PDA

View Full Version : "Consistent" case lengths

sniper
03-16-2017, 11:29 AM
Half of my latest purchase of Starline brass is shorter than the stated trim-to length in any reloading manual.

I contacted them, and was told very positively that they are allowed to turn out .357 Magnum brass from 1.270-1.290", according to SAAMI rules. The 1.280 length published in the loading manuals since Lyman #3, iirc, is merely a "suggestion", sez he! They would, however, be happy to replace any brass that was outside of SAAMI specs. Nice of them! Thank you very much, Herr Customer Service Manager!

Sooo...That means either I modify my Lee Trimmer to shorten my ~1,000 .357 cases to a consistent length, https://www.shootersforum.com/images/smilies/cool.gif or just keep throwing everything from Sheep to Shinola at my seat/crimp die, and take what comes!

You wouldn't think that +- .003" would make a practical difference in the world of us plinkers...or, am I just straining at gnats, here?

Dan Cash
03-16-2017, 12:19 PM
I really like Starline brass but have the same problem with .45-70. I am loading black powder and the difference in length is detrimental to accuracy and causes leading at the chamber mouth. I strectch the too short cases; don't know what you can do for the .357s.

roysha
03-16-2017, 12:27 PM
Half of my latest purchase of Starline brass is shorter than the stated trim-to length in any reloading manual.

I contacted them, and was told very positively that they are allowed to turn out .357 Magnum brass from 1.270-1.290", according to SAAMI rules. The 1.280 length published in the loading manuals since Lyman #3, iirc, is merely a "suggestion", sez he! They would, however, be happy to replace any brass that was outside of SAAMI specs. Nice of them! Thank you very much, Herr Customer Service Manager!

Sooo...That means either I modify my Lee Trimmer to shorten my ~1,000 .357 cases to a consistent length, https://www.shootersforum.com/images/smilies/cool.gif or just keep throwing everything from Sheep to Shinola at my seat/crimp die, and take what comes!

You wouldn't think that +- .003" would make a practical difference in the world of us plinkers...or, am I just straining at gnats, here?

In my opinion, ya.

These following comments pertain to plinking ammo and not serious hunting or match ammo.

I have two batches of 44 MAG brass, one I call "old-mixed" and the other is mostly once fired W-W, all from the same bulk box bought new. The "old-mixed" has some cases from 1965 when I bought my first 44 MAG which I know have been loaded 30+ times.
They are virtually every commonly available brand and all have been fired multiple times. I don't recall ever trimming 44 MAG brass. Some of the case lengths vary enough that they are easily seen. I have my HOR Projector crimp die set for the shortest case and use a final size die to make sure the rounds will chamber if I should have a case a bit too long and may cause a bit of a bulge when crimped. (If you fear crimp issues, use a taper crimp die or LEE FCD since either is quite a bit more forgiving of varying case length than a roll crimp) This rarely happens since the bullet I use has a rather deep crimp groove so case length is not quite as critical as it would be with a shallower crimp groove. Also, over the years when I found one that was way long I just discarded it since it really wasn't worth my time to set up to trim. Yeah, I could have saved them and trimmed a batch but it just wasn't worth it for so few. The ammo loaded in this manner will consistently hit NECCO wafers at 18 yards, (IF I do my part) so I have no problems with beer cans at 25 yards. From a bench rest and when the gods are smiling and the stars align just right, I have shot 6" at 100 yards with my S&W 629. I know, there are people that shoot 1/2" groups blindfolded with their handguns at 200 yards but I'm not one of them, never was, even in my best years.

So, do I think you are over specing the job, yup. Find a comfortable, accurate load and don't sweat the tiny things too much. For what it's worth, I shoot 10 grains of Unique, 255gr. cast Keith style bullet and WLP primers.

HeavyMetal
03-19-2017, 12:30 PM
I'll second the Lee FCD die for the 44 Mag crimping, found mixed case's never are the same length and spent a lot of time trimming in the past.

Today I use one of the New Lee FCD dies, which do not seat boolits at all, and adjust according to directions, the FCD die does allow some flexibility in case length and .003 is well within the rang the die works, go buy one and see for yourself!

HM

Bazoo
03-19-2017, 05:51 PM
I bought some Starline 44 magnum brass sometime in late 2016 from Cabelas. The brass all measured short, until I sized it. Once sized, it was all over the trim to length except maybe a couple pieces that were just .001 short or so. I sized those again, and they stretched to over the trim to length and I was happy enough. I do not want to trim shorter than the suggested length in my lyman manual.

JSnover
03-19-2017, 06:22 PM
No practical difference for plinkers.
My load manuals call for 1.270"-1.285" If Starline makes their brass 1.270" or more you're good to go. I've never had a case that was under minimum and haven't had any of them grow beyond max.

bedbugbilly
03-19-2017, 06:44 PM
If the length of the new cases are all the same - just keep them separated from your other 357 and adjust your crimp die if necessary. I personally don't think it's going to make a lot of difference. I don't load a lot of 357 but I load quite a bit of 38 special and all of what I am using is range brass with mixed headstamps. The cased do vary some but for my plinking and lead boolits, they crimp just fine and shoot just fine.

I like StarLine brass. I bought 500 38 special when I first started reloading it and the range brass was working so well of rme that the 500 cases are still in the box. I use StarLine brass for my 45 Colt - I purchased it new but in different lots over a period of time - a 100 here, 200 there, etc. I noticed that there was a difference in OAL of the casings from batch to batch but honestly, it hasn't affected the reloading of them at all with the boolits I use. I only have one 45 Colt - a Uberti Cattleman and the chambers are quite generous. Sometimes I use my single stage and a Lyman roll crimp die or a RCBS Cowboy roll crmp die . . other times I use my Lyman 310 steel tong and 310 die to crimp them as I load in lots. I get a decent crimp with all three regardless of the minor difference in case lengths and there is not boolit jump - they all shoot very well and accurately.

"Competition shooters' may cringe as I realize that they are pretty finicky due to how and what they shoot - and that's fine. If you are really worried about it, you could trim all your brass to the shortest length and if necessary, adjust your load some but for general shooting and plinking, I think it is "over kill". IMHO.

The 45-70 BP loading I can understand when you are working with BP, case fill and compressed loads as a difference in length can alter grain weight of the BP load - but that's a different turkey to pluck. :-)

JSH
03-19-2017, 06:59 PM
I have more issues with crimp than I do anything else in my FA. In a factory mass produced gun, I honestly doubt you would ever see the difference.
I don't get to hung up on trim length compared to a max length. If it is over max you can have big issues. Short, not so much.