PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with 22 hornet sizing

Wallen
03-16-2017, 01:53 AM
So I'm getting started loading for my new contender in 22hornet. I prepped the cases as I normally would, sprayed the outside and inside the case necks with Hornady One Shot case lube and the first two cases flat out crushed! I've been handloading for 20+ years, but this is my first Hornet, is there a secret? The dies are RCBS. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDG
03-16-2017, 02:08 AM
Explain how they crushed? Did they catch on the expander or the bottom of the die?
Or did they accordion and fold up due to pressure on the neck?

You are dealing with a flimsy thin walled case and One Shot has a reputation for sticking a lot of cases in the dies. Try a different lube like Imperial or a heavy mineral oil or STP.

I have a Hornet Contender and a CZ 527 Hornet and I have never had a crushed case. I use Imperial lube. Even Imperial is not the best but it works for all but the most heavy duty applications.
Put a heavier lube on your finger and wipe a thin film on the case.

M-Tecs
03-16-2017, 02:10 AM
Pics of what area crushed would be helpful. If the neck pushed back into the case check to ensure the expanding ball is bellow the neck.

Make sure you let the one shot fully dry before sizing.

I have 4 different Hornets. The brass is thinner but the only issues I have are the different headspaces. For good brass life set the dies to the set the should back no more than .002" or neck size

Wallen
03-16-2017, 02:22 AM
It accordioned the whole neck down to the base of the shoulder. Not sure how to post pics. It only partially deprimed if that helps. I set the die up about an 1/8 turn lower than top of the down stroke.

They did not catch the bottom of the die, it almost seems that the expander is crushing it

The cases are Hornady

shoot-n-lead
03-16-2017, 02:37 AM
Wallen's picture...

M-Tecs
03-16-2017, 02:39 AM
The partially depriming suggests top of the expander is still in the sizing die neck area. Easy test is to remove the expander.

Wallen
03-16-2017, 02:41 AM
Responded to your PM

Wallen
03-16-2017, 02:42 AM
I'll try removing the expander

Wallen
03-16-2017, 02:58 AM
Ok, so I took the expander out and had no issues, then reinstalled and set the decapping rod and expander out farther, tried another case and had no issues. Sized a few more, no problems. Apparently with the Hornet the expander needs to be set pretty far out of the die! Is this what y'all are experiencing with your set ups? Thank you all for the quick help at the wee hours of the night!!

M-Tecs
03-16-2017, 03:17 AM
Ok, so I took the expander out and had no issues, then reinstalled and set the decapping rod and expander out farther, tried another case and had no issues. Sized a few more, no problems. Apparently with the Hornet the expander needs to be set pretty far out of the die! Is this what y'all are experiencing with your set ups? Thank you all for the quick help at the wee hours of the night!!

You are welcome and yes that is why I suggested it.

tward
03-16-2017, 12:30 PM
A tapered expander also helps, I've had good results with Lee case lube thinned with water. Tim

Iowa Fox
03-16-2017, 02:13 PM
A lee collet die is the best for the Hornet.

tstowater
03-16-2017, 10:15 PM
I have found Hornets to be a pain to load. Really have to carefully line up the cases or you will will mess up the thin brass quickly. Just need to slow down and be careful.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

country gent
03-16-2017, 10:36 PM
Not getting the die set correctly to not change the shoulder ruins case life. make sure you only push the shoulder back enough to chamber easily. SOme dies for the hornet will really over do the shoulder. If the shoulder is pushed back to far case seperations happen pretty quick