PDA

View Full Version : Maven's day at the range: Final test of Knight inline

Maven
07-08-2008, 07:43 PM
It was so hazy, hot & humid today that I didn't feel like cleaning the grill so that I could move it indoors in order to stain our rear porch. Such days are tailor-made for a leisurely range session, and with a muzzle loader, it IS leisurely. If you've been following my testing of the Knight inline on the Front Stuffers bd. (see posts of 6/25 and 7/03), you'll remember that the rifle flew in the face of the conventional wisdom. To wit, it shot .490" RB's with .010" patches very well albeit with reduced loads. Odd thing though is that it didn't like .495" RB's & .018" patches at all whereas my other ML's love it. Then too there's the Lee R.E.A.L. experience: the 250gr. ones shot miserably, but the 320gr. ones were about as accurate as the .490" RB's, but with higher powder charges.

Today I decided to retest the 250gr. R.E.A.L.'s with 70gr. Pyro RS after paper-patching them (2 wraps of 16lb. erasible bond paper, cut to 3.171") and a new-to-me T/C Maxi-Ball mold (368gr., weighed). First, the paper-patched R.E.A.L.'s: These shot into 1 1/2" @ 50 yds. with several touching and two in virtually the same hole. They were much a much tighter fit than their unpatched brethren. The Maxi-Balls, which I weighed yesterday* were the tightest fit of all CB's tested to date. Such "goodness of fit" was a mixed blessing however. Since they fit the bore so well, I expected great results and got them, but back pressure with 70gr. & 80gr. Pyro. RS was enough to blow hot pieces of #209 primer out of the action. A reduction of the charge to 60gr. solved the problem. Btw, 5 Maxi's went into 1 1/2" @ 50 yds., with 4 touching. I should also add that I cut 1/2" discs from a cereal box (Cheerios) and seated them under every conical I tested.

In sum, since I bought the inline mostly for target purposes, Ineed to decide which CB's to stay with. The RB's are the most economical with respect to powder & Pb, but the 320gr. R.E.A.L.'s and the Maxi-Balls are about as accurate even though greater amounts of materials are used. The paper-patched lighter R.E.A.L.'s were satisfyingly accurate, but quite time consuming to produce. I.e., better results were realized with less effort with the other projectiles. If there's a lesson here it's simply that each rifle is unique and may perform much differently than the conventional wisdom suggests.

P.S. I'm not enamored of the fiber optic sights since I'm not getting the clearest sight picture with them. A receiver sight is definitely something to think about and order!

*I cast 2 batches of Maxi's, one with the ladel above the sprue hole and one with it in contact with it. The 2 methods produced significantly different results, regarding weight & weight variation & mold fill out. The ladel-in-contact method was superior in those respects for the Maxi's, but not the R.E.A.L.'s.

Buckshot
07-10-2008, 01:30 AM
..............I'm surprised that the 368 TC Maxi, and 70-80 grains of Pyro RS (supposed to be 2Fg equiv) was showing that pressure. Possibly an issue with the plug (or whatever it is) that holds the primer? Sounds like too much 'Hole" to me, or the 209 isn't being properly supported during ignition.

In my Rigby and Whitworth 45's I'm using a 530gr patched slug over a lubed felt and card wads and an 85.0 gr charge of Elephant 2Fg powder. It's lit with a #11 cap. The cap looks like an asterisk, but it's still there between the nose of the hammer and cone. Plus, the lock on the Rigby has a very short fall, and a 'Sporting' type light hammer. Add to that I had lightened the mainspring to the point I was afraid that it wouln't reliably set off the caps. Yet it doesn't lift the hammer. I'd suspect if it did it would blow the cap off, but it doesn't.

....................Buckshot

copdills
07-10-2008, 04:35 AM
Interesting Maven keep us informed, good luck

Maven
07-10-2008, 08:45 AM
I used the Win. 209 primers mostly because I had several hundred unpackaged, the result of dismantling a bunch of 16ga. shotshells. As soon as I use them up, I'll swap out the breech plug for the one that takes a standard #11 nipple ( 1/4 x 28). Also, I found that you don't have to fill the entire "lube groove" of the Maxi-Ball with lube (and on some of the original .50cal. T/C versions it is huge!) to get accurate results and minimal fouling: Filling the rear, normal-looking groove is good enough.

Linstrum
07-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Hi, Maven, thanks for the interesting read!

About 35 years ago I abandoned all hope of ever doing well with front stuffers myself, accuracy always eluded me. Since then I have come to the same conclusion that you stated:

"If there's a lesson here it's simply that each rifle is unique and may perform much differently than the conventional wisdom suggests."

Your project adds to my hope of being able to do better than I did in the past with charcoal burners when I take up front stuffing again here in the not too distant future. I bought several surplus barrels in .54 caliber from Knight Inline and have plans to assemble my own cap and ball rifle and a Hall Carbine flintlock breach loader using them.

rl376

44man
07-10-2008, 11:39 AM
OH MY GOD, a dedicated cast boolit shooter with an INLINE?????????? [smilie=1: The greatest abortion to muzzle loaders ever thought of! [smilie=w:
What is the world coming to?

Maven
07-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Linstrum, I know it can sometimes be frustrating to get good accuracy with a ML. E.g., I once had a brand new Green Mtn. replacement bbl. (.50cal.) for my T/C Hawken that wouldn't group well at all. After reading his ad "Muzzle Blasts," I wrote to Dutch Schoultz and purchased his "accuracy system" and learned all about patch thickness and bore condition. In a nutshell, I was using too thin a patch. Once I began using a .018" patch with the .490" RB, things immediately improved. Ironically, the original Hawken bbl. wasn't sensitive at all to patch thickness and I just used the same patches that worked in that bbl. in the Green Mtn. one. Odder still is the Knight, which is pretty happy with a .490" RB, but a .010" thick patch. That's part of the reason I wrote what I did about the conventional wisdom yesterday. Persevere my friend!

44man, I know inlines are despised as the work of the Devil and I understand some of that animus, but some of it is a bit over the top too. It will comfort you to know that (a) only 5 of the projectiles I used in the Knight were "store bought," (5 saboted SWC's came with it and weren't particularly accurate), the rest were cast by me*; and (b) I have no intention of giving in to the Dark Side of the Force and will continue to use and enjoy my traditional ML's. I will grant you this, though, the inline takes much more time to clean than my other ML's: You wouldn't believe the amount of fouling that accumulates in the breech with #209 primers!

*No more saboted bullets of any kind will find their way into its bore again and that's a fact!

btroj
07-10-2008, 06:03 PM
I also have a Knight inline but love both cast boolits and sabots. Try a Lyman 457155 HP out of pure lead sized down to .452. I've shot 2 deer with that in a sabot over 150 of pyrodex pellets. It recoils hard but boy does it kill deer. Just don't hit em in the shoulder.