PDA

View Full Version : chambering and bbl work for ar-15

mike in co
07-09-2008, 11:41 PM
anyone actually created and chambered an ar-15 bbl ?
i have the basic bbl drawing, but what i do not have is how is the locating pin installed, and how is the gas port timed to hit a groove and not a land ?

thanks
mike in co

Nobade
07-15-2008, 08:41 PM
I have a few customers who shoot bolt guns and AR type rifles as well. They'll wear out a bolt gun barrel and then have me build an AR barrel out of it after the burnt out part is cut off. It's not a hard thing to do, and as long as the diameter at the barrel extension is small enough and the area for the gas block is paralell and the correct diameter the rest doesn't matter.
The locating pin is just a 1/8" dowel pin driven into the barrel extension. It does not go into the threads. I buy 3/8" long ones, drive them in and grind off the excess. As for hitting a groove for the gas port, after examining a huge number of AR barrels and getting feedback from shooters I have decided it doesn't matter where the hole is. If you wanted to hit a groove you'll need to determine where they are at the port hole, and index your barrel extension so it lines up. Kreiger does this, I could see several ways to do it, but I don't and never get complaints.

Redleg99
08-11-2008, 04:00 PM
mike in co,

You might be interested in this:

http://www.ar15barrels.com/making.shtml