PDA

View Full Version : New Ruger pocket pistol

Lead melter
07-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Anyone got a lowdown on the new Ruger RCP [.380] or the SR9? Interested but would like some firsthand reports if possible.

mold maker
07-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Same here.

AZ-Stew
07-08-2008, 01:03 AM
Just read an article about it in one of the NRA mags. .380 ACP, barely larger than one of the old Colt pocket .25 autos. Polymer frame, steel slide, 6 in the mag, one up the pipe. I think they said they fired 400 rounds with no malfunctions. I'm guessing it may recoil smartly due to the low weight of the frame. The guy testing it said he could only get about half of his ring finger on the grip, so you end up with a 1-1/2 finger hold. Since the NRA protocol is to average the group size of 5 five-round groups at 25 yards for all handgun testing it's not surprising that this belly gun shot 4-5 inch groups with three different kinds of ammo. Personally, I haven't see one yet in person.

I think I'll stick with my Taurus titanium .32 Mag revolver. It's the size of a Smith J-frame and fits my pocket perfectly. Same bullet weight, slightly higher velocity and better sectional density should give better penetration, all else being equal.

Regards,

Stew

nelson133
07-08-2008, 06:53 AM
I don't have the Ruger but I do have the Kel-Tec .380. which is almost identical. It is tiny and excels as a backup carry piece. It has some recoil for it's size and the grips can bite a bit. My girlfriend calls it the cheese grater because of the grips. The Ruger is supposed to be better in this regard. I can do center of mass hits at 21 feet no problem, but the sights are rudimentary at best. Because of it's size, it is easy to limp wrist it and takes some getting used to. For ultimate concealability with the most power a for it's size, it is great.
What I like most about the Kel-Tec is the warranty. I shot my first one a lot and eventually the take down pin wore the hole on the frame oval to where the gun wouldn't function. I sent it back to the factory at my expense and they stamped the old serial number on a new one and sent it back to me at their expense. So essentially this is a lifetime gun. My experience with Ruger factory service has not been this good.

MtGun44
07-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Haven't handled one, have and carry a P3AT which has slightly "better"
numbers than the Ruger (smaller, lighter, etc.) but Ruger has always meant
quality to me. P3AT has been 100% reliable with all factory ammo tried.
Perhaps 400 rounds at this point, not a lot.

Would also love to hear a personal report on the Ruger.

Bill

475/480
07-08-2008, 12:15 PM
I bought a Ruger 380 LCP about 2 weeks ago .
I took it to the range and fired 50 rds of Winchester 95gr FP with no malfunctions,I also bought 2 extra mags ($24 ea) direct from Ruger's website .
From 7 yards the Ruger LCP fired consistently 3" low left of the bullseye,good tight groups but at 7 o'clock. All in all a good buy and fits in my pocket in a Uncle Mike's Side Kick holster and that is good when it is 95 degrees here in Houston.

Sean

Boomer Mikey
07-08-2008, 02:15 PM
I wanted something larger and purchased a S&W M&P Compact in 40S&W. For me it was a compromise... I was looking at the PARA Warthog 45ACP but user reports changed my mind, and the price of a Kimber Ultra Compact is outside of my budget. the S&W M&P came with a coupon for 2 free magazines to sweeten the deal.

Darn CA laws... I gotta wait 30 days to pick it up, I'll carry my S&W or Springfield 1911's until then.

Boomer :Fire:

Lloyd Smale
07-08-2008, 05:58 PM
buddys got one that has about 500 rounds through it without a burp. Im still waiting on one.

Old Ironsights
07-08-2008, 09:31 PM
I'll stick with my DAO hammer fired NAA Guardian. I dislike strikers.

MtGun44
07-10-2008, 03:15 PM
So does GM. [smilie=1: and Ford, too.
:kidding:

Bill