PDA

View Full Version : Got Another One

Eddie2002
03-15-2017, 06:52 PM
Oh man, I need to stay out of pawn shops, just wandered through one and found a .58 caliber Navy Arms Buffalo Hunter sitting in a display cabinet. I checked the price and had to do a double take, they only wanted $149.99 for it. Well I offered them $140.00 just because and ended up taking it home along with a nice bag of goodies including a powder flask, a powder horn, a possible bag, five or six tins of caps, a powder measure and 40 or 50 mini balls of different weights. My shooting buddy thinks I stole it.
The firearm is in really good shape with nice checkering on the dark blond stock. It also looks like the stock wood is maple that has been quarter sawed.
There were a few small patches of surface rust on the barrel that already came off with a little steel wool and elbow grease and the real kicker is that it came with a nice little Williams peep sight.
I can tell it's been shot but well taken care of and the bore is pristine.
:) :)

KMac
03-15-2017, 07:02 PM
You don't need to stay out of Pawn Shops if you are finding deals like that. You stole that one.
Congrats on that find.

Eddie2002
03-15-2017, 07:18 PM
They had a 1863 Navy Arms Springfield in the same cabinet for over twice the price on the Buffalo Hunter. Still would of been a good deal but didn't have the cash handy.

stubshaft
03-15-2017, 07:30 PM
That is one of the guns in my bucket list. I have 2 Zoli Zouaves, but always wanted a Buffalo Hunter. I was a kid when Val Forgett took one to Africa and hunted with it. Heck of a deal!!!

54bore
03-15-2017, 07:45 PM
Nice find!! I seen a Navy Arms .58 Cal in a pawn shop recently as well, The barrel on this one was noticeably bigger than my 1" guns, what are these? 1-1/8"? The ole boy in this place wanted 400 bucks! He also had a like new TC New Englander 12 Gauge, it even had the Factory TC Tang mounted peep designed specifically for the New Englander, he wanted 400 Bucks for it as well. The 12 Gauge barrels are HIGHLY sought after, i had one like brand new and sold it so i Didn't have any interest in this one.

William Yanda
03-15-2017, 08:38 PM
No picture-it didn't happen.

BPJONES
03-16-2017, 12:13 PM
Wow, $140.00 bucks---you did get a fantastic deal. A lot better than one that is listed for $575.00 on one of our Canadian forums although it is supposed to be "as new". Still, it's too much.

Eddie2002
03-16-2017, 01:57 PM
Here are some pictures just to prove it really did happen 190711190713190717190720190723190724 190725The green soft case in the first picture didn't come with the deal, it was an extra I had. I tried to get some good shots of the grain on the stock and the Williams Peep sight, the more I look at the rifle the more I like it.

bedbugbilly
03-16-2017, 08:30 PM
Very nice! And what a deal! I have shot a Zouave since the early '60s and it's still going strong. Always wanted one of the Buffalo Hunters - not a true historic rifle but I'll tell you, whoever came up with the idea years ago really ended up with a beautiful looking rifle! And, they saw the potential in it as well and they sold well. In a way, not much different than all of the surplus military muskets that were cut down and sold by places such as Bannermans - but they don't hold a candle to the appearance of the Buffalo Hunter IMHO. I still would love one if I could ever run across one at a reasonable price. Congratulations and enjoy it! I'll bet it will really put a smile on your face!

nhmikel
11-28-2017, 01:51 PM
Was that 12 ga a left or rt handed?
Still available?

Rick N Bama
12-03-2017, 01:21 AM
Sometime in '72 or maybe '73 I swapped a $50.00 22lr revolver for a Buffalo Hunter. Then in about '85 I sold it when the kids got hungry for $125.00, I sure wish I had it back. FWIW the rifle really liked a Lee .570" RB with 60grs of 2f and a Crisco greased T-Shirt patch.

Tom W.
12-05-2017, 10:14 PM
Where are you hanging out? Florida ain't too far from me........

WallyinIN
12-06-2017, 06:40 AM
Nice find, I had a similar experience Sunday to a clist add for a pair of decoration wall hanger muzzleloaders. The guy said he had a long one and a short one so I asked for pictures. The ling one was a flintlock and said it had traditions and 50 stamped on the barrel and the short one said ardesa and 50. Long story short, I got both for $120 and the long one is a shenandoah model in perfect condition the other might be an early version of a deerhunter it has a 24" barrel and only 36" oal. Both are in great shape clean bores and locks. Hope to shoot them soon, waiting on TOW order for flints and a wedge pin.

Wally

Eddie2002
12-07-2017, 04:27 PM
Still need to get out to the range for a day's shooting but got the Buffalo hunter over to a friends 45 yd range for a couple shots. I was able to hit a 6x6 piece of steel three out of three using the 530 grain minnie balls over 35 grains of 3f from a standing rest. I used a 50/50 bees wax, olive oil for a lube and standard #11 CCI caps. The rifle also came with a musket nipple that is screwed into a hole inside the patch box. Guess the musket caps would be for black powder substitutes or heavy loads of the holy black.
Been spending a lot of range time tuning a Remington BDL 700 in 30-06 to shoot condom bullets, a nice rifle but had a bunch of small problems that took some time to figure out.
Picked up the Lee .570 round ball mold and cast a few dozen balls so I'm ready to hit the range with the Buffalo Hunter and a couple other .50 caliber muzzle stuffers.
As a bonus the powder horn that came with the Buffalo hunter has a good quarter pound of powder still in it.

OverMax
12-07-2017, 09:13 PM
Thats a hunters dream having the peep. Do you happen to know the barrels twist rate?
You did good in its buying. REAL good!!

Eddie2002
12-07-2017, 10:17 PM
It looks like the twist is 1 in 48 best I can tell with a piece of dry paper towel on the ram rod. The barrel is 25 inches long and I got a 1/2 turn pushing the cleaning rod almost all the way in. The patch wasn't very tight but I got the same results three or four times. I also found some info on line that confirms the 1 in 48 twist rate. darn, now that I wiped the oil out of the bore I'm going have to get out and shoot it. Think I have some free time next week to get to the local range.