PDA

View Full Version : North

bensonwe
03-17-2017, 07:37 AM
I would like a little feedback please. I'm considering moving to northwestern Wisconsin, around the superior,duluth area and wondering what the pros and cons are. I'm looking at purchasing a small bit of land to live on. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Lloyd Smale
03-17-2017, 08:30 AM
Only downside is your going to have to deal with more snow and longer winters. Ive never lived there but northern Wisconson is very much like the UP of Michigan where I live. Good hard working people and the weather keeps most of the yuppys and tree huggers away.

54bore
03-17-2017, 08:33 AM
Only downside is your going to have to deal with more snow and longer winters. Ive never lived there but northern Wisconson is very much like the UP of Michigan where I live. Good hard working people and the weather keeps most of the yuppys and tree huggers away.

Sounds sorta like North Idaho, we welcome ROUGH winters, helps to run the prune prickers off (Californians)

runfiverun
03-17-2017, 11:07 AM
I was gonna say I hope you like cold weather, but they beat me to it.
the Russian emigrants complained about the cold up in that part of the world.

.455 Webley
03-17-2017, 11:37 AM
Happy to toss my had in the ring as a local contact. Been living in the Superior area since i moved here for college over a decade ago now. Any questions you have just feel free to PM me.

johnson1942
03-17-2017, 11:42 AM
winter is there but spring does come. duluth is a beautiful area. want to tell you about fishing around duluth. went to the maritime museum there a couple of years ago. on the back side of it is a beautiful walkway with a chest high stone or cement wall so you dont fall into the rivers mouth there. the lake meets the river there. a guy was fishing there and he had one that he had just caught. a 30 pound northern pike. he was disabled and he said he fished every day and caught one of these about every day and he fed a lot of his disabled friends. the springs are short there. where i live in western ne. the springs are very very long. duluth summers arrive about the same time as the summers do here. so growing things up there is no different than growing things here. they grow nice roses in duluth. good fishing, good hunting and you never ever have to worry about a lack of water. the blueberries, strawberries and raspberries really grow good up there. lakes are clean and clear also plenty of bear to hunt. biggest whitetail deer ive ever seen up there. go, you will love it.

JBinMN
03-17-2017, 01:14 PM
I have always wanted to move more North & into Wisc.. G'luck if ya go!
:)

GOPHER SLAYER
03-17-2017, 01:40 PM
When we lived in Whittier, California we had friends who without asking anyone for advice, sold their home and bought a dairy farm in Wisconsin. After one winter he was back in Sunny California. He told me one horror story after another about the cold. He said he had to tie a rope from the house to the barn so he could feel his way in a blinding blizzard. This was a man who was born and spent the first ten years of his life in Illinois. I am one Californian that you don't have to worry about moving to your particular ice box. It is supposed to be 87% here today.

starmac
03-17-2017, 02:49 PM
Gopher Slayer, That works both ways.
I have known several here that was raised down south, so sold out when they retired and went back south, only to be back after one summer.
I had a friend (gone now) that was in his 80's when he closed his business in the Yukon and went back to where he was born and raised. He had property in Florida, but had lived in the Yukon since the early 60's, in 6 months he was back and bought a house in town to live out his remaining years.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-17-2017, 03:14 PM
Lloyd,
The weather keeping "yuppys and tree huggers" out, is a misnomer. I need to let you all know, that Duluth is as much of a Liberal Mecca as San Francisco. This is less the case, once you get outside of Duluth's city limits. I can't speak much about northern WI, except that it's beautiful up there. I've camped just outside of Superior, WI many times. I love that Lake.

Lloyd Smale
03-17-2017, 03:36 PM
you do need to get away from the citys.
Lloyd,
The weather keeping "yuppys and tree huggers" out, is a misnomer. I need to let you all know, that Duluth is as much of a Liberal Mecca as San Francisco. This is less the case, once you get outside of Duluth's city limits. I can't speak much about northern WI, except that it's beautiful up there. I've camped just outside of Superior, WI many times. I love that Lake.

Lloyd Smale
03-17-2017, 03:46 PM
Up here we don't have anything poisonous bitting us, hippys on the street corners smoking pot, Liberals gun laws like CA. We don't have cartel people growing pot I our back yards. yes we get a liberal or two that sneek in from down state and even down south but the weak minded ones don't last and after 10 years or so most of them see the light. Ive got nothing personal against california. I kind of think of it like I think of Gays. As long as I don't have to deal with them they can act anyway they want. I do know that not everyone in California is a bleeding heart liberal and theres good people there too but the percentages seem lower then other places. Lots more of them where it doesn't take a little fortitude to live and I like it just fine like that. Bottom line is they make clothes for the cold. There is no cure for liberal!
When we lived in Whittier, California we had friends who without asking anyone for advice, sold their home and bought a dairy farm in Wisconsin. After one winter he was back in Sunny California. I told me one horror story after another about the cold. He said he had to tie a rope from the house to the barn so he could feel his way in a blinding blizzard. This was a man who was born and spent the first ten years of his life in Illinois. I am one Californian that you don't have to worry about moving to your particular ice box. It is supposed to be 87% here today.

dverna
03-17-2017, 03:46 PM
I live in Northern Michigan so a bit more temperate than your location. You will need a snowplow or have someone plow you out. I have two generators. Stock up on supplies as that allows you to hunker down and help neighbors. Lent my spare generator to a neighbor and now have a friend for life.

Rural people can be a mixed bag. Lots of alcoholics....most have a heart of gold..but some people to be wary of too.

It can be hard of women if they do not make friends with the locals or, as in one case, the wife loves malls and shopping. One couple who owned my place before I got it lasted less than a year.

Been here for just over 4 years and not one regret.

GOPHER SLAYER
03-17-2017, 04:30 PM
Of course they make clothes to keep you warm but you have to live in them 24-7 and when you get them on you can't move your arms and you still have to breathe that cold. You are not talking to someone who doesn't know cold. I was born and raised in Southeast Missouri. While it doesn't get much snow or really low temperatures the humidity is so high it seems like it is much colder than it is. I just don't like cold or heat. I have no intention of moving to Arizona either. In the summer you have to drive wearing cooking mittens. I just don't like those kind of extremes.

bubba.50
03-17-2017, 04:30 PM
I hear ya can get some good cheese there.

chambers
03-17-2017, 04:55 PM
Wisconsin weather is nothing to be afraid of if you plan and know how to deal with. The outdoors offer so much to do for all seasons. Yes you must like snow!

.455 Webley
03-17-2017, 05:11 PM
We got 2 inches of perfect snowman snow here in Superior just this morning. So many Hippies in Duluth they are trying to outlaw plastic bags, become a sanctuary city, and support the DAPL protesters.

Poygan
03-17-2017, 05:41 PM
bubba.50, We also have some good brats and great beer.

starmac
03-17-2017, 06:39 PM
In Bubbas part of the country, they have shine, no need or use for beer. lol

I just wish harsh weather kept the libs away, we have as cold of weather as anywhere else in this country, yet still have our share of libs. lol

Climate is what one likes, even without the people, I would rather have our climate than Southern Calis, and yes I tried it for a short while.

GOPHER SLAYER
03-17-2017, 08:06 PM
I say a man should live where he wants. To each his own. If you are happy, I am happy.

xs11jack
03-17-2017, 08:10 PM
I grew up near Hudson, Wi. and spent my first 35 years there. Bubba's mention of cheese brought back memories of going to the local creamery and buy cheese that was the best in the world. You went with the worker right to the storage room and he would ask what kind you wanted and how oid. He would bring a big chunk and cut off about a quarter of a pound just to sample. He then whacked off a little bit more that you asked for and sent you out the door with the biggest smile on your face. So look for a local creamery if there are any left for the best cheese in the world. Like Lloyd says stay away from the bigger cities, they are liberal bastions of idiots, and I don't think Superior is doing all that well financially either. Oh, and don't believe the stories about those Lake Superior area Miskito's, two of them can not haul away a Holstein cow, it takes three!
Ole Jack

MaryB
03-17-2017, 10:08 PM
Lake effect snow, cold winds off the lake(water is like 50 degrees in the center year round). Not much of a growing season for a garden except for cold weather plants.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-17-2017, 10:22 PM
Lake effect snow, cold winds off the lake(water is like 50 degrees in the center year round). Not much of a growing season for a garden except for cold weather plants.
I remember the first time I seen Lake Superior in the wintertime. It was February 1986, I was 20 yrs old and at that time, I didn't know that Lake usually didn't freeze up as I had never been up in that part of the State in the winter, even though I spend all my life in MN. I was on my first adult vacation, going downhill skiing at Lutsen, 90 miles up the north shore from Duluth. That Drive up the northshore, where I get glimpses of the waves crashing onto the icy rocky shoreline, I was so amazed the lake wasn't froze over, I could hardly look away to keep my eyes on the road.

Great Skiing that weekend. I spent 3 days in Lutsen. It was very memorable. It was during a cold spell. -5º on the first day, -20º on the second day, and -30º on the third day...those temperatures were daytime highs. I was able to make two runs, and my scarf that I had wrapped around my face, was full of ice, and I'd have to go into a lodge, to thaw out. Short lines to the chairlifts all weekend. I can't even imagine doing that, in those temperatures now-a-days(at my age).

bubba.50
03-17-2017, 10:32 PM
bubba.50, We also have some good brats and great beer.

along with the cheese that pretty well covers the three major food groups. and I've downed my share of all three.[smilie=w:

bubba.50
03-17-2017, 10:34 PM
they also have an AWESOME football team that's goin' to the Superbowl this year. you heard it here first. take that to the bank.

facetious
03-18-2017, 01:58 AM
I hear ya can get some good cheese there.

And thy will cut it for you too!:drinks:

Lloyd Smale
03-18-2017, 06:55 AM
little bit of rivalry between northern WI and northern MI. A good many northern MI people are even packer fans:groner: But ill say this. If you like a beer once in a while and I'm not talking one of those yuppy imports or some designer brew pub **** then its hard to not like WI! Beer, Brats and cheese curds. Those are all the major food groups!!