PDA

View Full Version : 12,7x44R Swedish Rolling Block m/1867

Dutchman
07-08-2008, 04:34 AM
These questions are from a newbie in this forum, Paul T., who calls himself a Dutchman simply because he lives in the land of the Dutch. And because of that he's like a 1st cousin...:) We are also the same age of 56. He sent the questions in email but I thought there may be interest in the subject in this forum.

reference:
http://www.rebooty.com/~dutchman/12744r.html
http://www.rebooty.com/~dutchman/6774.html
http://www.rebooty.com/~dutchman/1885carbine.html
http://www.rebooty.com/~dutchman/1867sporter.html

Pay close attention to this page:
http://www.rebooty.com/~dutchman/RBfailure.html

I ordered a Lee bullet sizer/lube kit in .510

Generally, .512" is what I've found when the grooves are measured with the inside knife edge of dial calipers. Not all rifles are going to be the same but we've found some a little more into .514". The U.S. cartridge of the 1868 period was the .50-70 Government. The bullet was .515" with 70 grains of Ffg powder and a 450 grain bullet. The 12,7x44R is a smaller version, narrower in the cartridge head, a little shorter in length and the original bullet was 345 grains with 75 grains of black powder. In the U.S. we would refer to such a cartridge as this:

.50-70-450
.50-75-345

If you have access to a lathe you can polish out the interior of the Lee sizer die with 320 grit - 400 grit - 600 grit then crocus cloth lubricated with a watery petro like WD40 if you have that in Holland. Kerosine or diesel would also work but with fine grits of emery cloth you need a thin lubricant, not a viscous oil.

I'm not saying .510" won't work.. it will certainly but you may find .512" may prove to be more accurate. The 12,7x44R is a very capable cartridge moreso for accuracy than power. Its not a hugely powerful cartridge overall. Your bullets should be softer rather than harder. An alloy of 30 parts lead and 1 part tin or 30:1 ratio is about right for black powder bullets. The bullets must obturate (expand) in the bore and harder alloys make that impossible.

I notices, there must not be any empty room being left inside the loaded cartridge between the bullet and the black powder, thus this has to be filled with a wad or card shims. What is the size of the internal diameter of the cases when sized?

Yes, no air space in a black powder cartridge between the powder and bullet. This is very important for safety.

A 1/2" diameter cardboard wad card like a waxed milk carton will do just fine. It needs only to fit in the inside of the cartridge case. So a perfect 12,7mm is perfectly fine.

However, you will have NO air space:roll:. Using a 450 grain bullet or even a 350 grain bullet with 65 grains or more, even 60 grains, will leave no room for the bullet. The powder must be compressed with a special brass or aluminum plug called a compression die to push the powder down into the case, compressing the powder into a hard nearly solid plug of powder. Very nearly like Pyrodex pellets only they will not come out of the cartridge case easily. The card wad is then inserted into the case and the bullet is seated onto the card wad. Even using a compression die you may still have to seat the bullet down with some force to compress the powder further in order to seat the bullet adequate enough to fully chamber in the rifle. There is no caming force in chambering of a rolling block so the cartridge must chamber easily with your fingers.

I ordered some .50 Alaskan cases to convert them. you mentioned those on your site as quite promising, but also that they require inside reaming.

I need to update that information. Some rifles will accept a .50 Alaskan case cut and trimmed to the correct length without any further effort. Some rifles. Not all of them. Of the rifles I had the only one that would accept the .50 Alaskan case was the 1885 artillery carbine.

If your rifle does not accept the .50 Alaskan cut off and trimmed to 1.730" (or there abouts) there is another remedy but you may not want to do it. That is to polish out the chamber slightly in order to accept the .50 Alaskan case. On a collectable rifle this may not be a good idea. But on a cut down sporter there's little to loose by doing this. If you intend on keeping this rifle forever.... then you might think about having a gunsmith do this minor polishing after you supply him with a couple dummy cases with a bullet seated but no powder or primer.

Again, you may find your rifle will accept the .50 Alaskan case. Or it may not. I've used .348 Winchester cases exclusively once I found most of my rifles would not take the .50 Alaskan. I was not happy about that as I had purchased 150 of the Starline .50 Alaskan cases in a group buy but they were still expensive.

How do you do this and to which size one has to ream?
I do have a Sinclair neck reamer for outside turning necks, and was wondering or, if I reamed the outside to the wanted wall thickness for 10 or 15 mm and after this,annealed and fire formed the cases I would have the same effect?

I can't really answer this as I've not had to do it. I have my own feelings about trimming the neck area of a straight case like you say in order to achive full chambering. Upon firing the "step" that is created where the turned case meets the unturned case has no support against the chamber wall. This could create a stress crack. This is just my feeling on this particular practice. If this proves to be nessessary then the inside reaming to reduce case wall thickness may be the best approach. However I've not done this practice so you'll have to do some experimenting of your own. I would start at reducing the inside diameter no more than .004" to begin with.

Prior to about 2000 in the U.S. there were few of these Swedish rolling block rifles coming into the U.S. We had no information about them. It was not such a big mystery to figure out and we got some help from Per Kindbloom in Stockholm who is a well known dealer and blackpowder shooter in Sweden. His English was not so good but we managed to communicate well enough. Thus we began learning as more of these rifles came into the U.S. and they are still coming in dwindling numbers now in 2008.

There are some basic discoveries found in loading other blackpowder cartridges that will help with the 12,7x44R. One such book indirectly related by an outstanding piece of work is "Loading Cartridges for the Original .45-70 Springfield Rifle and Carbine" by J.S. and Pat Wolf. The husband now deceased with the wife carrying on with the publishing and marketing of this book. It is simply the best book of its type on experimenting with loading protocal for a straight wall blackpowder cartridge. The use of magnum primers with black powder is one factor. Another is enlarging the primer flash hole to .096". This is just an example of what may be gleaned from such a book even though it does not relate directly to the 12,7x44R cartridge.

I have in my cartridge collection one single original rimfire 12,17x42R rolling block cartridge. In the U.S. it is extremely rare. In Sweden it is also very rare. I got lucky having a good contact in Sweden for a number of years to aquire this single sample. Having it allows me to measure directly an original cartridge intended for this specific rifle.

If anyone has corrections or additions to share pertaining to this cartridge or rifle please feel free to add them in this thread.

Dutch
www.rebooty.com/~dutchman
Swedish Mausers

Dutchman
07-08-2008, 05:00 AM
This is a m/1867 Swedish rolling block barrel caliber 12,7x44R. The 12,7x44R is actually the civilian nominclature for the centerfire post-military use of the rifle by civilians. The in-service rifle was called 12,17x42R rimfire. There was no military use of centerfire cartridges.

I just did this scanned image and it shows the rifling form far better than the naked eye. It appears as conventional
6 groove rifling.

Measured groove diameter is: .513" .513" .512". That's darn uniform for the day.

If you have a sharp eye you'll also notice that the barrel walls are not even.
At each groove the barrel wall thickness measures: .128" - .140" - .138" - .130" - .133" - .137".

http://images109.fotki.com/v786/photos/2/28344/1676633/12744R1-vi.jpg

blysmelter
07-08-2008, 08:45 AM
The military did call the rimfire version of this carteridge "12m Remington", very early it was called "4 linjer" (linje is an old norwegian/swedish measure of length).

The Lee 515-boolits needs no sizing, all 12mm RB I have shoot shoots OK wiyh the as-cast-boolit.
Cases cam be formed from 348Win, cut to length and fire-form.

Pictures is always nice, so here is a picture of my current favorit 12mm RB:-)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/thenorwegianengineer/fres023.jpg

Buckshot
07-12-2008, 02:45 AM
..............I've looked at those several times and thought about getting one since I don't have anything to keep me busy :-). Really though most of them seem to be in darn good shape.

...............Buckshot

Dutchman
07-12-2008, 03:38 AM
The military did call the rimfire version of this carteridge "12m Remington", very early it was called "4 linjer" (linje is an old norwegian/swedis

Remingtongevär

Mosin-Nagant = 3 line rifle

Dutch

Jon K
07-12-2008, 03:39 AM
Nice looking.........clean lines.........are they available?

Jon

blysmelter
07-13-2008, 01:45 PM
They should be plentyfull in the US, swedish gunlaws causes this ones to be scrapped og sold of as surplus.

If you do not like BP, take a look at the swedish 8mm rifles.

Cap'n Morgan
07-13-2008, 02:07 PM
I need to update that information. Some rifles will accept a .50 Alaskan case cut and trimmed to the correct length without any further effort. Some rifles. Not all of them. Of the rifles I had the only one that would accept the .50 Alaskan case was the 1885 artillery carbine.

Dutch,

Are you sure it is the .50 Alaskan case giving problems?
The reason I'm asking is that I have a model 1867 Swedish RB in 12.7x44. I measured the max diameter of the chamber to .5645 (14.345 mm) and according to ammoguide.com the .50 Alaskan is only a mere .548" (13.92 mm).

50-70 Goverment cases, however, are .565 (14.35 mm) which is almost exactly the same as my chamber.

Some dofus has already tinkered with the gun, and I wouldn't mind reaming the chamber slightly to accept the 50-70 case, especially as I understand the original heeled bullet design leaves little room for a more classic bullet type?

Surprisingly, the rolling block has not been altered to centerfire, so I may have to mill a new block if I can't find a spare.

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/659/swedefiftywe6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Boz330
07-13-2008, 03:41 PM
Nice looking.........clean lines.........are they available?

Jon

They were for awhile but the supply seems to have dried up. I was on a list from an importer and the last time he got some of the sporters in they were completely sold out the next day. I sent in my order on the 3rd day and the guy called me to say he was out. I asked if he had any of the 8mmX58Rs left and he said that he had 1 that the tang had been welded on but it was safe to shoot. Since it was welded he knocked $50 off the price and I took it. They haven't had any since, and this was in 05.
Originally I was going to rebarrel it but after shooting the thing I hate to do it because it shoots just a little over 2 MOA with cast and is a ball to shoot.

Bob

Dutchman
07-14-2008, 02:48 AM
Are you sure it is the .50 Alaskan case giving problems?

Yep, very sure. But its not a problem with *all* rifles.

Its also not the head diameter that's the problem.
Its the case mouth diameter that's too large.

especially as I understand the original heeled bullet design leaves little room for a more classic bullet type?

Incorrectomundo. The original bullet is not of heeled design.
Its a fairly conventional bullet. I have a drawing of it around
here somewhere. I'll look for it.

I have *one* single loaded Swedish military rimfire 12,17x42R cartridge. They are extremely rare in the U.S. I also have a modest cartridge collection that includes a loaded original .50-70 Gov't cartridge. I like to collect original period cartridges as they provide unquestionable dimensional accuracy in discussions like this [smilie=1:

Surprisingly, the rolling block has not been altered to centerfire, so I may have to mill a new block if I can't find a spare.

I'd suggest you just alter the matching breechblock in your rifle as you'll never
have need for the rimfire firing pin again. Your breechblock fits your rifle, was
most likely somewhat hand fitted to your rifle. I'd keep it.

Your rifle is a nice looking example. I've whittled my too-many rolling block
collection down to two. One 8mm with a beautiful fiddleback walnut hand carved
stock and one kinda ratty looking 1867/74 cut down sporter with a tight action.

See my note on the 8x58R Danish m/1889 Swedish rolling block.

Dutch

Cap'n Morgan
07-14-2008, 01:33 PM
Dutch, Thanks for the info.

I'm tempted to settle for the 50-70 Gov. as this seems to be pretty close to the original case. Problem is to have brass sent from the US to Denmark. I already had sixty 577-450 cases confiscated in custom :(

I have *one* single loaded Swedish military rimfire 12,17x42R cartridge. They are extremely rare in the U.S. I also have a modest cartridge collection that includes a loaded original .50-70 Gov't cartridge. I like to collect original period cartridges as they provide unquestionable dimensional accuracy in discussions like this

Speaking of millitary rimfires, do you have one of these...

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/361/worldslargestrimfire003ax3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

It's a Danish Snider, .73 caliber One of these days I hope to find a rifle for it.