PDA

View Full Version : Need M1 carbine firing pin hole size.......

3006guns
03-23-2017, 10:47 AM
I have an I.A.I. copy of the M1 carbine, purchased from a friend some years back. On my first trip to the range it doubled, then tripled on several shots. Oops! Disassembly and examination of the bolt revealed the firing pin jammed in the forward position, caused by a burr in the bolt firing pin hole......possibly factory.....causing the problem.

I need to run a reamer through in order to correct the problem but can't find any drawings on the internet and my government manual gives no information. Does anyone know the correct diameter of the hole in the bolt face? Thanks for any info in advance!

TNsailorman
03-23-2017, 03:34 PM
Check with the guys at Fulton Armory, they might be able to help you. They rebuild GI carbines and might know if the IAI used the same spec's. james

3006guns
03-23-2017, 03:55 PM
Will do..........thank you James.

Der Gebirgsjager
03-23-2017, 04:15 PM
If you use a small, round needle file and just rotate it around in the hole a couple of turns, gently, it should remove the burr without enlarging the hole. Also, polish the firing pin.

3006guns
03-23-2017, 06:03 PM
That's an excellent suggestion! It really only needs a simple clean up to restore function.

10-x
03-26-2017, 08:56 PM
The German Mountain Troop gave the best advice.;):p:D

3006guns
04-03-2017, 08:15 PM
Just a quick update: There was no burr in the firing pin hole after all, but the firing pin was bent at its notch! The only cause I can think of would be the rapid slamming of the hammer in F.A. fire....and a soft, commercial firing pin. A gunsmith buddy sent me a G.I. replacement pin and I just finished reassembling everything. It "racks and clacks" correctly and the firing pin is now behaving itself. A range test will be next and if successful, it's jackrabbits in Nevada afterwards!