PDA

View Full Version : a couple of questions about powder coating.

J257
03-14-2017, 09:51 PM
I have a 170 mold for my old 30-30 that drops almost .311 with ww. I usually shoot .309 bullets through this rifle. Will resizing take off the powder coat when I'm putting on the gas check? Should I use some sort of lube during this process?

RP
03-14-2017, 10:19 PM
Unless your scraping your bullets when sizing it will not remove the coating if it is cured right, As far as the lube it will help try a few if its to hard size before you coat then again after.

BNE
03-14-2017, 10:25 PM
Unless your scraping your bullets when sizing it will not remove the coating if it is cured right, As far as the lube it will help try a few if its to hard size before you coat then again after.

That is correct.

I have sized some .359 bullets down to .356 and it can be hard if the bullets have set for a long time before sizing. I will spray a very light coat of car wax on top of the bullets, roll them around a little and then size tem. It make a huge difference. Very easy and no scraping. I hope this helps.

Bzcraig
03-14-2017, 10:56 PM
Not sure I'm completely understanding. Are you going to PC before you apply your checks? If so, there's about a 99.9% chance your checks will not fit if you're using a push through sizer. If you're​ using the push through sizer the process is to install the check on the first pass, coat, then size again.

J257
03-14-2017, 10:58 PM
Thanks guys, that pretty much answers my questions. On a side note, I'm looking for a one coat powder for tumble lubing. Any suggestions would be welcome.

J257
03-14-2017, 11:03 PM
If I put the gas check on before powder coating, what do I use as lube that won't mess with the powder coat?

Bzcraig
03-15-2017, 12:23 AM
If I put the gas check on before powder coating, what do I use as lube that won't mess with the powder coat?

You can run them through without lube

Grmps
03-15-2017, 02:19 AM
All of smokes powders work (he's a vendor/sponsor on this forum), there are many eastwood, powder by the pound and other brands that also work, mostly higher gloss polyester .