PDA

View Full Version : Digital version of Col E.H. Harrison's book Cast Bullets

JohnnyArtist
03-25-2017, 03:40 PM
I thought members might be interested to access a digital version of Col. E.H. Harrison's book Cast Bullets.
Here's the link...

https://www.scribd.com/doc/225468029/Cast-Bullets-by-Col-E-H-Harrison-NRA-1979

some fascinating reading.

Best

John

gwpercle
03-25-2017, 07:44 PM
I purchased that book from the NRA , don't even remember when, good info still in there.
The cover had those photo's of the 35 / 30-30, I always thought that would be a sweet cast boolit rifle caliber and if I found a 30-30 with a bad barrel would have one made. Never came across a 30-30 like that but still think its an excellent idea !

JBinMN
03-25-2017, 07:58 PM
Cool! Here is a copy you can read online in .pdf format, or download it to your computer for later reference, if ya like.
:)
http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/ClassicWorks/CastBullets-s.pdf

Leadmelter
03-25-2017, 08:54 PM
I have the NRA original, well worn
Leadmelter

Follow Me
03-26-2017, 09:47 AM
Greetings to all,
What a coincidence that this thread should show up just now. 3 years ago I bought a box of books/magazines at a yardsale which I sorted and entered the titles into my database. And then I promptly forgot about the titles. Now here is a title that is highly recommended so I start to enter it into the database as a title to get. Well, I
Already own it. Now I'm going to have to look through about 545 titles to find it.
I apologize for the rambling. I'm an old guy. It's what I do.
I pray for our country and our way of life. I, We, fought long and hard for it. AND IT HAS NOT TURNED OUT THE WAY I THOUGHT IT WOULD.

FOLLOW ME
"I AM THE INFANTRY, QUEEN OF BATTLE, and FOLLOW ME"

BTW, I know I am talking to the choir.

is a title in the thread that is highly recommended

Walter Laich
03-26-2017, 11:36 AM
Greetings to all,
What a coincidence that this thread should show up just now. 3 years ago I bought a box of books/magazines at a yardsale which I sorted and entered the titles into my database. And then I promptly forgot about the titles. Now here is a title that is highly recommended so I start to enter it into the database as a title to get. Well, I
Already own it. Now I'm going to have to look through about 545 titles to find it.
I apologize for the rambling. I'm an old guy. It's what I do.
I pray for our country and our way of life. I, We, fought long and hard for it. AND IT HAS NOT TURNED OUT THE WAY I THOUGHT IT WOULD.

FOLLOW ME
"I AM THE INFANTRY, QUEEN OF BATTLE, and FOLLOW ME"

BTW, I know I am talking to the choir.

is a title in the thread that is highly recommended

there are two branches in the Army: Infantry and Infantry Support

♪ Spent my time...and my dime,
as a Grunt in RVN
in the forever summertime ♫

TexasGrunt
03-26-2017, 01:08 PM
There are Grunts and POGs.

People Other than Grunts.

JohnnyArtist
03-27-2017, 11:39 AM
thanks thats a much better version

Leadmelter
03-27-2017, 09:34 PM
You left out REMFs
Leadmelter

M-Tecs
03-27-2017, 09:41 PM
Cool! Here is a copy you can read online in .pdf format, or download it to your computer for later reference, if ya like.

Thanks for posting the link.

Scharfschuetze
03-28-2017, 01:45 AM
I've also got the original publication that I bought in perhaps 1977 via the mail from the NRA. It's a great book. A magnum opus if your will.

hermans
03-28-2017, 03:27 AM

I will down load it on my iPad just to have it handy, I also do have the original printed version, handed down to me by an old gentleman who taught me who to cast boolits, and he said this book is all you would ever need.

JBinMN
03-28-2017, 09:06 AM
YW & Glad to help out. If I remember from when I found that one, that there is maybe a couple others free for your use, but I just grabbed that one to share. { I downloaded it too. ;) }

Enjoy!

tacofrank
10-19-2022, 11:46 AM
I have my original and a digital copy too. Great read and reference. I don't remember when or where I bought the original but I thumb through it all the time. Money very well spent.
TacoFrank

HangFireW8
10-19-2022, 09:11 PM
I have the original. It's interesting how some of the conclusions of extensive research & testing in that book, get directly contradicted by some of the luminaries here on this board... I think that gets down to, there's more than 1 way to get accuracy out of cast boolits, but some here can only allow their way to be discussed. Why I don't come back here much, any more...

technojock
10-19-2022, 09:16 PM
For some odd reason I couldn't download it. Is is available somewhere else?

Tony

GeniUS
06-11-2023, 10:15 AM
I thought members might be interested to access a digital version of Col. E.H. Harrison's book Cast Bullets.
Here's the link...

https://www.scribd.com/doc/225468029/Cast-Bullets-by-Col-E-H-Harrison-NRA-1979

some fascinating reading.

Best
I feel great satisfaction now. The fact is that I could not find an electronic version for a long time. I'm learning everything on the e-book now. Recently I was also looking for information about birth control, found https://supremestudy.com/essay-examples/birth-control for this and uploaded it to my reader. I can no longer sit with a book in my hands. I think it's very inconvenient.
John

Couldn't find her for a long time. [smilie=s:

gwpercle
06-11-2023, 10:51 AM
I purchased that book from the NRA , don't even remember when, good info still in there.
The cover had those photo's of the 35 / 30-30, I always thought that would be a sweet cast boolit rifle caliber and if I found a 30-30 with a bad barrel would have one made. Never came across a 30-30 like that but still think its an excellent idea !

I was a little disappointed that there wasn't an article on the 35/30-30 ...plastered all over the cover with some accurate groups on targets .
I also thought this would be a great cast boolit round !
I kept my eye out for a bolt action or single shot for years ... but never heard or read any more about it . Time went on and other projects came along .
Still , I wonder why the 35/30-30 never caught on and became popular .
Gary

dverna
06-11-2023, 06:58 PM
I was a little disappointed that there wasn't an article on the 35/30-30 ...plastered all over the cover with some accurate groups on targets .
I also thought this would be a great cast boolit round !
I kept my eye out for a bolt action or single shot for years ... but never heard or read any more about it . Time went on and other projects came along .
Still , I wonder why the 35/30-30 never caught on and became popular .
Gary

Simple. It does nothing that will attract buyers of new guns. Not many reload and fewer people cast.

The .35/30-30 might interest a cast bullet shooter, but you admitted you had more important projects that kept it off you list of things to do/get.

BTW, I looked at it as well and ended up like you. Even bought a beater .30/30, but the gun will never be converted.

WRideout
06-11-2023, 08:37 PM
there are two branches in the Army: Infantry and Infantry Support

♪ Spent my time...and my dime,
as a Grunt in RVN
in the forever summertime ♫

Self-propelled artillery eliminates a lot of walking. Just sayin'.

Wayne

gwpercle
06-11-2023, 08:47 PM
Simple. It does nothing that will attract buyers of new guns. Not many reload and fewer people cast.

The .35/30-30 might interest a cast bullet shooter, but you admitted you had more important projects that kept it off you list of things to do/get.

BTW, I looked at it as well and ended up like you. Even bought a beater .30/30, but the gun will never be converted.

:goodpost:
Like !
Yes ... you are so right ! And come to think of it , what rifle round do I cast boolits for , reload and shot the most... the standard 30-30 !... just hard to beat it , as is !
Gary

WRideout
06-11-2023, 08:47 PM
Back to the original subject:
Lately I have been acquiring those old out-of-print books that everyone recommends. To date I have Bullets flight from powder to Target, Hatcher's Notebook, Sixguns, and Phil Sharpe's Complete Guide to Handloading. Even though some of the information is quite dated, I find it interesting to get the historical background on powders, tools, and guns some of which are still with us after a century. I would like to get the NRA cast bullet book but haven't yet overcome the urge to buy a new firearm instead. I am old enough to prefer actual books, even though the digital version may be quite adequate.

Wayne

MT Gianni
06-11-2023, 09:11 PM
I gladly paid $50 for it in the 90's. I have learned a lot from it and still reference it.

Rich/WIS
06-12-2023, 09:56 AM
Bought mine from the NRA back in the 70's, good info derived from actual testing. The earlier NRA reloading manual had the articles as a part of the book, but were dropped in later editions and sold as a separate cast boolit book. Will say that Col Harrison saved me a lot of time and frustration when I started down the rabbit hole casting my own boolits. His research was done back in the 50's and 60's and is still relevant today.

WRideout
06-26-2023, 10:16 AM
I just ordered a paperback copy of the NRA handbook from E-buy. We will see what kind of shape it is in. Really inexpensive.

Wayne

Alferd Packer
07-01-2023, 02:21 AM
Bought the paperback in 70s
I still read chapters of it over the years
I find info that applies to today that much easier to understand.
Even though it's over fifty years old.

Bazoo
07-01-2023, 12:34 PM
I appreciate the sharing of this resource. I've been wanting to read this one a long time but haven't come across a copy.