PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed: Dealing with feral & stray dogs

7Acres
03-12-2017, 04:41 PM
I don't know if this type of post belongs in Our Town, but I didn't see any better place. So lately it seems people have been dropping off their unwanted pets out on our dirt road. Normally I don't even consider shooting someone's dog until a few weeks ago. I saw a couple dogs at the end of my driveway that I didn't recognize. I walked outside (stupidly without my gun) to get a closer look. They were sniffing around and ignoring me. I noticed neither dog had a collar. Then I cleared my throat. They both looked up at me and the bigger one snarled and growled. They weren't acting friendly. I got the sense that if I didn't move first I'd lose the upper hand. I turned and bolted for the house as fast as I could. They took off chasing me right to the door where I barely squeaked in. I shut the door and turned around to see how close they got. The one was up the stairs on the landing to the door. No idea what they would have done if they caught up to me.

I've never owned a dog and don't know many dog breeds. I have no idea what these were. Not a pit bull, black lab or German shepherd. Probably were just mutts. One was the size of a German Shepherd the other more medium size.

Anyway, with young kids I don't want to take chances. Just last week I saw another set of dogs with no collars on walking on the road. As I passed by in my truck I stopped when I got to them. They had that same attitude. Just stiffened up and stared me down. I called the wife who was running errands. She had the boys. I just wanted her to keep the boys inside with these dogs on the loose.

Here's my question, I want to start dealing with the threats when they occur. When I see stray dogs with no collars from inside the house I want to simply pick up the shotgun, go outside and shoot them dead before they wander off my radar. I don't want my sons (2yrs and 4yrs old) to be a quick snack.

Is this the wise thing to do? What advice would you have for me?

C. Latch
03-12-2017, 04:44 PM
I grew up in a very rural area and still live in a fairly rural area. I have literally decades of experience in this area, and all you need to know is this:

In the day and age that we live in, nothing good can come from discussing this in public. You know what needs to be done; you know when it can be overlooked and when it absolutely must be dealt with, and you know the various ways that such problems can be dealt with.

You don't need a discussion here.

Beagle333
03-12-2017, 04:45 PM
We have animal control here that we can call if strays are a problem just roaming in the area. But strays that growl at me on my own land are fair game. I don't know about the laws where you are.
C. Latch has good advice.

7Acres
03-12-2017, 04:57 PM
CLatch, point taken. Beagle333, thanks for your approach.

As for calling Animal Control... My good neighbor at the end of the road tells me this became such a problem for him he says he has shot and buried around 200 dogs way before I bought my property here. He caught Animal Control stopped on the side of the road releasing dogs out here. :x I wasn't thinking I'd bother burying them unless they breathed their last breath on my property.

Anyway, thanks guys. I'll handle my business. Just wanted a sanity check.

rl69
03-12-2017, 05:00 PM
I can't add anything, best advice has already been given. Good luck

Plate plinker
03-12-2017, 05:03 PM
Shoot Shovel and Shut up. This from a childhood bite victim. We lived on a dead end.

johnson1942
03-12-2017, 05:07 PM
you asked a question that the sheriff from the next county over and i talked about in some length yesterday. kill them. here is why. the pine ridge reservation and the rosebud reservation has a huge feral dog problem. they kill kids and young livestock. two years ago a 11 year old girl was killed and mostly eaten by a pack of feral wild dogs. i dont hear much news from the rosebud but the sheriff does. he told me that 2 young children from the rose bud have been killed recently and eaten. the ranchers around there are forming hunting parties and killing every feral dog they see. there are 100/s of them on the rosebud. when you see a wild feral dog, shoot it. they stay around the blacktops looking for road kill. they will go after you young lifestock and chickens and ducks and your dogs and cats. even your children if they get a chance. even the small wild dogs will join a feral dog pack and help kill anything, even a human. KILL EVERY ONE YOU SEE. many years ago i live in a town of about 50 thousand and i would drive 5 days a week on a good blacktop to a hospital i worked at 55 miles. along that black top were many feral dogs. there is a milatary base near there and they would loose there dogs or let them just run wild. in the 4 years i worked that job i killed many feral dogs. they were all mean ugly and very wild. they also kill a lot of wild game. ducks and pheasants. one day on the way to that job i saw a white german shepard tearing apart a bunch of wild duck nest. i put a .22 round though him and he run off. a week later going though this tiny village, their he was laying on a porch with a big bandage around his middle. i never ever saw him run again. when i shot him he was a long long ways from home. SHOOT THEM ALL. when i worked home health on the pineridge i used to start seeing dead dogs all over the rez from febuary through march. the tribal police starts shooting every stray dog they see about that time. at this time of the year there are 100/s of them dead in the rural areas. i even read that the rez in canada have this problem, they have a once a year clean out on some of the rez/s up there. start carrying you gun even a hand gun, shotguns are best and lay them low when you see them and dont loose any sleep about it. remember they will kill the dog in your yard and eat them. any come in my yard they are maggot bait.

7Acres
03-12-2017, 05:11 PM
Shoot Shovel and Shut up. This from a childhood bite victim. We lived on a dead end.

Yes, the 3S rule!

M-Tecs
03-12-2017, 05:16 PM
22 LR in the liver and no shoveling required.

jonp
03-12-2017, 05:25 PM
The triple S is the rule. You have a wife and kids, what more do you need to ask about this?

sghart3578
03-12-2017, 06:16 PM
The problem of feral dogs and feral cats will come to a head eventually. Wildlife scientists are starting to openly call for the eradication of wild cats.

For obvious reasons I won't discuss my approach to dogs and cats roaming my place.

+1 on the three S rule.

BigMagShooter
03-12-2017, 06:19 PM
in NC, a dog or any animal threatening you on your own property, you may use any means necessary to protect yourself.

William Yanda
03-12-2017, 06:34 PM
That is a query for your local law enforcement. SSS?

AlaskaScott
03-12-2017, 06:39 PM
Within the confines of the law, all aggressive animals on my property die. No ifs ands or buts. I have had a long talk with LEOs and the worst thing you can do is "wing" them to scare them off. That is animal cruelty. But putting down an aggressive animal is self defense.

DLCTEX
03-12-2017, 06:53 PM
Many years ago a lady in a rural area had a problem with a large pack of dogs coming on her property and killing her cats and/or eating the cats food. She mixed some antifreeze with the cat food for a few days while keeping the cats inside. Within a week she had cleansed the neighborhood of a serious problem. A drastic solution, but she was at her wits end.

country gent
03-12-2017, 06:53 PM
If they are openly aggressive you can defend yourself family livestock. Another option is game control or the local Dog warden. One plus to the Dog warden and game control or even pest control is the animals will be checked for dangerous diseases also when caught. Distemper, Rabies, mange are things you don't want spread thru the area. Ive had the Dog Warden out a few times for dogs ( not just wild but people that let unsavory animals run loose). A pic or 2 of the problem animals for them is helpful also. The 3S are dominant here.

snowwolfe
03-12-2017, 07:00 PM
If you feel you are in danger kill them. Dogs are pack animals, when they are by themselves they are usually more friendly. Add a couple more to the pack and all of a sudden they get a chip on their shoulder and become increasingly aggressive.

Petrol & Powder
03-12-2017, 07:36 PM
If you feel you are in danger kill them. Dogs are pack animals, when they are by themselves they are usually more friendly. Add a couple more to the pack and all of a sudden they get a chip on their shoulder and become increasingly aggressive.
This is on the money. They are pack animals and far more dangerous if in an aggressive pack.
An individual dog will rarely take on an adult human. I love dogs and go out of my way to treat them well. Occasionally a bad dog will challenge you. Every now and then I've had to establish myself with an aggressive dog and I've never had a problem with one of those dogs after that. My old neighbor had a dog that was just plain mean. It would growl and show its teeth to me. I finally got my hands on that dog and when I was done we never had a problem again. I didn't kill it but I made sure it knew I could.

If I was challenged by two or more dogs working together I would shoot every one of them.
As for the three S rule, the first S should be Shovel; have the hole dug ahead of time !

bob208
03-12-2017, 07:46 PM
where I grew up all the farmers had this dog problem. we shot as many as we had the chance. the farmer next to ours would carry an artillery luger on the tractor with him. I don't know how many that luger accounted for but it was quite a few.

lightman
03-12-2017, 08:00 PM
Gotta agree with the 3S strategy. A 22 short HP out of a 22 inch bolt action is fairly quiet.

DLCTEX
03-12-2017, 08:03 PM
My home town had an extreme dog problem in the early 50's to the point that packs were taking down cattle and anything else they found. Hunting party's were organized and a bounty was placed on dogs without a collar of $1 each. In a short while the problem was eliminated.
In the sixties my friends and I were buying 22 ammo at the hardware store when a farmer asked us to hunt feral dogs at the city dump. There was a large pack of 50-60 dogs and they were killing his young hogs. We went there and killed most of them. Some were aggressive and attacked when wounded. Sort of dangerous game hunting. One guy had a single shot and was being pursued by a wounded dog. He was begging for help as he ran. I took it out with a shot to the head.

Idaho45guy
03-12-2017, 08:06 PM
We don't have issues with feral dogs up here. I had never even heard of such a thing until I moved to Iowa in the 90's.

If our harsh winters don't kill strays off, then the coyotes and wolves will.

I remember when I lived in AZ, there was a story about feral packs of Chihuahuas taking over communities. People were dumping them like crazy during the housing crash in '07 and `08.

The thought of city people being terrorized by packs of wild chihuahuas made me laugh out loud...

Idaho45guy
03-12-2017, 08:12 PM
Found the Chihuahua story...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2562128/Arizona-neighborhood-terrorized-feral-packs-abandoned-CHIHUAHUAS.html

They may be small and cute, but packs of stray Chihuahuas have been wreaking havoc on the streets of Phoenix, Arizona.

Maricopa County Animal Care and Control says last year alone it received 6,000 calls from the Maryvale section of Phoenix about abandoned Chihuahuas roaming the streets in the neighborhood and scaring children.

‘We compared the number of calls we got in 2013 from that area to similar areas in town and the calls from Maryvale were three times higher than surrounding areas,’ said Melissa Gable with MCACC. ‘Part of it is these animals aren’t spayed or neutered, so they’re out looking for a mate and are having babies, which also contributes to the problem.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2562128/Arizona-neighborhood-terrorized-feral-packs-abandoned-CHIHUAHUAS.html#ixzz4b9z5woYN
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=MailOnline) | DailyMail on Facebook (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=DailyMail)

Geezer in NH
03-12-2017, 08:43 PM
:killingpc:killingpc:groner::killingpc

54bore
03-12-2017, 09:10 PM
I grew up in a very rural area and still live in a fairly rural area. I have literally decades of experience in this area, and all you need to know is this:

In the day and age that we live in, nothing good can come from discussing this in public. You know what needs to be done; you know when it can be overlooked and when it absolutely must be dealt with, and you know the various ways that such problems can be dealt with.

Right here! ^^^

marlin39a
03-12-2017, 09:12 PM
I have that problem here. There's been 3 running wild, now only 2. I use a 40 gr solid 22 lr.

GhostHawk
03-12-2017, 09:54 PM
Growing up if there was a stray we did not recognize on our property it was the 3 S's for sure.

But we knew every yard dog within 5 miles and most of the house dogs.

As I started hunting I started seeing dogs doing things dogs should not do, like chasing deer.

Dogs on their own land got a pass, dogs down in the woods along the river following a deer trail got a bullet.

But it was a simpler time.

I suspect was I in your situation I would have some kind of gun in my vehicle.

If it was not on my property I might shoot to miss.
Then again, I might not. Would depend on situation and temperment.

I have seen dogs pack up, feral dogs, dogs that have gone to the wild have little fear of man.
They will attack, kill and eat if it suits them.

My dad and I got chased out of a woods once while bowhunting by such a pack. We walked backwards with arrows nocked and knives loose in the sheath. Then by the sound of it they made their kill and we took the chance and skeddadled out of there.

Shotgun and rock salt may be best bet for those on the road. Just move em on along.

starmac
03-12-2017, 10:24 PM
Grew up in farm and ranch country, no problem with dog packs, as individual dogs didn't live long enough to pack up.

NavyVet1959
03-12-2017, 11:14 PM
Many years ago a lady in a rural area had a problem with a large pack of dogs coming on her property and killing her cats and/or eating the cats food. She mixed some antifreeze with the cat food for a few days while keeping the cats inside. Within a week she had cleansed the neighborhood of a serious problem. A drastic solution, but she was at her wits end.

Dogs killing cats?

Hell, I would give the dogs a *reward*.

NavyVet1959
03-12-2017, 11:27 PM
Back on the ranch, we would have problems with dogs sometimes attacking a cow who was giving birth. As such, any dog that was sniffing around got a bit of added lead. I like dogs, but when they are wild and killing your livelihood, they are fair game. Bury 'em? Not likely... They rotted where they fell. It was a large enough piece of land that no one was going to smell their rotting corpses unless they were trespassing so far onto our land that they were in danger of being shot also.

The reason the dog chased you is because you *ran*. You run, then that tells them that you are prey and that they should chase you. Instead of running, you should have been aggressive towards the dogs and made them back down from you. If you do have a truly aggressive dog, he will bite the first thing that is presented to him and as such, if you're not wanting to have to kill him, carrying a walking stick and presenting it first will cause him to bite it first. Hell, I've even used that technique on a gator that was in my BIL's backyard that I didn't think was worth killing. He latched onto the stick and I then led him out the back gate towards the levee and the river.

I'm too old and crippled up to try running from a dog that might want to attack me, so I figure I need to handle the situation. If necessary, I will shoot the dog, but that would be my last resort. I can cause him a lot of pain without having to resort to using my gun.

Traffer
03-12-2017, 11:34 PM
I knew of a family who owned a large area of land back in the 70's when snow mobiles first became popular. They invented a sport. Feral dog hunting on snowmobiles. I don't think it was even illegal to shoot of a moving snowmobile at the time. There were many packs of feral dogs in their (mine also) area of about maybe 5 miles square so 25 sq miles. They also cleaned up a pretty sizeable coyote population. No one was anything but grateful. Feral dogs for all practical purposes are larger meaner coyotes. Nothing good about them. I wouldn't even bury them unless they were close to my house and stunk up the place.

nagantguy
03-13-2017, 12:00 AM
The only final and best solution! The most important of the 3S's is the third one! I can't stress that enough, never mention it to anyone ever, hunting buddies, nope, neighbor, nope, online forum nope! Never!

DSRichert
03-13-2017, 12:07 AM
Nope never saw that dog.....

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

Boolit_Head
03-13-2017, 12:27 AM
One thing is don't run from them that triggers their chase instinct. That makes them feel stronger than you. Think like a pack animal and instead bare your teeth and growl back while staring them down like a stronger animal would.

I was a bite victim as a kid, got over that working with dogs in Law enforcement.

In the long run if you don't have some agency to collect them then shooting them is a option. I would reserve that for last recourse though.

sghart3578
03-13-2017, 12:35 AM
I live in California so I am used to the silliness here but when I started dealing with the feral cat population around my house it was strange for sure. I had a yellow Lab that was my best buddy for 15 years and 4 months.

Near the end he was weak and slow and couldn't defend himself. A loose cat scratched his muzzle pretty bad and it got infected. I was angry of course and set about dealing with it the way I always had. But my wife reminded me that we had a lot more neighbors now than we used to so I decided to do it by the regs.

I got out my old live trap and caught him the first night. He was a jet black cat and HUGE. He was fighting the cage so I covered him with a towel.

I took him to animal control and even they said "Man that's a big cat!" They then asked me if I wanted to him him "returned to his natural habitat".

I said, "He's a feral cat, they don't have a natural habitat". They told me that normally, they neuter/spay the cat and return him to your yard. I told them no thanks.

I will say that all over my county there are signs warning that loose dogs threatening livestock can be shot. One advantage to living with an influx of yuppies is that they don't want their show horses attacked by some meth head's loose mongrel.

Here in my county animal control only works a few days a week and they won't respond to a call unless someone has actually been attacked.

Bzcraig
03-13-2017, 12:48 AM
Tons of advise about your problem so won't add to that but turning and running is the worst thing possible to do, that is what triggers their 'chase response.' Best to carefully and calmly walking away.

starmac
03-13-2017, 12:59 AM
Heck a registered lizard would chase you into the house if you run from it. lol

I had to laugh one time. I was staying in a campground on a little lake at Orange Texas. The campground manager had chickens, ducks, guinees and geese.
The geese would spread and flap their wings while running at you squawking something fierce, but would stop and about face if you stood your ground.
One morning a man, his wife and son from Pa carried their breakfast out to a picnic table beside the lake, the geese came just a charging like they were going to attack, so they ran leaving their breakfast.
The geese jumped up on the picnic table and made short work out of their eggs and sausage, then wandered off. The folks came back with 3 more plates and the geese came charging back. The woman and son ran back to their camper, but the guy had brought a baseball bat and jumped up on the table to defend his eggs. I about busted a gut, but did go shoo the geese away for them.

NavyVet1959
03-13-2017, 01:04 AM
Tons of advise about your problem so won't add to that but turning and running is the worst thing possible to do, that is what triggers their 'chase response.' Best to carefully and calmly walking away.

Agreed, running away if probably the worst solution. Back when I was more into cycling, there would be some dogs that would really like to chase you. Since we're on flat land around here, it's easy enough to keep ahead of most dogs without really breaking a sweat. I would usually slow down to the point where the dog could get close so that he would think he could catch me. I would keep this up until he couldn't run any further. At which point, he's so far from where he started, he's lucky to find his way back. On foot though, a dog is fast enough to easily catch a human. There are many dogs though that can run faster that you can peddle, but they often don't have the endurance to keep it up. The really fast breeds don't tend to be threats to humans anyway. But, if they got too aggressive, that's what the bike pumps were for back then. :)

Col4570
03-13-2017, 02:13 AM
Three years since I was taking my daughters elderly Jack Russel Eddie for his daily walk.Approaching us was a bloke with a Husky type Dog,it immediately attacked Eddie by bitting his Back then got him by the Throat.When Blood started to show I Attempted to pull the larger dog off.The more I pulled the more he bit so I had no alternative but to Hit out with my Applewood Stick which broke across the dogs back.I was reduced to Stabbing the Dog with the Jagged end of the Stick until it gave up.If this had not worked my next thought was to Knife the dog that never came to pass.At no time did the big dogs owner try to stop the attack I explained to him that he was close to Hospitalisation at that point and in return for his safety I needed his address.He gave it to me but never honoured the Large vetinary Bill for Eddies treatment.Eddie was never the same after the event,the wind had gone out of his Sails and he died a few months later.

bullseye67
03-13-2017, 02:17 AM
Good evening, Thanks for starting this. Hmmmmm call 911 and it's 20 plus minutes for them to show up for a human....don't want to think about how long animal control would take.....and they would probably charge $$$ YOU $$$ for the call out.
I have spent the majority of my life in a rural setting. My parents had a 1400 acre farm and my wife had a 80 acre horse set up with 20 brood mares when we met. Others have stated here that animals and feral dogs don't mix. Try $15,000 mares and $50,000 studs that create big $$$ foals. Used to get the guy that hauled gravel in the yard to dig a large pit every spring and fill in last years. Because we lived 10 miles from a large city on a major highway, we had continuous pit fill dropped along the highway. I asked why people drop their animals off instead of taking them to be put down? The local bylaw guy said "well, the animal clinics make them feel like criminals and talk them into keeping their unwanted pet, of course, the $250.00 shot with disposal fees helps. Costs nothing to drop them off and now we or you have to deal with it" Just another example of a "throw away society"

imashooter2
03-13-2017, 07:34 AM
CLatch, point taken. Beagle333, thanks for your approach.

As for calling Animal Control... My good neighbor at the end of the road tells me this became such a problem for him he says he has shot and buried around 200 dogs way before I bought my property here. He caught Animal Control stopped on the side of the road releasing dogs out here. :x I wasn't thinking I'd bother burying them unless they breathed their last breath on my property.

Anyway, thanks guys. I'll handle my business. Just wanted a sanity check.

A shot dog dead on the wrong property could get into the papers and cause much outcry from those that don't have to deal with the problem. Investigations, inquiries, publicity... much better for all concerned if they fertilize your garden.

DanishM1Garand
03-13-2017, 08:04 AM
In 1991 I came home to an empty farm my father owned from the Marine Corps. Our neighbors had 30 odd dogs and fed them one 50 pound sack of dog food a month. Welfare didn't buy much dog kibble. There wasn't a rabbit, coon or deer within a mile. The neighbor on the ridge to the south had sheep. They had to keep the flock in the barn at night. They had always had a reputation of being dog killers anyhow. They thinned the pack some.

Neighbors moved out taking only one or two of the pack with them. Dad and I had started to run cattle again also. The dog warden was called. He trapped a few of these ferals out and shot a few. He gave a permission slip to me and several neighbors to cull any of these dogs we saw.

Either Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up (SSS) or get the dog warden involved.

You already violated SSS by asking here.

Multi generational country folk get it. City folk that move to the country do not. SSS

w5pv
03-13-2017, 08:43 AM
I don't know if this type of post belongs in Our Town, but I didn't see any better place. So lately it seems people have been dropping off their unwanted pets out on our dirt road. Normally I don't even consider shooting someone's dog until a few weeks ago. I saw a couple dogs at the end of my driveway that I didn't recognize. I walked outside (stupidly without my gun) to get a closer look. They were sniffing around and ignoring me. I noticed neither dog had a collar. Then I cleared my throat. They both looked up at me and the bigger one snarled and growled. They weren't acting friendly. I got the sense that if I didn't move first I'd lose the upper hand. I turned and bolted for the house as fast as I could. They took off chasing me right to the door where I barely squeaked in. I shut the door and turned around to see how close they got. The one was up the stairs on the landing to the door. No idea what they would have done if they caught up to me.

I've never owned a dog and don't know many dog breeds. I have no idea what these were. Not a pit bull, black lab or German shepherd. Probably were just mutts. One was the size of a German Shepherd the other more medium size.

Anyway, with young kids I don't want to take chances. Just last week I saw another set of dogs with no collars on walking on the road. As I passed by in my truck I stopped when I got to them. They had that same attitude. Just stiffened up and stared me down. I called the wife who was running errands. She had the boys. I just wanted her to keep the boys inside with these dogs on the loose.

Here's my question, I want to start dealing with the threats when they occur. When I see stray dogs with no collars from inside the house I want to simply pick up the shotgun, go outside and shoot them dead before they wander off my radar. I don't want my sons (2yrs and 4yrs old) to be a quick snack.

Is this the wise thing to do? What advice would you have for me?
Shoot,shovel and silence above all silence or the do gooders will want to talk to you

Handloader109
03-13-2017, 08:50 AM
I lost about a dozen young and old goats that I had in my 4 acre pasture in MS to a supposedly 'good' dog. I could never catch him. I lived in city limits, but on almost 30 acres of property that was pasture/ woods. No cows, or large livestock. Dog would sneak up in early morning or near dusk, And kill one. No eating, nothing but chase and kill. I got off one or two shots over a couple of weeks, but couldn't catch him. Started carrying my shotgun, (no handgun at the time) in my truck. Finally one day, caught him near pen again and I left him where he lay.... I'm not wasting my time using a shovel. Oh, had an interesting discussion with sheriff before this happened and as long as I thought my livestock or family was being potentially harmed, ANY dog was fair game.
Just my take.

NavyVet1959
03-13-2017, 10:03 AM
Three years since I was taking my daughters elderly Jack Russel Eddie for his daily walk.Approaching us was a bloke with a Husky type Dog,it immediately attacked Eddie by bitting his Back then got him by the Throat.When Blood started to show I Attempted to pull the larger dog off.The more I pulled the more he bit so I had no alternative but to Hit out with my Applewood Stick which broke across the dogs back.I was reduced to Stabbing the Dog with the Jagged end of the Stick until it gave up.If this had not worked my next thought was to Knife the dog that never came to pass.At no time did the big dogs owner try to stop the attack I explained to him that he was close to Hospitalisation at that point and in return for his safety I needed his address.He gave it to me but never honoured the Large vetinary Bill for Eddies treatment.Eddie was never the same after the event,the wind had gone out of his Sails and he died a few months later.

Sounds like one or both of you did not have your dogs on a leash. Or maybe the owner of the larger dog was too much of a wimp to be able to handle his dog.

When dogs get into a fight, the best way to separate them is to grab the hind legs, lift so that the dog is having to support his weight on his weaker front legs, and then back away, turning at the same time to keep the dog off balance and make it difficult for him to turn and bite *you*. Trying to grab the dog by the collar will often result in you getting bitten as the dogs try to bite each other.

54bore
03-13-2017, 10:23 AM

rancher1913
03-13-2017, 11:35 AM
if something goes south and anybody asks why you did it, never say because they were on my property, always say they were attacking my livestock or children. you need to sound like it was them or you or a lawyer will have a field day.

Outpost75
03-13-2017, 12:22 PM
Neighbor is Korean. Had issues with marauding dog bothering his geese, so shot the dog. Next week had BBQ and block party for neighbors. Fat woman asked neighbors at BBQ if anyone had seen her dog. "What color dog?" asked my friend. "Black" she said.

"Yes," he said. When I was young boy growing up in Korea my Grandma LOVED BLACK DOG!

Black dog the best! Bosintang! (보신탕; 補身湯)"

We all laughed and ate seconds... Fat lady never got the joke.

bob208
03-13-2017, 12:24 PM
well in this state if a dog comes on your property and attacks your dog of livestock it is open season on the dog. if you see dogs running a deer it is open season on the dog.

hanleyfan
03-13-2017, 12:28 PM
I had that experience when I meet a large stray dog in my yard as I came out the door one morning, He snarled at me and started moving toward me, I backed back into the house and my boys airsoft gun was siting there so I picked it up and opened the door and shot him twice with it from about 15 feet, He yelped and took off, from that day on everytime I saw that dog he would give my place a wide birth. I have used it on other troublesome dogs since and they all get the message and stay out of my yard.

Love Life
03-13-2017, 12:31 PM
Handle your business and stay quiet about it.

NavyVet1959
03-13-2017, 12:39 PM
well in this state if a dog comes on your property and attacks your dog of livestock it is open season on the dog. if you see dogs running a deer it is open season on the dog.

If people cared about their dogs, then they would keep them confined to their yard and not let them run free. If you let 'em run free, they will get into trouble eventually. Kind of like kids in that respect, I guess. :)

If they don't care enough about their pets that they let them run loose, I have no sympathy for them if they end up getting run over or shot when they are on someone else's property.

Col4570
03-13-2017, 01:36 PM
Sounds like one or both of you did not have your dogs on a leash. Or maybe the owner of the larger dog was too much of a wimp to be able to handle his dog.

When dogs get into a fight, the best way to separate them is to grab the hind legs, lift so that the dog is having to support his weight on his weaker front legs, and then back away, turning at the same time to keep the dog off balance and make it difficult for him to turn and bite *you*. Trying to grab the dog by the collar will often result in you getting bitten as the dogs try to bite each other.
Eddie was on his Lead but the Attacking Dog had neither Collar or Leash.I usualy think I can handle any dog but this one was hell bent on killing my Dog.Until this confrontation I really had little comprehension on how Powerful a large determined dog can be.The owners body language to me seemed to suggest that he was proud of what had taken place,a sort of I am tough I have a savage dog.

NavyVet1959
03-13-2017, 02:15 PM
Eddie was on his Lead but the Attacking Dog had neither Collar or Leash.I usualy think I can handle any dog but this one was hell bent on killing my Dog.Until this confrontation I really had little comprehension on how Powerful a large determined dog can be.The owners body language to me seemed to suggest that he was proud of what had taken place,a sort of I am tough I have a savage dog.

One of my dogs gets along with everyone and every other animal. Hell, I've even seen a cat crawl over the top of her when she was laying down and she didn't think it worth doing anything about. She's a pit bull. The other dog is also a pit bull which my daughter rescued from the middle of a highway where someone had dropped it off with the intent of killing it by letting it get run over by a car. She's very well behaved around people, but she will bark at and chase small animals like squirrels and cats. The two dogs kind of get along at present, but I ended up sewing up a few wounds on the older dog as they were hashing out their dominance issues.

higgins
03-13-2017, 06:39 PM
I live in a semi-rural area. We have no livestock so that's not an issue. We have two cats that live in the barn. We don't have a dog problem but we have the occasional stray cat, primarily because people put them out at the nearby veterinary hospital. I've dealt with them by catching them when they come to eat our cats' food and taking them to the county animal control people.

I'm concerned that people in rural areas who have to deal with feral and stray dogs are in more danger than they used to be because there's probably a higher percentage of pit bull and pit bull mongrels among the strays. Pit bulls seem to be one of the breeds of choice among the rural drug addicts, alcoholics, etc. They let them run free, and when they move on they often leave their "pets" behind to become strays. I know not every pit is a vicious dog, and I don't want to turn this thread in that direction, but they're the breed I would be most concerned about as a potentially dangerous dog.

Plate plinker
03-13-2017, 06:55 PM
It is abused dogs that are dropped off that are the secondary problem.

The primary is the idiot humans who do the dropping off and abuse.

54bore
03-13-2017, 07:00 PM
It is abused dogs that are dropped off that are the secondary problem.

The primary is the idiot humans who do the dropping off and abuse.

I fully agree!! As horrible as it might sound, it would be better to have a dog put down rather than dumped off to starve

Kraschenbirn
03-13-2017, 07:10 PM
We live in a 'semi-rural' area...the country road out front is the city limits line but there's 80 acres of farmland on the other side. Don't have a feral dog problem but we do get as occasional coyote enroute to or from his housepet dinner on the other side of the line...one of those the tree-huggers want to pay someone to 'catch & release into their natural environment.' Yall' know, a .22 Hornet doesn't make a whole lot of noise and, if those Sierra 40 gr. JSPs exit at all, it's only as fragments. Just sayin'...

Bill

Half Dog
03-13-2017, 07:22 PM
I would check with the legal powers. I'm in the city and I cannot shoot a dog unless there are more than one attacking.

MaryB
03-13-2017, 10:40 PM
People dump strays in front of my house all to often. Most of the time they take off but over the years more than a few have turned into field fertilizer. About 4 years ago a guy said a coyote attacked his little girl, it had a white strip in its fur and was larger than normal. His security camera got a picture of it and I recognized it. A few days later it came into town on its normal path and I shot it. Guy identified it and the DNR picked it up(I got to keep the pelt, cured it as a throw and sold it for $75 because of the different colors) because it had been reported. Turned out to be a coydog, dog/coyote cross that are becoming a problem in my county because they are super aggressive. Town has given me permission to kill any coyotes, stray dogs, skunks that are coming into town behind my house across the field. I get 3-4 coyotes a year that way. Dogs I never mention, there is a low spot out in that field that gets a carcass in the water to rot away.

And I am a cat person but stray cats kill to many game birds so they do not live long around here. Only one I don't shoot is Orangie who has adopted most of the town. He is very tame, will hop in your lap and hang out etc. He spends most of his time up by the bar where people feed him outside. He does a good job of rodent patrol because HATES them, I had a gopher issue until he moved in... I saw him walk up on a pheasant one day and sniff at it then walk on... he has no interest in birds. The number of rats has dropped way off too,former neighbor had a garbage mountain in his backyard before the city condemned the house. That drew in a bunch of rats and I used to see them a lot. Now I rarely see one. Another case of SSS with stray cats that are wild...

toallmy
03-14-2017, 05:47 AM
The real problem with the abandoned dogs , is the person that dropped the animal .

rondog
03-14-2017, 06:27 AM
If I lived in a rural setting and had that problem, I wouldn't even use a shovel. The carcasses would make good bait to lure in others.

DanishM1Garand
03-14-2017, 08:16 AM
If I lived in a rural setting and had that problem, I wouldn't even use a shovel. The carcasses would make good bait to lure in others.

Until the neighbors trespassing see the carcasses. They moved to the country from town last year and think Walt Disney was a naturalist.

They will call the dog dog warden who also is a townie. He will arrest you and put you in front of a judge who lives in town and your jury is also from town.

SSS. All three if you are not in remote Wyoming. I mean forty miles from a town of five hundred.

Rufus Krile
03-15-2017, 12:33 AM
Couple of years ago I went outside to investigate a lot of barking and discovered my neighbor backed up against his garage by a roaring, absolutely beautiful, rottweiler. Just like mine, only not. Neighbor said "I think your dog got out!" Replied "Bad news, Brian... that ain't my dog." At which point the rotty decided I needed some explanation of the rules and came over to discuss it with me. I'd picked up a broom but wasn't real sure just where I needed to hit that big square-headed SOB. Neighbor fidgeted enough to get the dog's attention long enough for me to retrieve the shotgun. When I reappeared he came roaring back to me and seemed a bit put out that I wasn't backing up. I told him in a calm voice that I didn't want to shoot a pretty animal like him but if his attitude didn't improve I was probably going to have to. Seemed reasonable at the time. He left, having made his point. Two weeks later he followed a neighbor kid home and attacked him in his garage. Next time I'll shoot.190573

Lloyd Smale
03-16-2017, 07:20 AM
lots of post here are no doubt from people who don't have dogs. Ill be the man out here and say if you are going to do it you are probably breaking the law. You possibly are shooting a dog that belongs to a neighbor or someone from down that got loose. A dog that has owners that love it enough that they would consider putting a slug in your gut and letting you run off and die a miserable death. Now if a dog was giving me problems on my land id first try the police and animal control. If they didn't respond (they sure would around here) and that animal is ACTUALLY a threat to hurt you, not just a dog that might have growled at you once or one that if you chased it off probably wouldn't return. Then and only then would I consider putting it down and if I decided that it had to be done it would be done humanely. Anyone that tells you to shoot it in the guts and let it run off and die slowly so its not on your property is one sick individual. It isn't that dogs fault that hes wild in the woods. Its some warped in the head humans fault. That dog sure shouldn't be made to suffer. Keep in mind theres cases in court all the time from people who shot someones dog they thought was a stray. Keep in mind when your pulling that trigger that my dog is a choc lab. You might think twice because if you put a slug in my dogs gut just because he happened to wander onto your precious property I will hunt you down and nobody or nothing will stop me from returning that slug to you. Keep in mind too if your ever in my company and brag that you gut shot a dog or for that matter any animal so it would run off suffering and die somewhere so you don't have to clean up the mess you and I are about to go a couple rounds. I understand theres some circumstances where it HAS to be done. But at least do it with some class and do it as a last resort not as some kind of sport! A much better sport would be watching for those ignorant sobs that are turning those dogs loose by you and hunting them!!

reloader28
03-16-2017, 08:51 AM
The OP said early on that the dog catcher was caught releasing the dogs so calling him is not an option. If people dont want their dog shot, then they better make sure it is not running around.
I dont care if the dog is a threatening or not, if stray/wild dogs are running around, they need to be shot, end of story.

Lloyd Smale
03-16-2017, 08:57 AM
sorry I don't call many out but why would a dog catcher turn dogs loose. If anything theyd have them put down. If a dog catcher was truly letting dogs loose in the wild he would be out of work in a second and the city officials would have some serious explaining to do. Can you imagine the liability issues with letting a dog loose like that if it did attack a child. Sorry but this aint my first rodeo. Just an excuse to justify killing them.
The OP said early on that the dog catcher was caught releasing the dogs so calling him is not an option. If people dont want their dog shot, then they better make sure it is not running around.
I dont care if the dog is a threatening or not, if stray/wild dogs are running around, they need to be shot, end of story.

lightman
03-16-2017, 09:34 AM
Thats a good post Lloyd and a good point. I agree, if you are going to shoot them you should be humane about it. And be sure they are wild and not someones pet. From reading the original post I don't think these are neighbors pets. I have seen occasionally packs of dog running loose in the rural and they can be dangerous. I drove up to an abandoned farm house one day to remove the service. I walked over to the transformer pole to open the switch and here came a pack of dogs out to get me. It was hot and heavy for a minute or two but I still had my switch stick collapsed and I went to swinging. If I had the stick run out I would have been in trouble as the only other thing I had were my 9's in my pocket and I was too far from the truck to run.

Plate plinker
03-16-2017, 09:52 AM
sorry I don't call many out but why would a dog catcher turn dogs loose. If anything theyd have them put down. If a dog catcher was truly letting dogs loose in the wild he would be out of work in a second and the city officials would have some serious explaining to do. Can you imagine the liability issues with letting a dog loose like that if it did attack a child. Sorry but this aint my first rodeo. Just an excuse to justify killing them.

The DC may be a tree huggin freak? Also I don't recall anybody saying gut shooting is a good idea. I like dogs too but feral dogs are real. I know my neighbors dogs and I suppose most of others do too and they are dealt with by telephone and a rope.

btw I have been on both ends of this scenario. RIP blackie.

alamogunr
03-16-2017, 10:42 AM
Strange that no one has addressed the problem of pets allowed to run loose and join a feral pack. Comments?

johnson1942
03-16-2017, 10:42 AM
its calving time here and every one knows their neighbors dogs. a neighbors dog that is cared for can be easily seen, as a stray that is wild looking and ruff coated and acts like a wild animal. about 15 years ago i had a 150 pound dong i liked very much but she took to roaming at night and i could not stop her. next she would have started taking calves. i cried when i did it but i had to put her down. i had to. i never got another dog. the ones i see that follow the roads for road kill are way different than family dogs. they can be spotted in a second. those are the ones to shoot. i have a neighbor that has a female that decides to go to town now and then, when she goes by my place i call them and they go get her. also two ridgebacks came through my yard headed north. they were well fed and and did no harm. i just called the law to let them know in case the rancher who owned them called in so he could maybe find them. also a couple of greyhound came through recently also. i called the owner and he headed in the direction also to try and get them back. not every dog should be put down, just the wild ones that kill game and are a danger to kids. out in this country, the mountain lions usually take care of any stray dogs. they are a mountain lions favorite food beside barn cats.

Gavetta
03-16-2017, 10:47 AM
Lloyd says it all.all this sociopathic **** about killing dogs that trespass on your property bring Lloyd to mind on a windlesssunny day about a 1000 yards out,thinking about his dog you killed

Ballistics in Scotland
03-16-2017, 10:50 AM
lots of post here are no doubt from people who don't have dogs.

I wouldn't count on it. We see posts by people who have people, but brighten their drab little lives. perhaps not just the waking hours, with the thought of getting to kill somebody. I never hunted rabbits the less for having a tame wild one (which Darwin says can't be done) who thought he was one of the cats until he tried to climb their tree and found his claws wouldn't work. But the other rabbits didn't regard humans as somebody they could trust, and I certainly never in my life lost a wounded rabbit, let alone deliberately sent one off wounded. If it takes a town jury to convict for that, a town jury it ought to be.

Some feral dogs can indeed be dangerous, although there is usually a human at the root of it. The size of rottweilers and similar breeds is an added complication, for Jack Russells get kicked off and hear some uncanonical language every day, while rottweilers get into the papers with nothing worse.

But panic is a frequent complication. When someone lacking in confidence gets onto a pretty good horse, it will often think "here's where I have a bit of harmless fun", and a lot of feral or temporarily-feral dogs are the same. Fold your arms out of reach, talk to them quietly and walk slowly towards them, and most will calm down. A pack of Arabian wild dogs, probably not owned by anybody in hundreds of generations, certainly did for me, and came to regard me as their special friend. They never struck me as irreformably dangerous in the way baboons did. A friend of mine has another in retirement in Spain, and she took the job of house dog seriously from the first minutes. Neither were a fraction as alarming as my Irish terrier, who is harmless to man or beast, even rabbits, but does a marvellous imitation of non-contact karate when kids come over the wall after a ball. Heaven knows where a roar that size comes from. He would range harmlessly for a half-mile and a half-hour with interesting company, and I know what I would think of his being shot and perhaps deliberately maimed by a lower life-form than himself.

There can certainly be a need, sometimes, to kill feral dogs. I don't know if the expression "sheep-worrying" crosses the Atlantic? It means biting, not just getting them nervous or perplexed. A farmer can shoot any dog caught in the act, or he can advertise that he has experienced sheep-worrying and any dog found on his land will be shot. Then he has the right to, but otherwise he could be in trouble. That about covers it. I certainly wouldn't draw any wider conclusions from one dogcatcher being seen releasing dogs. Is there any profession on earth where the occasional member doesn't get caught bending?

texasnative46
03-16-2017, 11:52 AM
To All,

BE GLAD that your problem is "feral dogs". - Here in South Texas, we have a plague of feral hogs, wild or abandoned donkeys & (imo, THE WORST) roaming packs of COY-DOGS & WOLF-HYBRIDS that are TRULY WILD, AGGRESSIVE & DANGEROUS.

yours, tex

jcwit
03-16-2017, 01:26 PM
Here where I live the problem is with feral cats, and I live in town albit a small one that has an ordinance against shooting.

popper
03-16-2017, 01:57 PM
Why do people not realize these animals are smart (well, except armadillos) and return to their 'natural' mode of operation very quickly (whatever their survival mode is). Then they are no longer 'pets'.

GOPHER SLAYER
03-16-2017, 02:57 PM
We live in a semi rural area and people from larger towns frequently drive up with there dog in the car or truck and kick them out of the vehicle. We often see the dog walking around, looking confused, thirsty and hungry. They have no dog collars so it is easy to tell they are drop offs. These slime balls apparently think that people with large property must surely need a dog. My wife and I took in one of these drop offs and kept the dog until she passed eleven years later. As for a dog catcher releasing dogs he caught, maybe we could chalk it up to job security.

richmanpoorman
03-16-2017, 03:02 PM
Move to WY, ID or MT ....... the wolves take care of any wild dogs. When all the dogs are gone, the wolves get a TSX through the guts.

texasnative46
03-16-2017, 04:26 PM
richmanpoorman,

Here in South TX, the wolves BREED the feral bitches & the pups grow up to be FIERCE, PREDATORY & UNAFRAID of people. = NOT really fun.

yours, tex

Smoke4320
03-16-2017, 04:42 PM
just give 'em a little antifreeze to keep 'em warm at night :)

Tackleberry41
03-16-2017, 06:35 PM
Could be worse, my neighbor takes in every dog or cat they see. They had alot of fun slaughtering our chickens, ducks, turkeys, and rabbits. Even went as far as hiding the evidence at times. Never once offered to do anything about it. Now when a neighbors dogs were chasing his horses, suddenly it was.....different. I think they have 8 or 9 dogs now. Several small ones are in a pen, the rest just roam as they please. I put alot of effort and expense into a fence to try and keep them out. Not sure how many have been hit by cars, but keeps the horde numbers down. One is a little Boston Terrier that barks at everything, it slips easily in and out of the fence. Of all of them its the one I hate the most. If it were to disappear, I would automatically be blamed. They even blame me for ones hit by cars. One got run over a couple Thanksgivings ago while they were out of town. I buried it, but then I was hiding the evidence of shooting it. So I learned, now I leave them to rot in the road in front of their house. Animal control does not exist in the sticks.

As for animal control releasing dogs. Some say it would never happen, depends on how lazy the guy doing it is. And would be difficult to prove without video evidence, so not a whole lot of liability.

Catshooter
03-16-2017, 08:03 PM

Lloyd,

No offence, but surely you can't be this naive? Like no one has ever heard of a Post Man who threw mail away, or a mortician who got paid to bury loved ones but kept them in his garage, a congress critter lying or even a President who wanted to destroy (change fundamentally) America?

I love dogs, there's one sitting on my lap as I type this. I certainly don't know the circumstances of the OP, not personally. But I have heard many others talk about the same problem with people dumping their dogs & cats. He should just let them pack up and kill all many of critters and maybe a person or two?

In his shoes I'd SSS. You live in a place for a while and you can see who owns what dog. And the other posters are right, ferals stick out.

Cat

sghart3578
03-16-2017, 08:16 PM
I'll add another wrinkle. I work in remote areas in state and national forests. It is not uncommon for yuppies from town to bring their dogs out for a day hike in the El Dorado forest or Tahoe forest and let them run deer all day. They think it is cute and hilarious.

Sometimes these dogs don't come back when it is time to drive back to Sacramento or San Francisco. These dogs run loose until they run into a pack of coyotes or, more commonly, start pestering the mountain folk and their trail horses. Then it is all over.

Not everyone in California is a tree hugger.

MaryB
03-17-2017, 12:13 AM
An assumption was made everyone has animal control a few minutes away. I could call the sheriff but 99% of the time he will tell me to shoot the stray they don't want to deal with it.If a deputy happens to be in town he might stop and then he shoots it. Same result, the "pet" someone dumped that turned wild is now dead. If they are tame and come to me I can call them to pick them up but the deputy often takes them out to a gravel pit and shoots them because we do not have animal control in this country at all!

And yes I have been a dog owner. Once they turn wild they are dangerous.

M-Tecs
03-17-2017, 01:01 AM
An assumption was made everyone has animal control a few minutes away. I could call the sheriff but 99% of the time he will tell me to shoot the stray they don't want to deal with it.If a deputy happens to be in town he might stop and then he shoots it. Same result, the "pet" someone dumped that turned wild is now dead. If they are tame and come to me I can call them to pick them up but the deputy often takes them out to a gravel pit and shoots them because we do not have animal control in this country at all!

The is true for most of rural America. The nearest Animal Control is may be 100 plus miles away. The town police may catch them it the can. If caught and not clamed after normally three day they are taken to the town dump or landfill and shot. That was not true in my home since the State Predator Control officer lived in town. He just shot them. In the mid seventies the town was the center of a mining boom. That was over by the early 80's. Lots of dogs were abandoned in the area. They become a real problem for livestock and wildlife. He made an announcement in the local papers during stated times he would be in the air shooting any free roaming dogs. He shot a lot of dog but solved the problem.

OS OK
03-17-2017, 03:34 AM
The problem at the core of this mess is always an irresponsible person...I don't think mankind is going to survive itself!

Col4570
03-17-2017, 03:58 AM
Providing it is not just a lot of good old Boys wanting to try out their firearms on any canine that ventures into their territory,one must think twice about the distress caused to a dog owner who discovers or not that his beloved four legged friend has been destroyed.Whilst I do fully understand that dogs will return to the wild and go through the hierarchy of Pack formation all animals share this Planet with us and should receive respect from us who have domain over them.Here in the UK Dogs are shot by Farmers and livestock owners legaly only if the Canines are caught in the act or identified as the culprits and can,t be rounded up.The terrain in the US is obviously more condusive to Pack formation but consideration is required when dealing with somebodies Pooch that has gone astray.

Ballistics in Scotland
03-17-2017, 05:44 AM
Providing it is not just a lot of good old Boys wanting to try out their firearms on any canine that ventures into their territory,one must think twice about the distress caused to a dog owner who discovers or not that his beloved four legged friend has been destroyed.Whilst I do fully understand that dogs will return to the wild and go through the hierarchy of Pack formation all animals share this Planet with us and should receive respect from us who have domain over them.Here in the UK Dogs are shot by Farmers and livestock owners legaly only if the Canines are caught in the act or identified as the culprits and can,t be rounded up.The terrain in the US is obviously more condusive to Pack formation but consideration is required when dealing with somebodies Pooch that has gone astray.

The dumping of dogs happens everywhere. But since it could so easily be done somewhere quiet, with no numberplate or witnesses, I hope this story was just a case of the dog seeing something moving and leaping out of a window, making it stupidity and callousness rather than premeditated evil. It is a very busy highway, where you need a good excuse if you're caught stopping.

The dog looks to have saluki blood. I've known the pure-blooded article, extremely good-natured dogs, but my old collie plainly recognised serious intellectual limitation when she saw it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39268184

GhostHawk
03-17-2017, 07:22 AM
Sorry col4570 but I must disagree.

I am a dog owner, I do not allow my dog to run.
Responsible owners never do.

Irresponsible owners ARE the problem.

If you do not want your dog to get shot wandering onto someone else's property do not let it wander. Confine it, or teach it to stay home. That is the point, and the only point.

Anyone who does not deserves what they get.

You go to any city of any size and any animal found wandering loose is picked up, held for 3 days then destroyed.

Why should anywhere else be any different?

Teddy (punchie)
03-17-2017, 07:38 AM
Here in Pa as stated earlier. Dogs owned or turned out, chasing cattle, livestock up to the farmer if they choose to let them live. Now that said I never shot at a dog. Sheep farmer had a few that they had trouble with, the little ones are the pain he told me once. Most are house dogs and the larger ones chase but just don't understand how to take a 150-200 lbs of sheep down, the little 25 pounds dogs hit the neck area. We have not had a dogs problem for years like 40 or so. Back then yotes were just coming around, now I think they control them. I'm not so sure the large yotes we have aren't inbreeding with dogs or did so in the past. Large male here average 45 an up, one I shot weighted 55.

About dog and club etc. My Dad tells of Granddad teaching, my dad to use a longer walking staff if you will to use on dogs. Hit the dog in the body not the head, they'll move there head and swing around and bit you. Hit them in the front chest and knock them off stride and then wait and do it again, they'll pass on. Granddad was born in 1880's in Romania where they had a huge farm family owned. He came here to become an an American but didn't care for this country, he hope to return to his home. But depression and wars changed all that and had two uncles that were WWII vets. I was taught to raise calves in the barn tide to a post, wall, pen etc. and lead them to mom twice a day.

Gut shooting is just wrong. I know of a large number of farmer shoot a ton of deer in the summer this way, sad.

By the way we try to be neighborly. Now that said, if your dog is chasing anyone or damaging someone elses's property, they need to be under control, by you, by the law, or by the person dealing with them.

By the way if your pet kills livestock you the owner are liable for the damage your dog did.

First bite law, PA your dog get one bite , after that the state says it must be put down. Lady we did sale hay to has $$$$ dogs. One she had it trained and papered that if you are bitten if is your fault because it is registered with the state and trainers that it is certified that it has been tested, basically as a protection dog you did something to make the dog bite. Almost like a police dog, but police are not spending $$$$ this lady did, I think she told me it took 3-4 training's and that was over 2 years. That he needs to go back every so often.

Lloyd Smale
03-17-2017, 07:52 AM
no different then gut shooting them. hope no one ever feeds your dog antifreeze thinking its feral or shoots your kid with a bb gun because there on your land!!!! Anyone that would feed even a wild animal antifreeze needs to see a therapist. If a dog catcher around here was turned in for turning dogs loose in the wild would probably be visited by a lynch mob. Its him that's the problem not the innocent dogs that are turned loose that have no choice but to find a way to eat. Its them that should be fed some lead.

What should be done is to make it a felony to dump a dog in the woods. Make it a year in jail mandatory minimum sentence. Triple it if its an idiot that the city or county hired as a dog control officer. Why anyone would feel its right to punish an innocent dog because some sick individual dumped one on the side of the road is beyond me. You wouldn't put a girl in jail after being raped because she broke a curfew or was trespassing when she got raped. those dogs are victims.

Yes they need to be removed or even put down if there dangerous but its not up to you and I to judge which are feral and which are someones pet that happened to get loose. If your officials wont respond to the problem then either its not a real problem or you need to spend your time going to a town meeting with a group of like minded people to change things not out poisoning or shooting them. Yes I will concede that theres even ranchers and farmers that these animals are a big problem for. But how many people here recommending you do things like this own farms or ranches???? Maybe its a bigger problem where you live. I don't know. But my guess is its more a matter of shoot first ask questions later. Id bet most who here who do it don't even try to call animal control. I just wonder how youd react if your son who picked up your attitude killed the neigbors dog because dad said they all need to die and in turn the owner shot him! I'm telling you one thing. You don't want to be the one that shot my dog because you have that attitude because I LOVE my dog. I LOVE HIM AS MUCH AS ONE OF MY KIDS! As do many other dog owners. You shoot him because hes on your land and its not a bit different then if you shot my grandkids because they were on your land. Wow be to you!! I will hunt you down and rid this world of your sick mind. If it lands me in prison so be it! Ever see what an animal that drinks antifreeze goes through before it dies????? It isn't pretty!
just give 'em a little antifreeze to keep 'em warm at night :)

Lloyd Smale
03-17-2017, 07:59 AM
Plate plinker you said nobody here is a proponent of gut shooting them and letting them run off. Id say theres one here encouraging it.
22 LR in the liver and no shoveling required.

Plate plinker
03-17-2017, 08:59 AM
Plate plinker you said nobody here is a proponent of gut shooting them and letting them run off. Id say theres one here encouraging it.
Sorry missed that guy.

M-Tecs
03-17-2017, 08:21 PM
Am I advocating gut shooting feral dogs. No, the reality is in most area's feral dogs are rare. I can't speak for the mild weather areas but in the areas that have hard winters very few truly feral dogs can survive the winter. Owners that don't take care of their dogs and let them run wild are much more common. Not the dogs fault but sometimes the only way to got the owners to take control is if dogs make it home a die on the door step.

In rural and semi-rural areas coyote snares are very common and in coyote problem area's the State Predator Control uses cyanide traps like these.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/federal-cyanide-trap-injures-eastern-idaho-boy-kills-dog/ar-BByhTwf?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=edgsp

POCATELLO, Idaho — Federal authorities have confirmed that a cyanide trap intended to kill coyotes in eastern Idaho instead killed a dog in an incident that local law enforcement officials say also injured a 14-year-old boy.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture acknowledged Friday that workers with its Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service's Wildlife Services placed the device called an M-44. The device activated and killed a 3-year-old Lab named Casey on Thursday near Pocatello.
"APHIS' Wildlife Services confirms the unintentional lethal take of a dog in Idaho," the agency said in an emailed statement to The Associated Press. "Wildlife Services has removed M-44s in that immediate area."
It's not clear how many other devices had been set.
Bannock County Sheriff Lorin Nielsen in a statement said the boy's father reported that his son had been covered in an unknown substance and the dog had died.
"Initially, we were just trying to determine what it even was — that was our biggest concern" said Capt. Dan Argyle, who responded to the call at about 1 p.m. Thursday. "We have never dealt with these before."
He said the device was on top of a ridge about 500 yards from the boy's home, which is in a foothills area with other homes outside Pocatello.
The boy was transported to a hospital emergency room to be tested for cyanide poisoning but was not seriously injured and was released. The rest of the family was also checked for cyanide poisoning and released.
"It's a miracle the child wasn't seriously injured or even killed," Argyle said.
M-44s are spring-activated devices typically smeared with bait that shoot poison into an animal's mouth when it tugs on the trap. The federal government uses the devices to control predator populations in an effort to limit losses to livestock operators.
Wildlife advocate groups and some environmental groups condemn the devices, contending that they can kill non-targeted species.
Theresa Mansfield, the boy's mother, said her son was walking their dog on a hillside behind their home when they encountered the device. She said her son was knocked down when it activated, and that he watched as the dog died.
"Seeing something like that stays with you," she told the Idaho State Journal (http://bit.ly/2mCFmGu).
The Pocatello Fire Department and a hazardous material crew also responded to the area.
Argyle said the device was in a patchwork area of private and public land and is believed to have been placed on U.S. Bureau of Land Management land. Argyle said the area is frequented by hikers, bikers and ATV riders. He said the area also has some sheep grazing.
"Wildlife Services is completing a thorough review of the circumstances of this incident, and will work to review our operating procedures to determine whether improvements can be made to reduce the likelihood of similar occurrences happening in the future," the Agriculture Department said in the statement.

MaryB
03-17-2017, 09:53 PM
13 people per square mile where I live, in a handful of tiny towns mostly. Poorest county in the state to top it off. No money to form an animal control unit and the few deputies are already way over worked covering a county that is 75 miles long. No town cops in most of the towns either. So animal control is non-existent and will never be because of lack of funds.

no different then gut shooting them. hope no one ever feeds your dog antifreeze thinking its feral or shoots your kid with a bb gun because there on your land!!!! Anyone that would feed even a wild animal antifreeze needs to see a therapist. If a dog catcher around here was turned in for turning dogs loose in the wild would probably be visited by a lynch mob. Its him that's the problem not the innocent dogs that are turned loose that have no choice but to find a way to eat. Its them that should be fed some lead.

What should be done is to make it a felony to dump a dog in the woods. Make it a year in jail mandatory minimum sentence. Triple it if its an idiot that the city or county hired as a dog control officer. Why anyone would feel its right to punish an innocent dog because some sick individual dumped one on the side of the road is beyond me. You wouldn't put a girl in jail after being raped because she broke a curfew or was trespassing when she got raped. those dogs are victims.

Yes they need to be removed or even put down if there dangerous but its not up to you and I to judge which are feral and which are someones pet that happened to get loose. If your officials wont respond to the problem then either its not a real problem or you need to spend your time going to a town meeting with a group of like minded people to change things not out poisoning or shooting them. Yes I will concede that theres even ranchers and farmers that these animals are a big problem for. But how many people here recommending you do things like this own farms or ranches???? Maybe its a bigger problem where you live. I don't know. But my guess is its more a matter of shoot first ask questions later. Id bet most who here who do it don't even try to call animal control. I just wonder how youd react if your son who picked up your attitude killed the neigbors dog because dad said they all need to die and in turn the owner shot him! I'm telling you one thing. You don't want to be the one that shot my dog because you have that attitude because I LOVE my dog. I LOVE HIM AS MUCH AS ONE OF MY KIDS! As do many other dog owners. You shoot him because hes on your land and its not a bit different then if you shot my grandkids because they were on your land. Wow be to you!! I will hunt you down and rid this world of your sick mind. If it lands me in prison so be it! Ever see what an animal that drinks antifreeze goes through before it dies????? It isn't pretty!

Catshooter
03-18-2017, 12:01 AM
Yea, pass a law, that'll fix it.

Cat

Ballistics in Scotland
03-18-2017, 04:34 AM
Am I advocating gut shooting feral dogs.

Not now but you were, and the only good thing to be said is that it could have been for internet status, rather than actually doing it. But you came to the right place for encouraging some suggestible lamebrain that it would be smart to actually do it.

M-Tecs
03-18-2017, 05:37 AM
Not now but you were, and the only good thing to be said is that it could have been for internet status, rather than actually doing it. But you came to the right place for encouraging some suggestible lamebrain that it would be smart to actually do it.

Actually I have done it and under the right circumstance I would do it again. On feral dogs the quicker and more humanely the better. Problem is most of them are being feed somewhere.

When I was still living in my home town area I owned and helped train one of my colts into a superb barrel racing horse. I had a hand shake agreement to sell this horse for the an amount the was equal to two brand new pickups. That was until I got a call that some dogs were in our pasture chasing the horses. They were still they when I got there. They had ran my barrel horse into the fence. After I saw the damage they had done I shot two with the 243 hoping for collars but no luck. My barrel horse had cut its shoulders and legs so badly it was never able to race so the deal was off.

The dogs came from about two miles away. A lady had move in from the big city and she had 30 to 40 dogs that she was feeding outside. She would drag them in from everyway but when something happened she would claim not hers. When the police would catch them in town she wouldn't claimed them and after awhile the cops took them to the dump and shot them. Couldn't directly link ownership to her so I was just out a horse that was valued at about the cost of two new pickup trucks.

She lived about a mile and 1/2 out of a town of about 800 people. The towns folk and her were always fighting about the dogs but nothing getting resolved. About a year later one of the towns 8 year old girls was mauled by a pack of dogs. Blinded in one eye and facially scared for life. After that most of her dogs were shot on sight by the towns folk, yet she would just drag more in. This was in a rural area in a state that has no case law and the gun was legally empty if there was not a round in the chamber. Everyone drove pickups and every pickup had a gun rack in it with at least one rifle and one shotgun.

See didn't get the message when the State Predator Control officer would fly around the edge of here 360 acres of land and shot dogs form the air. Nothing stopped her from getting more dogs until the towns folk started shooting them in the liver/guts and letting them run home to die. After a dozen or so that got the message through to her. I shot three that way in our pasture and I know two made it home to die on her porch. All three were with a Winchester 75 22LR with a 15 power Litschert scope. Normally used it for red fox with hollow points. The first one was with hollow points. That one did make it to her porch. The other two were with solids. They made it home before dying.

What do I regret about that. I regret not shooting more. Had the town or I not waited till after a girl was damaged for life things for both her and I may have been different. Not the dogs fault but what do your do the owners don't get the message????????

A question for the folks advocate the 3S's. What do you do in the winter time when you can't dig a hole?

As I type this a dog is sleeping on my feet.

54bore
03-18-2017, 05:43 AM
We have a little dog, she is like a child to us. When we first moved here our immediate neighbors on the one side had 2 Boxers, our backyard is 6 Ft chain link all the way around, those boxers would sit and stare nonstop at our little dog, ours was afraid of them and wouldn't go nowhere near that side of the yard, my little dog NEVER barks or yaps at anyone, she is a total people lover, i was over on the fence line one day, i tried petting the boxers, they would let me touch them but they were so intensely focused on my little dog that they acted almost brain dead like statues, i could see where they had dug holes all along the fence line, the owner and i have known eachother for quite awhile, he and i were visiting through the fence one day and i told him that if his dogs ever dug into my yard and got my little dog that i would kill both of them, even if they had made it back into his living room!! The guy knew i was DEAD SERIOUS. People need to have Control of their animals, Plain N Simple!!

Ballistics in Scotland
03-18-2017, 05:51 AM

A therapist would tell you they can't do much with someone who values the disorder. Of course dumping dogs in the wild is wrong, and so is taking them there if they are going to run off and seek a better deal than they've got - which in some cases does credit to their judgment. I imagine the former is criminal in most places, and in the UK microchipping of dogs, which most professional breeders have been doing, became mandatory. I think doing it to criminals and people getting married might have more point, but there is definitely enough of a need to justify it.

Of course any dog which is actually doing harm has to be killed. Unfortunately when damage to stock or danger to children actually is prevalent, animal prime suspects don't get the benefit of the doubt or right to a court judgment human ones do. But there is a world of difference between that and posing as the alpha male deciding what can come into his territory, or saying "Whee, I can kill something I don't need a tag for!" As for trapping, the existence of another barbarism doesn't make an alternative form of barbarism OK. There aren't many countries where you can buy monstrosities like the M-44 or leghold traps, or set any kind of trap in the open.

About the sickest thing I ever read on the internet was in a board on trapping. Someone said, and was applauded for saying, that animals biting off their own feet to escape didn't matter that much, since they were so formed by nature that they didn't mind it very much. They were staunch sixth-day creationists too, and can you believe that one creature with an electric light bulb above his head realised that that meant Divine sanction for the leghold trap?

http://harpers.org/archive/2016/03/the-rogue-agency/7/

http://dark-mountain.net/blog/congregation-total-chaos-and-greed-on-trapping-wolves-in-montana/

Lloyd Smale
03-18-2017, 07:24 AM
I agree you cant argue with some. I will say once more that its not the animals fault in any of this. Some of you have such hatred and distain for them that its sad. They didn't ask to be set out in the woods to starve. If the people that did it would realize its more humane to put them down then to set them in the woods this wouldn't happen. But like people that will gut shoot them people that wont take care of business themselves are just cowards and warped individuals.

I look at my own little pup at my feet and wonder HOW some of you can be so quick to condemn a dog just because its on your property. You claim you can tell which are feral and which are pets? I say BS. Unless that dog is attacking you or one of your animals you don't have a clue. A dog 50 yards away moving across a field that's yours and you think you have the right to shoot it??? Who made you judge jury and executioner. I don't care if a dog made nasty noises at your kid 5 years ago. If a kid walking down the street in NYC pushes you and takes your wallet or knocks down your wife or kid or takes your wifes purse does that mean all kids in NYC should be shot on site. I don't care what happened to your friends friends friends uncle! If one truly does attack you then kill it. Its the random killing I'm against. Like I said in a previous post. Do what you want, tell your self you have the right to kill but be careful! You don't want to shoot mine! Was at the buddys house the other day. He has horses and cows in the pasture and we had a ball watching his dog and my pup out there playing with them. Be pretty easy to walk up on it some morning and think those dogs were attacking the other animals when in fact it was far from the truth.

BIS this post obviously wasn't aimed at you. You are a bit more level headed then some here. As to passing more laws I will say this. Many laws are passed to protect the many from a few that feel they can do whatever suits them. For the most part animals don't benefit from them. If your local law enforcement doesn't have time to deal with it then they should either make the time or you should consider standing up for them next time they ask for a small tax increase to fund there department. I think most of those arguments are bs too. If I had a truly dangerous wild dog in my yard and called the police id bet id get a response about anywhere in the country and surely in a rural area where you probably know the person your talking to on the phone. if they didn't come when you called and one attacked your child they know the law suite would about destroy them. So there going to come.

this aint my first rodeo. Unless you live in the back woods of Alaska 200 miles from a town you have local police to take care of it. Bottom line is if killing them is enjoyment for you then just admit it. Just quit trying to sugar coat it or justify it. But don't try to pull the wool over this guys eyes. Like I said we don't have a problem here. If you have a problem there then its because of the quality of the people living next to you not that dogs or cats act worse there. Deal with the REAL problem. Make it so tough on someone that's considering it that they realize maybe they should man up and take care of it themselves or bring them to the local dog pound. Its kind of like gun control laws. doesn't it make more sense to drastically increase the penalties for committing a crime with a gun to deter them. Same thing here. Same ones that don't want laws are the type that think they can do anything they want without regard to others. Ill rest my case now. I know some of you see red all the time. Its always your way or the highway. Nothing I said in any of these posts is wrong. Don't know about where you live but theres already laws against killing a dog up here. Just had a kid put 3 months in jail for shooting a guys beagle he claimed was chasing a deer. Should have been 3 years! I chuckle at the judge, jury and executioner bunch we have here. Hope its not ever your dog that gets killed. Or your kid that goes to jail for doing it because that's the example you set for him.
A therapist would tell you they can't do much with someone who values the disorder. Of course dumping dogs in the wild is wrong, and so is taking them there if they are going to run off and seek a better deal than they've got - which in some cases does credit to their judgment. I imagine the former is criminal in most places, and in the UK microchipping of dogs, which most professional breeders have been doing, became mandatory. I think doing it to criminals and people getting married might have more point, but there is definitely enough of a need to justify it.

Of course any dog which is actually doing harm has to be killed. Unfortunately when damage to stock or danger to children actually is prevalent, animal prime suspects don't get the benefit of the doubt or right to a court judgment human ones do. But there is a world of difference between that and posing as the alpha male deciding what can come into his territory, or saying "Whee, I can kill something I don't need a tag for!" As for trapping, the existence of another barbarism doesn't make an alternative form of barbarism OK. There aren't many countries where you can buy monstrosities like the M-44 or leghold traps, or set any kind of trap in the open.

About the sickest thing I ever read on the internet was in a board on trapping. Someone said, and was applauded for saying, that animals biting off their own feet to escape didn't matter that much, since they were so formed by nature that they didn't mind it very much. They were staunch sixth-day creationists too, and can you believe that one creature with an electric light bulb above his head realised that that meant Divine sanction for the leghold trap?

http://harpers.org/archive/2016/03/the-rogue-agency/7/

http://dark-mountain.net/blog/congregation-total-chaos-and-greed-on-trapping-wolves-in-montana/

54bore
03-18-2017, 09:06 AM
Lloyd Smale, i agree with you on QUALITY of people living next to you. There are some people that have ZERO business owning a dog, or a Hamster for that matter! My sister and her husband are really genuine good people, but somehow every dog they have ever owned turns out either aggressive to some degree, or wierd in some way, I don't care if it was a poodle, golden retriever, let them raise it and it will be a wierd dog. I know DAMN well that they dont abuse a dog, but they have ZERO sense when it comes to raising, and training a dog.

finstr
03-18-2017, 11:19 AM
To All,

BE GLAD that your problem is "feral dogs". - Here in South Texas, we have a plague of feral hogs, wild or abandoned donkeys & (imo, THE WORST) roaming packs of COY-DOGS & WOLF-HYBRIDS that are TRULY WILD, AGGRESSIVE & DANGEROUS.

yours, tex

So when can we come down to hunt them?

Smoke4320
03-18-2017, 11:31 AM

If you look at my post closely you will see the smiley at the end ... to most that means its in FUN.. A JOKE ...as it was meant

But with that said I am betting you live in the city.. I don't .. we get dogs and cats dropped off all the time.. call the county dog catcher and their answer is do you have a gun .. if so you shoot them .. the only time I have done that is when they become threatening
killing my livestock
and yes I have dogs but I also keep them around me .. they are never let out to run loose for hours at a time so they MIGHT wonder off

silverbuzzard
03-18-2017, 11:40 AM
Private property , POTENTIAL threat to life .
In several states , you may shoot dogs that are running deer ,threatening humans etc.. You don't have to decide if they MAY catch the deer or MAY attack a human THIS TIME.
Pure Orwellian socialism to think you MUST call someone else to deal with a problem that God granted us the authority to act upon.
If still not convinced , view photos of children /adult that have been attacked by dogs , wild and domestic. Nothing further need be debated.

Lloyd Smale
03-18-2017, 12:55 PM
Might want to take a look on the map at where I live. I live in the upper peninsula of MI. Nearest real city (and its a small one) is greenbay Wisconson which is a 150 miles from here. Nearest 4 lane highway is a 100 miles from my door. We have 3 what we call citys in the UP (most of you would call them towns) the town I live in has between 500 and 600 people depending on the season. I doubt you will find any few people per mile anywhere other then montana/ Wyoming where they have ranches that go for miles. I find it hard to believe you live in any more of a rural area.
If you look at my post closely you will see the smiley at the end ... to most that means its in FUN.. A JOKE ...as it was meant

But with that said I am betting you live in the city.. I don't .. we get dogs and cats dropped off all the time.. call the county dog catcher and their answer is do you have a gun .. if so you shoot them .. the only time I have done that is when they become threatening
killing my livestock
and yes I have dogs but I also keep them around me .. they are never let out to run loose for hours at a time so they MIGHT wonder off

Lloyd Smale
03-18-2017, 01:02 PM
God DID NOT give you authority to kill my dog. But he did say an eye for an eye and didn't stipulate that it was a human eye he was talking about. Kill a dog up here and your going to jail. Only thing wrong with that is it shoud be prison. While you looking at pictures of people mauled by dogs. take a look at pictures of dogs harmed by man. there was just a case in the news where someone cut the nose and ears off a Rottweiler and turned him loose in the wild. Another one on the national news where some tied a rope from one puppys leg to another puppys leg and threw them up over a tree limb and left them to die. These were puppys so small they weren't even weened from there mother. You don't even have to watch tv or do an internet search. Just go down to your local dog pound and talk to them about the cruelty they have seen with there own two eyes. Even wild dogs don't hold a candle to some of you. Remember every wild dog you see is because some human abused a pet, turned him loose to starve. Seems to me theres as many people that should be shot on sight as dogs. Funny thing about dogs running deer too. Most states its illegal to shoot or harm in any way a wolf that kills hundreds of deer in its life but god forbid a beagle chances one and makes it tired!
Private property , POTENTIAL threat to life .
In several states , you may shoot dogs that are running deer ,threatening humans etc.. You don't have to decide if they MAY catch the deer or MAY attack a human THIS TIME.
Pure Orwellian socialism to think you MUST call someone else to deal with a problem that God granted us the authority to act upon.
If still not convinced , view photos of children /adult that have been attacked by dogs , wild and domestic. Nothing further need be debated.

fiberoptik
03-18-2017, 01:19 PM
As a teen I would ride my bike down the road and this one big red dog would chase me all the time. Got tired of pedaling my a$$ for all I had to keep my feet. Took my K-bar one day under my rump. When he caught up to me I let him have it across the nose with the handle. Funny how he never chased me again. Another dog bit me once; I bit him back … no more problems again. Did same with a yearling colt who tried to eat my finger, at 12 years old I drilled him between the eyes [emoji102] and he hit his knees. Hand was numb for 2 weeks! He behaved as well after that. Funny how that works. =8;^)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcwit
03-18-2017, 01:27 PM
Looks as tho we have a person putting animals in the same league as a human!

Smoke4320
03-18-2017, 01:37 PM
I believe LLoyd is passionate about dogs .. I get that and think that is just fine
being cruel to an animal just to be cruel I don't stomach well either
Now Again when they begin to threaten me, or mine my priorities change

PS LLoyd I live in farming country .. 36 acre farm (hopefully in the next 2 years 46 acres) surrounded by many 100's of acres
my block is 6 miles around
in that 6 mile trip there may be 20 houses total
There are only 3 including mine in the first 2 miles
maybe not as remote as you but just fine for me

jcwit
03-18-2017, 01:49 PM
It is wrong to be cruel to any of God's creatures.

But to take out a feral dog or cat humanly is an entirely is a whole different ball game.

I too live in a small town, 3,000 population, a small parcel of land 1/4 mile from me has been turned into government sup. housing, we are now over run with cats, once in a while a dog. Sad but true.

alamogunr
03-18-2017, 02:08 PM
As a teen I would ride my bike down the road and this one big red dog would chase me all the time. Got tired of pedaling my a$$ for all I had to keep my feet. Took my K-bar one day under my rump. When he caught up to me I let him have it across the nose with the handle. Funny how he never chased me again. Another dog bit me once; I bit him back … no more problems again. Did same with a yearling colt who tried to eat my finger, at 12 years old I drilled him between the eyes [emoji102] and he hit his knees. Hand was numb for 2 weeks! He behaved as well after that. Funny how that works. =8;^)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was about 11 or 12, I had a paper route that I carried on my bicycle. There was a big boxer at one house I passed that always made a run at me. Usually I ignored him and he would leave me alone. One day he decided to take a bite out of my ankle. The next day I filled a water gun(you remember the little plastic ones) with a solution of water and ammonia(not very strong. When he came for dessert, I squirted him as fast as I could with the ammonia solution. That "aggressive" dog yip-yipped all the way home. Never bothered me again.

I hope Lloyd doesn't consider that cruel.

OS OK
03-18-2017, 02:19 PM
God DID NOT give you authority to kill my dog. But he did say an eye for an eye and didn't stipulate that it was a human eye he was talking about. Kill a dog up here and your going to jail. Only thing wrong with that is it shoud be prison. While you looking at pictures of people mauled by dogs. take a look at pictures of dogs harmed by man. there was just a case in the news where someone cut the nose and ears off a Rottweiler and turned him loose in the wild. Another one on the national news where some tied a rope from one puppys leg to another puppys leg and threw them up over a tree limb and left them to die. These were puppys so small they weren't even weened from there mother. You don't even have to watch tv or do an internet search. Just go down to your local dog pound and talk to them about the cruelty they have seen with there own two eyes. Even wild dogs don't hold a candle to some of you. Remember every wild dog you see is because some human abused a pet, turned him loose to starve. Seems to me theres as many people that should be shot on sight as dogs. Funny thing about dogs running deer too. Most states its illegal to shoot or harm in any way a wolf that kills hundreds of deer in its life but god forbid a beagle chances one and makes it tired!

"Atta Boy Lloyd...I couldn't agree with you more. Somewhere in the past life or ancestry of every wild, once domesticated dog there is an irresponsible human in the mix."

charlie

silverbuzzard
03-18-2017, 02:29 PM
OOHHHH you PEOPLE are SOOOO cruel. Think of it. The dog hit with a crow bar ends up dating an ugly dog when it was his destiny to marry Daisy.
They produced litters that were all UGLY, all of them committed dog a cide by biting truck tires. The entire gene pool was wiped out because you meanies played God.
The ammonia bath made THAT dog die from chlorine gas poisoning because it jumped in a swimming pool to wash off. How dare you make decisions to benefit humans . Geeeesh I'm beginning to sound like Hillary voters

Ballistics in Scotland
03-18-2017, 03:15 PM

Well it could be worse. They could have been shot in the liver and spent a few days dying. Or indeed been harmed by humans who come to court and despite being known predators, get acquitted for lack of evidence about the specific act. Or even suffered brain damage falling off a horse that thought they halfway liked it.

It doesn't seem unfair that animals should get a bit less protection than humans, and they do. "My little Wilbur hung out with a street gang that did things, but he didn't" doesn't carry as much weight if Wilbur is a dog. But the law is right in jurisdictions where some clear danger is required for even that line in vigilantism without obvious danger, and wrong where it isn't.

Plate plinker
03-18-2017, 03:44 PM
This thread should die.

country gent
03-18-2017, 04:05 PM
Most states now have leash laws the owner is responsible for damage caused by their animals whether its a dog running livestock, or an animal hit on the road. I don't like or want to shoot a dog or cat unless I have to. Feral cats and domestic cats will decimate a chicken house in a short time. Domestic animals are worse than most wild animals as they hunt for sport and kill for no reason wild kill what they eat ( though they do come back as long as "food" A is available). Released Dogs can decimate a small sheep heard in a few nights. A pack of dogs that are aggressive towards people is a big concern and need to be dealt with, preferably as humanly as possible.

knifemaker
03-18-2017, 04:25 PM
There used to be a government code section, I believe it was in the Dept. of agriculture sect. that stated if a dog came on to your property and "harasses" any livestock on your property, you have the legal right to shoot the dog and you can not be held liable for any criminal or civil action for shooting that dog. That livestock can be cows, sheep, chickens, rabbits. As a deputy sheriff patrolling a rural area, I carried copies of that code with me to give to any person having problems with stray dogs running loose on their property and harassing their farm animals.
I also gave copies to persons moving to the country from a city environment and feeling that it was ok to allow their dog or dogs run loose because they now lived in the open county. Most of them made the decision to keep their dogs at home after viewing that government code. I can not recall what section the code was under, but a search should turn it up for persons that are interested in that particular law.

silverbuzzard
03-18-2017, 04:40 PM
My last thought on this:
I left out a crucial point when I spoke about eliminating a threat. If the dog ,coyote, cougar,what have you, shows aggression ,advances etc, then BOOM
A stray dog moving through does not rise to that level. If it does not keep moving ,it's pound bound if possible and they will of course GAS it.

Rufus Krile
03-18-2017, 05:02 PM
There seems to be a genuine acceptance that critter problems are best handled by animal control officers... In many cases, these are the same folks that are paid by the city to nap in the park or behind a business. Several years ago there was a large Chow in the neighborhood that ran loose twice a day... very aggressive dog... Walked out my front door one day and it made a run at me... while its owner stood on the side walk and laughed about it. I reminded him of the local leash law and pointed out that, if I had to, I would kill his dog bare handed before beating the **** out of him for making me do it. He continued to laugh. Two days later, same dog chased my two daughters on their bikes. After admonishment from my wife, I called animal control. By the time he got there the dog was already back in his house. Animal control said "nothing he could do" if the dog wasn't out. I told him the dog's schedule was before 0800 and after 1700 and he explained that he doesn't work at those ungodly hours. I asked him if he was the one that had to pick a dead dog up out of the street. Nope. I told him not to worry about it then... I'd just shoot the SOB. He said that I couldn't DO that. Told him I was a pretty good shot... "But you'd go to jail!" Told him I'd sooner go to jail than let my daughters get chewed up by the outlaw Chow. He reluctantly agreed to do his job. I still left the miscreant the message that I would shoot his dog on sight even if it was tied to him on a short leash. He walked it in a different neighborhood after that. We need to keep in mind what we're discussing here. Dogs.... and people. A dog bite is bad. A dog attack is a whole 'nother thing.

Lloyd Smale
03-18-2017, 06:00 PM
yup and there at work claiming that your paid to basically goof off at your job too. totally bs argument!!!!!!!!! Funny how a couple of you together here have experienced more dog attacks then ive seen in the local papers in my whole life. I think if a dog barks at some of you you pee your pants.
There seems to be a genuine acceptance that critter problems are best handled by animal control officers... In many cases, these are the same folks that are paid by the city to nap in the park or behind a business. Several years ago there was a large Chow in the neighborhood that ran loose twice a day... very aggressive dog... Walked out my front door one day and it made a run at me... while its owner stood on the side walk and laughed about it. I reminded him of the local leash law and pointed out that, if I had to, I would kill his dog bare handed before beating the **** out of him for making me do it. He continued to laugh. Two days later, same dog chased my two daughters on their bikes. After admonishment from my wife, I called animal control. By the time he got there the dog was already back in his house. Animal control said "nothing he could do" if the dog wasn't out. I told him the dog's schedule was before 0800 and after 1700 and he explained that he doesn't work at those ungodly hours. I asked him if he was the one that had to pick a dead dog up out of the street. Nope. I told him not to worry about it then... I'd just shoot the SOB. He said that I couldn't DO that. Told him I was a pretty good shot... "But you'd go to jail!" Told him I'd sooner go to jail than let my daughters get chewed up by the outlaw Chow. He reluctantly agreed to do his job. I still left the miscreant the message that I would shoot his dog on sight even if it was tied to him on a short leash. He walked it in a different neighborhood after that. We need to keep in mind what we're discussing here. Dogs.... and people. A dog bite is bad. A dog attack is a whole 'nother thing.

Lloyd Smale
03-18-2017, 06:02 PM
don't think that's cruel. Shooting him in the but with a 22 sure would have been though. You taught a dog a lesson. Maybe a bit harsh of a lesson but you did no long term damage to it. Was maced myself a couple times in the service and I lived through it just fine.
When I was about 11 or 12, I had a paper route that I carried on my bicycle. There was a big boxer at one house I passed that always made a run at me. Usually I ignored him and he would leave me alone. One day he decided to take a bite out of my ankle. The next day I filled a water gun(you remember the little plastic ones) with a solution of water and ammonia(not very strong. When he came for dessert, I squirted him as fast as I could with the ammonia solution. That "aggressive" dog yip-yipped all the way home. Never bothered me again.

I hope Lloyd doesn't consider that cruel.

jcwit
03-18-2017, 06:12 PM
yup and there at work claiming that your paid to basically goof off at your job too. totally bs argument!!!!!!!!! Funny how a couple of you together here have experienced more dog attacks then ive seen in the local papers in my whole life. I think if a dog barks at some of you you pee your pants.

Oh, Good Grief!

Lloyd Smale
03-18-2017, 06:15 PM
Nope your wrong there. 90 percent of the dogs in the world are in a better league then most of you here with your sadistic minds. Problem is I shouldn't say that. Just like a dog it is a matter of how you were raised! Bottom line is BAD DOG=OWNER PERIOD! In 10 years of living the average dog gives more love to its owner then any of you have in you in 80 years. 8 years in the military and let me tell you theres many people id put down way before a innocent dog. A dog that cant fight back. takes a real man! You guys are a waste of time. I'm not going to fix whats been damaged a long time ago. You people don't need me you need a psychiatrist. Like I said anyone that condones feeding poison, antifreeze or gut shooting an animal isn't even a man in my book.

Looks as tho we have a person putting animals in the same league as a human!

jcwit
03-18-2017, 06:28 PM
Like I said anyone that condones feeding poison, antifreeze or gut shooting an animal isn't even a man in my book.

Hey there big boy, reply here where I claimed I'd condone any of the above?

Lets see it in big bold letters!

I buried more than a few feral cats last year, each one with a single shot to the head.

jcwit
03-18-2017, 06:31 PM
let me tell you theres many people id put down way before a innocent dog.

So once again you claim to condone murder!

Now tell us who's sick! Claiming to be a soldier of God?

Lloyd Smale
03-18-2017, 06:32 PM
Smoke I appreciate you explaining yourself. You and I have disagreed in the past but i do repect you. I know sometimes a guy gets wrapped up in a post and says stuff he doesn't really mean. Unlike a few others here i know you your a good man. Maybe if i lived somewhere where feral dogs were a REAL problem and those places are very rare. Or if i owned a farm that i fed my kids with the income and dogs were killing my animals and i actually saw it with my own eyes. Not repeating what my cousins brothers sister saw in the news paper 3 countys away I might feel differently. But bottom line is theres a few here that need some counseling for there hatred. I kill ALOT OF ANIMALS. I shoot probably an average of 50 deer a year. Sometimes twice that. One thing though with me is i will NEVER take a marginal shot. If a 100 yards or less i will head shoot them. Any farther then that i bust both front shoulders and take out the heart. If i cant get a shot like that i walk away and wait for the next. 10 years of this and we have never lost a deer. We kill humanely. I ask nothing else here. If you were hunting with me and told me you took a gut shot because it was the only shot you had youd be riding home off the end of my foot!!! IF YOUR FEEL THE NEED to kill one of those dogs at a least have the class to put it down humanely. If you cant, let it go and wait till tomarrow. Only a coward would gut shoot one or poison one. Like ive said over and over. Its not that dogs fault. Its the idiot who put that dog in that situation.
I believe LLoyd is passionate about dogs .. I get that and think that is just fine
being cruel to an animal just to be cruel I don't stomach well either
Now Again when they begin to threaten me, or mine my priorities change

PS LLoyd I live in farming country .. 36 acre farm (hopefully in the next 2 years 46 acres) surrounded by many 100's of acres
my block is 6 miles around
in that 6 mile trip there may be 20 houses total
There are only 3 including mine in the first 2 miles
maybe not as remote as you but just fine for me

Lloyd Smale
03-18-2017, 06:35 PM
didn't see where i used your name once anywhere. ;)
Hey there big boy, reply here where I claimed I'd condone any of the above?

Lets see it in big bold letters!

I buried more than a few feral cats last year, each one with a single shot to the head.

Lloyd Smale
03-18-2017, 06:36 PM
give it a rest! Your really grasping for straw.
So once again you claim to condone murder!

Now tell us who's sick! Claiming to be a soldier of God?

jcwit
03-18-2017, 06:36 PM
didn't see where i used your name once anywhere. ;)

Used my quote, same thing!

jcwit
03-18-2017, 06:38 PM
give it a rest! Your really grasping for straw.

It is what YOU said,is it not?

I have always thought "put down" ment to kill!

jonp
03-18-2017, 06:46 PM
Chows are nasty and vicious. This thread appears to have descended into the typical argument between the same few that take over every thread. If a dog takes a run at me and is off of a lease I'm free to shoot the darn thing to protect myself. If it enters my yard I consider it hostile unless it walks up and sticks it's tongue out waiting to be petted. Knowing a dog is not of a friendly nature is not hard to tell if you watch the dog and know it's body language. If I had kids I'm not waiting for it to attack them, though. Unless the dog is known to me and wanders around to play with kids then it will get put down if it exhibits the least amount of agression. Period. People, control your dogs if they are in the habit of biting or threatening people.

As for that person that laughed when his dog took a run at me? Wouldn't have laughed when I shot it stone dead on the spot.

M-Tecs
03-18-2017, 06:46 PM
Lloyd - Same can be said for people that don't accept reality. Most of my life I have owned dogs as pets or as hunting dogs. Most of the problems with dogs stem from their owners. You apparently have never had to deal with the problems really bad owners create. What do you do when their are no legal options and talking to the owner does nothing??????????????

Approximately 3 to 4 millions dogs are euthanized per you in the US. About 2.5 millions are by animal shelters.

Please post your address so we can send some of these to you.

About twenty years ago a female friend moved to the county and started trying to save stray cats. At first it was just a few than word got out. She would come home and there would be boxes of cats in the drive way or loose cats running around.

I helped her build cages and various things for her and her self funded cat rescue. Though the years she found homes for 400 to 500 cats, however, some were too sick or had too bad of disposition to be placed. Every couple of months she would have me shoot those.

Her self funded cat rescue just about bankrupt her and drove her half nuts.

Hopefully you do better when we start sending them to you. Good luck.

Or aren't you man enough to put some action behind your mouth???

jcwit
03-18-2017, 06:48 PM
Chows are nasty and vicious. This thread appears to have descended into the typical argument between the same few that take over every thread. If a dog takes a run at me and is off of a lease I'm free to shoot the darn thing to protect myself. If it enters my yard I consider it hostile. If I had kids I'm not waiting for it to attack them. Unless the dog is known to me and wanders around to play with kids then it will get put down. Period. People, control your dogs if they are in the habit of biting or threatening people.

As for that person that laughed when his dog took a run at me? Wouldn't have laughed when I shot it stone dead on the spot.

Agreed!

starmac
03-18-2017, 07:07 PM
Some people are deathly afraid of a dog no matter the size or if it is mean or not.

A story of two guys I knew that turned out somewhat bad.
We had a mechanic that kept his weimeramer with him all the time, if he was working at the yard it would run loose in the yard. The dog would run at everybody that pulled up and got out, barking like it was going to eat them, but just wanted petted when it got to you.
One of our superintendients was afraid of dogs, it didn't matter ig it was poodle or chow, and told the mechanic if his dog ever chased him back into his pickup again he would kill it.
It was just a matter of a week or so when he came to the yard and the dog was there and he shot it dead, The mechanic, who was a big boy came running at him and come very close to getting the same treatment. It took a while and there was never any love lost between them, but they did finally put it behind them.

Boaz
03-18-2017, 07:09 PM
I will not lie , haven't read the last few pages of this topic , don't need to .

I trapped and hunted pert near all my youth (trying to cut this short , bear with me) .

Was 17 years old , my cousin who was quite a bit older than me asked me to come down to Lampasas TX . They had a problem with what then was called...Red Wolfs . Slang name back then for ferial dogs , they were killing sheep and goats wholesale . I love dogs , was unsure of killing them . Feral dogs ain't pets , seen up to 39 sheep killed in a night , when domestic dogs go wild in a pack it's unbelievable ..they are no longer pets but worse than coyotes . They will kill till they physically wear out ..they can't stop killing .

They only worked at night , they had no territory ...roamed on a circuit like wild hogs . You couldn't plan on them coming back to a kill , totally different animal . My trapping skill produced little .

Truly wild dogs ...kill em , you provide a mercy to them , eat up with parasites and pitiful . Just kill em .

M-Tecs
03-18-2017, 07:24 PM
. They had a problem with what then was called...Red Wolfs . Slang name back then for ferial dogs , they were killing sheep and goats wholesale . I love dogs , was unsure of killing them . Feral dogs ain't pets , seen up to 39 sheep killed in a night , when domestic dogs go wild in a pack it's unbelievable ..they are no longer pets but worse than coyotes . They will kill till they physically wear out ..they can't stop killing .

Coyotes tend to be very efficient killers. When a pack of dogs goes after sheep lots of sheep will get bit and chunks of hair and hide pulled out. The kill site will generally look different. The struggle will be normally over a much larger area. The exception is young coyotes. It can be very difficult to tell their kills from a pack of dogs. A friend in my home town raised sheep in the 70's and 80's.

During lambing time hunting over the pregnant ewe's produced a lot of coyotes and more than one dog wanting to get in on a lamb dinner.

Blanket
03-18-2017, 07:27 PM
351.26. Right and duty to kill untagged dog It shall be lawful for any person, and the duty of all peace officers within their respective jurisdictions unless such jurisdiction shall have otherwise provided for the seizure and impoundment of dogs, to kill any dog for which a rabies vaccination tag is required, when the dog is not wearing a collar with rabies vaccination tag attached.
CREDIT(S)
Amended by Acts 1961 (59 G.A.) ch. 193, § 9; Acts 1994 (75 G.A.) ch. 1173, § 33.

351.27. Right to kill tagged dog

It shall be lawful for any person to kill a dog, wearing a collar with a rabies vaccination tag attached, when the dog is caught in the act of chasing, maiming, or killing any domestic animal or fowl, or when such dog is attacking or attempting to bite a person.

CREDIT(S)

Amended by Acts 1994 (75 G.A.) ch. 1173, § 34; Acts 2007 (82 G.A.) ch. 111, S.F. 406, § 1.
HISTORICAL AND STATUTORY NOTES2007 Electronic Update2007 LegislationActs 2007 (82 G.A.) ch. 111, S.F. 406, § 1, deleted "worrying," following "caught in the act of".

Code of Iowa on the subject where I live there are no animal control

texasnative46
03-18-2017, 07:50 PM
Lloyd Schmale,

FINE. Keep your pets on leash & OFF our farm. - In the event that we catch them "chasing stock", expect a .22 Hornet or .243WCF through their head or chest. = FACT.

yours, tex

Boaz
03-18-2017, 09:14 PM
I am not saying to kill your neighbors dog . If that is the case ...warn em . Chicken killin dogs can't be cured ..just a fact . Dogs that kill or torment livestock belong in town , not where they can not do damage .

Rufus Krile
03-18-2017, 09:42 PM

LLoyd.... I don't have to worry about someone blaming me for goofing off. I'm retired after 40 years chasing drilling rigs. I was never so accused. As far as seeing dog attacks, yup, I've seen more than my share... been handling big working dogs for a LOT of years... learned to walk hanging on to pointer collars (no real problem there)... first full-on attack I witnessed was one of the AF guard dogs going into a local national outside a bomb warehouse/dump in sunny south east asia. Dog was one of the AF GSD's that probably weighed in excess of 130lbs. About 40lbs more than the local national. More than 200 stitches but she lived. Next one came from a 'food guarder' dobie that nailed a kid. Similar results. I love... and respect... big working dogs. Lost my rottie recently to cancer and down to just one dobe at the present. I do NOT respect anyone that mistreats animals. I do NOT respect anyone that won't do their job... especially when it is to protect the public. I do NOT respect anyone who carelessly and snarkily attacks another poster for merely stating his beliefs. My biggest problem was not with the Chow... it was with the owner. I was prepared to kill the dog if it attacked but I intended to use the dead dog to discipline the owner. I will not allow someone or someTHING to attack me on my property to go unpunished. Maybe it's a flaw in my character.

Boaz
03-18-2017, 09:46 PM
When Becky was 6 years old , it was winter , still dark when the school bus came . I had her lunch box made and she was standing at the road at the end of the gravel drive waiting for the school bus .

Neighbor down the road had a mean big red dog and two black labs . Everyone was scared of the red dog and the labs followed and backed him up . I was watching Becky wait for the bus front door , the three dogs come up when the bus got there . Red dog was in a stance growling , Becky ran back down the drive and fell down , I was already running to her . I ran at the dogs and backed em off . Carried in the house . Bus driver had seen the dogs and got off the bus to help her but I got to her first . She was cut up from the gravel , calmed her down as I put bandaids on the cuts . Driver waited (dang good man) and I got her on the bus .

Walked down to the dog owners place , pile of bricks and brick bats by the driveway . Threw a brick bat through the living room window . He came out on the porch in his underwear . I had a talk (he said nothing) and told him to keep his dogs up . I'll not repeat what I said but the chain link fence folks started putting up a fence the next evening .

silverbuzzard
03-18-2017, 09:51 PM
owners who let dogs run free should not pitch when dog gets shot
somebody here needs a rabies vaccine , bit too much advocating of human shooting

Blanket
03-18-2017, 09:55 PM
I have been in a situation where 2 Rottweiler's that belonged to a neighbor (a guy that moved to a rental house in the country from the city) had treed another neighbor in his combine one night, went after a bow hunter walking out to his truck and the last straw went after an elderly man going to the barn. I went to the owner and told him he needed to keep his dogs at home and he pretty much told me to GFMS. I shot both of them the next day at the back of a 240 acre section after they came at me. I live in the country 5 miles off the paved road and a half mile off the dead end 15 miles from a small rural town and the animals that get dropped off by the town folks varies. My county normally has one deputy on duty and response time is usually an hour. If a dog is aggressive, going after my animals, is sick and not acting normal I will shoot it. End of story

shooterg
03-18-2017, 10:22 PM
Raised on a small farm,100+ cows,40+ pigs, 1100+ chickens, raised corn,wheat,hay, everything we ate. Our collies would bring the milk cows in when milking time was near and leave the Angus out . Loved them dogs - they had the run of a few hundred acres, never tied up. Subdivision came in. New neighbors let dogs run free. Dogs started packing up, chasing calves/piglets. Some new neighbors dogs disappeared . What a mystery ! No malice intended toward neighbor or dog, but you do what needs doing.

NavyVet1959
03-19-2017, 02:13 AM
Chows are nasty and vicious.

I've owned 3 over the years. For the most part, they were just *indifferent*. They were too lazy to get worked up when the lawn service, pool service, or even electric and gas meter readers came by. They would kill armadillos or snakes that made it into the backyard though. They *hated* the water.

Three44s
03-19-2017, 03:14 AM
.................................................. .......

I look at my own little pup at my feet and wonder HOW some of you can be so quick to condemn a dog just because its on your property.

Was at the buddys house the other day. He has horses and cows in the pasture and we had a ball watching his dog and my pup out there playing with them. Be pretty easy to walk up on it some morning and think those dogs were attacking the other animals when in fact it was far from the truth.

this aint my first rodeo.........................

Where to even begin?

Do you think your dog knows the difference between your "sanctioned play" and proper behavior when it's roaming away from you?

Do you think your dog knows the difference between play you are encouraging and the killing for sport on someone else's door step?

Do you think that your dog has an appropriate line drawn between this thing you call "play" and destructive behavior?

Yet, when there is a discussion about problems with destructive dogs you resort to issuing serious threats to anyone that would harm your dog.

Three 44s

Lloyd Smale
03-19-2017, 06:55 AM
seems were getting more examples of owned dogs attacking people then feral dogs. these post do nothing validate my opinion that its not the dogs fault its the owners. As to my dog knowing the difference. He sure does. My dogs are raised to be gentle. If you broke into my house the last lab I had would grab you by the shirt sleave and drag you over to the treat box. There wasn't a mean bone in his body and the worse thing the labs Ive owned would do is maybe bark at strangers and to be honest that was only one of them and even he wouldn't hurt a fly. My point is that no one here is qualified to take one look at a dog and decide its a dangerous feral dog and not some neighbors kids pet. Funny thing is that some here will think its ok to kill and even torture a animal but I'm the bad guy because id like to kick there @@@. Sorry but its me that doesn't know where to begin. Dogs aren't born bad. Not even a rot, german shepard, pit bull or any breed. they are made to be mean or allowed to become mean by humans. I know theres feral dogs and dangerous dogs. Just because we don't have them around here doenst mean they don't exist. But I do have a problem believing that if some kid or even adult actually got hurt by one of them that your local and state officials wouldn't have eliminated the problem. Just for liability. If a neighbor kid got attacked by me and they did nothing and a month later my grandkid got attacked id be visiting a lawyer and I'm sure those municipality's around you if nothing else realize the legal mess that would be involved if they didn't.

As to stereotyping dog catchers as being lazy. that's bs and everyone here knows it. There are no more lazy dog catchers then there are lazy teachers, pipe fitters, carpenters, miners or any other profession and id bet theyd take exception to you calling them that just like you would if someone said everyone in your profession is lazy or doesn't do there job. Like ive said over and over its the few lazy dog owners that cause this problem not the dogs. Guys who get a dog and find out its work so kick them out the door. Those are the people you guys should be going after. THEY are the problem here not the dogs.

I'm sure glad I live in an area where my dogs are welcome. they can run free and do. They go off and visit the neighbors and the neighbors even keep treats for them. There young kids play with them. Sure glad I don't have a few of the guys on here living next to me because I can guarantee you wed tangle and my buddys don't call me bulldozer for nothing. Funny thing is all ive been proponent of here is being humane. To either let the people paid to do it decide or if you really do need to take it into your own hands you do it ethically. But some will continue to argue it and claim its there right to do anything they want to them. They think that a dog thrown out in the woods instantly becomes something that shouldn't be shone any respect what so ever. Something that can be left to die a miserable death. I guess I'm gullible. I thought most here were better then that. So if you want to continue to twist my words go for it. Ive got big shoulders and not a single one of you will ever get under my skin.

Lloyd Smale
03-19-2017, 07:11 AM
and there lies a big part of the problem. Lots are just afraid of dogs. Same ones that condone killing them. They don't even care if its a good dog or bad. If its on there property there fear drives them to kill it or worse. Many dogs will growl when they see a stanger not because there going to attack but because there more afraid then you are. These are the people that think there the judge jury and executioner. then you have the type that think they have a right to kill anything. Same ones that as kids too bb guns out and killed birds and chipmunks just for the fun of it. Thankfully I wasn't raised like that. My dad was an avid hunter and gun owner. IF he would have caught me needlessly killing an animal I would have had it shoved down my throat raw! Why? because there Gods creatures not mine.

If seeing a dog running across your yard makes you wet your pants or just looks like a target to try out a load you worked up I feel sorry for you. Your no better then the man who kicked that dog out to fend on its own. There is NO LIVING THING that ive ever had the pleasure of knowing that is more full of love then a dog. 99 percent of them are born just like that. Its people that force them to be any different. Look at that puppy in my avatar. That's what some of you are passing judgement on. that's what they all start out as before some warped human changes. Why would you not want to deal with the problem at its source? I know if we had ANY kind of a problem here that endangered my kids grandkids or even my dog id be standing on the court house steps DEMANDING the problem is taken care of. Letting them know that if they don't want to deal with it in the woods they will be dealing with it in the courts. I just don't understand how if you do have a big problem in your area the people living there don't stand up to the officials responsible or ban together to get rid of them and elect people who will. Ill tell you why I think it isn't handled like that. Its work. You have to actually spend a few hours doing it. Its much eaiser just to shoot them or put some antifreeze out there to kill them. Starmac this surely isn't aimed at you. You made a real good post. I feel I have to say that because some here think I'm talking about them when I quote there post[smilie=b:
Some people are deathly afraid of a dog no matter the size or if it is mean or not.

A story of two guys I knew that turned out somewhat bad.
We had a mechanic that kept his weimeramer with him all the time, if he was working at the yard it would run loose in the yard. The dog would run at everybody that pulled up and got out, barking like it was going to eat them, but just wanted petted when it got to you.
One of our superintendients was afraid of dogs, it didn't matter ig it was poodle or chow, and told the mechanic if his dog ever chased him back into his pickup again he would kill it.
It was just a matter of a week or so when he came to the yard and the dog was there and he shot it dead, The mechanic, who was a big boy came running at him and come very close to getting the same treatment. It took a while and there was never any love lost between them, but they did finally put it behind them.

jaydub in wi
03-19-2017, 09:33 AM
all you need to know is this:

I couldn't have said it better. Let this thread die. Thanks

Ballistics in Scotland
03-19-2017, 09:58 AM
[QUOTE=Lloyd Smale;3989496]While you looking at pictures of people mauled by dogs. take a look at pictures of dogs harmed by man. there was just a case in the news where someone cut the nose and ears off a Rottweiler and turned him loose in the wild. Another one on the national news where some tied a rope from one puppys leg to another puppys leg and threw them up over a tree limb and left them to die. These were puppys so small they weren't even weened from there mother. You don't even have to watch tv or do an internet search. Just go down to your local dog pound and talk to them about the cruelty they have seen with there own two eyes.[/QUO
TE]

Well look at it this way. It is a substitute for the humans they would rather be doing it to, and put smilies on messages to their friends if they have any, because it is fun. Take a look at the punch line of the big joke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene_glycol_poisoning

You're right about humans being at the bottom of most dog misconduct, but it isn't only by bad training and neglect. Sometimes it is by irresponsible breeding. I would be very wary of a rescue dog, even taken young, which had a few generations of being bred for illegal dog-fighting. Or even of pit bulls which had been left to do their own matchmaking, without being selected for good nature. Some of the fashionable show breeds have become neurotic or prone to endless hereditary defects through breeding for exaggerated looks at the expense of all else. There are also owners like 54bore described, who aren't abusive or in search of a canine button-man, but just don't understand canine psychology well enough to avoid the dog becoming either neurotic or the boss. Maybe they tried to convince them with logical argument, a tactic I have known to fail with species other than dogs.

A fairly reliable rule is that aggressive breeds are worse in the males than the females, and on territory than out on public property. But a neurotic dog can break all the rules. They will bite females or puppies, who are off limits for the normal. (A female, on the other hand, will bite anybody. No wonder they are called bitches.) In the UK at least a few years ago the dog which most often bit was the golden retriever, which has been mostly supplanted by the labrador as a gundog, and is bred for blonde good looks. But their victims tended to stay bitten less than some of the others.

But dog problems aren't always irreversible. Here is an account of how thousands of police dogs were successfully rehomed, and I believe the record compared well with more conventional rescue dog organisation. A lot of them were trained very much like normal police dogs. My father in law was a member of the Berlin Parliament, and Berliners, except when there was something in it for them, didn't demonise the East in the way many further afield did. What was really surprising, though, was that the dogs which were tethered to a running wire round the clock were often withdrawn, but if anything less aggressive than the others. They had spent the time bored and looking for company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz_jnPmYcu4

We seem, as usual on this medium, to be hearing of more people masterfully dealing with dogs, than dogs get dealt with. Jack London claims that a man with a broom handle can bully a lion, which would be an interesting thing to watch from a safe distance, and that no dog is a match for a man with a club. But then, no dog is a safe match for an old man baboon either.

brassrat
03-19-2017, 10:44 AM
I grew up in a small town, the neighbors Shepard mix was kind of a bully. I was around eight or nine and he jumped and ripped the shoulder off my coat and made another leap, which got halted. I got a nice neck hold of him with my puny little forearms and got him yelping pretty good. No gun and he was good after that. His furry replacement was a great target for my Daisy and in his own yard thou. He would see the rifleman and run. I never missed. The gun was pretty weak and he was all fur, other than that fun, I would never hurt one for fun, but just a couple yrs ago, in the city, at my apt. a big, unfriendly looking Pit came trotting at me, I trotted around the corner of the house onto the stairs and small porch, and inside. He makes the corner and stands there wondering where I was. We were lucky I didn't need my pocket Beretta .22. The very diverse owners showed up trying to catch him, soon after.

Lloyd Smale
03-19-2017, 12:07 PM
so your bragging that you repeatedly shot a neighbors pet in his own back yard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How old are you?????
I grew up in a small town, the neighbors Shepard mix was kind of a bully. I was around eight or nine and he jumped and ripped the shoulder off my coat and made another leap, which got halted. I got a nice neck hold of him with my puny little forearms and got him yelping pretty good. No gun and he was good after that. His furry replacement was a great target for my Daisy and in his own yard thou. He would see the rifleman and run. I never missed. The gun was pretty weak and he was all fur, other than that fun, I would never hurt one for fun, but just a couple yrs ago, in the city, at my apt. a big, unfriendly looking Pit came trotting at me, I trotted around the corner of the house onto the stairs and small porch, and inside. He makes the corner and stands there wondering where I was. We were lucky I didn't need my pocket Beretta .22. The very diverse owners showed up trying to catch him, soon after.

Rufus Krile
03-19-2017, 12:36 PM
so your bragging that you repeatedly shot a neighbors pet in his own back yard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How old are you?????

Perhaps if the owner had either trained or restrained his dog then Brassrat would not have had to do it for him. A bb gun isn't a toy, but on thick haired/ thick skinned animals it is unpleasant. A shock collar would be a viable and preferred alternative but would present you with some application difficulties if it wasn't your dog. Again... you might want to tone down the snark if you want to discuss. You've succeeded in alienating most of the respondents, including me, to the point that you seem to be swimming against the tide. I'm not trying to change your mind about how we deal with aggressive dogs... but I would like to see a more respectful exchange with the other posters. I'm through.

Ballistics in Scotland
03-19-2017, 12:46 PM
P Again... you might want to tone down the snark if you want to discuss. You've succeeded in alienating most of the respondents, including me, to the point that you seem to be swimming against the tide.

Why would anybody want to do that? Quite a bit is coming through now that I think I covered in my last post.

NavyVet1959
03-19-2017, 12:58 PM
Those old Daisy Red Ryder BB guns were pretty low on velocity. Back in the old days before paintball and Airsoft, we sometimes shot each other with them. Sometimes, we shot *ourselves* with them after finding out that you should not try using a tire as a target. Surprisingly, we did not "put an eye out", but that was probably more due to luck than anything else. I think that these days, the Red Ryders are around 350 fps and I would not be surprised if the old ones were even less. From what I've seen of some of the people getting hit with paintballs on unprotected skin, I think the paintballs might hurt a bit more.

Shooting a dog that is on his own property though is not cool. Now, I had a neighbor who had a bunch of those little barking rat type dogs (chihuahuas and such) that would bark if a mosquito flew through the backyard. When they were barking at 03:00 outside my bedroom window when I was trying to sleep, it would often drive me to take retaliatory actions, especially in the winter. I have been known to go outside and decide to water the bushes along the fence at that hour and I'm not a very good aim with the water nozzle, so probably a lot of the cold water ended up getting onto his barking rats. :)

jcwit
03-19-2017, 01:43 PM
Not all mean dogs are mean because of how they were brought up by their owner.

Not all dogs that are love machines are that way because they were born that way!

country gent
03-19-2017, 02:14 PM
In town or a animal that's destroying stock ( the family next doors pet) the paint ball gun might be a good in between. Hit it with the paintball and send him home then call sheriff or animal control let them know what color and where the animals is from and when their pet is checked they can reimburse for damages. Had a neighbor that marked a "halloweeners" ( kids toilet papering and other mischief) car with one. Worked pretty good. Since they arnt poisonous and washable irts might be a solution in some cases.

starmac
03-19-2017, 02:16 PM
Not all dogs harrassing livestock are strays or mean. I have had to put down a couple of my own, when they got a taste of chicken or small pigs.
A dog does not have to be mean to run pounds off of beef, or keep a whole herd away from the water tank. This does not usually bother most hobby farmers, but ranchers that live off of their livestock is a whole different thing.

I never liked killing a dog, stray or not, yet have had to on occasion.

Dog attacks can and do happen. My sister was attacked and nearly killed by a german sheperd that was on a chain. It was owned by a friend of ours, and I had petted it just moments before it bit her.
Her daughter, my niece, years later was attacked by a stray and they quit counting at 360 stiches in her face and head, while not common, it does happen.

M-Tecs
03-19-2017, 02:46 PM
Other than working dogs allowing dogs to run unsupervised is irresponsible. Period. Same for kids. It's always the same BS line that my kids/dogs never do anything wrong. I have seen parents that when shown video proof still wouldn't believe that's their little darling. Not my responsibility and I am not paying for the damages.

None of the owners that I know of working dog will tolerate a dog that wanders too far. I classify farm dogs as working dogs even if their only job is to keep the deer and rabbit out of the farm yard.

Last summer when I was shooting prairie dogs we spotted a dog way out in the middle of nowhere. The dog came to the call. It appeared hungry and thirsty so we gave it a sandwich and water. It did have a collar and tag on it and it happened to be someone I knew. I called him up and told him we found is dog. It was 18 miles from the farm. He stated he would be down in about a half hour to shoot it since it was the third time in two months it was found over ten miles from the yard. I asked him if he want me to shoot it for him and he said he would appreciate it. Seemed like a nice dog so I asked him a little more about it and he stated it was a great dog except for being a "runner". I asked him if it was OK if a gave it to someone I knew that was looking for a large dog for a fenced area. He had been trying to give it away for awhile but no one wanted a "runner".

He said that would be great as long as I took the tag to end his responsibility for the dog since it didn't want to have to pay any for damages "his" do might do when he no longer owned it. He got his collar back and the lady I gave it to loves the dog to pieces.

The point is he had a collar and tag on it and was willing to take responsibility of his dogs actions. That is just the opposite of most *** owners that let their large dogs run free and unsupervised with no collars/tags/chips and will not own up to there responsibilities.

Not only are my dogs collared they have microchips so not denying responsibility or taking ownership for there actions.

Lloyd Smale
03-19-2017, 05:47 PM
what chance do you give to that dog being a friendly dog to strangers when hes getting shot in his own yard by people. these are the idiots that are causing these dogs to be aggressive. If you read his post it wasn't even the dog that attacked him it was the replacement for him. tone down the snark!! Its me that's got attacked for my opinion here more then anyone. Because my opinion doesn't agree with you or like I say I'm swimming against the tide I'm the bad guy here? I'm the problem when theres posters talking about gut shooting, poisoning and now torturing a dog that's done nothing in his own back yard!!!!!! I'm very proud to be swimming against this tide. My guess is some of you got beat up when you were kids and because your so weak taking it out on defenseless animals somehow in your warped minds makes you feel like a man. My guess is a REAL feral dog would cause you to stain your pants. By God I'm out of this one for sure this time. Nobody will bait me back. Just got a weird feeling that God was looking over my shoulder and shaking his head. At some of you for the total lack of respect you have for his creatures and the cruel way you treat them or if nothing else condone it, and for me because I'm wasting my time on bunch that aren't worth saving.
Perhaps if the owner had either trained or restrained his dog then Brassrat would not have had to do it for him. A bb gun isn't a toy, but on thick haired/ thick skinned animals it is unpleasant. A shock collar would be a viable and preferred alternative but would present you with some application difficulties if it wasn't your dog. Again... you might want to tone down the snark if you want to discuss. You've succeeded in alienating most of the respondents, including me, to the point that you seem to be swimming against the tide. I'm not trying to change your mind about how we deal with aggressive dogs... but I would like to see a more respectful exchange with the other posters. I'm through.

M-Tecs
03-19-2017, 07:33 PM
Lloyd

Answer one question for me. If your dog chases a $30,000.00 horse into a fence and the horse is injured to the point that it is useless are you going to pay the owner the $30,000 loss they have incurred because of your dog?

skeettx
03-19-2017, 07:43 PM
BANG, SHHH, Dig, SHHH, Smile, SHHH

A proper spaying program is our friend.
Save the animals from over-population.

sghart3578
03-19-2017, 07:54 PM
Lloyd

Answer one question for me. If your dog chases a $30,000.00 dollar horse into a fence and the horse is injured to the point that it is useless are you going to pay the owner the $30,000 loss they have incurred because of your dog?

That's a great question. And that issue is exactly what is driving our county ordinances here. The rich people buy a 5 acre "mini ranch" in the foothills here. They then buy some very expensive horses. And not necessarily English riders either. I pass by a ranch house several days a week. I have spoken to the owner on numerous occasions. He and his wife are retirees from the Bay Area/Silicon Valley scene.

He is not a rider but he indulged his wife with 4 very expensive western horses, two cutting horses and two reined cow horses. Cost? $25,000 each.

Now, how do you think he will react when the tweaker down the road who lives in his Mom's garage lets his pitbulls run wild and they maim one of his wife's horses? It happens around here regularly so the roads in this county are posted with warning signs that loose dogs will be shot.

Is it fair to the dog? Absolutely not. Is there a better answer? No, not when the dogs have no tags or collars and animal control won't respond unless a human is attacked. And if you could round up the dog and find the owner they will never admit to owning it.

It is the great conundrum of life. The ones that are the least responsible for their situation seem to pay the highest price, whether we are talking about animals or children.

M-Tecs
03-19-2017, 09:17 PM
sghart3578 Normally I don't quote myself but since it happened in the late 70's in this case I will quote myself. This is from post 98.

When I was still living in my home town area I owned and helped train one of my colts into a superb barrel racing horse. I had a hand shake agreement to sell this horse for the an amount the was equal to two brand new pickups. That was until I got a call that some dogs were in our pasture chasing the horses. They were still they when I got there. They had ran my barrel horse into the fence. After I saw the damage they had done I shot two with the 243 hoping for collars but no luck. My barrel horse had cut its shoulders and legs so badly it was never able to race so the deal was off.

The dogs came from about two miles away. A lady had move in from the big city and she had 30 to 40 dogs that she was feeding outside. She would drag them in from everyway but when something happened she would claim not hers. When the police would catch them in town she wouldn't claimed them and after awhile the cops took them to the dump and shot them. Couldn't directly link ownership to her so I was just out a horse that was valued at about the cost of two new pickup trucks.

That would have paid of college or my first house. Did I blame the dogs. No it was the owners fault 100%. The town, the police and the State Predator Control fly around the edge of her property didn't stop here from getting more dogs. She final stopped getting more dogs after she personally had to deal with a dozen or so gut shot dogs that went back to her porch. Terribly cruel yes but that was the only thing that got through to her.

She lived about a mile and 1/2 out of a town of about 800 people. The towns folk and her were always fighting about the dogs but nothing getting resolved. About a year later one of the towns 8 year old girls was mauled by a pack of dogs. Blinded in one eye and facially scared for life. After that most of her dogs were shot on sight by the towns folk, yet she would just drag more in. This was in a rural area in a state that has no case law and the gun was legally empty if there was not a round in the chamber. Everyone drove pickups and every pickup had a gun rack in it with at least one rifle and one shotgun.

See didn't get the message when the State Predator Control officer would fly around the edge of here 360 acres of land and shot dogs form the air. Nothing stopped her from getting more dogs until the towns folk started shooting them in the liver/guts and letting them run home to die. After a dozen or so that got the message through to her.

There was very serious talk about burning her house down with zero concern if she was in it. Had she not gotten rid of most of her dogs I believe that would have happened.

brassrat
03-19-2017, 09:35 PM
Holy cripes the dog would have been like 150' away and the bb would maybe go 200' ( X 3 secs} would be like 70fps it wouldn't even sting. You seem a little tightly wound up for a little kids fun.

sghart3578
03-19-2017, 11:29 PM
To M-Tecs,

You and I are in complete agreement. I am an animal lover, dogs and horses are the top two.

I feel for you and your experience in training the horse and then losing out.

I owned and rode my own trail horses for many years. I could never afford a first class performance horse, all of mine were grade horses from the auction or the occasional OTTB or Standardbreds that didn't make it on the race track.

But I know what it takes to turn out a horse of that caliber and you folks impress me. I have several friends that in the past have allowed me to ride top level reining horses, bridle horses and rope horses and they are a joy.

If you like I can post a picture of a horse I rode while escorting the roughstock into the main arena of the 2004 Reno Rodeo. He was a brute of a buckskin named Marshall. He was worth a lot of money to the owner and was used almost exclusively for roping range bulls.

All of this rambling is to demonstrate that guys like me are not heartless. But why should a dog be allowed to destroy one person's years of effort and love?

MaryB
03-20-2017, 01:03 AM
This has ran its course and is falling into pettiness.