Just like Gary (gwpercle) said,
Christmas Everyday Club Member,
Jon

jmort
03-29-2017, 11:45 AM

Pretty much
This is a great thread.
I have stuff in a couple three places that I still need to go through/discover. Of note during the last five moves were two new and completely forgotten H2M .680" round ball molds. Now they are safely hiding from me again.

mold maker
03-29-2017, 12:24 PM
Yep, know what you mean. A couple of years ago I found my father's thing from his time in the Navy in WWII.

Several years ago I moved back into my childhood home. It had been made disabled accessible and being in our 70s, it was convenient.
Problem is The home is full of Mom and Dads lifetime of treasures. In the last 54 years I had filled our home with my own unfinished projects and get around to it's. There is no way to combine all the valuables.
My intensions were to use a dumpster to rid their house of all the "junk" in order to make a place for mine. The memories and treasures I found couldn't be disposed of.
At 75 I have come to the conclusion that it's going to be my children's problem. Basically I have to move the previous project in order to facilitate the current one. It does have a tendency to get me to finish before moving on.
I boxed up and marked the contents of my loading tools and supplies so they are obvious when needed. Problem is I still haven't finished moving them. Thank God it was only 2 blocks.
You younger folks live your lives with older age in mind. If you make it you will appreciate the planning, If not your heirs will. There really is a point of no return, and you won't realize passing it.

mold maker
03-29-2017, 12:33 PM
I've always heard of a "Black Hole" that swallows everything that comes close. I think there is one in my loading area.

If most of us have one, can you imagine the pile at the other end?

OeldeWolf
03-29-2017, 03:14 PM
In about a week, when some friends/kids we lent the front office to (as a refuge while waiting for their first house to become available) move out, I will be busy building and organizing things in my half of that room. It will be loading room and office for me, office/study room/crafts room for LadyWolf. I think I remember everything I have as for casting and reloading. But I am hoping a few projects are further along than I remember them as being! And I can only hope that I have more equipment and supplies than I recall having!

Blackwater
03-29-2017, 06:43 PM
Ain't it fun finding stuff you forgot you had? You wouldn't wanna' come over and do some searching at my place would you??? :mrgreen:

10x
03-30-2017, 09:04 AM
The table saw is bigger, therefore easier to find...
"Lost" an AR receiver for 2 years, "found" it in a box of Harley parts...curious filing system, huh ?
Went through my Norton Altas parts to sell them at a swap meet and discovered I had a complete motorcycle.

10x
03-30-2017, 09:07 AM
I've always heard of a "Black Hole" that swallows everything that comes close. I think there is one in my loading area.

If most of us have one, can you imagine the pile at the other end?

I have limbo in my workshop. I will set something down, it goes into limbo and I will find it years later in the same place as I have been looking - just after I have given up looking and bought a new one.
I always go to put the new one away and find the old one in the exact spot where I put the new one away.

Sur-shot
03-30-2017, 10:01 AM
I must admit to having to many "things" in my collections. I did not believe that at all until I bought the biggest bench safe they make. I filled it with Old Model Single Action Rugers, 148 all toll. Then I discovered that it had been 20 years since I had seen them. So one rainy Sunday afternoon I decided to pull them all out, examine them and re-treat them and put them back in the gun rugs. When I got near the bottom, I found an odd shaped and strange feeling rug. Unzipped it, a brand new TC Contender, by the time I got to the bottom of the safe, I had three TCs in gun rugs laying on the floor that I had no clue where they came from. Only thing I can figure was that I was a range master at a Rod & Gun club on a military base for over 30 years and every once in a while a GI would get transferred to a place where he could not own firearms, like Japan, so they would come by the range to try and sell a gun before they shipped out. I would buy if I was interested and toss the gun in a rug, into my Suburban, then into the safe. It was like quick sand, given a few years the guns just disappeared from view, covered by other guns. Since then, I sold all of the TCs and the Rugers to other collectors. Then I built a vault with open wall racks, so I could see the junk, now I need two more wall racks. It never stops, the collecting, the storing or the forgetting. [smilie=b:
Ed

flint45
03-30-2017, 02:31 PM
I have been looking for a mold lost for 17 years last time we moved I have five of the bollits left. :groner:

10x
04-03-2017, 04:00 PM
I have been looking for a mold lost for 17 years last time we moved I have five of the bollits left. :groner: You are going to have to make every shot count...

1989toddm
04-03-2017, 04:31 PM
I have been looking for a mold lost for 17 years last time we moved I have five of the bollits left. :groner:

What's the mold?

richhodg66
04-03-2017, 07:20 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one like this.