PDA

View Full Version : Finn Fun

WineMan
07-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Got a chance to put everything together and see what this cast Boolit thing is all about.

The basics are a 1942 Finn M39 with a VKT barrel; ACWW+2% Sn; LEE 312-160 TL Boolit; LLA; Alliant 2400; CCI LR primers; Winchester white box fired brass.

The barrel slugs at 0.301 x 0.3115. The boolits were sized in a LEE push through die @0.314" and had Hornady Gas Checks. One coat of LLA

I used the Ed Harris recommendation for Alliant 2400 at 17.5 grains (1.3 cc).

This was off a bench at 50 yards, the black is 4" in diameter.

The sights were set at 200 meters and I held at 6:00.

Fun to shoot, easy on the shoulder and accurate although I swear I only shot 10 rounds but it looks like 11 to me.

The trigger is very light on this rifle (3lb on my fishing scale) but I would not describe it as "crisp". The fliers are when during take up, sometimes it seems to let off earlier than at other times. I have not figured this out yet. The sear looks nice and sharp and all of the crud was cleaned out of the works. Something to look into though.

For all of the great posts and reams of good information plus the camaraderie, thanks!

Cheers

Wineman

Ricochet
07-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Looks like 11 to me, too.

Whatever, it was shooting right well.

Uncle Grinch
07-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Yep.. I count 11 also.

You didn't, by chance, have someone on the next bench shooting also. May be a "stray" shot from a neighbor.

jhrosier
07-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Maybe a gas check separated from the boolit just in front of the target.

Jack

WineMan
07-08-2008, 10:37 PM
There were two of us shooting that day at our "lunch" range at work. We had two target stands and were shooting the M39 and a M1917 at both stands each taking turns at three targets on each. Who knows, as we were not logging shots just spotting for each other? My Buddie's target is even more impressive (younger eyes?) and he agrees with me on the "whoops" factor on trigger.

Wineman

Calamity Jake
07-09-2008, 08:18 AM
"I swear I only shot 10 rounds but it looks like 11 to me."

It's them dadburned ol lee boolets!!!!!!

There commen apart in flight donchya know. :razz:

JBMauser
07-12-2008, 05:23 PM
No it is 10.

one that looks like two hit the target with quite a bit of Yaw, if you look below the hole the paper was bent as it punched it's way thru.

I recognize it because of the old "been there done that" Look at the other holes with close attention to any ovals or drag on one side. The hole closest to the bull looks like it has some paper hanging on at 6:00 as well, another yaw but not so pronounced. I see a few others as well.

mind you I am looking at a jpeg that does not hold up well under magnification. you have the target look closely for even concentricity of holes.

The bullet may need more than 50 yards to stabilize. try the same load out to 100 yds.

play with the load, try a few grains less. inspect the holes for yaw. Also check for slight leading. That can mess you up as well as you know. best of luck. JB