PDA

View Full Version : To rolling block or something else

sw Idaho
03-23-2017, 11:39 PM
Hello all,

Been thinking about getting a single shot rifle for years. I'm wanting 45/70 or 45/100. Seems the rolling block has the strongest action out of the older style rifles. However, I'm open to different rifles. I'm not hooked on only original, a good quality replica is not ruled out.

So to answer the next question, what do I want to do with one of these classic rifles. Target shooting, plinking and maybe hunting.

So being a green horn, what are the pros and cons with the rolling block. If not the rolling block, what other rifle would you go with?if you do not like the rolling block, please say so. Please tell me why you picked what you did. I'm not dead set on the rolling block. I'm open to other rifles, it's a starting point.

Thank you for your help.

pworley1
03-23-2017, 11:50 PM
If you are talking about getting an antique rolling block or one of the ones made in the early 1900's, I think you will like just about everything about them. They are very interesting and simple to operate. You can get one in a wide range of calibers from.22 to .58 and even with the loads tailored to the strength of the different actions, they will and have killed any game in north America.

M-Tecs
03-23-2017, 11:52 PM
I have wanted a roller off and on for a very long time. I like the history, I like the looks but I just don't like how they fit me. Some of the original blackpower rollers are in the same strength category as Trapdoor Springfield's. Later and the modern rollers are stronger but not nearly as strong as the Winchester High Walls.

I have a couple of original Winchester 1885's and a couple of modern 1885's. For accuracy and strength they can't be beat. I also have a bunch of Trapdoor Springfield's.

John Taylor
03-24-2017, 12:06 AM
Rolling blocks are my favorite but they are not the strongest action out there. There are many single shot rifles on the market but almost all will cost more than a roller. A Winchester high wall (1885) is a very popular rifle and is stronger than a roller. A Sharps-Borchardt would be a fun target rifle but they are priced quite high. Got two of them in the shop for new barrels at this time along with a half dozen rollers. My own collection has several rollers in different sizes , one high wall , a trapdoor and a Phoeinx . My 45-70 roller is getting changed to a 38-55 soon, recoil is starting to bother me.

MaLar
03-24-2017, 12:36 AM
I have a roller in 40-65. The only problem I have had is seating a balky cartridge from black powder fouling, and the extractor doesn't have the leverage others have. If your careful with your ammo you should have no problems. Mine is very accurate.

MT Chambers
03-24-2017, 12:55 AM
I have RBs, Hiwalls, low walls, and a Sharps '74, Stevens 44 1/2, and I consider them all stronger than an original RB. My RB is an early 1 1/2 model in 38/55 and I only use BP in it. I could use smokeless in the others but choose to not do that.

Drm50
03-24-2017, 01:45 AM
I got a 11/2 that was a 25rf. I rebarreled to 22lr. Was going to go with a bigger cal, but got a free
target barrel given to me. At least it has gotten more use than a CF. I have a set of target sights
on it and it is a shooter.

sharps4590
03-24-2017, 08:10 AM
My thought is get the one that makes you smile when you take it out of the safe or gun case. Given a decent barrel and careful handloading about all of them can be made to shoot more than satisfactory. Among the early cartridge firearms the Sharps and Ballards make me smile. The larger problem is so many make me smile....German stalking rifles, Rook rifles, combination guns, drillings....

Chill Wills
03-24-2017, 08:51 AM
Hello all,

Been thinking about getting a single shot rifle for years. I'm wanting 45/70 or 45/100. Seems the rolling block has the strongest action out of the older style rifles. However, I'm open to different rifles. I'm not hooked on only original, a good quality replica is not ruled out.

I assume you are intending to shoot mostly black powder if your choice is one of the bigger 45's?

waksupi
03-24-2017, 09:35 AM
Stick with .45-70. To see why, price the .45 Basic brass for a .45-100.

bob208
03-24-2017, 11:31 AM
for a first time b-p rifle a roller is the best and cheapest. only problem is you mite have problems with .45-100 being too long. I have a Remington rolling block with a numrich barrel on it. it is a real shooter. I have a sharps in .40-65 that has a hoyt barrel it shoots great.

country gent
03-24-2017, 12:45 PM
I have several BPCR rifles Newest is a Csharps High wall in 38-55 that's a terrific shooter out to 600 yds or so. Mine is a 1-12 twist barrel and does great with a 365 grn bullet. A CPA Shillouette ( Stevens 44-1/2 reproduction) that's a very good shooter 1-16 twist barrel and handles 400-425 grain bullets very good. A Pedersoli Long Range sharps model ( Cabellas version) in 45-70 1-18 twist barrel that's a tack driver with 500-535 grn bullets including paper patched bullets. A C Sharps Hepburn in 45-90 with 1-18 twist barrel that really performs with 550 grn bullets. Both grease grooved and paper patched. I'm having a roller rebuilt into a 38-55 from 45-70 1-12 twist green mountain tapered octagon barrel to finish at 30" New walnut on it and a tuned trigger. I'm looking to add a Reproduction Sharps Brochardt to the list here shortly in 40-65 with a 1-16 twist barrel. Theres a lot of choices out there between factory off the shelf and custom builders. The pedersoli rifles are very good rifles and are lower cost, but you take whats on the shelf or offered. No real options as to what you want. The custom makers are a little more money and lead time, but you have a lot more options to get what you want. Length of pull, Type of wood, grade of wood, furniture grip caps, forend tips, checkering, Barrel length and contour, weight of rifle with in reason. finishes on metal and wood. The rollers big drawback is originals have a fairly heavy trigger pull that needs to be taken care of. Pedersoli has several models with double set triggers though. The roller and Hepburn are more user friendly when shooting prone for me as with the under levers I have to roll up on my side to work them. If you want to mount a scope the Roller CPA and Hepburn are easier with the center hammers. The roller is a fine rifle and can be very accurate shooters. But so can the others.

marlinman93
03-24-2017, 01:09 PM
I am a fan of the old Rolling Blocks, but they certainly aren't one of the strongest actions. Plenty strong for the .45-70 or even .45-100 if loaded properly, but not close to many other actions like the Win. 1885 Hi wall, Hepburn, etc.
I'd still highly recommend a Rolling Block, as they have proven themselves since the late 1860's! My choice would be the .45-70 caliber as it's cheaper to get started with, and brass and dies are plentiful!

rfd
03-24-2017, 06:56 PM
Hello all,

So to answer the next question, what do I want to do with one of these classic rifles. Target shooting, plinking and maybe hunting.

So being a green horn, what are the pros and cons with the rolling block. If not the rolling block, what other rifle would you go with?if you do not like the rolling block, please say so. Please tell me why you picked what you did. I'm not dead set on the rolling block. I'm open to other rifles, it's a starting point.

Thank you for your help.

i have and/or had 4 or 5 rolling blocks and all were by pedersoli and all were superb. my main roller is a pedi .45-70 "adobe walls" fitted with lee shaver super grade sights. there were waaaaay many more rollers built and used by the military (around the world, too) of that late 19th/early 20th century than all the other "buffalo rifles" combined. the action is robust and super easy to maintain. y'all need to say what yer intended purpose for a bpcr gun and why in heck you'd need a cartridge more potent than a .45-70 or .45-90

Wayne Smith
03-24-2017, 08:32 PM
Just remember, unless you put a heavy barrel on it you are talking about a significantly lighter rifle than many of the others. 45-70 is adequate punishment with a 520gr boolit (457125) and a ful case of BP in a trapdoor, and the roller isn't any heavier than it with a comparable weight barrel.

sw Idaho
03-24-2017, 08:49 PM
WOW, lots of great info! Thank you all for your input :D.

Being a green horn to this wonderful old rifles, I am the same way with BP. Will work on that after I find what I want. I'm sure there will be more than one. :D

Now the fun is trying to find some here in the valley to look at. Or a road trip for Father's day weekend.

country gent
03-24-2017, 09:06 PM
If you can find a BPCR match in your area stop in and visit with the competitors and see what they are shooting using and how. Watch the match and you also get an idea of the equipment needed. Most will be more than willing to give offer information and help to the newcomers.

sw Idaho
03-24-2017, 10:05 PM
Looks like I'll have to travel to get to some matches.

MaLar
03-25-2017, 12:45 AM
Monthly match in Blackfoot. http://cedarhillsgunclub.org/calendar/
I think there is a match in your area. https://idfg.idaho.gov/visit/southwest/blacks-creek/silhouette-matches

If your from SW Idaho?

sw Idaho
03-25-2017, 08:29 AM
Yes I do live in SW Idaho. I forgot about Blacks Creek. Thank you for the heads up on them.

marlinman93
03-25-2017, 03:40 PM
WOW, lots of great info! Thank you all for your input :D.

Being a green horn to this wonderful old rifles, I am the same way with BP. Will work on that after I find what I want. I'm sure there will be more than one. :D

Now the fun is trying to find some here in the valley to look at. Or a road trip for Father's day weekend.

You might consider a short road trip to the Big Reno gun show at the Grande Sierra! It's 3 times a year, and you just missed the spring show last weekend. Lots of good old single shot rifles at fair prices. Shouldn't be a problem finding a good Rolling Block in a good caliber amongst the 500+ tables there!

sw Idaho
03-26-2017, 07:47 AM
Thank you for the heads up. Trip to Reno would make the wife happy.

Drm50
03-26-2017, 11:07 AM
I had a 7x57mm Rem RB, Smokeless Action. Did the Numerich Arms Buffalo Hunter
45/70 Kit on it. Gun worked fine and was accurate. The down side was there was
a clearance problem because of diameter and length of 45/70 cartridge. You could
not run a cartridge straight into the chamber, you kinda had to keep back of cartridge
up, to clear the breech block. Could have been fixed by grinding a small radius in top
of the breech block. The larger black powder actions don't have this problem.

JSnover
03-26-2017, 11:33 AM
I have a roller in 40-65. The only problem I have had is seating a balky cartridge from black powder fouling, and the extractor doesn't have the leverage others have. If your careful with your ammo you should have no problems. Mine is very accurate.
Mine has the rotary extractor and you are correct. If a boolit gets stuck in the throat or hung up on the fouling DON'T try to force it out by yanking or tapping on the hammer block.
Mind your OAL, keep the chamber clean, bring a rod to the range to tap out anything that might get stuck.

pietro
03-26-2017, 11:57 AM

I've owned/shot/hunted with several different .45-70 single-shot rifles over the past 40-odd years, including RB's, Browning/Miroku Hi-Wall's, Ruger #1-S's, H&R Trapdoor's, and a H&R (Handi) Buffalo Classic.

For me, the locktimes make a big difference, styling preferences aside.

The central hammer Hi-Wall's & internal hammer Rugers had the fastest locktimes, but were also the most expensive.

The central hammer H&R break-open BC's locktime was only marginally slower than the Hi-Wall's & Ruger's

The roller's which have a very heavy hammer, had locktimes that were barely noticeably slower than the higher-priced Hi-Wall & Ruger's.

The slowest of all were the side-hammer trapdoor's, which IMHO have a noticeably heavy/slow hammer fall, that distracts me during game shooting.

Once I swapped out the H&R Buffalo Classic's 32" barrel for a shorter (22") Handi barrel, I liked it as much as my Ruger #1-S's - AND it was a much less expensive option.

YMMV, of course.

Also, as I've aged, I've also moved away from boolits heavier the 300gr-350gr in my .45-70's - as the lighter weight makes them much more comfortable to shoot w/o any sacrifice in effectiveness on game.

Area Man
04-02-2017, 10:04 PM
I've got a Pedersoli roller in 45-70, considering selling. Shoot me a PM if you'd like to discuss.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

marlinman93
04-03-2017, 02:14 PM
Lock times are relevant to the hammer shape and size. Big hammers like a Rolling Block, or Sharps '74 will have slower lock times. Small hammers like a 1885 Win., Ballard, Hepburn, Stevens, etc. will not be able to measure differences without some very sophisticated equipment, since they're so similar. But lock times don't mean much, as some of the finest shooters in the world are winning with an 1874 sharps clone! It's more about what you want in a gun, and how it fits you. I'd not make a choice as to what gun I'd buy until I'd looked at all the various options, and shouldered each of them to see what fits you best.
Once you decided on the gun you like the feel of, then you can narrow down calibers, and look at reviews of various makers guns to see which has the best comments from folks who have owned them.

country gent
04-03-2017, 03:12 PM
The hammer on my CPA shilouette is factory lightened with cuts in its sides and a heavier spring I suspect to make up for the lower mass. It has a very fast lock time.I have done this on M1As and garands hammers also adding a heavier spring to speed lock times. The lock times coupled with a good consistant trigger pull greatly improves position shooting.