PDA

View Full Version : 1895G quest .

Harter66
03-16-2017, 07:01 PM
The more I research this rifle the less I think I have to work with.....
The rifle is fine in spite of it being the dreaded Remlin .
I read somewhere that Rem had carried over the 8 and 12 microgroove and the Ballardesk rifling . This one is a low SN MR so there's no date information available appearently . It is Rem proofed but has the New Haven address . I'm sure I counted 8 lands but now it seems that 7 is possible .........
The slug was fritzy to measure but I came out .451x458 .
I know that regardless of what I poke in the case ( papered or greased) it's got to be at least .460 . Which works out with the gifted 458-340 RF single and several 45 pistol bullets . With the above should I consider the bbl a standard Remington " normally" rifled barrel or a Ballard or MG ? Just for the sake of saving my own mind and knowing what is the best reference .
Foolishly I now have all of my brass decapped and neck sized , neither the Redding nor the RCBS FL dies touch the body of my fired cases.
I slugged it twice , the first time the slug dropped into the lock works and was damaged in recovery . I sized a .490 RB of dead soft to 454 then bumped it back up over 460 for the slug . I need to get the throat area diminsion ,but if I paper I can see if I get rings or not first .
It has quite a bit of copper wash in the bbl so the paper patch gets to do double duty for me with some polishing .

I'm thinking that I will start with Unique and a 265 gr RNFP of 50/50 in 2 wraps of suitable adding machine tape and Green Bar to get a feel for which way to go . The I'll step it up to a box of commercial 300 gr TC ,if they will chamber without wrecking the patch , and a 350 I had made for another project . If something clicks there along with the Lee mold then I'll step up to the plate with the H322 .

In the meantime I will entertain ideas and suggestions for 405 and under bullets and alloy selection with the idea in mind that this will be a hunting rifle first and a paper rifle second .
Game selection should be sub 300# hogs and whitetail of the 180-200# on the hoof class . I wouldn't bet on it but a mulie or elk might be on the table 1 last time, in which case I could be looking at 600# on the hoof .

I know big hole in big hole out lots of disruption in between let them fall in the road .

runfiverun
03-17-2017, 12:45 AM
I'd just follow the standard microgroove protocol.
big-bigger and slightly harder.
a .460 diameter 405gr rnfp with a gas check should cover anything needing covered and feed well.

300grs of paper wrapped 45 colt boolit poked in an unsized case mouth should cover the range duties.

the 340gr mold you have is versatile enough to make a fine all around 15-1600 fps load.

stop worrying about what might happen and put some stuff together and give it a try.

buckshotshoey
03-17-2017, 07:05 AM
I have an RCBS 325- .358. Have had very good results. It is a plain base, flat point bullet. And it will be more then adequate for any Ohio whitetail. It throws .458 to .4585. So it might not work for you. My Henry bore is .slugged at .457. I have to keep this bullet below 1500fps or they won't group as well.

pmer
03-17-2017, 09:16 AM
I have a micro grove 1895ss Marlin and figured it was too hard to get a useable bore measurement. My sizer goes just under .460 and haven't had any trouble leading with 50/50 alloy and TAC 1 lube. A while ago I tried only a handful of paper patched rounds. They were Lyman 452651 340 grain in my alloy and they worked good at higher velocity. I wrapped them so not much paper was showing above the case mouth.

My 405 boolit is the Accurate 46-405A and I just used it for a boar hunt and had very good "drainage" from both sides of hog! I used 50.0/IMR3031 and the recoil is very manageable compared to the popular loads using 2400.

An easy way to get a idea of your throat length is to load a boolit backwards in a empty case that is lightly sized. Closing the action on it should push the boolit in till it stops against the rifling.

OverMax
03-17-2017, 10:01 AM
Don't own a 45-70~~yet. But I've read its a pretty forgiving caliber due in part to its being a BIG straight wall cartridge. Although like the Boss Mod said prior RB. Maybe it is time to just shoot that big lever rifle with what you have on hand for cast.
RB you have my curiosity up now. Lets hear what you found to be concerning that old Government cartridge. _(;

Harter66
03-17-2017, 11:11 AM
New tidbit . This one is a wonder gun . MR 13???B is a 2011 .

Thank you gentlemen I will " just go shoot it ".

Max I will also be feeding information to the gulch , Lee loader , goodsteel , art and science and maybe even 6.8 forums .

Harter66
03-17-2017, 11:23 AM
A peak at the bore and crown .
Note to self 6 right .....

Scharfschuetze
03-17-2017, 11:32 AM
There is a recent thread about Remlins missing some of their rifling. Looks like you're good to go.

My Marlin Limited III 1895 has the same Ballard style rifling and I enjoy very good accuracy (2 MOA on average) with 405 grain bullets from the Lee 405 mould or the Lyman 457299 mould.

It also really likes the Oregon Train 405 grain bullet. I pick those up unsized and unlubed from OT at their shop in Baker City, Oregon and then size and lube them through a .460" sizer in the RCBS unit. Before buying a new mould, you might order a 100 or so from them and see if your rifle likes that weight.

Good luck.

northmn
03-17-2017, 11:55 AM
There is a point where you have to shoot the thing and try it. I see a lot of over thinking in these threads. I might slug the bore if one does not shoot. Modern rifles tend to be pretty consistent as compared to the old originals. MG's shoot, but looking at yours you have a Ballard which generally is more forgiving. Even after slugging and working out what ever formula, one needs to shoot and test them with cast.

DP

Harter66
03-18-2017, 12:13 AM
I have a base line with Privi Partizan 405 JSP and it's pretty impressive .
I've loaded some light paper patched 454-350s and light 458-340s over Unique and the last of some 4831 .

In the course of an unrelated search I found an old stash of salvage lead that yielded about 100 457193s so why not run a work up with H322 . 5 each 42,42.5,43,43.5 .

RickinTN
03-20-2017, 10:16 PM
A friend and I have been working with his 1895 from about the same era as yours. His "heavy" bullet is the Accurate 460-405A and it works quite well with IMR 3031. We have been working some with the Lee 340gr (?) plain based bullet for a plinker and his rifle loves it with between 10 and 12 grains of Red Dot. These loads are a bit more friendly to the shoulder as well. We have been sizing bullets for his rifle to .4591" as that just happens to be how much we have opened up the Lee push through sizer and it works so well we aren't going to open it further.
Good Luck,
Rick

koger
03-24-2017, 12:57 AM
I have a first year 1895 G, ported barrel. I changed the factory pad to limbsaver, added Redfield rings and bases, a 2x8 Leupold. It shoots about anything into 1" or less at 100yds rested on sandbags. Does well with cast, jacketed, paper patched. I took a 6x6 elk in Colorado, 150yds, a nice black bear in Maine on the Canada border, #300, at 40yds, and several good deer here in KY! With the Hornady 325gr Leverloution loads, I can see the bullet impact before recoil loses the sight pic, thanks to the ported barrel and softer pad. One day, I shot 12 shots, 2 each from 6 different loads @ 100yds, JSP, JHP, and greased groove cast. The 12 shots went into 1.550 inch vertical, 3/4" horizontal group. Any rifle that will do that, and run as smooth as ball bearings is a keeper to me. I wished they still offered the ported barrels.