PDA

View Full Version : 452423 6-cavity RESULTS ?

GLL
11-07-2005, 10:29 PM
I missed out on the 452423 group buy (anyone have an extra?) and was wondering how that mould has worked out. I have not seen any discussion or photos and was very sorry I did not get in on that one.

Can anyone comment on how that bullet performs. How close is it to the original Lyman version? Does the 6-cavity mould dump them very easily ? etc !

Jerry

harley45
11-07-2005, 10:43 PM
I don't have the six cavity mold but I do have a 2 cavity Iron mold that Mountain Molds cut for me that has been fantastic Charger gave me the specs and i believe from study that they were spot on. In three of my 1911s My results have been great with a charge of hs6. If I ever go Hog hunting again this is the gun and load I will try.

Bodydoc447
11-08-2005, 12:33 PM
I bought one but have not used it but once. I got a 3 pound coffee can of nice looking boolits that I am still shooting my way through. I do not have an original Lyman mold so I cannot address how close they are to original specs. The mold works very well and it is no real effort to cast a coffee can full in an afternoon's casting. I am using them in my S&W 1917 .45 Auto Rim along with the boolits from a BD45CM group buy mold. I am still looking for "the" load but I have enjoyed playing with the old trooper a lot. I used to plink with it with hardball out to 100 yards. I got minute of drum accuracy which is pretty good for a lousy shot like me. I am working my way through the can a little at a time. Got lots of projects going at the same time and two little boys to raise.

Doc

Char-Gar
11-08-2005, 01:36 PM
It will be after Thanksgiving before I can give my 6 hole Lee a try out. I am quite interested in seeing how it goes. I have a SC Lyman, a 4 hole lyman, and a 3 hole Hoch in this bullet. I will see how this lee stacks up. No suprising but the 60 year old Lyman SC is the best of the breed...just real slow!

madcaster
11-16-2005, 11:52 PM
Give me a call at 276-783-4310 if you want my mould.I just have to find out how much I gave for the mould now...
Jeff.

Buckshot
11-17-2005, 02:31 AM
Give me a call at 276-783-4310 if you want my mould.I just have to find out how much I gave for the mould now...
Jeff.

..........If it was a Lee 6 cavity group buy it was $56.

..........Buckshot

madcaster
11-17-2005, 12:19 PM
You are right Buckshot,thank you.

GLL
11-17-2005, 10:31 PM
madcaster:

I would indeed like to buy your mould and will give you a call Friday to work out details.

Thank you for the response.

Best Regards,

Jerry

GLL
11-19-2005, 11:06 PM
The results of my question turned out better than I would ever have expected. :) :)

Many thanks to Madcaster for passing along a 6-cavity group buy 452423 ! I was always disappointed that I did not get in on that one in the first place. Now I will be able to answer my own question as soon as it arrives.

Thanks again Madcaster !

Best Regards,

Jerry

mroliver77
11-23-2005, 03:03 PM
As I prolly stated before I am not very impressed with the mold. I have the mold in single cavity and it is a joy to use. The six cavity with the square lube groove does not let the casts fall very easy from it. I wanted it for my .45 Colt with a .4545 throat. With WW it casts at .453. It was supposed to cast at .454. If I go to harder alloy and cast it hot I can get to .454 but I dont need a Linotype bullet in my pistol.
Having bitched now I will say that with very carefull heat control and a big club(to beat hing pin) I get some darned nice boolits from this mold. Lots of rejects from casting cool I suppose. They are awsome in my Ruger and S&W .45ACP revolter. I did already have molds for them. I am not redy to give up though and will undoubtably try it some more someday. I hope to see a .453424 group buy one day and mebbe that will be My boolit for the Colt clone. Jay