PDA

View Full Version : Remington RB 1 1/2 caliber conversions

mikeyd499
03-24-2017, 11:23 PM
What more modern calibers could a Remington 1 1/2 RB be converted to? It is originally a 32 rimfire. Is this action strong enough to hold up to 357 magnum or perhaps 32-40? I don't know much about these guns, but like to have one in a caliber that reloads easily and would shoot well.

modified5
03-24-2017, 11:51 PM
I have a RB in .32 rim fire and it is a gas to shoot.
Mine was made in the 1800's and from what I understand they were a black powder action and should be held to those levels, but I'm sure someone with a whole lot more experience with them will either confirm or deny my statement. :D

Nueces
03-25-2017, 12:07 AM
I have one of these, too, and have wrestled with what to do with it. My understanding is that the 1 1/2 is just a #1 with thinner side walls, so a centerfire #1 breech block can fit it, for conversion to modern cases. I believe, with a smokeless block and new action pins, this action would work with the 357 Magnum. But a more Elizabethan cartridge would be the 357 Maximum, used with black powder. A rebore would let me shoot through the original steel, which has a romantic pull. Were I confident in the action's smokeless mojo, I'd consider necking down the Max case to 30, to make a modern 32-30 Remington, a cartridge originally chambered in rolling blocks. Dunno, been cypherin' like this for years now. That's fun in itself.

blackbahart
03-25-2017, 01:25 AM
I have one in 38 special and fun to beat up pop cans and tennis balls

sharps4590
03-25-2017, 10:30 AM
I am curious about the 32RF ammo. I see it occasionally at gun shows but is there enough out there to shoot it much..without breaking the bank? Or, have you devised a way to load it? I passed on one last weekend because of the ammo question. Guess I should have done some research but who knows what's at a gun show ahead of time?

bart, that's just about an American Rook rifle. I don't have the little RB but do have a Jeffery Rook re-chambered to 25-20 and yes sir, they are assuredly a fun little can and rock killin' rifle!!!

marlinman93
03-25-2017, 03:37 PM
I am curious about the 32RF ammo. I see it occasionally at gun shows but is there enough out there to shoot it much..without breaking the bank? Or, have you devised a way to load it? I passed on one last weekend because of the ammo question. Guess I should have done some research but who knows what's at a gun show ahead of time?

A .32 RF would never be my choice for any gun today, as ammo is very hard to find, and NOS ammo is $60-$100 a box depending on condition! If I had a gun that was in .32RF, I'd seriously consider reworking it to CF and shooting .32 Long CF reloadable ammo in it.
My Ballards in .32 Long have a reversible firing pin, so they shoot both RF and CF ammo. I have about 8-10 boxes of Cannuck .32 Long RF ammo, but I only shoot CF in mine. One of these days I need to sell all the newer .32 RF ammo I have, as I wont use it.

OP-The #1 1/2 is a pretty strong action, and was originally available in many pistol calibers like .32-20 and .38-40, so it can handle a decent amount of pressure. Mine is a .22RF, and have been searching for one in .32-20, which would be my dream gun! If I could find a nice one in .32RF I'd convert it to CF, and then have it chambered to .32-20 and be happy!

modified5
03-25-2017, 10:21 PM
There is a huge thread in the rim fire section about loading for the .32 rim fire which inspired me to keep mine origional and shoot it.
I turned my first case out of aluminum on my lathe and load it with black powder and use a .22 blank for a primer.
It is a rabbit hole, and I don't sit and shoot 100 rounds through it, but it is too nice to change.
It spent 50+ years not being shot and is not abused.
If it was a rust bucket I might consider it.

marlinman93
03-26-2017, 08:01 PM
There is a huge thread in the rim fire section about loading for the .32 rim fire which inspired me to keep mine origional and shoot it.
I turned my first case out of aluminum on my lathe and load it with black powder and use a .22 blank for a primer.
It is a rabbit hole, and I don't sit and shoot 100 rounds through it, but it is too nice to change.
It spent 50+ years not being shot and is not abused.
If it was a rust bucket I might consider it.

Dixie Gun Works sells cartridge adapters to allow shooting the .32 RF with a .22 blank. I tried them, but the blanks open up at firing, and were a PITA to tap out with a punch. Made shooting it little fun, and I quickly tossed them in a drawer. Probably still there!

justashooter
04-03-2017, 02:10 PM
I have a Spanish oveido 1873 copy of the #1 that is re-barreled to 32-20 with a cut down and rechambered '03 springfield barrel. it is a pleasure to shoot with either low velocity cast loads or high velocity jacketed loads.