PDA

View Full Version : Henry .45-70

richhodg66
03-17-2017, 10:09 PM
I looked at one they had in stock at the Fort Riley PX today and was pretty impressed. This one had a nice pistol grip walnut stock with good checkering.

The internals looked like a Marlin, but I'm sure there are some differences due to the tube feed verses loading gate. Are these as strong as the Marlins? I have to admit to liking it better than most of the Marlins I've seen lately and at least it doesn't have that awful push button safety on it.

FergusonTO35
03-17-2017, 10:23 PM
The Henry's tend to be rather overbuilt for the cartridge, they seem to take the Ruger approach and apply it to a traditional lever action. I see no reason it couldn't take the same loads as a Marlin.

richhodg66
03-17-2017, 11:06 PM
It was priced at $725, which from the PX means no tax, so that's that. Seemed reasonable for what it is. I liked it.

Been messing with the .45-70 a bit the past few years, nothing exceeding trapdoor levels. I have quite a few bullets and brass and several molds. A rifle I could do a bit more with than a Handi Rifle might be fun.

Ramjet-SS
03-17-2017, 11:39 PM
They awesome rifles made in the USA and IMHO are much better than the Marlins of today.

I would much rather take any of my Henry's over the "semi custom" gaudy Reeder custom I have. Henry's are much better and a far better value than the so called custom Reeder/Marlin I own.

buckshotshoey
03-18-2017, 05:12 AM
I don't regret buying my Henry. I actually prefer the tube fed design in a hunting rifle. Much easier and safer to unload when getting into a vehicle. I can very easily run an oiled swab through the mag tube. How easy is that with all the others?

Ickisrulz
03-18-2017, 11:36 AM
I like the Henry CCH with an octagon barrel. It's a little heavier, but the looks make up for it.

buckshotshoey
03-18-2017, 11:59 AM
I like the Henry CCH with an octagon barrel. It's a little heavier, but the looks make up for it.

I almost held out for the case color hardened! What a beautiful firearm! But the 18" round serves me very well in the woods.

FergusonTO35
03-18-2017, 11:59 AM
Henry customer service is excellent. Chances are if you send an e-mail to the company the owner himself will answer. You NEVER see used Henry rifles for sale around here, you are far more likely to encounter a reasonably priced Colt snake gun for sale. No exaggeration, literal truth.

pietro
03-18-2017, 12:57 PM

I wouldn't load the Henry .45-70 Brassie as strong as I would the all-steel .45-70.

Smoke4320
03-18-2017, 01:24 PM
Henry has awesome customer service
I have had 2 experiences with them both were the best customer experiences I have ever had with a Gun company ( RCBS is awesome as well for reloading)
without going in many details purchased a 45 colt brass carbine in about 30 rds I had taken the gun apart twice to get a loaded cartridge from UNDER the lifter.. A email to customer service was answered that day. A UPS Call tag was received that day and 7 days later I had my gun back with a new bolt installed .. 7 days total now lets look at that 2 days up a weekend and 2 days back .. that means 1 DAY shop time... can you say AWESOME

Now even better my shooting bench is poured concrete pad, support and top
bought the nice 45-70 brass wildlife edition (beautiful wood grain almost tiger striped) first day took it out and shot 5 rds to sight in
Son says can I shoot it
sure
he proceeds to knock off my brand new gun to hit the concrete table top
dings up the top of the stock pretty bad

again I email Henry .. explain my issue... tell them its all our fault and what is the cost for a replacement rear stock
2 hrs later (on a Sunday) I get an answer back from Anthony (the OWNER) send my name, address to a fellow in customer service and they will send me a new stock set GET THIS NO CHARGE and sure enough 5 days later I have a brand new stock set FRONT and BACK

am I a Henry Customer you bet

PS Both guns shoot great very accurate

jmort
03-18-2017, 01:58 PM
The brass alloy is way strong
Steel strong
Design is far more of a consideration

OverMax
03-18-2017, 07:57 PM
When Winchester and Marlin installed Button block safety's on their lever guns. That killed any intention I had in buying new from either company. Well gents as we all know Winchester today is no longer a real American Winchester. Marlin requires a lifetime of use to get them to loosen up a tad and Henry is slick operating and accurate right out box. So.

"Hel~~lo Henry"

buckshotshoey
03-19-2017, 07:16 AM
The brass alloy is way strong
Steel strong
Design is far more of a consideration

Yep! It not the same brass alloy used to make the wife's candlestick holders! Lol.

buckshotshoey
03-19-2017, 07:22 AM
When Winchester and Marlin installed Button block safety's on their lever guns. That killed any intention I had in buying new from either company. Well gents as we all know Winchester today is no longer a real American Winchester. Marlin requires a lifetime of use to get them to loosen up a tad and Henry is slick operating and accurate right out box. So.

"Hel~~lo Henry"

Yes. I liked the fact they went with a transfer bar safety (similar in operation to the Ruger Redhawk revolver I had). Really.....how often do you walk around, or even sit in a deer stand, with the hammer locked back? If it were hammerles.... i.e. a striker fired rifle of sorts, then I could see the need for a thumb or button safety.

BigAl52
03-19-2017, 11:27 AM
I have the CCH version of the Henry and love it. Took it hunting last fall. Like it so well I am going to buy the all weather version also. They are fun to shoot and Henrys customer service is second to no one. Al