PDA

View Full Version : HV Rifle PC

Bama
03-14-2017, 05:55 PM
I have been shooting a minimum of 100 rounds per week at or near maximum published loadings in 308W and 6X45. I had been getting increased buildup as charges increased. Anyone who is having the same problem may want to try the “Bacon Grease” from Smoke. I had tried a number of different PC’s from different vendors and most worked at lower velocities /pressures around 1900 fps but as velocities above 2400 fps the buildup made accuracy at longer ranges go in the dumper after about 5 shots. Getting a clean patch took up to 23 patches. The “Bacon Grease” has a lower ratio of resin/cross linker to components with melting temperature near 1800’C. So far it cleans up with only one or two patches more that jacketed rounds.

blikseme300
03-14-2017, 07:16 PM
Very interesting. I have been using only 1 type of PC from Smoke, JD green, and experienced similar results in 308W at near top end loads. Seeing as I was using a Star for sizing I added Ben's Red to some CB's during sizing and tested these. Problem was much reduced but the option of using a different powder is very attractive. I'll get some of the Bacon Grease and do some testing.

Drew P
03-17-2017, 10:01 PM
Where is this bacon grease. I don't know how to buy smokes powders. Been using powder by the lb and HF.

BNE
03-17-2017, 10:38 PM
Where is this bacon grease. I don't know how to buy smokes powders. Been using powder by the lb and HF.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?252509-Hi-Quality-Powdercoating-Powder-For-sale

And he's a good guy to deal with.