PDA

View Full Version : Refinish aluminum alloy receivers

AHicks1988
03-13-2017, 04:22 PM
Hy guys I have a couple aluminum receivers I want to have refinished as close to factory as possible. I'm familiar with all of the aerosol and paint on finishes, but I want something more like the original anodized finish. One of the guns is an old Wincester 1200 I got pretty cheap. Is there any way to achieve the factory type deep blue anodize finish, or am I just SOL?

44man
03-14-2017, 08:46 AM
Unless you are set up for true anodize, I don't think you can do it. They sell stuff but none works. I have used Brownell's spray on trigger guards and it came out nice. Don't know about a full receiver.
You might have to send it out.

Boolit_Head
03-14-2017, 10:27 AM
Just turned up this in Google so I know nothing about them but US Anodizing can do firearms.

http://www.usanodizing.com/faq.htm

pietro
03-14-2017, 03:33 PM
I have a couple aluminum receivers I want to have refinished as close to factory as possible.

Is there any way to achieve the factory type deep blue anodize finish, or am I just SOL ?

Shooting Times printed an article on how to do just that: http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmithing/gunsmithing_0706/

Boolit_Head
03-14-2017, 03:38 PM
That talks about spraying on a finish. Not at all like the anodized finish. But I agree it may be easier to use a spray on.

Moleman-
03-15-2017, 07:01 AM
To anodize something again, you have to remove the old finish which includes how ever deep the original anodizing went which can effect tolerances. That is why spray on coatings are popular.

AHicks1988
03-15-2017, 08:36 AM
Looks like it's gonna be a little bit harder than I thought. Well that sucks. I may look into US Anodizing a little bit more. Just don't want to spend more on anodizing than I paid for the gun. Thanks guys!

Mk42gunner
03-15-2017, 11:26 AM
Do a search, a few years ago I remember someone anodizing aluminum molds at home. The pictures looked alright.

Robert

BRIARPATCH
03-16-2017, 09:46 PM
I've got a Marlin model 56 that I've just about got the receiver ready to apply the Durablue (Duracoat product). The couple I've seen done looked pretty original. Been practicing on some scrap stuff with my new to me air brush. Will let you know how it turns out when finished.