PDA

View Full Version : 1858 Remington replicas

shotguneddy
07-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Was wondering if all the reproduction replicas stayed true to the original dimensions. For instance, is the base pin the same diameter on a Traditions cylinder as say a Pietta?

KCSO
07-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Most of the replica's are just a little undersize from casting shrinkage. The Navy Arms guns were advertised as being 100% right. I don't have any different brands to measure right now but I doubt that they would be exact.

lathesmith
07-10-2008, 10:29 AM
I am sure you are aware that the repro replicas all use metric threads, so they can't be identical to an original. I am also aware that Pietta and Uberti use different metric threads on the barrel, for example, so there has to be some dimensional variance between various models.
lathesmith

shotguneddy
07-10-2008, 12:42 PM
OK! Thanks! I think I have a handle on this now. If I'm correct, a spare cylinder bought from bass pro shops may not work with a "like model" reproduction firearm. The spare cylinders are manufacturer specific, so a spare cylinder made by Traditions probably won't fit a Pietta.

mazo kid
07-14-2008, 07:26 PM
OK! Thanks! I think I have a handle on this now. If I'm correct, a spare cylinder bought from bass pro shops may not work with a "like model" reproduction firearm. The spare cylinders are manufacturer specific, so a spare cylinder made by Traditions probably won't fit a Pietta.

Yep, you need to get the replacement cylinder that is made by the SAME mfgr as the revolver. At least I am not aware of any cylinders that are interchangeable. Emery

DLCTEX
07-14-2008, 07:53 PM
LOL I wish you guys had done this thread earlier as I just bought 2 cyls for 36 Navy Pietta hoping they would work in my 2nd. gen Colt 36 Navy. I believe they are Uberti made. If they don'twork I should be able to get my money back at the price I bought them. I'll check them when they arrive. DALE

shotguneddy
07-15-2008, 12:47 AM
Most stores will honor a 10 day return period, so long as they are unfired. I just returned one to bass pro yesterday.

2gundavid
08-01-2008, 06:25 PM
I think the C&B revolvers sold by Traditions are made by Pietta.Look for a PN with a symbol similar to a small cresent on the gun followed by a small square shape wiyh crossed barrels inside they are very small.There are web sites that explain how to I.D. the manufactore and year the gun was built.Good luck.I have 2 1858 style Pietta Remington style revolvers a .36& a .44 both are good shooters.I use Tresco nipples from the Possible Shop.They carry every thing needed to shoot and care for black powder guns.