PDA

View Full Version : 1895G Remlin ......

Harter66
03-13-2017, 01:58 PM
After many mixed reviews​ ......
I went to a show and bought a Marlin 1895 G in 45-70 for just a little more that a new 92' Rossi in Colts .
I just had a phone update and pictures are screwed up but I'll give it hell as I go .
I looked over the really important parts before dropping dollars doing a mental comparison to Jorge's SS gun and decided to take a chance .
The hammer is a little heavy on the bolt but with 30 found down range it seems better than it was across the table , but nothing like the slick of the 99' that Jorge has .

I have about a 1997 1894CB Marlin that was good but not great out of the new box and a little bit of stone work on the bolt and 5-600 round and it runs great the wood fit was good , a little proud on the fore stock but good at the action ends without a big curve .
This Remlin is another thing all together . It has cut checkering that looks good is very even an with my once over doesn't look to have any real over runs . I have a couple of side by side pics with the Rosschester 92' and frankly the fit and finish is better on the 92' than the Remlin . The 1895 also being what it is lacks any case colored parts being all blued . The metal fit looks good and the sissy pad (which I fully appreciate) is well fitted . I didn't observe any sharp edges but it is 2nd hand an some of that may have been doctored, there's not white lines to suggest that however . The crown shape looks like it was cut with a butterfly bit and shows all of the machine marks save the 1/32 in side the muzzle .

I shot 20 rounds of Privi Partizan 45-70-405 SP and when I finally got enough elevation to get on paper (18x24 fruit box) it shoots some 4" left but seems to want to stack them in all together . There was 1 group of 2 for sure maybe 3 that were all touching and at least 2 others in touching pairs . So with that in mind I can over look the cosmetics a lot .
This rifle is proofed REM and is an MR13xxxB serial I have no idea where that puts it as far as a build date but sometime between June 11' and June 16' . I would lean towards 13' .

Jorge is a lifetime​ friend that lives here now we shoot together about once a month and he feeds me new 1x brass . I have 100 Privi Partizan 1x now for the 45-70 now .
Remington bought Marlin in 04' but didn't move production from New Haven to Illian NY until early 11' . There were a lot of QC issues reported along with poor accuracy from the 1st Rem production guns . Hopefully that is behind them now and they will work on improving the wood to metal fit and making these guns as pretty a the BDL and CDL lines , at this point wood ADLs would be an improvement.

Texas by God
03-14-2017, 07:43 AM
It 's looking like it will work out. Nice .45-70. I too would love to see even a Birch stock ADL! I'm sick of plastic, too.
Best, Thomas.