PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
03-18-2017, 07:26 AM
How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?—Romans 10:14 (http://harvest.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4f108f827aed8d503b5fca9fa&id=29afc4dd97&e=3dd732485b)I remember when we were in New York for a Harvest Crusade, and one of the members of our group was leading a lot of people to faith. Her energy and commitment knew no boundaries. She left everyone else in her dust as she was leading people to faith left and right. Unquestionably in my mind, she has the gift of an evangelist.

In Romans 10, Paul gives us the very technique God has established to communicate our faith: “How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?” (verse 14).

From the original language we could translate this verse, “How shall they hear without one preaching?” The J. B. Phillips New Testament puts it this way: “How can they hear unless someone proclaims him?” Therefore, the emphasis is not on a preacher but on preaching.

We might think the work of evangelism is only for those who are called to be evangelists. Granted, there are those in the church whom God has raised up to be evangelists. And though it is true some are called to be evangelists, it is also true that every Christian is called to evangelism—to evangelize. It’s a mystery to me that God has chosen to communicate His message through preaching, through the proclamation of His Word.

I can tell you that next to knowing that my sin is forgiven, the privilege of personally leading someone to faith is one of the greatest joys I have known. Have you ever done that? Maybe you think God could never use you. I think He could. And I think He would, if you would say, like Isaiah, “Here am I! Send me

square butte
03-18-2017, 08:34 AM
Thank you for the morning study rl69 - Sometimes it's just a well placed word or two

GhostHawk
03-18-2017, 08:49 AM
I'll be honest, this is where the butterflys in my stomach stomp in and make themselves known.

Just really uncomfortable with doing that.

On the one hand I know the Lord wants me to, and I want to please him.

On the other hand is every Mormon, 7th Day Adventist, insert your least favorite church here that knocks on your door and wants to convert you.

Nuhuh, just not comfortable with that. Don't want to change no body.

Glad to share my experiences, no shame too great, no embarrassment will stop me.

But I don't want to be one of "Them". Nope, aina never gonna happen.

I think it comes down to an honesty thing. TV Evangelists are "selling" God, and raking in the cash. Because he is free. Why pay for him? Don't want to be in that crowd.

The missionary's are also selling God, and trying to build up their church's. Usually IMO its the ones with flaws in them that do this the most. The ones that can not hold the people long term.
They need a steady influx of new people to give to keep the lights on. Don't want to be with them either.

Then you have a very very small minority. The really good gifted by God preachers. I believe they are doing his work. But I am not one of them.

So who is left?

If you want help, I am here. Call on me. If nothing else I can listen. I can do that well.
If you want preaching, try Billy Graham.

If you want to see, hear, feel faith? Try Tennessee Ernie Ford singing Gospel.

USMC87
03-18-2017, 09:04 AM
It is our calling " every one of us" to proclaim Christ without prejudice to all we can, I want to be the first to admit how I fail every day. But when I am not at my game God always is. Amen and thanks for a great lesson.

square butte
03-18-2017, 10:19 AM
Start where you are able to . . .