PDA

View Full Version : DGW tenn. rifle

RU shooter
03-15-2017, 01:11 PM
Well my plans on building a gun this spring changed as I found a nice Dixie tenn. poor boy flinter which was the general style I was gonna build anyways , payed the same as I would have for a lock stock and barrel plus I got a extra percussion lock in the deal if I would ever want to go with those modern caps ! Nice looking gun don't have it in hand yet but it's a 50 cal with the earlier 7/8 barrel . Not sure what kinda wood is on it ? Def not maple sorta light colored with dark patches here and there . Anyone know what size flints these take ? I have a bunch of 3/4 hopefully those can work . Any first hand wisdom about these rifles ?

Tim

bubba.50
03-15-2017, 01:38 PM
I had the 32cal version. the stock on it was cherry.

sharps4590
03-15-2017, 02:16 PM
As Bubba mentioned I believe the 50 was also cherry. I bought one when they first came out....goodness, 30 years ago maybe? Killed a couple deer with it. As I recall the lock was pretty good and I remember it being as accurate as anything else out there at the time. Thing I didn't like about it is that compared to a nice southern mountain rifle they're pretty clubby. Whether in a trade or sold it went down the road after a few years. Had a 32 also and it was a pretty good rifle, took quite a few squirrels with it but again, kinda clubby, especially for a small bore. Bear in mind that is one man's opinion and the old saying about opinions applies...

RU shooter
03-15-2017, 06:18 PM
Glad to know it's cherry and not some odd foreign Japanese wood hopefully it will darken up some if I sit it in the sun for a few months this summer like regular cherry wood does .

54bore
03-15-2017, 07:49 PM
I had the 32cal version. the stock on it was cherry.

Had? Didnt like it? What kind of value on this one bubba.50?

bubba.50
03-15-2017, 08:08 PM
no, like a lot of other things I've let get away, somethin' came along I thought at the time I wanted more. I'm a slow learner sometimes. don't really know what value to put on one. if yer the buyer it's what are ya willin' to pay, if yer sellin' you'll know if they hit the right price. boy, that's vague enough ain't it?

54bore
03-15-2017, 10:29 PM
no, like a lot of other things I've let get away, somethin' came along I thought at the time I wanted more. I'm a slow learner sometimes. don't really know what value to put on one. if yer the buyer it's what are ya willin' to pay, if yer sellin' you'll know if they hit the right price. boy, that's vague enough ain't it?

Totally understand bubba.50, ive let a few go over the years i sure wish i had back today.

mooman76
03-15-2017, 11:34 PM
I picked up one in a pawn shop about 5 years ago. It's a 32 flint. I bought the caplock conversion kit. Some day, probably when I retire I'll switch back to flint when I have the time to learn flint good. It's a nice well balanced rifle.

RU shooter
03-16-2017, 06:44 AM
Anyone remember what size flints these used ?

sharps4590
03-16-2017, 07:37 AM
RU, I believe they would take the same size as a large Siler and I think that's 5/8's? As with most things I think I remember that bears checking.

RU shooter
03-16-2017, 06:25 PM
That's what I figured same as what the L&R replacement lock takes Thanks .

KCSO
03-16-2017, 06:42 PM
The stock on mine was Jap cherry wood. I did rebarrel mine to a more suitable 40 calibre, but other than rehardening the frizzen and tuning the lock it shot well for a number of years and is still going strong.

johnson1942
03-16-2017, 07:40 PM
my first muzzle loader was a dixie penn rifle in 45 cal. the stock, lock and trigger was a good one but the barrel was the worst barrel ive ever seen. it was bored off center and was impossible to sight in as when the barrel heated up is bent to the thin side of the barrel. never ever bought anything from dixie gun works again. that gun taught me alot as when you figure out what and why of the nasty thing you pretty much got it figured out after that. check the barrel you get from them and if it is not bored on center you will never ever get to shoot consistant.

waarp8nt
03-16-2017, 08:49 PM
I met the fellow who designed that rifle for Dixie many years ago at a local muzzleloader show. He was selling stocks at the time. Nice fellow with good conversation too.

My Uncle has one in 50 caliber that was stocked in Cherry, it was missing the top jaw screw. They have two different threads on that screw depending on the location of manufacture, but I will be darned if I can remember the flint size. It was the 1st Flintlock that I ever shot and we shot it some more when he came to pick it up.

Congrats on your find!