PDA

View Full Version : Rem Oil

dale2242
03-13-2017, 08:34 AM
I pulled my varmint rifles out of the safe after sitting in there all winter for a sage rat hunt.
I had put a light coat of Rem Oil on them before storing them for the winter.
I saw what I thought was rust on the bare metal, but found out it was the Rem Oil that had turned to a rusty-yellow colored sludge.
Anyone else ran into this?
What are you people using as a lube/long term rust preventive?
I am the lazy sort and prefer something in a spray can....dale

Beagle333
03-13-2017, 08:54 AM
Haven't run into this. Been using Rem Oil for a long time. :D
It's all I use for my safe storage oil. Can't say how it behaves in all environments.

Petrol & Powder
03-13-2017, 08:55 AM
Everyone has their favorites when it comes to gun care products. You're going to get a phone book's worth of replies but here goes:

For long term storage of ferrous metal items I care about, RIG is still my top choice. A little goes a long way.
My "all around gun lube" is Clenzoil. It's a bit of a regional thing so you may have to order it. It's never let me down and it has completely replaced Breakree on my cleaning bench.
In some situations involving shearing type forces (think sears) Lubriplate is a good light grease.
For cleaning duty that doesn't involve copper fouling, Kroil is my go-to product.
For cleaning that does involve copper fouling, good Ol' Hoppes #9 is still the choice for me.

I've never been real impressed with Rem Oil and it does seem to harden with age.

Those are my recommendations, I'm sure you'll get another 100 or so more :smile:.

Good Luck

jmort
03-13-2017, 09:17 AM
I have a few different products. But keep going back to Ballistol. Never gums up. Original CLP. Like the WipeOut line for cleaning the bore.

dverna
03-13-2017, 09:23 AM
I use Barricade after using the gun. Probably not the greatest for long term storage. I think Brownels sells a product used for long term storage of guns in collections and museums. Do a search

XDROB
03-13-2017, 09:32 AM
I have been using Froglube for about two years now. And have been very pleased with it. I pulled a couple of my pistols out of the safe the other day. Have not used these two for awhile.
Both of them where still very clean. One was a litte stiff. I realized I had over done the application of the Froglube. Field stripped, wiped down and good as new.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

KCSO
03-13-2017, 09:35 AM
It does this on the inside sometimes too, the same as sperm oil use to do. It does protect the metal even when dried to yellow goo. I still go with a light coat og RIG for storage. We never had this problem when all we had was a 22 and a shotgun and used them all year long...see what affluence brings.

54bore
03-13-2017, 09:49 AM
I have been using this particular Rem Oil and am VERY impressed with it! My muzzleloaders that have been stored for over a year look brand new, no signs of rust whatsoever. I think this is a newer stuff? Totally different than the Rem oil in the Aerosol Can

Remington's MoistureGuard VCI/Blend is the most scientifically advanced formula for protecting and lubricating metal surfaces and equipment from rust and corrosion. Our special Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor (VCI) provides the ultimate protection from the harshest of elements. Our formula is able to penetrate into the smallest cracks and crevices while our vapor technology blends with moisture and oxygen to stop rust and corrosion in its tracks. Our formula is designed for long term protection and should be the last application prior to storing any metal gear or equipment.

jcwit
03-13-2017, 10:18 AM
Mobil 1 and RIG.

Lucas Red grease on the slides of autos

dragon813gt
03-13-2017, 10:40 AM
All I use is Ballistol. But I routinely maintain my firearms. And they're all stored in safes w/ humidity control. For long term storage you want to use a product like RIG. I like to keep them in shooting condition so they are pulled out once a year a given a once over w/ Ballistol. I apply it a little thick on the guns I don't shoot often.

Here is the SDS for Ballistol: http://www.ballistol.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/MSDS_TECH_BIO.pdf

When looking at other gun care products you will see lots of chemicals that are hazardous.

375supermag
03-13-2017, 10:48 AM
Hi...

I have been using Rem Oil for years with no complaints.
I clean the bores and cylinder charging holes with Hoppes #9 and Shooter's Choice Lead Remover when needed.
I spray them down with Gun Scrubber and wipe them down with a Rem Oil wipe.

Most of my handguns get stored in either a pistol rug or a foam lined case. Rifles and shotguns are either stored in a locking gun cabinet or a locked long gun case.

Never had an issue with rust.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-13-2017, 11:03 AM
I use G96.

bedbugbilly
03-13-2017, 11:10 AM
I've used RemOil for a long time and have never had an issue with it. If I'm out of it, I use WD-40.

You're in Oregon I take it? I don't store in a gun safe and don't have one but I put mine in cases and make sure that they are where there is not going to be a wide temperature change and humidity/sweaing issues. You indicate that you think it is the RemOil itself and that's a good thing since it isn't your metal rusting. I'm flying by the seat of my pants but is there any possibility that where you have your safe you may have a humidity problem? if so, you my want to investigate ways to keep the humidity down in the safe as I'm sure there are products out there for that purpose.

And . . . how did your sage rat hunt go? Successful? :-)

garym1a2
03-13-2017, 11:23 AM
Mobile1/atf 50/50 mix.

beechbum444
03-13-2017, 11:32 AM
Try CLP Collector for long term. I do not use a lot of Rem Oil anymore. I think it has an ingredient in it that makes things gum up and get sticky after a while, maybe lanolin but not entirely sure. Could be the same thing that made the rusty yellow. Hoppes elite is a lot better than #9 but the great smell is missing.

AK Caster
03-13-2017, 11:59 AM
Been a fan of Rem oil for awhile. Always thought it was a good product. Then one day recently found two of my rifles in the safe with rust of them. After reading this review I tossed my Rem oil in the garbage and will never use it again.
http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

saguaro
03-13-2017, 11:59 AM
Had a squeaky hinge on the bathroom door. Sprayed it with a little Rem Oil and now all I have to do is touch it and the door slams.

shoot-n-lead
03-13-2017, 12:13 PM
NO...Rem oil for me.

runfiverun
03-13-2017, 12:28 PM
G96 here also.
I use a ton of their stuff including their synthetic oil for slides and stuff.

I will also use Birchwood Casey's sheath if I'm going out in the wet weather and haven't oiled the gun down for a while it seems to bead off the water better.
they both come in spray cans.

on the wood I use regular ol furniture polish something like pledge works well.
but the G96 will also put a nice shiny coat on the wood without hurting it.

blackthorn
03-13-2017, 12:53 PM
All I have used for the last 30++ years is Johnson's Paste Wax on the exterior and Ed's Red inside.

44man
03-13-2017, 03:01 PM
All good solutions of course but I use barricade--New name for Sheath and maybe improved.
But one sticks out as the absolute worst and that is WD40. You could not pay me enough to spray a gun with it. Wax is also great.

youngmman
03-13-2017, 03:24 PM
I use Brownell's rust preventive #2 and never had an issue no matter how long the storage.

KMac
03-13-2017, 03:52 PM
All good solutions of course but I use barricade--New name for Sheath and maybe improved.
But one sticks out as the absolute worst and that is WD40. You could not pay me enough to spray a gun with it. Wax is also great.

Picked up a Marlin model 99 22LR. It is mid 1960's and looked to be in almost perfect shape.
Except it would jam everytime. Quick inspection everthing looked very clean with a perfect bore. Honestly did not look it had ever been shot. Took it down and it had a
varnish in it that I am pretty sure was WD40. Had to scrape it all out. Oiled it and it
runs perfectly now. Will not even put WD40 in the same room now with my guns.

country gent
03-13-2017, 04:29 PM
I am still old school and use rig grease applied to the outside with a lambs wool pad. My pad is impregnated now so I just have to grab it and rub down the firearm. I add a little grease every so often to keep it going. I have the birch wood caseys Sheath here and its good but a little thin for my tastes for true protection also

Sur-shot
03-13-2017, 04:47 PM
G-96 for me. I have carried it all over the world in my locked gun case for years with just a bore snake and a wipe rag.
Ed

Der Gebirgsjager
03-13-2017, 05:06 PM
I do currently use Rem Oil on all the firearms that I store, but here's how I do it: I spray some on a cleaning patch and carefully coat all of the exterior metal and bore. The I affix two strips of Brownell's no-rust paper with rubber bands to the long gun, one on either side, and enclose it in one of their metallic storage bags. Fold that around the gun and then put the entire thing in a cheapie hardcase. So far it has proven good for 5 years.

I used to like the G-96 aerosol and went through a couple of cases of it, but once took out part of my revolver collection to show a vising retired LEO, and every single one was completely gummed up to where not only the cylinders wouldn't rotate, but they couldn't be opened. That provided an entertaining week's work to completely disassemble them, scrub them in kerosene with a toothbrush to remove the gum, lightly oil and reassemble. I've still got a can of it on my bench, but use it sparingly and not for storage.

WD-40 is a pretty good lubricant, but I've always wondered about it's long term storage protective abilities as it seems to evaporate completely after a couple of days.

It's hard to beat a light coating of grease for a preservative, but a mess to deal with when removing.

I do have some long guns that both the stocks and metal are coated with wax, then buffed with a soft cloth. That has often been the case with long guns I have displayed on the wall, as oil attracts and captures dust, but a gun protected with wax can just be wiped off with a dry cloth.

gwpercle
03-13-2017, 05:25 PM
I use Barricade after using the gun. Probably not the greatest for long term storage. I think Brownels sells a product used for long term storage of guns in collections and museums. Do a search

Actually Barricade is a very good product. It's wax based in an aerosol spray can, the aerosol evaporates and leaves the wax coating. It doesn't evaporate and does keep rust at bay. I use it in Louisiana , known for heat and humidity.
A good pure Carnauba automotive paste wax is also good. I use Mothers Pure Brazillion Carnauba Wax and apply two coats for long term storage ...this does work.
Gary

dale2242
03-16-2017, 08:52 AM
Thanks guys for your replies.
Keep them coming.
The product that seems to be recommended most is G96....dale

Greg S
03-16-2017, 10:58 AM
It all depends on the surface prior to storing. Ever wipe down a factory new gun and come up with a rust patch? I think the only think Rem Oil is good for is wiping down guns. -0- longevity in the lubication department, there are better alternatives. For longer term storage, I go with a liquid MDL. Donxt get an areosol, the stuff smellsmworse than Hoppes. I have never used Rig as I haven't had a need for it. Have considered trying the museum wax stuff though.

jcwit
03-16-2017, 11:08 AM
If you have no need for RIG why would you need museum wax?

Just wondering!

snuffy
03-16-2017, 11:17 AM
EEZOX!! Premium gun care is a synthetic oil that's extremely slippery AND leaves a protective shield against rust. It's all I use now for the last step before storage, and during cleaning for lubrication.

https://www.amazon.com/Eezox-Synthetic-Gun-Oil-Can/dp/B002XW24MK/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489677122&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=eezzox#Ask

They claim it forms a molecular bond with the metal. Apply the liquid, then wipe of the excess, leaves the metal dry. It comes as a spray as well.
(https://www.amazon.com/Eezox-Synthetic-Gun-Oil-Can/dp/B002XW24MK/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489677122&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=eezzox#Ask)

XDROB
03-16-2017, 11:53 AM
Ok, I'm a Froglube guy. And love it.
Nobody has brought the new one on the block. Piglube.
From Their advertisement:
Pig Lube is a premium firearm lubricant that utilizes Nano Particle Technology. Imagine microscopic tungsten ball hearings eliminating surface friction on the naturally high friction/high wear contact points of your firearms. We are confident that you will never want to use a different gun lube again!
So there.

duckey
03-16-2017, 12:01 PM
I have used Remoil for years and like it. I have never seen what you are seeing on your guns however I have see this on my steel molds which I spray a heavy coat on prior to wrapping them up in a rag for storage, this could be caused from to much oil.

Der Gebirgsjager
03-16-2017, 12:17 PM
The brown stuff present from using Rem Oil for long term storage is just dried oil, and a little Hoppe's No. 9 takes it right off with no damage.

Pig Lube! How interesting! I'll be looking for it. :D

jcwit
03-16-2017, 12:31 PM
I just don't buy all this marketing about "nano" particales and super duper lubes manufactured by elves from a far, far away galaxy, and brought here by secret space ships.

Just me, old age maybe, never saw a rusted out cast iron block, which was lubed with quality motor oil. Just my 2 cents.

Case in point: Lucas lube $54 bucks a quart, M-Pro 7 $80 bucks a quart, Frog Lube $144 bucks a quart, Pig Lube $831 bucks a quart.

XDROB
03-16-2017, 01:00 PM
I don't have that many firearms that I have to buy my lube in quarts
Must be nice. LOL

jcwit
03-16-2017, 01:16 PM
Must be nice. LOL

That it is, I suppose.

How does the old saying goes, A penny saved is a penny earned!

XDROB
03-16-2017, 01:17 PM
Yah, I get it.

Der Gebirgsjager
03-16-2017, 01:38 PM
I just don't buy all this marketing about "nano" particales and super duper lubes manufactured by elves from a far, far away galaxy, and brought here by secret space ships.

Just me, old age maybe, never saw a rusted out cast iron block, which was lubed with quality motor oil. Just my 2 cents.

Case in point: Lucas lube $54 bucks a quart, M-Pro 7 $80 bucks a quart, Frog Lube $144 bucks a quart, Pig Lube $831 bucks a quart.

Wow! No kidding? $831 a quart? I guess I'll stick with the Rem Oil and leave the other for squeaky pigs. But, I mean really --- you don't believe in the space ships and the nano elves?

dragon813gt
03-16-2017, 02:43 PM
Must be nice. LOL

I buy Ballistol by the gallon. It's not cheap either. Last time I bought it the cost was around $80. But I use it on a lot of things. All my tools are wiped down w/ it. I use more for this purpose than for firearms.

jmort
03-16-2017, 02:48 PM
It is the only oil I will use on a lock
Anything short of grease = Ballistol

Bullwolf
03-16-2017, 11:43 PM
I use G-96 as a CLP for clean up, and a rust preventative.

http://www.sportingsupplies.co.uk/contents/media/l_1055.jpg

I love the smell of it. G-96 actually smells like cinnamon to me.

The pleasant smell of G-96 won't get me in trouble. But Hoppes or Kroil will both get me yelled at, if I use either one indoors. I've also been known to use waxes. (JPW or Renaissance Wax)

For longer term rust protection, I use RIG grease.

For general lubrication, I've been using Mobil 1 Synthetic oil for many years now. I dispense the Mobil 1 from empty eye dropper bottles. It works great, and does not evaporate and disappear over time... Unlike some of the petroleum distillate oils that I've used in the past.

- Bullwolf

rockrat
03-17-2017, 12:49 AM
ACF-50 (aircraft corrosion formula). Leaves a fine thin wax film. Not really a lube, but a barrier to corrosion

Peregrine
03-17-2017, 04:10 PM
I'm a big fan of G-96, and have turned a few other shooters onto it (consensus for us is it smells like bubblegum). I've been meaning to try ballistol for a long time but have never run into it.

myg30
03-17-2017, 04:27 PM
Eds Red with out the ammonia.

Mike

birch
03-18-2017, 10:17 AM
+1 on G96. I can actually spray a gun in our bedroom without the wife having kittens.

I also feel it is a great medium length storage protector. I go through all of my guns every six months and I he never seen a trace of rust on white cleaning cloths.

blackthorn
03-18-2017, 12:30 PM
Eds Red with out the ammonia.

Mike

I think you mean Acetone??

myg30
03-18-2017, 12:34 PM
Yes thankyou. At least they both begin with A ! My memory is getting worse, glad I use my reloading/ casting notes.

Mike

jonp
03-18-2017, 06:51 PM
I buy Ballistol by the gallon. It's not cheap either. Last time I bought it the cost was around $80. But I use it on a lot of things. All my tools are wiped down w/ it. I use more for this purpose than for firearms.

$79 here

jonp
03-18-2017, 06:57 PM
Guy I know protects a very valuable Arisaka collection with nothing but RemOil. It was pretty much all I used after cleaning with Hoppes #9 when growing up and before I knew I had to use wonder lube with nano superglide space particles or my guns would explode. Funny, never noticed they didn't work when using this.

Lately I've been using Ballistol. I like being able to use one thing for a multiple of uses. Still clean the barrels with Hoppes but wipe down with Ballistol, make Ballistol Milk for my black powder rifles, use it for locks etc.. The only thing I don't use it for is long term storage and bearing surfaces like rails on a 1911, for that I use Full Syn 5w20. Penetrating Oil I make myself from ATF/Mineral Spirits or Acetone for most stuff and Kroil for firearms. The biggest thing is to clean your firearms and inspect them every once in awhile. I could care less that the latest wonderlube protected steel plates submerged in The Atlantic for 1yr. Who on Earth is doing that and if you are buy some RIG