PDA

View Full Version : Bible study ?

Boaz
03-13-2017, 07:41 PM
Just a conversational thread , not soliciting scriptural input . Just wondering if you study your bible (which ever version it may be) ? Do you rely on Sunday school/bible study (group)/prayer meetings , sermons , tv preachers . Perhaps some other source ?

Or are you complacent with what you know or understand without further need of trying to go deeper into the bible ?

We all gather what we think from many sources . Scriptural , observation , listening to those we think know and just life . Trying to put it all together can be kind of a chore at times .

SO ! How do you continue to study or not ? There is probably no 100% correct answer .

adcoch1
03-13-2017, 07:47 PM
I read in spurts, some weeks maybe several hours, others maybe only one day that week for a few minutes. We've been working on getting a few bible studies going at our church though, so come next Wednesday I will be leading one, which will get me in the word a bit more. We have a great Sunday service at church, so a lot of scripture there too. I prefer the NIV for reading and the new king james version for study. Like to bounce the two off of each other for context, and I also like the ESV for the simpler, seemingly more precise use of American English.

USMC87
03-13-2017, 07:52 PM
I study most every day, I read and listen to numerous commentators. I can say that there is no need for me to try and scale a river when another has built a bridge. Using study helps of whatever sort one wishes is always good step in the right direction. I always pray for wisdom and God always gives me another bucket from the deepest well I know of "The Bible".

Preacher Jim
03-13-2017, 08:00 PM
The basis of my quiet time is studying the word for daily guidance, pray for wisdom before and direction to use what I read all day long. I could go astray easily and I need the Lord's help all day long.
I usually read a devotion before bed at night.

johnson1942
03-13-2017, 08:13 PM
ive read it many many times in the past as well as i inhale it on sunday during the sunday service. i know the words and practiced the word and the word is in me because of the holy spirit. their has been a tues morning bible study just a 1 and 1/2 mile from me for a long time my close christain friend heads it. i dont go because there is always someone there who want to argue every thing and that person is never under the power of the Holy spirit. i will not argue the bibleor sit through or next to a person like that. my friend has more commitment to this bible study at his house but it gets to him also. anyone is invited and some that come are not born again or if they are side tracked. they always try to rule. i wont be a part of that. i have a close friend like that also but we never ever talk God or his Son as he thinks im just dumb about God. he is a old testement christian and lives in the old testement only. again i will never ever argue God and His Son. if there was a bible stdy with some real meat in the studies i would go, other than that i do talk every couple of weeks with my pastor and we pray alot together. we are of one mind and our prayers change things because we are of one mind and the Lord Jesus Christ. i like meat when i go to meeting, not cotton candy or arguing. once and a while that happens.

Boaz
03-13-2017, 08:18 PM
I read a KJV , can't help myself . Got other versions but being raised with the King James ....well ...heck I just can't give up an old friend . I have posted several times I need to use a more modern version when posting . Had trouble with it all the while knowing a modern version would be better understood .

In a conversation not long ago with Jim I conceded , been trying to post using NKJV . I'm happy thinking folks might understand it more so than KJV .

SO! I have changed of late , lol...doubt anyone noticed BUT change is possible !

Pine Baron
03-13-2017, 09:11 PM
I've been very busy of late, so sadly, my time is limited. I have found a radio station, "the Bridge" transmitted locally (NY/NJ), very good discussion of Scripture and I get about an hour in the morning and an hour coming home. Also local weather and news headlines. God provides for our needs.

GhostHawk
03-13-2017, 09:35 PM
In my case it is strictly "As the spirit moves me"

Probably not often enough. I have recently been in Revolations, Acts, Isiah. Think I am going to dive into Psalms one of these days. I think David has some things to say to me.

Hogtamer
03-13-2017, 09:39 PM
My day starts NBG....nothing before God, just seems right to me and I'm a morning person to boot. I often use Our Daily Bread as a devotional thought. If the scripture passage is say, from Romans 12 I will read the whole chapter. Then out with my daily prayer/thanksgiving journal. I like to think my Father likes little notes meant just for Him. When led to do so I will do a serious study of a particular book, generally a chapter a day, making study notes, reading commentary, etc. I teach some and that takes a little different approach, but "in the morning when I rise, give me Jesus."

Preacher Jim
03-13-2017, 09:50 PM
Journaling your prayers is a great way to watch the Lord at work. Be sure to record the answers even the no's and not yets .
The Psalms have much prophecy in them great study

Ickisrulz
03-13-2017, 10:32 PM
I prefer scholarly biblical commentaries to anything devotional. The New International Commentary series is very good in my view. The Word Biblical Commentary is pretty good. Of course this all depends on the contributor.

I enjoy almost any exposition by G. Campbell Morgan. His work is always insightful and worth reading.

I don't know everything, but I don't think I have heard anything from the pulpit I didn't already know in many years.

smoked turkey
03-13-2017, 11:21 PM
I teach the mid to older adult Sunday School Class at our local Assembly of God church. We call ourselves the Prime Timers. My wife does the opening, which includes praise reports, prayer requests, and she also does the roll. I do the lesson. We use a couple of study bibles, read the commentary on each verse. We rely on the Holy Spirit to guide the overall process. The teacher's quarterly from Assembly of God headquarters is a good guide and gives us a well rounded series of lessons that cover a broad range of subjects. I wish I could remember, but I believe the curriculum is designed to cover all books of the Bible in five years. Our biggest asset is the depth of the people attending the class. Most of these senior adults are very knowledgeable about God's Word, and are seasoned Christians. They are easy to teach and provide a lot of input in each lesson which adds so much to the class. Long answer to a short question. Sorry if it was too wordy.

Bzcraig
03-14-2017, 12:33 AM
Together (wife & I) in the morning, I read 1 or 2 chapters out loud, we have a bit of conversation about what we've read then pray together. For 20+ years we used to do this every weekday, take Saturday's off then Sundays are church and family. Lately it's not been as consistent and we've added the pastor's notes from his sermon for additional conversation. She and I also have separate study/devotional times. Can't tell you how many times we've read the Bible cover to cover. Recently we've focused on the new testament.

1johnlb
03-14-2017, 08:48 AM
Similar to Ghosthawk, as the Spirit moves. One day to one book another day to others, commentary, devotional or pastor, but always in the word.

Where there's a will for gaining understanding of His word, He will give light to your path. It starts in the heart not the head/mind.

LAH
03-14-2017, 10:46 AM
Just wondering if you study your bible (which ever version it may be) ?

Yes the KJ. I will use others for reference only on occasion.

Do you rely on Sunday school/bible study (group)/prayer meetings , sermons , tv preachers . Perhaps some other source ?

For study I will use a Sunday School Book at times I subscribe to. I study from the Intermediate Book as I find the people to which I preach will handle simple better.

Or are you complacent with what you know or understand without further need of trying to go deeper into the bible ?

I'm not complacent & always seeking to learn. May day begins before daylight with coffee & Bible. I study for a sermon beginning on Monday. I like to have at least 8 hours in a sermon so Monday is normally 2 hours & the next 5 an hour & half. On Sunday I'm up the same way & go over my notes before Church.

Each Monday is new. I try not to use old notes but study anew for the next time behind the pulpit. I find if I mention what I'm studying to other people through out the week in the way of conversation it helps me to retain what I'm studying.

And since I'm not doing radio I've been able to slow a bit.

johnson1942
03-14-2017, 12:50 PM
im just a simple guy in my approach to every thing, i totally agree with a very old fine christain lady from years gone by when she said:" the bible sure sheds a lot of light on those bible commentaries."

Boaz
03-14-2017, 01:33 PM
I do not teach , only a layman . I admire those that put in the time , effort and love to spread GOD's word . But I do try to encourage .

I like making a lesson plan , its challenging to someone like me (not too bright ,lol) but tend to leapfrog a lot , kind of like a bible drill .

Boaz
03-14-2017, 07:26 PM
Morning is devotional and bigger part of prayer time . I get up around 4;30 so got a lot of quiet time . I pray when my feet are on the floor sitting on the bed . I thank him for another day . Every moment in this amazing word is a blessing .

Three spoiled dogs follow me to the kitchen , I make coffee and feed em . THEY ARE HAPPY !! Dogs a blessing , no matter the trouble in your life ...lol, they are there for you .

I try to recap the day before ...needs and prayer , that can vary from church to individuals I don't even know their name but sense they could use GOD's help . This Chapel forum is one of my concerns , many good members here trying to do his work . We have three in serious need medically right now .

Many I believe think just an internet forum connecting to GOD is unreal . GOD is here right now . He knows our thoughts ...good or bad ...anywhere , any situation . I have seen GOD work here in peoples lives . I am uplifted by members (church affiliation unknown) here praying for those they don't even know their real name , giving praise to GOD without asking where everyone single one attends services . Getting to heaven I will say I tried to be a Christian ...not Baptist .

buckwheatpaul
03-14-2017, 07:52 PM
Been going to to a men's Bible Study since 2003. Love it....Since I found Our Chapel I am leaning even more. The quiet of the morning is another time....

Char-Gar
03-15-2017, 01:16 PM
I was trained at Asbury Seminary in "inductive Bible study". This is a method by which you first read the book as a whole. Then you find the major division, then the divisions within the divisions and so on down to the various phrases of the sentence.

Once you understand the structure and organization of the material, then you began to ask questions. You take into consideration the context (when was it written, to whom was it written and why was it written)

Once you understand the above, the meaning of the scripture is fairly evident. Taking verses out of context and relying on commentaries often give distorted understanding of the text.

I do not pick up a commentary or other secondary source until I have studied and understand the primary source (Scripture) for myself. Secondary study material has it's place, but there is lots and lots of bad theology and personal views that form the commentary. Some commentaries can really get people twisted around the axle.

I started with Greek and Hebrew texts, but went to English translation. For most all purposes a good English translation is good, with occasional checking for specific word meanings in the original languages.

For an English text, I use the RSV. It is not any better that many others, but I have used it for 40 plus years and know it's strengths and weaknesses.

As a general rule, I don't pay much attention to preachers and teachers. I have heard lots of nonsense coming from pulpits and lecterns. I have heard very good stuff also, but most folks don't understand their faith enough to separate the truth from the BS. They are at the mercy of people standing in front of them, who is trusted to know what they are talking about. Often that trust is misplaced.