PDA

View Full Version : How can my friend remove sulfur from melted lead?

TonyN
03-13-2017, 09:58 PM
My friend tried cleaning his lead with sulfur and he thinks his lead is contaminated with sulfur. He put some in his pot and didn't relize he put to much in and now he tthinks it's contaminated. The bottom of the smelting pot is actually a yellow color.
Is there a way he can melt and clean this lead up to where it's a mirror lead look again? He wants all the sulfur out.

Dan Cash
03-13-2017, 10:21 PM
Secure good ventilation then heat the lead in the pot. The sulfur will burn off. Fumes from same are hazardous but are gone quickly.

runfiverun
03-14-2017, 12:51 AM
turn the lights off and watch the green fire.
if you don't get the fire you got out about all your gonna get.

you don't want it all out.
it acts as a grain refiner similar to how arsenic works.
but without the surface tension issues.

TonyN
03-14-2017, 09:11 AM
He put to much in the pot. The bottom is yellow looking. He was melting Range lead. What the best way to clean lead and the impuraties?

billyb
03-14-2017, 09:48 AM
He does not have a problem. The sulfur burnt out of his lead. I get that yellow build up on the bottom of my pot. It causes no problem with casting or boolit make up. The best way to clean range lead is to get it hot flux it and remove the crud that is on the top of the melt. Sulfur is used to remove zinc, when you have zinc in the melt, it will also remove tin. You do not need to use the sulfur with range lead unless there were a lot of zinc bullets shot there. To check for zinc in the melt use a drop of muratic acid on the lead it will fizzle on zinc but not react with lead.

runfiverun
03-14-2017, 12:46 PM
the term your looking for is Fluxing.
or carburizing, you introduce carbon to the alloy.
it can be harder to get back out than the sulpher.

a flat TSP of sulpher is plenty to stir through a pot of alloy, throw some wax on top and light it all off and keep stirring and scraping everything together.
then scrape all the gunk off the top to the side of the pot and squish it against the side before tossing it.

popper
03-14-2017, 01:39 PM
Actually it will harden the boolits and no, very expensive to get it all out. Just shoot them.