PDA

View Full Version : Food/Things You Love, But Can't Get Where You Live?

308Jeff
03-18-2017, 03:15 PM
I grew up in south central Kentucky. Got hooked on a few foods while living there that I just can't get here in AZ.

Fisher's Pickled Bologna - Might sound gross, but it's delish on Saltine's. I can order it online, but it's expensive and usually about 20 bazillion dollars for shipping.190980 The super duper amazing bonus of this stuff is you can boil a bunch of eggs and drop them in the brine after the bologna is gone and have the best dam pickled eggs evar.

Bar B Q Fritos - What they hay, Frito Lay? Why can't we have this goodness here in AZ??

Country Ham - Well... What can be said about country ham that anyone one who knows what it is hasn't already said. I could drive to the other side of the freeway and get some on a plate at Cracker Barrel (I Think?), but I just want to have some in my fridge dammit.

Nehi Peach Soda - Yeah, I can get it from Amazon for $1.29 a can, but I ain't despit.

birch
03-18-2017, 03:20 PM
In Manistee Michigan, there is a pizza place called Big Al's. There is a sandwhich there called "The Big Al's Special".

Manistee is about an hour and 15 away from me, so I don't get to eat there much. If they were a mile away, I would be a much fatter and happier man.

308Jeff
03-18-2017, 03:24 PM
In Manistee Michigan, there is a pizza place called Big Al's. There is a sandwhich there called "The Big Al's Special".

Manistee is about an hour and 15 away from me, so I don't get to eat there much. If they were a mile away, I would be a much fatter and happier man.

Oh I hear ya.

Two things I loved while living in Colorado Springs - The Bacon, Sour Cream, and Avocado burger from Meadow Muffins, and Laughing Lab Ale. :cry:

Sweetpea
03-18-2017, 04:19 PM
Coney dogs, better maid chips, and faygo!

762sultan
03-18-2017, 04:25 PM
I can't find French's sloppy joe mix in the envelope pack. Just add ground meat to a can of tomato paste with some water and in minutes its ready. I have to buy it on-line.

JWFilips
03-18-2017, 05:05 PM
No Pig Sheep or Cow brains any where these days: one of my early years favorites!

Rufus Krile
03-18-2017, 05:11 PM
West Texas Pepper Traders (out of Abilene) make a bread-and-butter pickled jalapeņo marinade... zero salt, zero sugar... that works for beef, chicken, pork... Order it by the case because the grocery stores stopped carrying it.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-18-2017, 05:40 PM
when I visited by native cousins in AK, the Salmon they'd catch (subsistence), then dry/cure into Salmon sticks, it was like nothing I've ever had anywhere else, not salty at all, they said it didn't need to be stored in refrigeration. Also, they'd dry/cure the belly of King Salmon separate, they'd call that "Half-dry", stored in Freezer, they'd cook it in boiling water, my gosh that was rich, it was like eating pre-buttered Lobster, of course with the flavor of Salmon.

dragon813gt
03-18-2017, 05:55 PM
Mine goes beyond where I live because I travel for work. What I miss when I leave are Tastykake products. But what I really miss are the WaWa and Sheetz stores. The country is severely lacking in convenience stores of that quality. Scrapple, pork roll and PA Dutch food are on this list as well.

What I can't get at home is Barbecue. I prefer Kansas City style over Texas. And don't even bother bringing Carolina style into it because that ain't barbecue. I'd love to be able to go out and get some burnt ends right now.

Mk42gunner
03-18-2017, 06:25 PM
Where I live is about as Midwest as it gets, and you can not get good seafood or Mexican food here.

One time I was home on leave and my uncle took me to a restaurant that was supposed to have good seafood. The "king (ha) crab legs were about the size of a pencil. I really miss getting those of the boat like when I was on Adak.

I also got used to getting a really good carne asada burrito just about anywhere when I was stationed in California. Not to be found in Missouri.

Robert

Handloader109
03-18-2017, 06:34 PM
Boiled peanuts. You'd think Arkansas would have some, but if you get 50 miles from the river, you can fergit. Decent fried catfish! A coupe of places up here try hard, and actually sell a good bit, but just don't get it right. Gulf Oysters! Any which way....

jonp
03-18-2017, 07:06 PM
I can't find French's sloppy joe mix in the envelope pack. Just add ground meat to a can of tomato paste with some water and in minutes its ready. I have to buy it on-line.

Dang! Grew up on that stuff although we bought McCormicks. I have not bought it in some time and had not realized it was hard to find.

ohiomadman
03-18-2017, 07:24 PM
Boiled peanuts. You'd think Arkansas would have some, but if you get 50 miles from the river, you can fergit. Decent fried catfish! A coupe of places up here try hard, and actually sell a good bit, but just don't get it right. Gulf Oysters! Any which way.... I love boiled peanuts. Have not had any in about 45 years. My Grandparents used get for us when they went down south on vacation.

I also miss the Yaki Soba from Okinawa when I was stationed there.

jonp
03-18-2017, 07:27 PM
I've lived in several places and have always noticed different foods that are available there and no-where else. When I was driving coast to coast I made it a point to go into local grocery stores and look for stuff I had never seen before.

In NC where I'm at now you can't seem to find a number of things. Natural Cased HotDogs that snap when you bite into them (hello McKenzie's!). Pickled Tripe I miss (rolled in egg and crushed crackers then fried, yum), Vermont Common Crackers, Brown Bread in a can, MayPo, Hot Dog buns that are sliced on the top like God intended not on the sides, Star Crushed Peppers, Cains Mayonnaise, Salt Pork ( we have no idea why you can't find this here pigs are everywhere and how in the world do you make baked beans without it?), side pork, Schaefer Beer or Genessee for that matter, Maple Leaf Maple Bacon, Ketchup Potato Chips.

jonp
03-18-2017, 07:29 PM
Mine goes beyond where I live because I travel for work. What I miss when I leave are Tastykake products. But what I really miss are the WaWa and Sheetz stores. The country is severely lacking in convenience stores of that quality. Scrapple, pork roll and PA Dutch food are on this list as well.

What I can't get at home is Barbecue. I prefer Kansas City style over Texas. And don't even bother bringing Carolina style into it because that ain't barbecue. I'd love to be able to go out and get some burnt ends right now.

Your in PA and you don't have a Sheetz or WaWa's near you? Finding that hard to believe

Blanket
03-18-2017, 07:34 PM
No Pig Sheep or Cow brains any where these days: one of my early years favorites! I really miss scrambled pork brains for supper. CWD stopped the sale of brains everywhere. Was on the menu at my house growing up about once a week

15meter
03-18-2017, 07:36 PM
Lobster rolls, traveled to Conn. to call on Pratt & Whitney years ago, lived on lobster rolls when I was out there.

And Philly calling on Boeing Vertol, cheese steaks. I can feel the arteries hardening just thinking about them.

And Rudy's Bar-b-que in San Antonio when @ Toyota.

Or this hole in the wall bar in Davenport Ia. for pork tenderloin sandwich with fries the cut when you ordered.

I traveled way too much.

jonp
03-18-2017, 07:47 PM
I really miss scrambled pork brains for supper. CWD stopped the sale of brains everywhere. Was on the menu at my house growing up about once a week

Not everywhere. You can still get them here

Blanket
03-18-2017, 08:00 PM
never had canned brains before, just fresh ones scrambled with eggs

dragon813gt
03-18-2017, 08:00 PM
Your in PA and you don't have a Sheetz or WaWa's near you? Finding that hard to believe

Says "I miss when I leave" before mentioning them.

dragon813gt
03-18-2017, 08:06 PM
And Philly calling on Boeing Vertol, cheese steaks. I can feel the arteries hardening just thinking about them.

I can't tell you the last time I ate a cheese steak. Everyone makes them here. And almost all the places in Philly are horrible. When you grow up eating them you grow tired of them.

I ate Rudy's last week. It's okay but nothing special IMO. You can do a lot worse. There "sause" is bad if you ask me.

I've found there is a line somewhere in VA where if you go below it you can't get a good slice of pizza. I know it's made everywhere but it's usually just serviceable food. It's an art that seems to be lost outside the north east.

jonp
03-18-2017, 08:11 PM
Says "I miss when I leave" before mentioning them.

Thought you were talking about TastyKakes.

44deerslayer
03-18-2017, 08:16 PM
Stuffed cabbage
stuffed peppers
coleslaw

dragon813gt
03-18-2017, 08:23 PM
Thought you were talking about TastyKakes.

The exact sentence is "but what I really miss are the WaWa and Sheetz stores."

Paper Puncher
03-18-2017, 08:38 PM
Maull's BBQ sauce. Can't make a good St Louis style pork steak without it.

PaulG67
03-18-2017, 08:43 PM
I once traveled to Wisconsin for my employer, can't remember the town I was in but stayed at an inn called the Audubon Inn. In said Inn there was a bar/restaurant that I gravitated to in the evenings. They had a beer that was brewed just for them by some local brewery, IIRC it was call Audubon Gold that was so good I wanted to bring home several cases of the stuff and of course I could not. The second best beer/ale I have ever had to date, the first being an ale called Formidable Ale that is brewed somewhere in England but not exported, a friend had traveled there and returned with several cans he thought I would like, he was right.

jonp
03-18-2017, 08:48 PM
The exact sentence is "but what I really miss are the WaWa and Sheetz stores."

Ok, you want to argue for some reason. The exact sentence and the following one are "What I miss when I leave are Tastykake products. But what I really miss are the WaWa and Sheetz stores." The first one you leave, the second one you don't.

jonp
03-18-2017, 08:50 PM
I once traveled to Wisconsin for my employer, can't remember the town I was in but stayed at an inn called the Audubon Inn. In said Inn there was a bar/restaurant that I gravitated to in the evenings. They had a beer that was brewed just for them by some local brewery, IIRC it was call Audubon Gold that was so good I wanted to bring home several cases of the stuff and of course I could not. The second best beer/ale I have ever had to date, the first being an ale called Formidable Ale that is brewed somewhere in England but not exported, a friend had traveled there and returned with several cans he thought I would like, he was right.

Odd how you run across stuff like that. Best beer I ever had was Guiness Export. Most likely because I was staying at an old coffee plantation in Tanzania when I first had it. The second time I ran across it was at a beach side bar in Belize. Great stuff.

15meter
03-18-2017, 09:24 PM
I can't tell you the last time I ate a cheese steak. Everyone makes them here. And almost all the places in Philly are horrible. When you grow up eating them you grow tired of them.

I ate Rudy's last week. It's okay but nothing special IMO. You can do a lot worse. There "sause" is bad if you ask me.

I've found there is a line somewhere in VA where if you go below it you can't get a good slice of pizza. I know it's made everywhere but it's usually just serviceable food. It's an art that seems to be lost outside the north east.

I found one of the old places near Philadelphia, theirs was great. If it is not done right they can be awful.

Did you go to the original Rudy's northwest of town? The franchises just don't seem to get the smoking right.

GL49
03-18-2017, 09:34 PM
Not everywhere. You can still get them here

Wow. This is OK and lead is supposed to be bad for you? Wow. :kidding:

I worked with a guy who looked forward to getting an animal every hunting season, just so he could have "fresh" scrambled eggs and brains. Now I work with his son. Barney's 91 now, still going strong, but doesn't walk quite as much during hunting season. Maybe you guys know something I don't.

Now back on track, I miss Kentucky Fried barbecued chicken.

Blanket
03-18-2017, 10:10 PM
Lobster rolls, traveled to Conn. to call on Pratt & Whitney years ago, lived on lobster rolls when I was out there.

Or this hole in the wall bar in Davenport Ia. for pork tenderloin sandwich with fries the cut when you ordered.

I traveled way too much. If you ever get back to eastern Iowa, you can get the best tenderloin in Muscatine Iowa at a place called Tee's. It is called the hubcap and that is not an overstatement

JWT
03-19-2017, 12:22 AM
I travel for work, so I end up missing great fod that I had while out of town that I just can't get in the Detroit area. I can understand not getting good Cajun here but why can't I get good BBQ?

I miss steak at The Prime Quarter in Janesville, WI and at Paragon in Moraine, OH.

From Shreveport, LA I miss game dinners and live blues at the Noble Savage, catfish pretty much anywhere, Sammy's BBQ, Etouffee, and the Crawfish Palace.

From Spring Hill, TN I miss BBQ from Jack Of Hearts.

xs11jack
03-19-2017, 12:39 AM
In the 80s I lived in Redondo Beach, in the LA area. A good friend turned me on to South Pacific Export Lager beer. Superb stuff. Can't find it anywhere else.
Ole Jack

Bzcraig
03-19-2017, 12:53 AM
The best hamburgers in the West........ Triangle Burger! Was going to list Spotted Dick but haven't actually tried it yet.

Fishman
03-19-2017, 08:36 AM
What I miss is good Thai food and Vietnamese as well. There are stellar restaraunts for both in DFW, Austin, and San Antonio but for some reason none in the Waco area. It is a sad situation when the best Asian cuisine on can find is Pei Wei or Panda Express. My personal theory, and I'm not joking, is that the local long term Asian buffet rules the area kind of like a mafia. Any competitors that come in soon have some "problems". Wierd.

Anyway, good Thai green curry is to die for.

Rick N Bama
03-19-2017, 08:52 AM
I grew up in south central Kentucky. Got hooked on a few foods while living there that I just can't get here in AZ.

Fisher's Pickled Bologna - Might sound gross, but it's delish on Saltine's. I can order it online, but it's expensive and usually about 20 bazillion dollars for shipping.190980 The super duper amazing bonus of this stuff is you can boil a bunch of eggs and drop them in the brine after the bologna is gone and have the best dam pickled eggs evar.

Bar B Q Fritos - What they hay, Frito Lay? Why can't we have this goodness here in AZ??

Country Ham - Well... What can be said about country ham that anyone one who knows what it is hasn't already said. I could drive to the other side of the freeway and get some on a plate at Cracker Barrel (I Think?), but I just want to have some in my fridge dammit.

Nehi Peach Soda - Yeah, I can get it from Amazon for $1.29 a can, but I ain't despit.

I sometimes buy a jar of the pickled Bologna when I visit with my son in KY. It's OK for a while, but I can never finish off a jar. FWIW it also makes a fair Catfish Bait :groner:

Loudy13
03-19-2017, 08:56 AM
Good pickled Garlic, there used to be a store at the Mall of America that you could buy a huge jar or it in many flavors. I can find a small jar from time to time but it hasn't been the same.

Reindeer and some other dried wild game (cant remember the animal) I had in Norway, tried to bring some back but customs wasn't having it. That stuff was legendary!

375supermag
03-19-2017, 10:06 AM
Hi...

I miss Chuck's Steak House in Danbury, Connecticut. Great restaurant, great ribeyes. I used to get up there a couple times a year, but my health makes it more of a hassle than it is worth to drive 5 hours or so one way and stay overnight.

When I am out of the southcentral Pennsylvania area, I really miss Seltzer's Sweet Lebanon Bologna. Just great stuff.
One of my aunts and uncle lived out of the area and my mother used to send them some every year before they passed away.

Idaho45guy
03-19-2017, 11:04 AM
I miss good beef. I grew up here and never really liked steak. Then I moved to Iowa and had a grilled corn-fed ribeye. Absolutely delicious! I could get great ribeyes at the local Fareway store. I also miss tenderloin sandwiches from Iowa as well. And Taco Pizza from Casey's. Oh, and Culver's and Hardee's fast food restaurants.

Too bad everything else about Iowa was awful; the weather, the environment, the small town white trash, the smell, the lack of wilderness, muddy and gross water, my ex-wife's family, etc.

Then I moved to AZ for several years and you could find a good ribeye every now and then, but not often. Now that I've been back home for three years, I've yet to find a good ribeye.

And in my area there aren't any seafood places. It's weird. I live in a tiny town of 1200. Within 15 miles of me are two college towns with a population of around 60k. We are roughly 300 miles from the Pacific ocean. Not even a crappy seafood place like Red Lobster or Long John Silver's. And no Olive garden. No Burger King, no In-N-Out Burger or Whataburger.

Oh, well. The nearest town does have five pot shops and not a single gun shop or FFL holder...

bedbugbilly
03-19-2017, 11:29 AM
My wife is a "yooper" and I was a "troll" - for those that aren't Michigander's, a yooper is from the U.P. and a troll lives underneath the bridge - we're also called berry pickers and fudgies -

Anyway - I fondly remember the "pasties" - especially the homemade ones that my mother in law used to make. Out here in AZ you just don't see 'em. BUT . . . believe it or not . . . on our way out the the Desert Museum the other day, we actually saw a sign advertising pasties . . . we didn't pursue it but I imagine that it was probably a transplanted yooper that was making and selling them. In lower Michigan we used to be able to buy "Madelines Pasties" (sp?) in the grocery story and maybe you still can . . . good but not like the good old homemade version.

runfiverun
03-19-2017, 11:48 AM
I was gonna say sea-food.
but after thinking about it we don't have much of anything here.
no take out/delivery of any kind.
the burger joint is about the only fast food in town.[only it don't have a drive through window]
the Mexican restaurant is open sometimes, and not sometimes, you just have to go look.
the best semi-fast food around here is the taco wagon in the next town over but you have to work on your Spanish a little bit to get what you want or they put too much rice on your burrito.

sometimes our little grocery store has crab legs they get from somewhere in Alaska during the season.
but it would be cheaper for me to go up there and throw my own crab pots in the ocean.

what do I miss?
I pretty much miss everything food wise.
chili peppers of any sort.
Seafood
Pizza.
Chinese.
Thai.
well there is a thai place over in Lava but the cook ain't ever been to Thailand and has no clue that his '10' hot is a '2' on a good day, and the spices are all wrong.

thankfully we at least we have access to Cache Valley cheese, sorry Wisconsinite's but it is at least 5 times better.

Baked Goods, good lord,,,, bleh.
how hard is it to make a decent cookie.

Epd230
03-19-2017, 12:02 PM
Here is what I miss from Ohio

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcBofIjGD9RHxmowHl0gM2Fm9MOU14K 6WDTwQCRHqUGVpogvy4Zg

jmort
03-19-2017, 12:10 PM
In - N - Out Burger

nagantguy
03-19-2017, 02:57 PM
Your MI is showing!!! Just had those exact things for lunch on Friday working over Flint way!

Bzcraig
03-19-2017, 04:43 PM
In - N - Out Burger

They are good.......Right now I'm thinking 'animal style!'

308Jeff
03-19-2017, 05:06 PM
In - N - Out Burger

I have one about a half mile from me. When the wind is blowing right, I can smell it. And that usually leads to me going through the drive-thru.

labradigger1
03-19-2017, 05:20 PM

Next time I go salmon fishing there I'll give them a try

jonp
03-19-2017, 06:19 PM
Good pickled Garlic, there used to be a store at the Mall of America that you could buy a huge jar or it in many flavors. I can find a small jar from time to time but it hasn't been the same.

Reindeer and some other dried wild game (cant remember the animal) I had in Norway, tried to bring some back but customs wasn't having it. That stuff was legendary!

I lucked into Gilroy, CA when the Garlic Festival was going on one year and had some garlic ice cream. If you are a lover of garlic that festival is a must on your bucket list

jonp
03-19-2017, 06:20 PM
In - N - Out Burger

I always like Whattaburger better but it's all good.

wch
03-19-2017, 06:44 PM
Louisiana crawfish, alligator tail.

JWFilips
03-19-2017, 06:47 PM
Canned Brains! Where do I get them? Dang that is good eating out of a can!

15meter
03-19-2017, 07:41 PM
I miss good beef. I grew up here and never really liked steak. Then I moved to Iowa and had a grilled corn-fed ribeye. Absolutely delicious! I could get great ribeyes at the local Fareway store. I also miss tenderloin sandwiches from Iowa as well. And Taco Pizza from Casey's. Oh, and Culver's and Hardee's fast food restaurants.

Too bad everything else about Iowa was awful; the weather, the environment, the small town white trash, the smell, the lack of wilderness, muddy and gross water, my ex-wife's family, etc.

Then I moved to AZ for several years and you could find a good ribeye every now and then, but not often. Now that I've been back home for three years, I've yet to find a good ribeye.

And in my area there aren't any seafood places. It's weird. I live in a tiny town of 1200. Within 15 miles of me are two college towns with a population of around 60k. We are roughly 300 miles from the Pacific ocean. Not even a crappy seafood place like Red Lobster or Long John Silver's. And no Olive garden. No Burger King, no In-N-Out Burger or Whataburger.

Oh, well. The nearest town does have five pot shops and not a single gun shop or FFL holder...

Gotta add bone in ribeye steaks. From grade school past college we had feeder beef on the farm, 160-190 a year. Always "hard finished", ground corn and hay ration from 700 lbs. up to 1300-1350. White faced Herefords. We always kept 1 to 1 1/2 steers for our own freezer. Had a college buddy always criticized me for ordering well done when we went into a restaurant, brought him down to the farm and had dinner one day, either steaks or a roast, he was stunned. He said he never had beef that good before in his life, he told me that now he understood that great beef did not have to be rare to raw to have any flavor. Depresses me to go into the meat markets now and see them trumpeting "grass fed". People don't understand what was graded prime today was choice in 1975, and the old prime doe not exist anymore.

308Jeff
03-19-2017, 08:10 PM
Agreed. Even the few chain stores that carry Prime don't put forward a very good example.

You've got to go to a specialty butcher and pay super primo for some real Prime.

runfiverun
03-19-2017, 08:13 PM
we used to get fay-go at the local dollar store every now and then.
I'd grab a case or two of different variety's and take them over to a Michigan bud I worked with in Wyoming.
I developed a liking for the rockin-rye after a little bit.

the look on his face was priceless when I gave him the first mixed flat of the stuff.

rockrat
03-19-2017, 09:29 PM
Good Tex-mex and good thin crust pizza (best I had was in Ohio at a place called Cameo's). Grinders (D'elias in Riverside, CA) and Van De Camps Cinnamon crumb crullers and Mr. J's doughnuts in Redlands, CA. Fresh seafood off the Oregon Coast (Fried Halibut was outstanding). Good BBQ (Texas style or memphis style) although I will say my smoked pork butt or smoked corned beef is da bomb!!

jmort
03-19-2017, 09:33 PM
D'elias in Riverside, CA

Now your talking

M-Tecs
03-19-2017, 09:57 PM
Fleischkuechle (Flesh-Keek-Luh)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleischkuekle

jonp
03-20-2017, 07:29 AM
Sounds similar to tourtiere although those are baked. Sugared cruellers you cant find here. I miss Coffee Cup Cruellers in the morning

PbHurler
03-20-2017, 07:48 AM
Good roadways

Food wise: veal sweetbreads

FISH4BUGS
03-20-2017, 10:43 AM
If you travel out of New England there are 2 things you CANNOT get: lobster rolls and Moxie. If you have never tried Moxie, think liquid tires would taste like.
It is definitely an acquired taste.

RU shooter
03-20-2017, 11:06 AM

on my end end of the state if you want a Sheetz just drive 5 miles in any direction same with the Get Go and the new comer to the group Speedway . scrapple ohhhhh I do remember that from my youth , least once a week mom would make it .

What I truely miss is when on vacation to the coast is honest to god good and FRESH seafood . Just can't get really good seafood away from the coast

jonp
03-20-2017, 11:28 AM
I love Moxie although i think they changed the recipe

square butte
03-20-2017, 12:30 PM
I think Moxie is better out of the bottle than the can. We can't find it in a bottle here - but can get it at Dietrich's market down in Kempton PA. We used to buy it by the case for a friend when we go down to Dixon's Gun Builders Fair in July

Finster101
03-20-2017, 12:57 PM
We are starting to get WaWa's here in Florida. There are two near me. I used to pick up coke bottle to take to the little general store outside of Columbia Ky. when I was a kid. 2 or 3 bottles would get you a pretty nice piece of pickled baloney and some crackers.

dragon813gt
03-20-2017, 01:33 PM
on my end end of the state if you want a Sheetz just drive 5 miles in any direction

That's how it is here. I'm right at the crossover point. There is a Sheetz and a WaWa by my house. Head east and there are no more Sheetz. Head west and WaWas get thin real quick. I honestly try not to eat at either one of them. But when I travel to an area where all they have is 7elevens or smaller chains it sucks.

Devon
03-20-2017, 05:14 PM
I got hooked on lobster rolls on my last trip to see some grandkids in New Hampshire. Even McDonald's sell them, when they are in season. Wonderful stuff.

PtMD989
03-20-2017, 05:56 PM

Michigan? How about Kogels hotdogs and pickled bologna?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PtMD989
03-20-2017, 06:04 PM
Your MI is showing!!! Just had those exact things for lunch on Friday working over Flint way!
As usual I'm a day late and a dollar short.

ericp
03-20-2017, 08:01 PM
Sailor Boy Pilot Bread

Got hooked on the stuff in AK, cannot find a place to order it here in Michigan or online.

Eric

Sweetpea
03-20-2017, 08:03 PM
Michigan? How about Kogels hotdogs and pickled bologna?

Can't have a proper coney dog without a kogels!

PtMD989
03-20-2017, 08:21 PM
Can't have a proper coney dog without a kogels!

Flint or Detroit? it's all good. Viennas or skinless. Gotta have onions and cheese.

Sweetpea
03-20-2017, 10:19 PM
Flint or Detroit? it's all good. Viennas or skinless. Gotta have onions and cheese.

Detroit, and gotta have that pop from the casing!

marlin39a
03-21-2017, 07:58 AM
Kayem hot dogs. I loved them back east. Natural casing, nice snap. Oh, and the sea food.

barrabruce
03-21-2017, 09:08 AM
Dunno what you's are all on about ...but its making me hungry anyway.
Ha
Might have to make a trip to the land of flags and anthems for an extended food fest.

I can't get chips and chocolates here.

I'm a chip and chocolate ,lollie 'oholic

The wife says that the supermarket doesn't have that isle anymore.

And what pitiful rations l may get ..well it disappears quick.

But I have a secret source for such things and locations to dump the tel tale evidence.

But alas my belly gives me away.

She always knows.....how does she always know!!!

Bahhh humbug

PtMD989
03-21-2017, 09:11 AM
Detroit, and gotta have that pop from the casing!

Hormel chili hot no beans and viennas. You can't go wrong.

Sig
03-21-2017, 09:26 AM
Stone crab & conch. I feast on that stuff when I'm in the Keys or Bahamas. Conch fritters, conch salad, fried conch. Can't get enough. Darn good bait too.

jim147
03-21-2017, 10:55 AM
Conch fritters good stuff. And fresh king crab legs back when I was young and could eat a couple pounds of them. Good fresh seafood is just impossible to get around here unless you fill the truck with coolers and do a overnighter to Shreveport.

Go chicken go gizzards and that spicy go sauce. That's only a two and a half hour trip to Kansas City so every few months I go get a couple boxes of those.

scarry scarney
03-21-2017, 11:03 AM
I lucked into Gilroy, CA when the Garlic Festival was going on one year and had some garlic ice cream. If you are a lover of garlic that festival is a must on your bucket list

Jonp - I tried the Garlic ice cream. Was good for the first couple of bites, then.....I'd happily trade all the garlic ice cream for a good cat fish fry house, with hush puppies and fried okra!!

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-21-2017, 11:24 AM

Jonp - I tried the Garlic ice cream. Was good for the first couple of bites, then.....I'd happily trade all the garlic ice cream for a good cat fish fry house, with hush puppies and fried okra!!
The Minnesota Garlic Festival is a short drive away, I always go to it. They've had Garlic Ice cream every year...Good Stuff.
The festival is pretty popular these days, so it draws a large diverse crowd. But when it first started out, years ago, the only people there were rural veggie farmer types and urban hippie types, and let me tell you, that is just a crazy mix.

Loudy13
03-21-2017, 12:13 PM
The Minnesota Garlic Festival is a short drive away, I always go to it. They've had Garlic Ice cream every year...Good Stuff.
The festival is pretty popular these days, so it draws a large diverse crowd. But when it first started out, years ago, the only people there were rural veggie farmer types and urban hippie types, and let me tell you, that is just a crazy mix.

What?? I am going to have to look this up...Thank you

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-21-2017, 01:00 PM
What?? I am going to have to look this up...Thank you
The 12th Annual Garlic Festival will be August 12th, 2017
McLeod County Fairgrounds (http://www.sfa-mn.org/garlicfest/directions/) in Hutchinson (http://www.explorehutchinson.com/), MN 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Adults: $5,
Kids under 12: free
$1 Parking per vehicle

http://www.sfa-mn.org/garlicfest/

jonp
03-21-2017, 01:09 PM
Im a real garlic fanatic and put it on everything from scrambled eggs to steak. Never forget coming down into Gilroy and all you can smell is garlic.

Loudy13
03-21-2017, 01:09 PM
The 12th Annual Garlic Festival will be August 12th, 2017
McLeod County Fairgrounds (http://www.sfa-mn.org/garlicfest/directions/) in Hutchinson (http://www.explorehutchinson.com/), MN 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Adults: $5,
Kids under 12: free
$1 Parking per vehicle

http://www.sfa-mn.org/garlicfest/

Thanks for the info already scheduled it with the boss, she loves garlic!

Tom W.
03-21-2017, 01:11 PM
I have trouble finding perogies here. I love them either fried or boiled with chopped onions sauteed with a stick of butter until the onions are almost transparent, and pour the melted butter all over the cooked delicious perogies. I don't know how many I can consume since my last surgery, but prior to that I could eat almost a whole bag.

Harter66
03-21-2017, 02:25 PM
Old school rock salt range beef top rib roast ...... Can't even get from the place that hooked me on it .

There was a couple of home town donut shops that are long since gone I miss . They didn't have a single bad one in the case ever . The apple and cherry fritters ......I ain't had one in 20 yr that wasn't burned . The 1972 Schats Bavarian cream eclair is gone forever the old man must have taken the recipe to his grave ......

I find that the complex flavors I remember have been replaced by some stand up and slap you in the face intense single or double flavor . I don't like rye bread and toasted it's even more offensive , but add some yellow mustard , hot pastrami , real brine cure sourkraut , Swiss cheese and actual 1000 island dressing it's right tasty .

woodbutcher
03-22-2017, 01:19 AM
:D Ahhhhhhhhhhhh yes.Fresh sea food.My idea of fresh seafood is this.It`s still kicking when it`s being cleaned.Used to go to the Sebastian Inlet to go shrimping.On a good trip we could get 150 to 200 pounds of 8 or 10 to a pound size.Yum,yum.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

15meter
03-22-2017, 10:09 AM
If you travel out of New England there are 2 things you CANNOT get: lobster rolls and Moxie. If you have never tried Moxie, think liquid tires would taste like.
It is definitely an acquired taste.

A couple of years ago I was in Canada, saw a sign at a McDonald's advertising lobster rolls. I've done some silly things in my life. Just not that silly. Or brave.

308Jeff
03-22-2017, 10:14 AM
Im a real garlic fanatic and put it on everything from scrambled eggs to steak. Never forget coming down into Gilroy and all you can smell is garlic.

I worked in Newark for a while. When the wind was right, you could smell the garlic all the way from Gilroy.

DougGuy
03-22-2017, 10:28 AM
A couple of years ago I was in Canada, saw a sign at a McDonald's advertising lobster rolls.

My first visit to NH in 2000 found McDonald's has lobster rolls for $3 each, and man they were GOOD! One entire lobster, tail and claw meat, white sauce, on a special bun that imo "makes" the roll.

We have a Cousins Maine Lobster food truck here that makes the same roll, they use the same bread, flown in overnite, they are $15 each and ppl stand in line over an hour to get one. Put it on a hot dog bun? Boring.. It's the bread that makes the roll.

Brasso
03-22-2017, 10:37 AM
I miss JRECK's subs with extra peppers. Only franchised in New York. And their steak-bombs with extra peppers.

marlin39a
03-23-2017, 10:28 AM
I would say the variety of fresh seafood I used to get back East. I gotta say that pickled Bologna looks great! And yes, I can't find that here in Arizona.

308Jeff
03-23-2017, 01:30 PM
I would say the variety of fresh seafood I used to get back East. I gotta say that pickled Bologna looks great! And yes, I can't find that here in Arizona.

You can't even get cornbread mix here in AZ! LOL

Tom W.
03-23-2017, 03:18 PM
If you want Moxie, try Cracker Barrel. I saw several bottles there this morning.

PtMD989
03-23-2017, 03:55 PM

Kogels out of Flint MI is tasty the pickled Red Hots are great also. An added bonus is if you get it in the jars when you finish with the bologna you can pickle eggs in same brine

starmac
03-23-2017, 05:00 PM
I have to say some of you guys eat stuff I have never heard of, and others even eat stuff I wouldn't pick up with my bare hand. lol

I reckon the thing I miss not available here is fresh okra, it just ain't happening. lol
As far as eating out, it would be GOOD chicken fried steaks, we have em, we just don't have good ole Texas style chicken frys, plus for some reason here if you don't threaten them with life and limb, they will put brown gravy on what they call a chicken fry..

Love Life
03-23-2017, 05:08 PM
Washington Market pulled pork sandwiches and Brunswick Stew. Only available in Washington, GA.

LUBEDUDE
03-23-2017, 05:27 PM
There aren't many foods that I don't like. But I'm with Starmac, some of you guys eat some gross, primeval stuff! If I did eat some of that stuff I would never admit to it in public. :)

bruce drake
03-23-2017, 05:45 PM
Fiddlehead Ferns in the Springtime. I used to get large brown paper grocery sacks full of them in the springtime in Maine. Boiled with some vinegar and real butter drizzled over the top and sprinkled with salt and fresh ground pepper!!!
Officially they are called Ostrich Ferns but when you pick them in the spring before they uncurl their fronds, the shoots look like the end of a fiddle.
https://fearlesseating.net/fiddleheads/

Gator 45/70
03-23-2017, 10:36 PM
Cracklins
Crawfish
Shrimp
Crabs
Andouille sausage
Boudan
Oh Wait, I live in the middle of all this, Never mind.
lol

bedbugbilly
03-24-2017, 10:57 AM
Come on you Michiganders . . . I haven't seen Vernor's Ginger Ale mentioned yet! :-)

mtnman31
03-24-2017, 11:06 AM
I miss some of my West Coast staples - In-n-Out burgers and good, SoCal Mexican food
I also miss a few of the regional, micro-brew beers I've had over the years.

PtMD989
03-24-2017, 11:17 AM
Come on you Michiganders . . . I haven't seen Vernor's Ginger Ale mentioned yet! :-)

Oh yeah I used to fake a stomachache just to get some. I don't think it actually helped with stomachaches but it tasted good. I hear they're bringing back Strohs beer.

Sweetpea
03-24-2017, 01:18 PM

Ah, yes, but I can get that here.

Rock n rye I can find reasonable occasionally, but I can always find it for $2.50 for a glass bottle!

PtMD989
03-24-2017, 01:33 PM
Ah, yes, but I can get that here.

Rock n rye I can find reasonable occasionally, but I can always find it for $2.50 for a glass bottle!

Here in MI you can get the 24 oz plastic bottles of Faygo for $.99 plus $.10 deposit everywhere.

Tom W.
03-24-2017, 03:52 PM

I can get it at Publix. Great store with excellent employees. And lots of stuff you can't find at Walmarts​ grocery area.

Blanket
03-24-2017, 05:00 PM
I have to say some of you guys eat stuff I have never heard of, and others even eat stuff I wouldn't pick up with my bare hand. lol

I reckon the thing I miss not available here is fresh okra, it just ain't happening. lol
As far as eating out, it would be GOOD chicken fried steaks, we have em, we just don't have good ole Texas style chicken frys, plus for some reason here if you don't threaten them with life and limb, they will put brown gravy on what they call a chicken fry.. Your right, those boiled peanuts are nasty

jonp
03-24-2017, 06:49 PM

Mormon Lake Steak House used to be pretty good in AZ. Kinda out in the sticks, though

jonp
03-24-2017, 06:51 PM
My wife is a "yooper" and I was a "troll" - for those that aren't Michigander's, a yooper is from the U.P. and a troll lives underneath the bridge - we're also called berry pickers and fudgies -

Anyway - I fondly remember the "pasties" - especially the homemade ones that my mother in law used to make. Out here in AZ you just don't see 'em. BUT . . . believe it or not . . . on our way out the the Desert Museum the other day, we actually saw a sign advertising pasties . . . we didn't pursue it but I imagine that it was probably a transplanted yooper that was making and selling them. In lower Michigan we used to be able to buy "Madelines Pasties" (sp?) in the grocery story and maybe you still can . . . good but not like the good old homemade version.

I remember having some in Manistique or Escanaba when I used to go through there every week

cattleskinner
03-25-2017, 12:09 AM
A good pasty is something to behold, but a big part of it is the crust. I married a yooper and we are heading up there mid April, so I can get my fix then. I always liked how you can get whole smoked fish in Elmer's in Escanaba, white fish, chubs, salmon they are all good. I miss fried alligator from down in Louisiana. Ballreich chips are in Tiffin which is about 20 minutes from where I am living.

woodbutcher
03-25-2017, 03:03 PM
:D Vernors Ginger Ale is on the shelves here in Tn.
Leo

horsesoldier
03-25-2017, 05:54 PM
Good chicken teriyaki is what I miss

JWFilips
03-25-2017, 07:21 PM
OK What ever happened to "Pluck" When I was a kid my Mom made Pluck soup about once a week! I don't even know what it is now-days All I know is I really enjoyed it!!!!

PS Paul
03-26-2017, 05:36 PM
As a kid in Scotland, we'd have black pudding every Sunday at breakfast. Essentially pigs blood, small bits, herbs &spicrs in a natural casing, these were served in slices that sort of crumbled apart when you ate them.
As a teen in WA State, we'd smuggle them back from BC on each annual trip since the real thing is generally not found in the States.
man, those and a good mincemeat pie- super-tough to find.

JWFilips
03-26-2017, 06:04 PM
I miss Haggis!

Tom W.
03-27-2017, 10:31 AM
Boiled peanuts are great, but Faygo stays on the shelf. Kinda in the same class as R C cola.

Bloodman14
03-27-2017, 02:39 PM
John Morrel's Pickled Polish Sausage. Could get it by the case in Az. and So-Cal, but nowhere to be found in Missouri.

kingstrider
03-27-2017, 05:55 PM
I grew up in central Kentucky and the two things I miss are Mingua Bros jerkey and Ale-8-1. Every time my parents come to visit they bring a bunch of both.

PerpetualStudent
03-27-2017, 06:43 PM
Vernors is ok, but I love Goya's Jamaican style Ginger Beer. That has a bite to it :twisted: used to be on the label that they put capsicum (pepper) into it. I still cough on that first sip, but I'll drink a 2 liter by myself in a couple of days. I have to haul all the way out to Madison to find it.

I also love Goya's coconut soda, but that one only in the glass bottles. The plastic 2 liters taste different to me.

jim147
03-27-2017, 06:51 PM
I left one off but I think they closed up. I used to live by perry lake, northwest of Lawrence, there was a little butcher shop in meridian, ks that made the best jerky I ever had. Wish I had that recipe.

308Jeff
03-27-2017, 07:03 PM
I grew up in central Kentucky and the two things I miss are Mingua Bros jerkey and Ale-8-1. Every time my parents come to visit they bring a bunch of both.

I also grew up in Central KY. Mingua Jerky is the bomb! It's very simple ingredients, but I've never quite been able to duplicate it.

johnson1942
03-27-2017, 07:36 PM
cant live without it and made it my self last night. lemon pudding, home made. and is it good.

TheGrimReaper
03-28-2017, 12:19 PM
I wish we had Lonestar beer and Del-Taco here in TN.

woodbutcher
03-28-2017, 02:33 PM
:D One that I miss here is Popeye`s(R) chicken.Altho,from what I have read,Hardees/Carl Jrs is looking to buy them out.If so,maybe that brand will be in the above mentioned restaurants.The closest for Popeye`s is a 100 mile round trip.
Leo

Scorpion8
03-28-2017, 02:59 PM
Got hooked on a few foods while living there that I just can't get here ...

I grew up and always lived on the East Coast, basically. Now in the green paradise of Alaska, you cannot get (or rarely get) Lebanon Bologna, TastyKake Butterscotch Krimpets, a plentiful supply of Scrapple, and Utz-branded snack foods. Those items were all staples when I grew up. Absolute power-food-of-the-gods. Now I'm like Samson with his hair cut, just a mortal man....

308Jeff
03-28-2017, 03:42 PM
:D One that I miss here is Popeye`s(R) chicken.Altho,from what I have read,Hardees/Carl Jrs is looking to buy them out.If so,maybe that brand will be in the above mentioned restaurants.The closest for Popeye`s is a 100 mile round trip.
Leo

I'm very lucky to have a Popeye's about 3 miles from my house. Only bummers are they discontinued their Jambalaya, and you can only get the strawberry cheesecake fried pies on occasion.

abunaitoo
03-28-2017, 04:36 PM
Two things I can't find here anymore.
1) Chefs Blend chili. IMHO, best can chili on the market.
2) From my youth, Chip Steak. Really thin cut steak, with a special paper, you cook in a pan.
I've tried other brands I could find. Nothing comes close to it.
I also miss Churches and Pioneer chicken and Godfather Pizza.

762 shooter
03-28-2017, 05:23 PM
If I didn't live here I would miss:

Dukes Mayonnaise, Boiled peanuts, Fresh sweet corn, fried catfish, fresh okra, Garden tomatoes, Fresh shrimp, fresh oysters, jerusalem artichoke relish, Blenheim Ginger Ale, and Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

I miss boudin.

clum553946
03-28-2017, 05:45 PM
Legal lead bullets

308Jeff
03-28-2017, 05:58 PM
If I didn't live here I would miss:

Dukes Mayonnaise, Boiled peanuts, Fresh sweet corn, fried catfish, fresh okra, Garden tomatoes, Fresh shrimp, fresh oysters, jerusalem artichoke relish, Blenheim Ginger Ale, and Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

I miss boudin.

You just made my mouf water. 192046

tallwalker
03-28-2017, 06:59 PM
Especially this time of year I get a craving flung on me for BBQ from a place called Parkers in N. Carolina. Sweet tea, cole slaw, brunswick stew, pulled pork and homeade buns. A pilot friend and I have been known to have it so bad for that stuff we have flown low under the radar in his Porsche nonstop there and back to New Orleans just to get an icebox full to bring home. Just can't be duplicated no matter how hard we have tried.

10 ga
03-31-2017, 10:06 AM
I miss the real beer I got when growing up. In the early to late 1960s there was local made real beer. I miss the National Bohemian and Richbrow that was here in Va. And from my time on the left coast I miss the Oly and Hamms. I'm sure there are stuff with the same labels but it aint the same beer. 10

PS, and moonshine for $.65 a pint, and it was good, not like the imitation stuff in the package stores now.

NoAngel
03-31-2017, 10:39 AM
Anything my grandma cooked.

Somewhere angels are getting fat.

jonp
03-31-2017, 10:51 AM
Especially this time of year I get a craving flung on me for BBQ from a place called Parkers in N. Carolina. Sweet tea, cole slaw, brunswick stew, pulled pork and homeade buns. A pilot friend and I have been known to have it so bad for that stuff we have flown low under the radar in his Porsche nonstop there and back to New Orleans just to get an icebox full to bring home. Just can't be duplicated no matter how hard we have tried.
i go by Parkers everyday. Great stuff and always packed

bubba.50
03-31-2017, 11:38 AM
Red Lobster is okay I guess but, would be nice if we had a real seafood restaurant in this area.

bubba.50
03-31-2017, 11:51 AM
Anything my grandma cooked.

Somewhere angels are getting fat.

I hear you & totally agree. I'd give everything I own for a loaf of my granny's salt-risen bread & a pound of her good country butter made with the cream she kept in a big jar on the back porch for about a week before she churned it. sweet-cream butter can't hold a light to it.

NoAngel
03-31-2017, 11:59 AM
I hear you & totally agree. I'd give everything I own for a loaf of my granny's salt-risen bread & a pound of her good country butter made with the cream she kept in a big jar on the back porch for about a week before she churned it. sweet-cream butter can't hold a light to it.

Man that sounds good! I'm a homemade bread *****!

PtMD989
03-31-2017, 12:17 PM
Same here on the bread. Had a roommate, his mom used to make the best bread. She had to make a dozen loaves at a time cause it wouldn't turn out right if she tried to reduce the recipe. She quit making it after her husband died because the reason she made it was he loved it so much.

sundog
03-31-2017, 12:31 PM
White River Fish Company on North Sheridan (west side of the airport) in Tulsa, with a new location in Broken Arrow.

Nelson's Buffeteria on South Memorial.

Coney Islander (I like the one downtown and the one @ 21st & Garnett).

Oklahoma Joe's BBQ in Broken Arrow next to Bass Pro.

bubba.50
03-31-2017, 12:34 PM
when granny made the salt-risen bread it was an all day event. she had a small broom closet fitted with shelves all the way to the top. she'd wrap all the loaves with unbleached muslin material & stack it in that closet. when a loaf was needed she'd get one out, sprinkle a little water on the cloth with the pop-bottle sprinkler he used when she ironed clothes, warm it in the oven enough to melt butter & it was good as the day it was made.

if you can't tell, I'm a bit of a bread ***** myself.

smokeywolf
03-31-2017, 12:42 PM
Two things I miss that are hard to come by in SoCal; hog jowl and my 2nd amendment rights.