PDA

View Full Version : 340 Savage receiver sight

maas
07-07-2008, 05:37 PM
If I remember correctly a year or so ago there was a discussion about a receiver sight for the Savage 340. Can someone tell me if this is correct, and if so, post the sight manufacturer and item number. Called Lyman this morning and they said they don't list a receiver sight for that model Savage.
Thanks in advance.
CM in Nebraska

Antietamgw
07-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Williams still has a FoolProof to fit the 340.
http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/FPpage.htm

docone31
07-07-2008, 08:01 PM
I had a Fool-Proof on my Savage. I loved it. Good addition.

MT Gianni
07-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Mine is a Williams also. Gianni

HeavyMetal
07-07-2008, 09:06 PM
I believe these are the Williams "Fool Proof's" that mount on the forward end of the reciever?
I think I have one or two of those?

Had a few things I was going to put in the swap sell section in about 2 weeks Guess those will go in as well.

docone31
07-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Mine mounted on the left side of the reciever just ahead of the bolt.
They give a great sight picture. I loved it. Made my savage a tack driver, point and shoot.
I never tried it, but, I believe the small ring Mauser will also fit, even if it recquires a little filing.
I will tell you what, the Savage reciever is as tough as a Springfield's. I used a diamond burr to break through the hardening, then drilled and tapped it. I always break one tap, so I get the packs of five.
If one breaks, I use a tiny diamond burr, lots of cutting oil, and burr out the center.

Bret4207
07-08-2008, 07:12 AM
docone31- What lube are you using to tap with? Brownells makes and excellent lube- "Do Drill" and I believe they sell "Tap-ez" too. Both good.

docone31
07-08-2008, 07:49 AM
I used my lube!
I always have some on hand. When I set gemstones, I use it to lubricate the burrs.
Just getting through the hardening was an issue to me. I had never done that before.
I used a spring set punch, made a divot, got out a diamond burr and broke through the hardening.
I broke my tap as I went straight through instead of backing out every half turn. I had never tapped hardened steel before.
My reciever sight also went on a little low on one side. Just a tad and did not really hurt, but I wanted to do a better job. I was thinking I could just make some threaded brass inserts and redrill, but I never got around to it.
I liked that little rifle and I still wish I had it! I replaced the plastic buttplate with a field pad. I had never put on a butt pad before and I hand sanded it. All in all, it came out good. I put a gazillion coats of Tru-Oil on it and made it SHINE! I replaced the trigger guard with a steel Hawken trigger guard from Dixie Gun Works. I bent it to shape and made it work. I had cut the stamped trigger guard off at the back side of the magazine well.
Looked funky, and was a little cumbersome to hold, but I liked it.
I had a chance to get another for about 50$ a few years back. Needed TLC. It never worked out.
That was a fun little rifle to shoot. With the recoil pad, a 3/4" the extra length made it fit better to me. I need a pull of 14".