PDA

View Full Version : Pellet/BB gun

blackthorn
03-25-2017, 01:38 PM
I really have NO knowledge when it comes to air guns. That said, a friend asked me to clean up some light rust on a Crossman 781 Pellet/BB air rifle. The gun is intact, except for a missing front sight. Basically, I want to fabricate a simple front sight and stick it on the rifle. It doesn't have to look pretty, he only wants to use it to teach his grandkids shooting basics. There is no dovetail or other indication as to where it needs to go and the original sight was likely glued on somehow. What I really want to know is how do I find top dead center on the barrel?

Mk42gunner
03-25-2017, 03:15 PM
They make a top dead center finder, with a level and a vee groove; but it costs more than you want to spend for a one time use.

What I would do is to level the action as best I could, then find the top of the barrel by resting a small level on it. You could also use double sided tape to do a trial and error positioning of the front sight.

Good luck, I'm not at all familiar with the 781 Crossman, although I did wear out a 760 when I was a kid.

Robert

KenT7021
03-25-2017, 03:25 PM
Crosman probably has parts for it on their website.The front sight is plastic and fits around the barrel.If Crosman doesn't have the part check the diameter of the barrel at the muzzle and look for a suitable replacement at Gun Parts Corp.

mac60
03-26-2017, 09:49 AM
You can't order parts online. Call them @ 800-724-7486. The parts diagram doesn't specifically show the front sight as a component part. The way it looks to me is that the front sight is somehow "permanently" bonded to the barrel.

Good luck with it.

blackthorn
03-26-2017, 11:11 AM
Thanks to all.

fiberoptik
04-04-2017, 11:05 PM
I shoot a q-tip with clp on it. 1 lubed, 1 dry. Cut off tips with no more than 1/2" of stem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk