PDA

View Full Version : Found a use for the KBAR 8mm

Freightman
07-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Mine cast at .327 and none of my 8mm do any good with it, so I sized the nose to .308 then put the GC's on sized them to .323, while putting lube in the groves then sized them to .3155 in a lee push through sizer. They are almost a simi pointed cylinder at this point. then I charged the 303 British case with 3.1 CC Lee dipper of IMR 5010, and tried some with 3.1CC WC860 pushed them in to the crimp grove which is a good compressed load, did not crimp. The result were great from my #4 Mk1 Longbranch 2 grove Enfield .76 at 50 yds on both loads the WC860 was 2.2" higher than the IMR 5010. The IMR5010 crno at average 1600+- the WC860 was 1700+- five shot groups.
I am happy, now to get it to the center at 100 yds for the military shoot in three weeks. Some of these guys who have to win are shooting Berger bullets, 30 shots and if we have a full line all they can win is $20 and some ataboys. I was told that I could never get the Enfield to shoot by one of the men who runs the shoot and a one who will spend $100 to win $1. Well that is a challenge I am going to take as I never did like to be told I couldn't do something. And I am going to give him a run for his money with cast W-W boolits. May not win but he is going to have to shoot to beat me and my cast.

Maven
07-09-2008, 07:24 PM
"I was told that I could never get the Enfield to shoot by one of the men who runs the shoot and a one who will spend $100 to win $1. Well that is a challenge I am going to take as I never did like to be told I couldn't do something."

Freightman, Good for you! Such pontification deserves to be ignored, or better, proved
100% wrong. (Don't ask how I know this!)

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
07-09-2008, 07:36 PM
I'd love to hear you embarrassed his pompous rear.

Regards,

Dave

Freightman
07-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Well it will be a couple of months as he canceled the matches this week end and the next one is not until the second saturday in August, that gives me time to prefect my load.
I got a plesent surprise yesterday anyhow, I was given a Mossburg 46B 22 S-L-LR bolt action rifle in a basket all that was together was the action and barrel. So I got it back together went and got a brick of the cheap Federal 32g value pack ammo and went to try it out. Surprise the old piece of junk shot better than any 22 I have and the groups were, lets say amazing 100 rds in basicaly the same 1" at 25 yds. I was surprised to say the least, found that they were made from'37/'47 and were used as a training rifle for the army. They are about the same weight as a '03 with a stiffner under the barrel. Not bad for a throw away.