PDA

View Full Version : Lee Reloading Stand- Reviews

Cheshire Dave
03-14-2017, 02:39 PM
Moving into a new reloading room. Will finally have heat in the winter. I want to retire the desk I've been using for the last 40 some years. Do any of you use the Lee Reloading Stand? I do some case forming and want to use my Dillion press on it too. Is it solid enough? I thought I would store some of my lead ingots on it for ballast.

r1kk1
03-16-2017, 09:44 AM
C.D. I seen one in a gunshop and walked away. Pat Marlin is now making portable reloading benches and using his press mounting systems I would not be afraid to case form on it. I also shied away from the portable stand that Frankfort Arsenal/Midway also. Too cheesy. There are many portable reloading benches on the market.

take care

r1kk1

mdi
03-16-2017, 01:09 PM
I saw a Lee stand and it didn't fit my idea of a sturdy press stand, many like it but I wasn't one. While not a real answer to your question, I used this for a few years until I got a dedicated reloading room.

Iowa Fox
03-16-2017, 01:31 PM
I don't think you would ever be happy with it. Case forming and Dillons work best rock solid.

I like heavy and rock solid. I can usually find some old used wood desk, work stand or small table that fits the bill cheap. The University of Iowa sells that kind of stuff dirt cheap here, usually $5 to $25 buys something pretty nice.

Kenstone
03-16-2017, 02:31 PM
I can't offer a review, you might want to review this thread for ideas:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?12392-Loading-bench-pics

I built a shallow cabinet, and attached it to the wall studs, with the scale under that ice cream box at eye level, for standup reloading.
The actual bench is only a 2x4 and 2x6 deep, as for me, any flat surface/bench top just gathers "stuff".
I have presses mounted on a common plate, and just change them as needed.
Caulked all the cracks/crevices where little stuff hides and painted it white for light reflection.
:mrgreen:

Ben
03-16-2017, 02:36 PM
Having a scale at eye level is so very impt !

mold maker
03-16-2017, 03:01 PM
There are some operations that can be done on the portable stands, but they are like marshmallows for a stable work place. Any stable (unmovable) surface will be an improvement. While transitioning during a protracted move I used the FA stand and made do for quite a while. I broke 2 of the mounting tops and wound up making a much heavier one of wood.
If you want to do some light duty work away from your regular area it isn't bad, but neither the LEE or the FA units are more than a temporary means to a perminate problem.

Valley-Shooter
03-18-2017, 12:04 AM
I have the Lee stand in my apartment right now. I have a solid concrete block for ballast.

I use a Dillon Square Deal and a Lee Classic Cast single stage.
It works well for my needs. I load 9mm, 45 ACP, 44MAG and 45/70.

I wouldn't do any case forming on it. It's compact and fits my needs in a one bedroom apartment.